Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Barenpark is better.

After three plays of the latter, I also think Barenpark is better than Gingerbread House. Gingerbread House is still a good game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I quite like Inis, but probably have a complaint that the epic tale cards swinginess can be a bit bananas. Has anyone tried a house rule with a market row or similar for the epic tale cards?

I was thinking of stealing the pyramid wholesale from the valley of the kings (so 3 cards on the bottom row, 2 in the middle, 1 on top. You can only select from the bottom row and move a card down into the new empty spot, top card goes into that slot, deal a new card. If no-one takes a card for a season the Brenn removes a card from the bottom row and crumbles down. The card that lets you look at someone's hand of epic tale cards still does that but as it's hidden trackable, it lets you bury any card in the pyramid as well.)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I quite like Inis, but probably have a complaint that the epic tale cards swinginess can be a bit bananas. Has anyone tried a house rule with a market row or similar for the epic tale cards?

I was thinking of stealing the pyramid wholesale from the valley of the kings (so 3 cards on the bottom row, 2 in the middle, 1 on top. You can only select from the bottom row and move a card down into the new empty spot, top card goes into that slot, deal a new card. If no-one takes a card for a season the Brenn removes a card from the bottom row and crumbles down. The card that lets you look at someone's hand of epic tale cards still does that but as it's hidden trackable, it lets you bury any card in the pyramid as well.)

I haven't played Inis in a bit despite being quite fond of it but the epic tale cards are all about being bananas, aren't they? The whole point is that they're almost hyper-specific to certain situations and you can either tailor your gameplay around them or have them as backup in a situation that works out. And wouldn't seeing what people have negate the "a ha, you activated my trap card" vibe and just lead to people deliberately avoiding any situation that would result in you getting good use from your epic tales?

Where's Angel Opportunity when you need him...

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I need someone to replace me in the pbf of 18Ireland here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872297&perpage=40&pagenumber=8

Please check it out!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Today I was at the game shop and I noticed Tiny Epic Zombies has finally been released :D Of course I picked up a copy! This Tiny Epic game is I think the most epic of the series. All of the TE games do replayability quite well, but Zombies goes to 11. It's kind of like an Arkham Horror type game (or maybe Dead of Winter, but I haven't played that). You play as a team of zombie survivors in a randomly generated mall (there are 9 map tiles, with a different room set up on each side). You are trying to do two randomly chosen objectives (like cure the virus, fill the helicopter, etc typical zombie movie stuff). It is amazing how much variability and content they managed to pack into this tiny pocket sized box. There is:

-4 game mods: Solo, Co-op, Competitive, and one vs many zombie competitive
-9 map tiles which are double sided and arranged in different configurations
-9 two sided objective cards with different co-op and competitive scenarios on each side
-14 character classes, with boss zombies on the opposite side
-a pile of item/event cards
-A bunch of tokens and meeples including a little wooden motorcycle and car

All this adds up to an extreme level of game density. Scott Almes is frankly a genius game designer. It's one thing to design a fantastic game, but to restrict yourself to such a tiny footprint and a $25 price tag is another level of challenge. He has managed to produce higher quality games than people with 4x the components and price. This game gets the Rutibex seal of approval!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Rutibex posted:

All this adds up to an extreme level of game density. Scott Almes is frankly a genius game designer. It's one thing to design a fantastic game, but to restrict yourself to such a tiny footprint and a $25 price tag is another level of challenge. He has managed to produce higher quality games than people with 4x the components and price. This game gets the Rutibex seal of approval!

I think you're overstating the replayability of Tiny Epic Zombies by a lot. The different map tiles/arrangements don't feel that different in gameplay, and a lot of the objectives are just "pick up all the tokens". Characters, as well - sometimes abilities get used 0-1 times per game.

I did enjoy the game but wouldn't want to play often. Quest and Galaxies are my preferred Tiny Epics. It is at least faster than Dead of Winter.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gamelyn Games could stand to make a whole line of winsome-like small train games with fancy art in tiny portable boxes and they could make bank. As it is, winsome games' clamshell packaging is about the same size as a small AEG box game anyway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chill la Chill posted:

fancy art in tiny portable boxes

Oh I forgot to mention, the meeples that come with the game are adorable "Item Meeples" that can hold little items. For this game your pawns can hold little chainsaws and shotguns:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 14, 2018

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Okay, those are pretty cute and cool.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rutibex posted:

Oh I forgot to mention, the meeples that come with the game are adorable "Item Meeples" that can hold little items. For this game your pawns can hold little chainsaws and shotguns:

Yes, they look adorable. But now imagine they're riding trains and each one is wearing a business suit and holding a stock certificate.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes, they look adorable. But now imagine they're riding trains and each one is wearing a business suit and holding a stock certificate.

:stoked:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also that they are porgs.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Who were the dexterity game gurus in the thread? I've recently taken quite a liking to them and want to hear some spicy recs

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Played 1.5 rounds of Betrayal Legacy, enough for a preliminary review.

First off: I have no patience for regular Betrayal (nor do a couple others in the group, while one guy is a fan), so I wasn't super optimistic coming into this - but it has been good.

The game itself is mostly unchanged mechanically - but at least so far it's been streamlined so much that it works. Over the campaign, it might grow back into the interminable random abomination that is Betrayal - but for now it's small and, dare I say, reasonably tight and sensibly thematic. And, most importantly, it gets done fast enough that you don't have time to fret about bad mechanics before you're back to reading Legacy cards, putting stickers on things, scratching off lotto paint, and discovering new CHILLING SECRETS.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Shadow225 posted:

Who were the dexterity game gurus in the thread? I've recently taken quite a liking to them and want to hear some spicy recs

Not a guru but:

Super Rhino
Junk Art
Meeple Circus
Piratoons (sort of)
Catch the Moon

...and there's one more that I am forgetting but its cover looks like a castle made of blocks and cones and may or may not be partially falling down and it has a weird name.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'll throw in a rec for Drop It. Got to try it last week and it was great. Rock Me Archimedes is also a really unique one that blends an abstract strategy game with dexterity elements that you can pickup at Target.

https://www.target.com/p/rock-me-archimedes-board-game/-/A-50939821

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Gameplay aside, I was disappointed in Tiny Epic Quest because they put such an emphasis on those meeples that can hold a couple items and made the little item rack and everything but in practice you get maybe one or two items per game and use them for like a round or two and then it's over. They hype those little suckers up so much that you'd think they would matter more than they do.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Gameplay aside, I was disappointed in Tiny Epic Quest because they put such an emphasis on those meeples that can hold a couple items and made the little item rack and everything but in practice you get maybe one or two items per game and use them for like a round or two and then it's over. They hype those little suckers up so much that you'd think they would matter more than they do.

I used lots of items when I played it. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Shadow225 posted:

Crokinole
Klask
Junk art

My top 3

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

They hype those little suckers up so much that you'd think they would matter more than they do.

They're the most important part of the game because they convinced people to give them money.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What's the most expensive game you could theoretically buy? How about Navajo Wars at a cool 68k?

Seeing the occasional crazy price on ebay or amazon, I always figured it was pricing bot edge cases / gone slightly insane but apparently it sometimes being money laundering is also a thing.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I was the other way around. I like them more in Quest than Zombies because you have multiple meeples per player in Quest, so it being easy to tell which is where is very handy. In Zombies I could just as easily see what I have by looking at the cards. Looks like Mechs will be the same, one per player so not a huge bonus.

The item rack is quite useless though.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

FulsomFrank posted:

...and there's one more that I am forgetting but its cover looks like a castle made of blocks and cones and may or may not be partially falling down and it has a weird name.

Could be Zendo?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Turns out the second edition of Conquest of Paradise comes with a mounted board, so by ordering an extra mounted board for the game, I ended up with an extra mounted board. :v: A game board can be transformed into a print n play game with some effort, right?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
A friend visited over the weekend so we played a whole lot of board games, many for the first time w/ two players:

Antiquity: Neat, but goddamn fiddling with all the little pieces is a real pain in the butt. First time we played it with two, I won by building all buildings, second time (with three), we all reached our goals at the same time. Haven't played with the saint who needs to expand over other people's territory though, that'd be neat.

Founders of Gloomhaven: I am absolutely terrible at this game and I can't figure out why. Something about the goals just don't click with me, though I find it interesting to play. I always like the Concordia-like action mechanic, but I feel like there's a better way to do the sort of resource-path management; I'll be darned if I can design something better though.

Calimala: Essentially an area control game where you throw down resources to have the most of a given resource on a board, or the most resources in a particular building. Peculiar action and scoring mechanic that I haven't seen anywhere else, where you stack actions on top of other people's actions, activating them all, and scoring the bottom one (but not activating it) if there are four there. Variable action setup and scoring order could make for a lot of replayability.

Millennium Blades: The two-player version of this kinda sucks. Also I don't have the mind to put together card combos like my opponent, a seasoned magic and LCG player did, so I got schooled pretty hard. Also I feel like the buy phase goes on just a little too long.

Dungeon Petz: Another game that doesn't really work at 2-players. Once one person gets a really good sale, the second player is kind of screwed. Shame, because I really enjoy the game, but I'm starting to see some real flaws with it, especially with how scoring and card draws work.

Forbidden Sky: My favourite of the Forbidden series. Lot more thought, much less luck and scrambling for 'that one tile', plus it's cool to create a circuit all over the board. Wish the roles were more inventive though, every game seems to have the same variants.

Reef: Solid meh. Maybe good for younger audiences, but the lack of any real player interaction, especially coming off of the knife-fight that was Azul, was such a disappointment. I won with little fanfare, and we barely even realized that the game end had been triggered.

Root: Two player with birds and cats, myself as birds. Was a strange game, I feel one that really doesn't touch on the strengths of the game as a whole. My opponent found that he couldn't do a whole lot as the cats as, once building spaces were taken up, he was basically relying on me to destroy stuff so he could get more points. I basically starting having an anxiety attack, playing the birds for the first time, though I never went into turmoil (got maybe a dozen cards deep).

Palace of Mad King Ludwig: Yawn. Didn't really feel like any of our choices were meaningful, and keeping track of things like scoring rooms and such was a pain in the butt. Would rather play Castles instead.

Archipelago: With three, not two, but we quickly implemented a house rule to remove the cards that gave you two/three automatic florins for the turn bidding phase, because those cards loving suck. Also does anyone have a variant for the exploration rules? Because being told that 'oh no, your action just fails and you wasted it' is the absolute worst way to handle it. We were thinking, like, a consolation prize, or spending money to attempt another tile, or something.

And a bunch more. drat, it was a good long weekend. Also wanted to play Brass, but the local game cafe doesn't have it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

time to sell my like-new original version

I'll give you $5

Jedit posted:

Don't rush to buy Glen More. There's a revised edition in prototype, and I'm looking at it right now. Photos to follow when I get home.

Any update on this?

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 15, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Morpheus posted:

L

Dungeon Petz: Another game that doesn't really work at 2-players. Once one person gets a really good sale, the second player is kind of screwed. Shame, because I really enjoy the game, but I'm starting to see some real flaws with it, especially with how scoring and card draws work.

Interested in hearing what you don’t like about the card system, since many people consider the needs cards one of the more innovative and best parts of Petz, myself included.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Aston posted:

Could be Zendo?
That sounds like Bandu, come to think of it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

That sounds like Bandu, come to think of it.

THAT'S IT.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1231/bausack

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Interested in hearing what you don’t like about the card system, since many people consider the needs cards one of the more innovative and best parts of Petz, myself included.

Well, quite simply, it can gently caress you when you want to sell.

I had a monster that was mostly purple. The seller coming up was going to reward magic needs, which was great, I was set to make a lot of money.

I think I drew something like 4 purple cards, two of them were 'fun', one of them was 'anger', the last one was magic. I was hosed and the pet got negative points, was worth almost nothing.

Stuff like that. Can barely plan for it, no real way to react to it. You could not sell it, and instead hope you get a buyer later that'll take it, and in the meantime your opponents sell their poo poo, get like 20 points, and start to leave you behind.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Morpheus posted:

Stuff like that. Can barely plan for it, no real way to react to it. You could not sell it, and instead hope you get a buyer later that'll take it, and in the meantime your opponents sell their poo poo, get like 20 points, and start to leave you behind.

You can save a card of each colour from round to round, 2 if you have the corresponding artifact. Get a few pets with similar needs and you can nearly guarantee a good draw for the pet you're selling this round.

Or play with the full version rule that you can always use the base need of each colour on top of what's depicted, so those 4 purples would have been 2x magic+fun, magic+anger and magic.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Hey there old timey tabletop game friends

I decided Formula D was cool and good and needed some sprucing up so I ordered some cars off of Shapeways and did my best to reproduce some modern F1 paint schemes in these itty bitty fellers for a big game this weekend:

Initially I tried to stick to the proper numbers and helmet colors for the drivers and teams, but that was quickly abandoned. I made Mercedes, Ferrari, Haas, Renault, and McLaren. I was also initially disappointed that the extra fine detail plastic I got was a bit bendy, but it will probably help keep these dudes from being destroyed in a drunken game night fury I guess.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Reynold posted:

Hey there old timey tabletop game friends

I decided Formula D was cool and good and needed some sprucing up so I ordered some cars off of Shapeways and did my best to reproduce some modern F1 paint schemes in these itty bitty fellers for a big game this weekend:

Initially I tried to stick to the proper numbers and helmet colors for the drivers and teams, but that was quickly abandoned. I made Mercedes, Ferrari, Haas, Renault, and McLaren. I was also initially disappointed that the extra fine detail plastic I got was a bit bendy, but it will probably help keep these dudes from being destroyed in a drunken game night fury I guess.

At this point I would just play slot cars. Are slot cars a board game? I guess they could technically count as a dexterity game:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

nimby posted:

You can save a card of each colour from round to round, 2 if you have the corresponding artifact. Get a few pets with similar needs and you can nearly guarantee a good draw for the pet you're selling this round.

Or play with the full version rule that you can always use the base need of each colour on top of what's depicted, so those 4 purples would have been 2x magic+fun, magic+anger and magic.

Yeah, that's a big if on those artifacts. I had a purple anger saved up if I remember right.

The pets with similar needs is the key, I guess. I like the game, but the games never seem to be close, there's always a massive discrepancy in scores that makes the final couple rounds feel nearly pointless.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Well, quite simply, it can gently caress you when you want to sell.

I had a monster that was mostly purple. The seller coming up was going to reward magic needs, which was great, I was set to make a lot of money.

I think I drew something like 4 purple cards, two of them were 'fun', one of them was 'anger', the last one was magic. I was hosed and the pet got negative points, was worth almost nothing.

Yeah I would recommend playing with the double icons and even trying the advanced modes where you reveal the next two rounds or play with everything revealed (but that can cause extreme AP if you’re prone to long planning).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I play only with the double icon variant, I don’t think I’ve ever played a game without it and I teach newbies about double icons from the get go. My many plays of Dungeon Petz usually have newbies scoring low and me and experienced players scoring high. The expansion can also help to remove some of the variance as well, but honestly I like the degree of uncertainty and it fits the theme, and the game gives you the tools you need to reduce it if you are willing to put in the work.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Rutibex posted:

At this point I would just play slot cars. Are slot cars a board game? I guess they could technically count as a dexterity game:

Selling my 1/32 slow cars was a huge mistake I wouldn't drop the cash on another track but they provided hours of fun

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Someone give me some tips for Vital Strength of the Earth in spirit island. They're my favorite spirit to use still, dozens of plays in, and I generally do well with them... but I feel like I'm not getting maximum value. Like I rarely end up using their innate ability and that alone sets off sirens for me since I think they're the only spirit I ever use who has that happen.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer
It's completely valid to play Vital Strength of Earth without making much usage of your innates, until the end of the game. Earth's card play growth is pretty anemic compared to Energy growth, and with as much energy as he gets you're going to want to take more major powers anyway, which means your elements might be all screwed up because you've forgotten how to earth or plant.

I decide my growth primarily based on the range I need to place presence. If I can create a sacred site somewhere that prevents a blight that turn, I'll grab a power card that turn. If I need to create new presence somewhere to stop a blight coming next turn, I'll take the appropriate option to go 1 or 2 spaces away, and I don't worry about whether I've played all my cards if I'm reclaiming. If I have 4 or more energy and I'm gaining a power, it'll be a major power, otherwise a minor. I don't even get up to 2 card plays, usually, until crossing the 4 or 6 energy per turn slot--whenever I consistently have energy left over.. If given a choice between two areas to build towards protecting with my special, I'll pick the one with Dahan as Dahan + Defend 3 will destroy the invader village after every time it builds. Mostly I take powers that destroy something, though anything that can get rid of or downgrade a city is highly preferred.

Here's the question to ask--how many 1-energy powers are there with the right elements in the deck? I didn't go through the expansion, but in the base game there are 4 powers in the Minor Power deck that have Earth + Plant (if you count Elemental Boon), the right symbols for Earth's Innate assuming you have 2 card plays. You can trigger your innate of 2 plays only by pairing these specific cards from the minor power deck or your starting Guard the Healing Land (cost 3, so no repeating this power!) or Draw of the Fruitful Earth (costs 1, so it's repeatable) with Rituals of Destruction (cost 3) from your starting hand, which costs 3, or being lucky enough to get The Trees and Stones Speak of War from the Major Power deck (cost 2) (or you or someone else gets Elemental Boon). Almost all triggers of the level 1 innate take 3 card plays and I just don't think rushing 3 cards is a feasible way to grow Vital Strength of the Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

FulsomFrank posted:

I haven't played Inis in a bit despite being quite fond of it but the epic tale cards are all about being bananas, aren't they? The whole point is that they're almost hyper-specific to certain situations and you can either tailor your gameplay around them or have them as backup in a situation that works out. And wouldn't seeing what people have negate the "a ha, you activated my trap card" vibe and just lead to people deliberately avoiding any situation that would result in you getting good use from your epic tales?

Where's Angel Opportunity when you need him...

Yeah, the being able to see them is a bugger. The power level isn't consistent from card to card through IMO, so are just amazing, some are just meh, some are awesomely situational.