Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

British Bake Off is awesome and I have just binged on the whole series so far. It's just so much nicer than any other competitive show and doesn't have any of the arrogance that seems to surround cooking shows (plus Mel&Sue :allears:). Jason better win it as he seems to be having the most fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mr. Squishy posted:

He was wearing a Naruto headband and a Marvel Tee-shirt and had also died his otherwise uncared for hair purple, but his team totally stomped so I guess I can't argue with the results?

:what:

Pictures? No one wore cosplay gear in Paxman's presence, I don't believe it.

I've just realised I'm wearing an Iron Man 2 shirt. But I'm better than him! I am!

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Cokeysmoke posted:

I didn't really find a general UK Music thread, and since he's an actor as well, does anyone know how Matt Berry is live? I might be able to see him this month and I was just wondering if its worth it or not.

Worth it just for 'one track lover'.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Irisi posted:

Some of those macaroons are colours I would hesitate to put near my mouth. Electric blue, puke green and fuschia pink are not sensible colours for dinky wee biscuits.

Whatsisface with his cocktail macaroons look quite good though.

MACARONS! :argh:

Macaroons are heavy lumpy coconut things that your grandma gives you with your cup of tea. Macarons are ground almond light airy deliciousness and I'm lucky enough to have Tim Kinnaird off Masterchef making them fairly close to where I live. Yum yum yum.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
By the way, how many loving food historians can this country support? I've seen like five on that program.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

"Food history" sounds like the kind of degree you end up taking if you don't quite get the A-levels you were aiming for.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
One thing that grates about TGBBO is how all of the competitors are in such a state. Anything less than total admiration from the judges brings them to tears, and adoration has them grinning like idiots. I don't know if it's the editing, the stakes (which are?) or if they only select unstable people, but I'd like to see a bit of stiff upper lip.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Brown Moses posted:

"Food history" sounds like the kind of degree you end up taking if you don't quite get the A-levels you were aiming for.

But then you could go on Supersizers Go... with Sue Perkins and Giles Coren which would be pretty fun.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

sebzilla posted:

But then you could go on Supersizers Go... with Sue Perkins and Giles Coren which would be pretty fun.

I used to have a massive crush on Sue Perkins when I was 11 (and still do to some extent).

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The BBC Trust did a thing (a good thing) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/8741127/Lord-Patten-blocks-return-of-BBC-bonuses.html In conclusion, gently caress off Thommo.

Also last night's (new) Don't Tell The Bride was hilarious although I was drunk when I watched it. The guy saying something about spending £80 on cat toilet seats being a mistake tickled me.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Don't Tell The Bride should've been such a disaster, but he obviously knew how crazy his bride was.

The things I'd do with £12000 and a one day party, christ.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

HoldYourFire posted:

I watched that episode and didn't even notice the Anime headband until you mentioned it, nobody at the studio probably noticed he was cosplaying as anything other than miscellaneous goth. Glad my local University of York managed to stomp his team.

That said, I know that Universitys often struggle to get competitors for University Challenge. I know one guy who was in it years ago representing York who was dumb as a post, but they couldn't find anybody else to fill the fourth slot. Equally, at my University, I know the team is made up by members of the Student Union because nobody else is interested.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It depends on the university. Manchester, for example, always have a very strong team because they have multiple large-scale well-publicised tryout sessions. However, a lot of others (my university Exeter included) put up a couple of posters and choose the best 4 from the approximately 20 people who turn up at the right time and place.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Derek Agony posted:

It depends on the university. Manchester, for example, always have a very strong team because they have multiple large-scale well-publicised tryout sessions. However, a lot of others (my university Exeter included) put up a couple of posters and choose the best 4 from the approximately 20 people who turn up at the right time and place.

My uni (Warwick) is the same. It's all left up to the Students Union and I'm pretty sure they just walk into a bar and pick four people at random.

They tried to do "tryouts" one year and I went along for fun (I'd probably be too scared to go actually on even if I was clever enough). All of their sample questions were utterly bizarre and nothing like real University Challenge questions at all. A few studious-looking people (who probably would have been quite good on the actual show) got angry and left.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I went to a tryout where the person in charge started by reading about 10 sample questions from the science sheet rather than the general one, which didn't go down too well with the non-scientists there.

Mr Empty
Feb 23, 2011
Going through all the iplayer episodes of the Great British Bakeoff after the talk here and it's wonderful. Such a pleasant and good natured competition. The contestants seem nice, happy to be doing what they love and down to earth and you'll sometimes see them praise eachothers stuff, Sue and Mel are lovely, the food history bits are charming and you get the simple pleasure of looking at nicely presented, delicious looking and creative foods.

I almost wish they didn't vote anyone off every episode and just chose the winner at the end from who was the best overall and only have a star of the week as the tension is a bit pointless and goes against the vibe. I also like how good a critic Paul is, he's really engaging and so good at being able to clearly identify and explain what went wrong so they can improve. Definitely turning down any social arrangements next tuesday to watch the next episode.

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.

Derek Agony posted:

I went to a tryout where the person in charge started by reading about 10 sample questions from the science sheet rather than the general one, which didn't go down too well with the non-scientists there.

I went along in first year (was at Exeter also; gone to Oxford Brookes for postgrad) and this was pretty much the case. It was quite funny when we were utterly destroyed late last year though; I think Exeter only scored around 10 or 15 points?

That Bin Laden thing on Channel 4 was good, even if it was just padding for around a quarter of the programme. Worth watching though.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Mr Empty posted:

Going through all the iplayer episodes of the Great British Bakeoff after the talk here and it's wonderful. Such a pleasant and good natured competition. The contestants seem nice, happy to be doing what they love and down to earth and you'll sometimes see them praise eachothers stuff, Sue and Mel are lovely, the food history bits are charming and you get the simple pleasure of looking at nicely presented, delicious looking and creative foods.

I almost wish they didn't vote anyone off every episode and just chose the winner at the end from who was the best overall and only have a star of the week as the tension is a bit pointless and goes against the vibe. I also like how good a critic Paul is, he's really engaging and so good at being able to clearly identify and explain what went wrong so they can improve. Definitely turning down any social arrangements next tuesday to watch the next episode.

It truly is amazing. Check out the first season if you ever get a chance to. Same exact format and feel, just different contestants. This may be a daring thing to say, but... I think Great British Bakeoff is the best competition-style television program on currently. It's fresh, not too mean, not too tired, and is beautifully shot. TGBB for Bafta!!

Andore
Aug 27, 2003

The best things about The Great British Bakeoff are that, unlike Masterchef, they don't constantly recap what's just happened and they actually show the cooking processes involved without turning everything into a stupid music video. It's one of the few BBC programmes that doesn't have a condescending production team who presume that the viewer is an idiot with the memory and attention span of a goldfish.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

BBC3 documentary about 911 conspiracies makes me want to kill people.
People on my facebook are convinced it's a compelling argument. FFS.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Yeah, I started watching that because - hey it's Andrew Maxwell and he's very funny. Stopped watching after the woman wouldn't be convinced that a big plane is relatively easy to aim at a big target. gently caress only knows why Maxwell was on it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just watched it because of Maxwell, but it's actually not too bad. The most logical one changes his mind completely, and the bat-poo poo insane ones stick to their guns in the face of overwhelming evidence and just come off looking very stupid indeed, thus actually helping get the points across.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
My favourite part was when that stupid woman with the glassses was saying "You can't argue with science, lets be empirical about this." :ironicat:

Mueslini
Aug 5, 2010

What fascists eat for breakfast.

HoldYourFire posted:

This guy was on Pointless last year, and for what it's worth, he seemed totally lovely and well-adjusted on that. But then, the evidence above is pretty compelling also..

Talking of Pointless, Thurston Moore/Sonic Youth was an answer the other day. Richard seemed very proud on his Twitter :3

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

CJ posted:

My favourite part was when that stupid woman with the glassses was saying "You can't argue with science, lets be empirical about this." :ironicat:

They were some of the stupidest people in the country.
YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT, THERMO DYNAMIC FLUID PROPERTIES OF AN EGG = PLANE.
"There were no satellites in 2001"

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

"All I care about is science and facts. Apart from when the science proves me wrong. In which case it's a trick by the Illuminati."

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Holy poo poo. According to Reece Sheersmith on Twitter, the League of Gentlemen are going to be doing some sketches for Horrible Histories.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Holy poo poo. According to Reece Sheersmith on Twitter, the League of Gentlemen are going to be doing some sketches for Horrible Histories.

Some kids are about to be scarred for life.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
New QI tonight! I'm excited for this new series, especially since one of the episodes has BRIAN BLESSED!

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

A5H posted:

BBC3 documentary about 911 conspiracies makes me want to kill people.
People on my facebook are convinced it's a compelling argument. FFS.

This sounds like what I was hoping Conspiracy Files was going to be, I will have to watch this. I'm fascinated by conspiracy theorists and their theories, the more mental the better.

I think I can the same sick thrill out of it that you got when you were a kid and had a loose tooth that hurt but you kept biting down on it because the pain was so satisfying.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Wahad posted:

New QI tonight! I'm excited for this new series, especially since one of the episodes has BRIAN BLESSED!

Yeessssss. Between this, Would I Lie To You, Misfits and Strictly (shut up it is magnificent) it doesn't look like I'm going to have very productive evenings this autumn.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Wahad posted:

drat them for putting this and WILTY on at the same time as the Million Pound Drop. Thank God for modern technology (i.e. iPlayer).

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
FYI, don't bother with the new series of proper Big Brother(it started tonight). There are fourteen 20-something-year-old models/musicians/artists/actors/wannabe-famous people. Seriously, they are all exactly the same person. There are maybe two that could be interesting. Oh, and Pamela Anderson is in there for no real reason. Usually I can deal with crappy Big Brothers, but this one is gonna be painful. And Brian Dowling is beyond poo poo as a host.

Now I will watch QI to cleanse my television palette.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

BeeZee142 posted:

FYI, don't bother with the new series of proper Big Brother(it started tonight). There are fourteen 20-something-year-old models/musicians/artists/actors/wannabe-famous people. Seriously, they are all exactly the same person. There are maybe two that could be interesting. Oh, and Pamela Anderson is in there for no real reason. Usually I can deal with crappy Big Brothers, but this one is gonna be painful. And Brian Dowling is beyond poo poo as a host.

Now I will watch QI to cleanse my television palette.
I hate them all. Christ even Brian Belo is slagging them off.

In saying that Faye has a cracking arse.

EDIT
Oh god Louise may as well have been in the celebrity bb http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louise_Cliffe

EDIT 2 yeah I'm sad as gently caress.
Faye in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTTW9TvzcmI

Cheese Bridge Area fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 10, 2011

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Every year or two I catch the British TV Drama bug, and my favorite strain has always been UK "cop on the edge" shows, thrillers and (to a lesser degree) profiler procedurals. For whatever reason we across the pond rarely do them as well.

Thing is, I need a new fix but it feels like I've exhausted the stores. Cracker, Prime Suspect, Luther, The Shadow Line, Touching Evil, Wire in the Blood, even a few seasons of MI:5 (those in order of enjoyment). I need something new.

Also it's been fun watching all these shows and playing "spot the familiar character actor".

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 10, 2011

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

thepopstalinist posted:

Every year or two I catch the British TV Drama bug, and my favorite strain has always been UK "cop on the edge" shows, thrillers and (to a lesser degree) profiler procedurals. For whatever reason we across the pond rarely do them as well.

Thing is, I need a new fix but it feels like I've exhausted the stores. Cracker, Prime Suspect, Luther, The Shadow Line, Touching Evil, Wire in the Blood, even a few seasons of MI:5 (those in order of enjoyment). I need something new.

Also it's been fun watching all these shows and playing "spot the familiar character actor".

Misread that as "Every year or two I catch the British TV Drama Bugs" and choked on my bran flakes.

There are 109 episodes of Taggart. Start at the beginning and Enjoy.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Also, please feel free to record and upload your best "therrrrre's been a murrrrrrrr-derrrrrrrrr" at any point.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
It's neither "cop on the edge" nor police procedural, but it bears repeating to say how great The Field of Blood is for anyone that's not caught it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Everything about that is so... grubby.