Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
That vid is superb, it's far more compelling than normal footage. The music selection is also spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

When all this is over, I'd love to know a final scorecount for this debacle in SA.

Number of bans, probations, new-regs, refugees, custom avatars, that sort of thing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Mr.Tophat posted:

When all this is over, I'd love to know a final scorecount for this debacle in SA.

Number of bans, probations, new-regs, refugees, custom avatars, that sort of thing.

This is the Stimpire, son. Nothing ends.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

AP posted:

That video is great, he managed to get through an airlock, find his ship, use the lift to enter it, climb a ladder, open a door, find the pilot seat, all with no points of reference and everything being invisible.

The bug looks more fun that the current normal gameplay, at least he's puzzle solving.

Particularily fitting is the bit where he looks around as if to say 'where the gently caress am I?'

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen is a failed kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/comments

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

You stop being a person and become a ship

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
They can't do automatic transitions because the engine can't support it, the animations are necessary.

Why can't they implement the sped up animations? They can't, the engine can't do it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You stop being a person and become a ship

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I saw this too. The environment isn't rendering, only player characters are visible. The ship is invisible... initially.

At the very least there is some sort of state change going on. I'd love to know exactly what's going on under the hood.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

It's an artistic statement by the game developer for the meaninglessness of the pixels people spent hundreds to thousands of dollars on

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I saw this too. The environment isn't rendering, only player characters are visible. The ship is invisible... initially.

At the very least there is some sort of state change going on. I'd love to know exactly what's going on under the hood.

The ship isn't loaded and the animation is the transition effect of transferring player > ship.

A ship with a pilot just has an added graphic. This explains why you can't snipe the pilot.

So when the player "officially" becomes a ship, it still hasn't loaded hence "he" disappears. THEN stuff starts loading in.

Edit: Lol, I remember Derek saying they were doing this and Reddit being up in arms about how he was talking poo poo (because nobody on /r/starcitizen has a brain)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lime Tonics posted:

I think something is wrong with their forums, my perma-deleted account is back?

Not good.

Edit : no, it's still deleted but I can sign in? weirdness.

Same here. I wonder if it has something to do with me posting there?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chalks posted:

I've got some chap on twitter who refers to himself as a "freelancer" asking me questions about it:

https://twitter.com/WilliamUsherGB/status/702644634065960961

Looks like he's a bit of a gamergater but I guess if he wants to write an article on this then all power to him.

One thing I do want to make clear is that I don't think there's any legal issue here with what CIG did. They're a private entity and I used their messaging service after agreeing to their TOS. They're entirely within their legal rights to read my PMs and to ban me for discussing consumer laws.

I just think it's morally hosed up that they're doing this and I think people should know about it.

He wrote about me being banned. He's legit.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 25, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here. I wonder if it has something to do with me posting there?

Accidental ban amnesty?

I noticed that their system does behave rather weirdly if you're banned, some pages say you're not logged in but refuse to give you a login button etc.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

This is the Stimpire, son. Nothing ends.

:allears:

My dream is that this thread never ends.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"NOTHING feels better than seeing a new build go out and having people discover what we've been working on for the first time"

That just about sums up CIG's definition of "open development" better than anything else.

Funny Ben, you did a wonderful job of chasing me away.

Ben, you are a bad person. You are a liar, your are a sycophant, you exist exclusively to perpetuate a myth and maintain a revenue stream. You will say anything to avoid controversy and maintain the illusion that you are competent and things are going fine, and frankly it astounds me that anyone believes you anymore. You, personally, are responsible for the creation of the most toxic community I have ever encountered. At least your community manager embraces how hosed things are and admits the truth, like how Star Citizen should not be in alpha. You refuse to acknowledge any of it. You are a coward, inherently afraid of conflict, because deep down inside you know full well that you are incapable of handling it. I regret ever defending you, ever thinking you are capable of anything positive in your life, ever thinking there was a part of you that was worth being optimistic about.

You were never 'good' to me, in spite of countless attempts on my part to convey something meaningful. Your first words to me were how I was a troll. Your last words to me were a lie. I was a fool for thinking you were a good person, that you would ever do or say anything that goes against the man you genuinely love or the project you have dedicated your life to. You are, quite simply, the last person who should ever speak another word about welcoming criticism or welcoming other people.

To add to how terribly ran and managed the SC community is on CIG's own website, remember the whole "we banned a user for reporting harassment too much" and the hilariously bad reply b CIG in response when they were called out?

Basically the gist was a Goonette wanted to make a social group for just girls so they can safely talk about things related to females etc. It's been a thing in most online game communities for years at the least, however when she made the threat promoting it she got poo poo on and harassed by a bunch of neckbeards who apparently felt it was akin to creating the KKK. No really:

Essentially the gripe was, people were upset they wouldn't be allowed into an all female only chat room. The Goonette reported all the posts and got to the point where they said some things in the reports that made a CIG mod decide to just ban her and not, you know, the people who were being sexists and misogynists.

Later, when CIG were called out on it, Ben made this post defending CIG's good honor - https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2421310/#Comment_2421310

quote:

Howdy folks,

I have reviewed the thread in question and all of the associated messaging available to me.

Let me begin by stating what I’m surprised isn’t obvious: Cloud Imperium Games is not in the business of preventing women from playing our game. Part of the Star Citizen dream is to build a game that crosses traditional gamer boundaries and includes an experience that everyone can enjoy. Certainly, we are not sitting around in smoky boardrooms dreaming of ways to exclude 50% of the planet in our space adventure.

And then let’s go ahead and address the elephant in the room: obviously, a group from the Something Awful forums are using this as an opportunity to troll the forums. As always, this is extremely tedious. The user in question is also part of the Something Awful group, which made the moderator dealing with the issue believe the entire thread was a setup. This would not be the first time SA Goons have created an issue.

However, on review and in spite of the sheer volume of concerned Goons coming out of the woodwork on this, I do not believe the thread was necessarily a setup and that several mistakes were made in terms of moderation. I will now discuss my read on what happened and let you know the actions I am going to take.

On Saturday, a user named Lauresh posted a thread called “Female Gamers Group,” about creating a group (separate from an Org, per my read) for women to give them a safe space in the Star Citizen world. The thread goes pretty well for the first several pages, with all parties acting as they should. When one user started posting sexist crap they were properly flagged and probated. As with so many touchy internet threads, people became agitated, emotions flared and so on. The thread was closed as toxic and the original poster was banned.

Let me stress right now: I do not believe anyone on the moderation team banned Lauresh because they are a woman. I am 100% confident that it was because of the 30+ flags complaining about other users in the thread, with profane messages attached: “loving ban this retard,” “for the love of god would someone please stop this person from making GBS threads up the thread already,” “mother loving trolling” and so on. Lauresh seems to have flagged not only sexist posts (which should be warned/probated) but also anything complaining that the thread was a setup (‘you’re a Goon, you just want to fight, etc.’)

That said, I believe that our moderator made the following mistakes:

- Lauresh should have been given a 24-hour cooling probation instead of a 7-day probation. Bans here function on a strike system for each infraction: a warning, then a 24-hour probation, then 7-day, then a month and then a review for permaban. While Lauresh had been banned before (and warned several times before that,) their previous ban was overturned and should not have counted as a strike. This probation should have been for abuse of the flag function and nothing else. Her ban should have been better explained at the time.
- The thread should not have been closed. While moderators are empowered to close toxic threads and this one was unquestionably toxic, I will advise against doing so for “important” topics such as this one.

On the greater subject of women in the Star Citizen universe, the answer is that yes we should go out of our way to create a safe space for them. Women online, and especially women in gaming, have it very, very tough in ways that men absolutely do not understand. This isn’t an argument for the community to have, it’s a fact. Our moderators (and game designers and programmers and everyone else involved in Star Citizen) should do everything possible to create a safe environment, not encourage typical internet knife-fighting in this regard.

Men don’t have to deal with this sort of thing, and it’s so systemic. For years I was part of a community that simply didn't have women. At first I thought it was because space sims didn’t appeal to women… but I came to understand it was because of how immature the average forum user was towards them. It broke my heart hearing from women who loved fighting aliens but who had to pretend to be men in order to even talk to anyone about it, lest their PM inboxes fill up with come-ons and their social networking get invaded with awful dudes.

Let me give you an example from right here at the RSI forums that will maybe resonate: a few days ago our lead moderator’s girlfriend posted a ‘welcome’ thread and he replied welcoming her to the forums. Another user then responded with a picture of the two of them together (as on ‘but you guys know each other!’) My immediate reaction was that was pretty funny that William got shown up. Later that night, though, I realized: that picture was discovered in the first place because someone saw a female username posting about Star Citizen and had to Google it for pictures. And that sucks.

Obviously I don’t know how to fix any of that, but I’d love to start talking about it here instead of pretending it isn’t a problem.

In the meantime, I am hereby instructing William, our lead moderator, to do the following:

- Return the ‘Female Gamers Group’ thread to the forums. The thread should be heavily moderated to remove sexist comments and ban users who make them. Let us try to have a serious conversation here.
- Unban Lauresh with a single strike (24 hours) rather than two (7 days.)
- Remove the moderator who banned her from the active roster pending further review. As I said above, I am confident that Lauresh was not banned because she is a woman, but I will not feel comfortable until we review all of this moderators’ recent actions.

And as if it even needed to be said, there is more than enough room for a female-only group in the ‘verse. Making connections like that is what our Organizations system is for, and there’s absolutely no additional room to argue with that.

So CIG, who don't want to prevent women from playing their game, felt that the person was deserving of a ban for reporting harassing comments for a day rather than a week and didn't remove the offending posts in the end. All while letting a thread promoting rape as an in-game mechanic go unmolested for months prior. Truly inclusive actions.

They also put the moderator who did the ban under review, which makes no sense since CIG state that only CIG staff can ban people not their moderators and yet this moderator is said to have banned Lauresh by CIG themseves. :iiam:

Remember though, CIG/Star Citizen isn't the toxic community who has told a guy with cancer they want him to die because he couldn't play the game "properly", the littany of homophobic slurs aimed at anyone criticizing the game, who got an article written by Forbes about how cultish they act in comment sections for articles on SC, or that CIG banned someone for using their report system but didn't take action against people harassing her. It's instead Something Awful, for having called out that behavior as lovely and bad.

Go figure.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 25, 2016

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Chalks posted:

I've got some chap on twitter who refers to himself as a "freelancer" asking me questions about it:

https://twitter.com/WilliamUsherGB/status/702644634065960961

Looks like he's a bit of a gamergater but I guess if he wants to write an article on this then all power to him.

One thing I do want to make clear is that I don't think there's any legal issue here with what CIG did. They're a private entity and I used their messaging service after agreeing to their TOS. They're entirely within their legal rights to read my PMs and to ban me for discussing consumer laws.

I just think it's morally hosed up that they're doing this and I think people should know about it.

I'm terible at using reddit but I think the Star citizen mods hid your thread?

It has over 500 posts but doesn't show up for me when I browse the subreddit.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Ostentatious posted:

It's an artistic statement by the game developer for the meaninglessness of the pixels people spent hundreds to thousands of dollars on

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chalks posted:

Accidental ban amnesty?

I noticed that their system does behave rather weirdly if you're banned, some pages say you're not logged in but refuse to give you a login button etc.

Yes, and that seems like a recent change since I could log in a few hours ago, as evidenced by me posting on their forums.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CIG is using Cloudfront as their CDN for the CIGPAtcher and the pricing is like this

https://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/pricing/

from what it looks like it takes several hundreds of Terabytes to even make a dent

and downloading from my place is much more expensive lol

I have tried downloading it 6x today which is around 27GB per download so

(27GB*6)* 0.140 = $22?

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 25, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

You messed up your quote, that's a u not an r.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I sent myself a PM on the RSI forums

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

EminusSleepus posted:

CIG is using Cloudfront as their CDN for the CIGPAtcher and the pricing is like this

from what it looks like it takes several hundreds of Terabytes to even make a dent

If half the reported number of Star Citizen download it (it's like 20gb? isn't it) that's 10,000 Tb , I can't be bothered to do the maths properly but at the lowest advertised rate that's still $200,000

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

literally a hog posted:

I'm terible at using reddit but I think the Star citizen mods hid your thread?

It has over 500 posts but doesn't show up for me when I browse the subreddit.

I don't know how reddit works, but I specifically messaged the moderators of that subreddit and told them my story to check that they were happy for me to post it. Even told them that I was a goon and didn't want to cause a big mess for them.

They said it was fine to post but they couldn't guarantee that I would get a warm reception, and wished me luck. Overall they were really very cool about it, so I'd be surprised if they decide to go back and censor it later.

The link seems to be working but I'm like you and I don't know how reddit is supposed to work in terms of what appears on what page. I'm just kinda ignoring the thread atm, it gave publicity to the issue and that's the only reason I posted it there.

It might be something to do with the upvote/downvote fight meaning that the thread itself has a big fat zero rating overall. There doesn't seem to be any sort of "controversial" category so I guess if you get an even number of votes you disappear no matter how popular the discussion is. Someone guilded me for it though.. what ever that means!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

EminusSleepus posted:

I have tried downloading it 6x today which is around 27GB per download so
(27GB*6)* 0.140 = $22?

10,ooo$ downloads of the client to the US = 6,ooo $ to 12.000 $ depending on your monthly outbound traffic

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Chalks posted:

I don't know how reddit works, but I specifically messaged the moderators of that subreddit and told them my story to check that they were happy for me to post it. Even told them that I was a goon and didn't want to cause a big mess for them.

They said it was fine to post but they couldn't guarantee that I would get a warm reception, and wished me luck. Overall they were really very cool about it, so I'd be surprised if they decide to go back and censor it later.

The link seems to be working but I'm like you and I don't know how reddit is supposed to work in terms of what appears on what page. I'm just kinda ignoring the thread atm, it gave publicity to the issue and that's the only reason I posted it there.

It might be something to do with the upvote/downvote fight meaning that the thread itself has a big fat zero rating overall. There doesn't seem to be any sort of "controversial" category so I guess if you get an even number of votes you disappear no matter how popular the discussion is. Someone guilded me for it though.. what ever that means!

ah that's why it doesn't show up when I look at top threads, yeah I guess its still there. I really hate reddit's format.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

literally a hog posted:

ah that's why it doesn't show up when I look at top threads, yeah I guess its still there. I really hate reddit's format.

Yeah, the system seems to be designed to automatically censor controversial opinions. Maybe there's an option in the subreddit's admin controls to show a "controversial" topics section or something and they've decided not to do it.

Oh well, at least now I understand why dissenting opinions are hard to find on there.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Chalks posted:

Yeah, the system seems to be designed to automatically censor controversial opinions. Maybe there's an option in the subreddit's admin controls to show a "controversial" topics section or something and they've decided not to do it.

Oh well, at least now I understand why dissenting opinions are hard to find on there.

Normal subreddits have an option to show controversial topics. Might not be to the taste of the mod team. Wonder why that might be the case.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I love the way Batgirl describes Sandi's job, and the way that Ben jumps in and says that Sandi does everything and is amazing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2WjK3wuC60&t=1290s

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

It's top of the "Controversial" list. Shocking, but not hidden.

It is easy to ban/mute people though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Normal subreddits have an option to show controversial topics. Might not be to the taste of the mod team. Wonder why that might be the case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/controversial/

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Is that link usually in the bar at the top next to "Hot" and "New" etc? I can't see a link to it anywhere and I assume it's not intended that you have to work out the url manually.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Benamandias, Goon of goons:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

Is that link usually in the bar at the top next to "Hot" and "New" etc? I can't see a link to it anywhere and I assume it's not intended that you have to work out the url manually.

They deliberately removed it from the default sub layout, just goes to show you shouldn't be loading suggested layouts anyway.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

It loads fine on my mobile :shrug:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

MeLKoR posted:

They deliberately removed it from the default sub layout, just goes to show you shouldn't be loading suggested layouts anyway.

Well if you're not logged it, you don't have a choice for the loadout. And I never changed the options in my reddit account. Since I only use it on very rare occasions. So I dare say this counts as hiding it. I guess a lot of people use the default option of showing the custom layouts.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

MeLKoR posted:

Ugh.... Who does that

Mr.Tophat posted:

Would be huge... Goes back to 2012

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Romes128 posted:

Does Ben just have like 3 shirts

That blue checkered shirt is starting to trigger me

Is Batgirl a transsexual? I'm not hating, I'm just honestly curious.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

celewign posted:

Is Batgirl a transsexual? I'm not hating, I'm just honestly curious.

Google her name. She has a few articles online about when she went abroad for the op, and is quite open about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

fuctifino posted:

Google her name. She has a few articles online about when she went abroad for the op, and is quite open about it.

She seems nice, but clearly wasn't born a woman. I hope everything works out for her other than star citizen.

• Locked thread