Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm suspecting a Victoria 3 start date map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Byzantine posted:

I'm suspecting a Victoria 3 start date map.
Not sure what all that red is doing south of Free Patagonia but suspect it might become relevant later.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Somehow I find it difficult to believe that the British Empire did not at least once shed blood in the act of claiming what turned out to be a ketchup stain.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Until fairly recently ketchup didn't have much to do with tomatoes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Want to see what’s united with Egypt.

that dissolution has had serious ramifications in our time!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Quorum posted:

Syria, in this case, although the name outlasted the actual union (which died... about when this map was made, I think?)

Expecting Egypt–Syria to remain as a stable entity through A.D. 2000 is even more delusional than expecting a larger pan‐Arab union though.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Youremother posted:

Dollar's Czech, actually, and came to America by way of Spain.

And you say it's Czech despite your own quote says it's German?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mescal posted:

Bohemia was basically Czechia with German nobility...

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Blut posted:

The American tourist who decides to follow the state department's advice and goes on holiday to Angola instead of Denmark is probably going to be surprised.

Most of those European advisories are literally “watch out, there could be a terrorist attack!” and sometimes an additional “there could be strikes!”

Also I don’t think Monaco even gets its own, it just gets the French advisory.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Mescal posted:

It's a regional expression

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Expecting Egypt–Syria to remain as a stable entity through A.D. 2000 is even more delusional than expecting a larger pan‐Arab union though.

why was that less likely to last than a true pan-arab union?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

The use of the word ‘boss’ is a Dutch thing and is used extensively in NYC.

‘Stoop’ for the stairs in front of a building.

Isn’t Dollar from Dutch too?

It’s probably really old but I can def see a Dutch influence. Maybe our vowels come from Dutch too?

The Dutch are famous for their compulsive need to never shut up about bodegas

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

Early 60s prediction of Africa in the year 2000.

Very confident about the abilities of Portuguese colonial administration. (Not too bad a prediction of what ECOWAS was aiming towards until recent events though.)

I personally think the prediction that the Rhodesian federation would both stay united and continue to call itself rhodesia its the boldest one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I personally think the prediction that the Rhodesian federation would both stay united and continue to call itself rhodesia its the boldest one.

It was whitely regarded as a well run country

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Looks like it must be between 1838-1845, based on Texas?

Can anyone read what it says for Tierra del Fuego and Antarctica? To the left of Patagonia it says Magellan Strait, and above it it says Patagonia.

Tierra del Fuego looks like... Asalka? And Antarctica something like... Rafqirbaland?

Most of the rest of the labels seem to be for major cities (e.g. Rio de Janeiro, New York, Boston) or notable landmarks (Galapagos). I can't read what's going on in Chile at all, but it's interesting that it (a) doesn't name any countries and (b) doesn't note the location of any of the cities, even the labeled ones.

Rio Grande does not seem to be "Rio Grande" and also doesn't seem to be "Large River" translated into Turkish. I can't figure out what else that's supposed to be since it's not like any cities existed there at the time.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 3, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

BonHair posted:

It was whitely regarded as a well run country

Goddamn it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Saladman posted:

Rio Grande does not seem to be "Rio Grande" and also doesn't seem to be "Large River" translated into Turkish. I can't figure out what else that's supposed to be since it's not like any cities existed there at the time.

the name is Rio Bravo in mexico so could be that. also in Victoria 1, Patagonia is unclaimed and up for colonization so maybe the new country of Argentina hadn't absorbed it yet

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Saladman posted:

Looks like it must be between 1838-1845, based on Texas?

Except it also has Gran Colombia, which existed from 1819 to 1831. Maybe whoever drew the map just had a weird thing for the region?

Or maybe it's from like the monthlong 1927 Fredonian Rebellion.

I don't really know what's going on with the rest of South America.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

i say swears online posted:

the name is Rio Bravo in mexico so could be that. also in Victoria 1, Patagonia is unclaimed and up for colonization so maybe the new country of Argentina hadn't absorbed it yet

Argentina invaded and colonized Patagonia in the late 1880s - so at least 40 years after this map was made.

I found a much higher res copy of it where the text is more legibile:

It looks like "Nehir" is Turkish for River, so in that copy you can clearly read like "Nehir Mississippi".

The Rio Grande is like Nehir ... Barawad (h?)anuria? Then the river to the west of it is Nehir Quarauradu? So Colorado. Still can't figure out Rio Grande/Rio Bravo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Could be a corruption of Rio Bravo del Norte?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Except it also has Gran Colombia, which existed from 1819 to 1831. Maybe whoever drew the map just had a weird thing for the region?

Or maybe it's from like the monthlong 1927 Fredonian Rebellion.

I don't really know what's going on with the rest of South America.

Nah, the 1927 Fedonian Rebellion was the one that took place in Europe

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.

Count Roland posted:

This looks familiar so maybe it's been posted before.

Found here, with blue Maria safety the link
https://www.nationhoodlab.org/a-balkanized-federation/

Which I came across from a Politico long-form article that uses the above boundaries to look at life expectancy and other measures.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/09/01/america-life-expectancy-regions-00113369

It's true. Lincolnites have far more in common with Torontoans than Chicagoans. (Toronto is just sideways Chicago! Wake up, people!!)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Just needs the 9 dash line

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Would kill to watch an Ainu version of Braveheart with Shakushain instead of William Wallace

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just do not let Mel Gibson anywhere near it, because you know he'll show up drunk and pulling his eyelids while doing an offensive accent.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Guavanaut posted:

Just do not let Mel Gibson anywhere near it, because you know he'll show up drunk and pulling his eyelids while doing an offensive accent.

It would be worth it if we get a new Bobby Fingers diorama video out of it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoHb0ziMDA&t=6s&pp=ygUYYm9iYnkgZmluZ2VycyBtZWwgZ2lic29u

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I saw a story on people in Thailand complaining about Russian emigres setting up a private economy on a Thai island (400,000 in that one place alone). And that made me dig up a bunch of maps.
https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2023/9/6/russian-only-businesses-in-thailands-phuket-spark-backlash

Reddit posted:

Countries that have direct flights from Russia
red: only russian airlines
blue: only foreign airlines
green: both russian and foreign airlines

So Thailand is still open to Russians. However, a lot of countries have closed their airspace to Russia. (I think the US has similarly closed itself off even though this map doesn't show it)
https://samchui.com/2022/02/27/total-flight-ban-on-russian-airlines-in-eu-airspace-growing-diversions/

That led to weird situations when countries were expelling Russian diplomats, but couldn't travel through most of the intervening airspace, so they had to go way around.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/05/russian-plane-due-to-land-in-dc-soon-to-pick-up-expelled-spies-00014418

And current Russian airlines still have to take weird routes to go internationally.
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1501247046300454916

Reciprocally, Russian airspace is closed to the west, so a number of air journeys are more difficult than they used to be.

https://sports.yahoo.com/creative-routings-avoid-russian-eu-135300037.html

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this one seems weird since the snapshot is from the day after the invasion, and it's very conspicuously routed around turkmenistan and uzbekistan

the red hook around the destination is pretty interesting too

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It looks like they’re just rejoining the flight path they would have been on in the first place

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

look i dropped out of ap geography after great circles okay

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
British Airways doesn’t fly to central Asia at all, so it might be easier to stick to the established Kazakhstan flight plan than to establish ties to countries whose ATC they have previously not communicated with

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

British Airways doesn’t fly to central Asia at all, so it might be easier to stick to the established Kazakhstan flight plan than to establish ties to countries whose ATC they have previously not communicated with

Don't they also have to pay a fee for transiting a country's airspace?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

"A Land for the Jews" proposed by an American Jew around 1938. Some of these places would be decent to live while others would be unbearable. As you can see, the author opposed the Zionist program of building a Jewish homeland in Palestine. Herzl's Uganda proposal overlaps a little with territory 8. Territory 1 expands on the Jewish Autonomous Oblast, which was established in 1934 but never attracted much migration.

According to some blog, not much is known about the author, Joseph Otmar Hefter. This pamphlet is supposed to be from 1938 and as you can see, he opposed Zionist efforts to build a Jewish state in Palestine.

"Only the broadest outlines of Joseph Otmar Hefter’s life can be described with any certainty. He was born at the end of the nineteenth century in Austro-Hungary, emigrated to the U.S. and spent the last decades of his life in Mexico, working as a graphic designer. A documentary about Hefter, titled Faktories und Felder and produced for the aforementioned 2011 Israeli exhibition, eventually had to change course and turn into a speculative biography, for lack of hard evidence."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EasilyConfused posted:

Don't they also have to pay a fee for transiting a country's airspace?

Yes, google “overflight fee” if you want to know more

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yes, google “overflight fee” if you want to know more

This post makes me think I’m going to end up seeing some new version of lemon party or something

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Snowy posted:

This post makes me think I’m going to end up seeing some new version of lemon party or something

more of a tubgirl situation, i think

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Massive side-eye at Georgia there.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

TinTower posted:

Massive side-eye at Georgia there.

Fire play listed twice, map invalid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I think Langley is skewing the results there.