Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, Meltwater was designed by our very own Gutter Owl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, Meltwater was designed by our very own Gutter Owl.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My only regret in life is that I'll never be Erin Escobedo

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Papes posted:

Root
Meltwater
This guilty land

Those games are definitely not for everyone but those are the most “notable” designs from this year.

I don think I know anyone who will play The Guilty Land with me and its near the top of my want list. W

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out Race for the Galaxy and Dungeon Petz. Gugong is already on my wishlist.

I have tried Gaia Project and enjoyed it, but it's a loooong game.

Last night I tried Dinosaur Island which was very much "thematically consistent" and fun. Too bad only the Kickstarter version, which my friend has, comes with metal coins and detailed meeples.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 24, 2018

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Quote is not edit

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ropes4u posted:

I don think I know anyone who will play The Guilty Land with me and its near the top of my want list. W

Holy whoa, just read up on it and

whoa

quote:

This Guilty Land is a game about the political struggle over slavery in the United States in the decades prior to the American Civil War. The two players each represent an abstract idea - Justice and Oppression - while a third, non-player faction, Compromise, both helps and hinders them while seeking, insidiously, to maintain the untenable and abhorrent status quo.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Smiling Demon posted:

I've been away from the board game scene for the last year or so. I blame Seafall. Has there been any notable developments or games I should know about?

Brass got a fancy graphic redesign and a new name, Brass: Lancashire. A new version was developed with the same core game play but a different map and some revised rules (3 types of goods to sell, variable external markets, beer as a new resource, streamlined loans and wild cards) called Brass: Birmingham.

B:B is my favorite game of 2018.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

PMush Perfect posted:

My only regret in life is that I'll never be Erin Escobedo

Well not with that attitude you won't

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I wanna see a write up on This Guilty Land. It intrigues me

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Smiling Demon posted:

I've been away from the board game scene for the last year or so. I blame Seafall. Has there been any notable developments or games I should know about?

Also is the AFFO expansion good?

See my post on the last page.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Morpheus posted:

I figured that's what it is. Just strange that suddenly everyone wants to get rid of it at the same time. I guess they got it at the same time, and stores tend to follow a fairly similar sale schedule for how long a thing should be on the shelf before making room for more merchandise.

Edit: Oh when I played, I used the plastic tiles from the bgg store. Can't imagine using cardboard for all the different resources and such, that would've driven me mad.

It's been around for about a year and it's just deep discount season. I wouldn't really think anything else of it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

silvergoose posted:

whoa

seriously it's a must buy in the hollandspiele sale this winter

or just buy it right now

because of shipping costs to Canada, I'm waiting to do a massive order

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
My Hollandspiele cart for when the sale goes live:
This guilty land
Meltwater
Both supply line games

Anything else worth grabbing? Mark Herman’s Ribbit looks intriguing. For the record I already own:
AIT
Forex
Ukrainian Crisis
Table battles
Battles on Ice
Dynasty

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is guilty land out already? I saw some dev diaries

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

silvergoose posted:

whoa

Seems awfully topical.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love For-Ex but it’s a particular experience. And honestly better PNPd anyway.

Supply Lines of the American Revolution is cool.

I’m thinking of grabbing Horse and Musket and The Soo Line if it’s out in time. Probably Bitzkrieg too because I think my kid would like it. And An Infamous Traffic.

e: and I totally misread your "for the record I own"

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 24, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Papes posted:

My Hollandspiele cart for when the sale goes live:
This guilty land
Meltwater
Both supply line games

Anything else worth grabbing? Mark Herman’s Ribbit looks intriguing. For the record I already own:
AIT
Forex
Ukrainian Crisis
Table battles
Battles on Ice
Dynasty

I picked up the Charlemagne solo game a little while back, but have not yet played it. It's said to be a more complex version of the system used for Agricola (not the famous one).

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Last night I tried Dinosaur Island which was very much "thematically consistent" and fun. Too bad only the Kickstarter version, which my friend has, comes with metal coins and detailed meeples.

This isn't entirely true. The new "X-Treme" edition also has metal coins, they're just thinner (and thus way more reasonable). I'm not 100% sure if that version is also KS only or if it'll be at retail or not though.

As for the meeples, every retail copy has detailed meeples, the only difference between retail and KS are a diverse different set of sculpts for the meeples, vs retail which has a single sculpt (a stegosaurus I believe). But you still get nice meeples.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainRightful posted:

I picked up the Charlemagne solo game a little while back, but have not yet played it. It's said to be a more complex version of the system used for Agricola (not the famous one).

I like Agricola. There's an interesting engine building component because of the need to increase your score at an exponential rate. Not sure I like it enough to grab Charlemagne though. It's still just a solo chit pull game, and I don't end up having nearly as much time for it as I'd like.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

A wind came across the ocean, sweeping with it a pall of fine white ash. The ash fell into the sea and into the breakers. The breakers washed dead shrimp ashore with the driftwood. Then they washed up the whiting. The shark swam out to his deepest waters and brooded in the old clean currents. He was very hungry that season.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That situation looks goddamn bleak.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

They did a great write up on designing the cover for This Guilty Land.

https://hollandspiele.com/blogs/hollandazed-thoughts-ideas-and-miscellany/cover-story-this-guilty-land

We'll be releasing This Guilty Land later this month. The very first version of the cover went public well over a year ago. We don't usually do it that far ahead of the game's release. But given the scope of the project, and the sensitivity of its subject matter, there were a number of reasons why I would have wanted to give up and step away from the project, and announcing it that early in the development process essentially forced me to commit to it.

It was important to me in designing a cover that it not tip-toe around the subject. I wanted something visceral and confrontational. The first cover was that, and only that.

The man pictured was named Gordon. In 1863, he escaped from a Louisiana plantation and was photographed during a medical examination. The photograph was widely circulated and reproduced, highlighting the horrors of slavery and encouraging many free blacks to enlist in the Union Army. Gordon himself enlisted as soon as he was able. He was captured and recognized by Confederates, who beat him and left him for dead. Gordon escaped, rejoined the army, and continued fighting.

This earliest version of the cover inspired its share of comments online. One fellow responded very negatively, and, to be honest, bizarrely - something about the game being anti-white propaganda - but everyone else who commented was fairly positive. Some were put off by the idea of a competitive game in which one player works for abolition and the other opposes it - a lot of folks still are, and I can't blame them; this game isn't for everyone. Regarding the cover in particular, some responded to the power of the image and the innate dignity of Gordon. Others felt it was too confrontational and stark, and urged me to "soften" it.

But softening it, or dulling its impact, was not something I was willing to do. The game is what it is - angry, confrontational, polemic - and I'm not going to win any converts by pretending it's anything other than that. The people who are willing to play the game are the people willing to be made uncomfortable by the image. The people who are too put off by the image probably wouldn't enjoy the game anyway.

That didn't mean that the cover was done. While I didn't want to soften its impact, I did come around to the idea that the cover was a little too spartan, and that the landscape box orientation made it feel more so. I switched to a portrait layout, and incorporated other elements that would allow me to tell more of the story.

Behind the image, faintly visible, is an excerpt from the first page of the first issue of The Liberator, an abolitionist newspaper published by William Lloyd Garrison. It was on this page that Garrison declared,

I am aware that many object to the severity of my language; but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as truth, and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not wish to think, or to speak, or write, with moderation. No! no! Tell a man whose house is on fire to give a moderate alarm; tell him to moderately rescue his wife from the hands of the ravisher; tell the mother to gradually extricate her babe from the fire into which it has fallen; — but urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest — I will not equivocate — I will not excuse — I will not retreat a single inch — AND I WILL BE HEARD.

The six persons joining Gordon on the cover are all prominent abolitionists. When this version of the cover was first announced, someone objected to the "bias", and wondered why I didn't include an equal number of pro-slavery agitators. I'm kind of surprised that I have to say this in the Year of Our Lord 2018, but there were not two equal sides in this conflict. The abolitionists were right. Slavery, and those that defended and profited from it, were wrong. Like Garrison, I will not equivocate or excuse. I'm not the least bit interested in "dialogue" or "trying to understand" the point of view of people who owned, tortured, and raped other human beings, and to be frank, I'm more than a little appalled by people who have suggested that I should do so.

I spent a fair amount of time choosing my six abolitionists.

On the left is John Brown, who attempted but failed to incite a general slave insurrection with his raid on Harper's Ferry in Virginia. He was captured and put on trial. One of the charges against him was treason against the state of Virginia - a place where he never resided. He was found guilty and executed. Before his execution, he passed a note to his jailer:

I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood. I had, as I now think, vainly flattered myself that without very much bloodshed it might be done.

Next is Elizabeth Cady Stanton, who is probably better known for being part of the women's suffrage movement. Many of the people who would become prominent early feminists got their start as abolitionists. Stanton doesn't actually "appear" in the game - others, such as the Grimke sisters and Harriet Beecher Stowe do have cards associated with them - but I felt it was important to highlight, however subtly, the intersectional nature of the movement. (It's a bit more complicated than that - some male abolitionists felt that women's suffrage was a "distraction" from the "real" issue - but there were many who saw the two struggles as linked.)

Then it is William Cooper Nell, a freeborn African-American who wrote and lectured extensively. He also formed the New England Freedom Association (later folded into the larger Boston Vigilance Committee), which actively defied the federal Fugitive Slaves Act to assist escaped slaves in eluding their pursuers. He served as publisher for Frederick Douglass's newspaper The North Star until Douglass's support for segregated institutions and break with Garrison drove the two men apart.

Next is Frederick Douglass, one of the most famous and prominent African-American abolitionists. Born into slavery, he taught himself how to read in secret, and then covertly taught his fellow slaves. He escaped at age twenty, soon making a name for himself as an orator, preacher, intellectual, organizer, and author. His 1845 book Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave, Written By Himself was a hugely influential bestseller; his eloquence and energy stood in direct opposition to the white supremacist and paternalistic underpinnings of southern apologia. In his newspaper, The North Star, Douglass advocated not only for abolition, but also for the rights, voting and otherwise, of all people, including women and American Indians.

Second from last is Harriet Tubman. As a member of the Underground Railroad, she helped more than seventy people escape from slavery. She also recruited men and raised funds for John Brown's ill-fated raid on Harper's Ferry. During the Civil War, she served as an armed scout, even helping to lead an assault on Combahee Ferry in 1863. After the war, she worked toward women's suffrage.

Last is William Seward, a prominent Republican politician. At that time, the Republican Party was against slavery, but also against abolition, as slavery was protected by the Constitution. Seward was much more stridently anti-slavery, declaring in his maiden address that there was "a Higher Law than the Constitution". Coming into 1860, Seward was a favorite to win the Republican nomination for President, but his uncompromising anti-slavery position, and his support for Catholics and immigrants, led to the nomination of the more palatable Lincoln. Seward would serve ably as Lincoln's Secretary of State, diplomatically isolating the Confederacy, and become one of Lincoln's close friends.

Surprisingly, this cover garnered a lot more attention, both negative and positive, than the first version from a year previous. Many of those in the contra camp objected to the idea of doing a game on this subject in the first place - feeling, I suppose, that games are inherently trivial - while others again accused me of being too biased against slavery. Again, part of me can't quite believe that someone would think that way, let alone put it out there in public. But that's also one of the reasons why I felt compelled to do this game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

silvergoose posted:

That situation looks goddamn bleak.

When we realized it was going to stalemate my buddy asked "so what do we do now" and I responded "ever seen The Thing?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

A wind came across the ocean, sweeping with it a pall of fine white ash. The ash fell into the sea and into the breakers. The breakers washed dead shrimp ashore with the driftwood. Then they washed up the whiting. The shark swam out to his deepest waters and brooded in the old clean currents. He was very hungry that season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYi1MRvX_o

The day the world died, nothing was learned...

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Reef or Santorini?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
My two cents on This Guilty Land is that it's quite good, but it's a little too similar to Wir Sind das Volk which I already own and like. If I didn't though, I'd be very glad to buy it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Ropes4u posted:

while others again accused me of being too biased against slavery. Again, part of me can't quite believe that someone would think that way, let alone put it out there in public. But that's also one of the reasons why I felt compelled to do this game.

The stuff in there (of which the above is just one example) frankly boggles my mind.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Hollandspiele need to get some international distribution deals going.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I won* my first game of 1880 today.

*technically I came in second but the first place winner is either clearclaw or their perfect clone and I only lost to him by $40, a spread that basically means I could’ve done one thing more efficiently in a 6 hour 6 player game. I consider this a win.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

dishwasherlove posted:

They're Print on Demand. A distribution deal would mean stepping away from that model, which would instantly bankrupt them. Thankfully they publish all their games through Wargame Vault and so you can do a reasonable PnP without ripping them off.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

What country do you live in? When I ordered games from Hollandspiele, they were printed and shipped from California.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A European print on demand company that operates with the Blue Panther margins and quality needs to exist.

e: a meltwater review https://spacebiff.com/2018/11/23/meltwater/

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 24, 2018

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Jejoma posted:

Reef or Santorini?

Santorini:
Should only be 2 player
Cutthroat
Can be fairly different game to game with deity powers

Reef:
Plays 2-4
More lax/solitaire based

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Wow, I haven't missed the Hollandspiele sale, have I? That's quite a statement, and I'll definitely be looking into getting the game.

SuperKlaus posted:

Seems Sirlin Games is offering 40% off its products this week. I still go to bat for Yomi and Puzzle Strike. Anybody and everybody interested in fighting games or deck-builders respectively should have them. Honorable mentions to Codex and Flash Duel as I have less experience with them but they seem good.

Any recommendations on which Yomi and/or Codex decks to get? I've got both Puzzle Strike games and Flash Duel already, and they've gone over pretty well with my group.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Agent Rush posted:

Wow, I haven't missed the Hollandspiele sale, have I? That's quite a statement, and I'll definitely be looking into getting the game.

Any recommendations on which Yomi and/or Codex decks to get? I've got both Puzzle Strike games and Flash Duel already, and they've gone over pretty well with my group.

If I had to narrow a Yomi list down to 5 characters it'd probably be something like:

Grave or Menelker
Rook or Onimaru (troq players vacate)
Argagarg or Gloria
Gwen or Setsuki
Quince or Persephone

That's a pretty broad scope of playstyles - the "or"s arent actually THAT similar to their pairs but they're close enough where you can probably picked based on flavor (lol) or whatever. I'd probably just go with the left column though.

If I had to narrow it down to just three I'd probably go Grave, Rook, Setsuki. If you don't care about having a variety of playstyles and you're more interested in just what people think are cool, I mostly play Rook, DeGrey, Quince, and Geiger - Rook and DeGrey because I like big boy damage, Geiger because I like time spiral combos, and Quince because I hate my friends and loved ones. I also play Zane but don't buy Zane. Or Troq.

e: it has come to my attention that you cant just ala carte like i thought you could so do what Tekopo said

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 24, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Agent Rush posted:

For codex I would recommend just getting the base box which I believe is red versus green? For Yomi get Round 1/2, all other characters are separate expansions but the two base boxes have decent characters.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Countblanc posted:

If I had to narrow a Yomi list down to 5 characters it'd probably be something like:

Grave or Menelker
Rook or Onimaru (troq players vacate)
Argagarg or Gloria
Gwen or Jaina
Setsuki or Vendetta

That's a pretty broad scope of playstyles - the "or"s arent actually THAT similar to their pairs but they're close enough where you can probably picked based on flavor (lol) or whatever. I'd probably just go with the left column though.

If I had to narrow it down to just three I'd probably go Grave, Rook, Setsuki. If you don't care about having a variety of playstyles and you're more interested in just what people think are cool, I mostly play Rook, DeGrey, Quince, and Geiger - Rook and DeGrey because I like big boy damage, Geiger because I like time spiral combos, and Quince because I hate my friends and loved ones. I also play Zane but don't buy Zane. Or Troq.
The problem with this is that some characters aren’t sold seperately, but only in the Round 1 or 2 boxes. I think Round 1 has a well rounded cast though.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Mr. Squishy posted:

They're Print on Demand. A distribution deal would mean stepping away from that model, which would instantly bankrupt them. Thankfully they publish all their games through Wargame Vault and so you can do a reasonable PnP without ripping them off.

I did not know this. Guess I could talk to a local (Australian) retailer and see if they would do a bulk order to cut postage costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

I won* my first game of 1880 today.

*technically I came in second but the first place winner is either clearclaw or their perfect clone and I only lost to him by $40, a spread that basically means I could’ve done one thing more efficiently in a 6 hour 6 player game. I consider this a win.

Whoa, you play with clearclaw? What's he like?