Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Cmd+Space to open Spotlight is so loving great, thank you to the poster mentioning it earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

decypher posted:

You see the old style exposè with every window from every app then the spaces on top. It's basically Mission Control without the windows grouped by application.

Leopard and Snow Leopard both had different expose styles. Which does it revert to?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No it isn't. It's happened in the past where Apple has distributed GM seeds that ended up being ever so slightly different than what eventually got pushed to the public. The first one that comes to mind is iOS 4 which lacked Game Center in the GM seed.

You're remembering wrong because this is wrong in several places. Game Center wasn't introduced until iOS 4.1, and the build (8B117) was exactly the same build released to developers a week prior.

There were some issues prior to release that were fixed before 8B117. You're confusing RC (release candidate) with GM (gold master).

Wario In Real Life posted:

What physically shipped media?

Oh, so Apple doesn't ship internal storage with new Macs anymore?

See, I can be a wise-rear end too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
So System 10.8 no longer supports my RAID card :smith: (RocketRAID 2320)
I assume this is related to the complete stripping of 32 bit code from the kernel.

I've opened a ticket, but...
Would it be possible to merge/replace the 32 bit IOKit kexts back into the 10.8 install?
Does anybody know how I can find out the name of the IOKit kext?

Here is an excerpt from the log.
11/07/12 7:44:11.000 PM kernel[0]: Kext com.highpoint.kext.rr232x - library kext com.apple.kernel.iokit not found.
11/07/12 7:44:11.000 PM kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.highpoint.kext.rr232x - failed to resolve library dependencies.
11/07/12 7:44:11.000 PM kernel[0]: Kext com.highpoint.kext.rr232x failed to load (0xdc00800e).
11/07/12 7:44:11.000 PM kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.highpoint.kext.rr232x (error 0xdc00800e).
11/07/12 7:44:38.251 PM com.apple.kextd[14]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/rr2320.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
11/07/12 7:44:38.252 PM com.apple.kextd[14]: Load com.highpoint.kext.rr232x failed; removing personalities from kernel.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

~Coxy posted:

So System 10.8 no longer supports my RAID card :smith: (RocketRAID 2320)
I assume this is related to the complete stripping of 32 bit code from the kernel.

I've opened a ticket, but...
Would it be possible to merge/replace the 32 bit IOKit kexts back into the 10.8 install?
Does anybody know how I can find out the name of the IOKit kext?

Here is an excerpt from the log.
11/07/12 7:44:11.000 PM kernel[0]: Kext com.highpoint.kext.rr232x - library kext com.apple.kernel.iokit not found.
11/07/12 7:44:11.000 PM kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.highpoint.kext.rr232x - failed to resolve library dependencies.
11/07/12 7:44:11.000 PM kernel[0]: Kext com.highpoint.kext.rr232x failed to load (0xdc00800e).
11/07/12 7:44:11.000 PM kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.highpoint.kext.rr232x (error 0xdc00800e).
11/07/12 7:44:38.251 PM com.apple.kextd[14]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/rr2320.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.
11/07/12 7:44:38.252 PM com.apple.kextd[14]: Load com.highpoint.kext.rr232x failed; removing personalities from kernel.

Afraid you're poo poo out of luck. Mountain Lion doesn't do mixed processes. No 64 bit kexts on a 32 bit kernel. Unless you can find a compatible 64 bit kext, you'll need a new RAID card.

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 11, 2012

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Didion posted:

Cmd+Space to open Spotlight is so loving great, thank you to the poster mentioning it earlier.

Now disable it for Spotlight, get Alfred, and prepare to have your mind blown.

flyboi posted:

No transmit love? I'll admit I stole it for a long time but once I got that credit first thing I bought

Transmit is amazing and worth every penny.

tofes posted:

What are people's thoughts on Acorn vs Pixelmator? They seem to be the two most recommended image editing programs

I think Pixelmator is a little more mature and sophisticated a program, but I also almost exclusively use Photoshop, so hey :v:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Let's just see how good dictation in Mountain Lion is:

Mountain Lion Dictation posted:

I'm testing to see how well mountain lions dictation works

Wow, that came out perfectly, except for the lack of apostrophe in lion's. Not bad at all.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

pipes! posted:

Transmit is amazing and worth every penny.

I think Pixelmator is a little more mature and sophisticated a program, but I also almost exclusively use Photoshop, so hey :v:
You're in my head. Stop it.

I love Transmit. Not just for FTP, but for SFTP and WebDAV (with SharePoint... :P ) as well. Pixelmator has become my non-designer-brain's Photoshop. It's good enough to get things to an acceptable state and makes quick work of doing simple tasks, like cropping, rotating and resizing; It even has Automator actions if you're so inclined.

Alfred is also pretty amazing. The one thing I used to use Spotlight the most for was app launching. Alfred does that way faster than Spotlight. I actually unbound the Spotlight shortcut and let Alfred have it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I haven't tried Transmit, but I bought Forklift when it was 99 cents or something. Ugh. What a piece of crap, I went back to Filezilla.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

KingEup posted:

Leopard and Snow Leopard both had different expose styles. Which does it revert to?

Oh!

From what I can see, it's only showing the open windows, not the minimized ones, so it reverts back to the Leopard style. Think about it this way: It's mission control without the application grouping. Hope that answers the question.

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
[quote="Star War Sex Parrot" post=""405465338"]
Oddly enough, the feature that seems most-overlooked by previews (and Apple doesn't mention it because it seems like admitting a mistake) is the return of proper Expose. There's now a checkbox in Mission Control's preferences that removes window grouping by application and basically shows you every window at once, like Expose used to be.
[/quote]
oh hell yes.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

flyboi posted:

Too bad full screen is still useless on multi-monitor setups.

BetterSnapTool. Done.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

From what I've seen of Mountain Lion, the alleged GM, I think the term is smoother, not snappier. Especially Safari, seeing that blue fill line seems more agreeable than what we had before. And almost all the Safari extensions I'm used to using seem to work well.

However, some apps need to get with the program.. Movist (app store version) was taking only 29-39% CPU to play a 720 mkv with subs before in Lion and now it takes 60-70% CPU in Mounty Lion?! Tch tch!

Also no more flashing dot in Spotlight, but mdworker and mdworker32 kept maxing out the CPU until indexing was done, and this is with an SSD installed.. I don't know about you, but I would like to know exactly when indexing will be done instead of waiting around until CPU usage drops below 3%.

Edit: looks like the 'green screen' bug that was introduced in OS X 10.7.4 for certain nVidia chips in QuickTime Player and Quicktime 7 Player has been resolved in MountyL as well, it probably was GPU specific as I got the bug on a 9400 chip but not on a 320M chip. The bug was that playing was fine, but pausing resulted in a green screen showing up instead of the actual frame.

And yes, there are new nVidia drivers in ML that programmers need to update their apps for (see above.)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 11, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Is it possible to use Automator/iTunes to remove the first part of a bunch of song names in the id3 tags? Some of my albums are laid out xx - Title, where xx is the track number.

I don't want to have to go through all these manually :(

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
The Tweetbot for Mac beta/alpha is out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

a bad poster yall posted:

A more helpful post. ;)

http://tapbots.com/blog/tweetbot/tweetbot-for-mac

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Not that helpful, website has crashed ;)

Hopefully not for long :ohdear:

EDIT: Mirror for while site is down

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Oddly enough, the feature that seems most-overlooked by previews (and Apple doesn't mention it because it seems like admitting a mistake) is the return of proper Expose. There's now a checkbox in Mission Control's preferences that removes window grouping by application and basically shows you every window at once, like Expose used to be.
If you keep it the Lion style, does the single app expansion (scroll while moused over an app's windows) work any differently?  I've been hoping for it to spread out more since it's useless if you have too many windows.

Applesmack posted:

Man I'm really struggling to spend that free $100 that came with my new macbook. I bought a few games (Limbo, Bastion, Braid, Machinarium), but still have well over half left and no idea what to do with it. There is the itunes store, of course, but I'm not in the mood to buying music. Anyone know any "must have" apps?
Moom!  (then switch to the non App Store version cause they're hamstrung by the sandboxing rules)

lazywhiteboy posted:

EDIT: Actually, after unchecking the "look up" option the three finger tap no longer works at all.  Is there any way to change the look up gesture to something other than three finger tap?
Ask the BetterTouchTool dev basically, although I'd guess he already knows about it and is hopefully working on a solution.

tofes posted:

What are people's thoughts on Acorn vs Pixelmator? They seem to be the two most recommended image editing programs
Pixelmator is basically a poor man's Photoshop, while Acorn (last I used it at least) was completely different.  I couldn't get used to Acorn since I grew up with Photoshop, but I'm semi comfortable in Pixelmator.  It's one of those cases where it's almost there...then you run into something Pixelmator can't do which would be a basic feature in Photoshop (layer styles is the biggest one for me).

Accipiter posted:

You're remembering wrong because this is wrong in several places. Game Center wasn't introduced until iOS 4.1, and the build (8B117) was exactly the same build released to developers a week prior. 

There were some issues prior to release that were fixed before 8B117. You're confusing RC (release candidate) with GM (gold master).
I think 4.2 is the one everyone is thinking of, like the GM had some wifi bug for a lot of people and another GM was released...and iirc ultimately they released the second GM as 4.2.1.

Found this story on it:  http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-releases-new-ios-42-gm-seed-to-fix-wifi-issues

Experto Crede posted:

Is it possible to use Automator/iTunes to remove the first part of a bunch of song names in the id3 tags? Some of my albums are laid out xx - Title, where xx is the track number.

I don't want to have to go through all these manually :(
Doug's AppleScripts!  Specifically this one, assuming you just want to remove the "xx - " (or some other consistent pattern).  If it's not consistent I think there's other renaming scripts that might work.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

pipes! posted:

Man..

GIFSoup

Powerpack as well

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

unruly posted:

The one thing I used to use Spotlight the most for was app launching. Alfred does that way faster than Spotlight. I actually unbound the Spotlight shortcut and let Alfred have it.

Yup. My newest thing is grouping apps to create different "app profiles," so "workapps" launches everything I need for my 9-5, and then "quitworkapps" runs a piece of Applescript that shuts them all down.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

a bad poster yall posted:

The gently caress is wrong with them? What makes them think this okay?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fren posted:

What, making the UI black?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fren posted:

Final Tweet Pro X

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
So apple has listed the system requirements for ML. Looks like anything from before late 2007 is out, or as an article I read put it: early 64bit systems. Someone mentioned that it's only snappier on 2011 models or better; has anyone tried it on something older?

e. But at least you don't need Lion to upgrade, just the latest version of SL.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Fren posted:

I don't see the problem?

Also: there isn't iCloud stream syncing support yet, in case anyone was wondering.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Fren posted:

Who knows, but since it's a public alpha maybe you should submit something to them voicing your displeasure! Maybe if enough people complain they'll change it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's such an odd change of direction for Tapbots to start skinning native UI elements and controls, they'd never do something like that on iOS.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DarkJC posted:

It's such an odd change of direction for Tapbots to start skinning native UI elements and controls, they'd never do something like that on iOS.

Are they just trying to match the iOS verison?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

DarkJC posted:

But they do skin native UI elements and controls in the iOS version? :confused:

Ohhh, I thought this was meant to be ironically wrong or something. You see, pushing the boundaries of UI design on a 5 year old platform is completely expected. What's not expected is to take the preferences of an app running on an operating system known for its historic, authoritative, and stringent HIG and make it look like it's something one can download from Mac Themes Dot Net, the "mother lode of iOS and OS X user interface geekery".

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

DarkJC posted:

heh

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

DarkJC posted:

It would be a lot weirder if they tried to completely redo all the native widgets into robot versions, like iOS. There is never a copy of Tweetbot for iPad sitting next to Safari, so it's a lot easier to get away with a total re-theme and not have it feel off.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Does anyone know if Apple is planning to update iWork?

I've been using Office for Mac but I got a new Macbook and that $100 app store card and was thinking of picking up iWork, but there hasn't been a new version since 2009

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mistermojo posted:

Does anyone know if Apple is planning to update iWork?
Something is going to happen within the next couple of weeks: either we'll get iWork '12, or just another update to iWork '09. Currently iWork doesn't work with Mountain Lion, so Apple has to do something.

My money is on just an update, and no iWork '12. It can't hurt to wait to find out though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm curious what the new update method for Apple programs (all done through the App Store) means for CD versions of iWork '09 and Aperture 3. I assume App Store will be able to see that you have it installed and provide updates, but I'd really love it if it just permanently added it to my Purchased list for my Apple ID.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've noticed that unless I bought the app from the App Store, I don't get any updates.

But I also notice that on recently installed machines, iPhoto '11 won't update via Software Update and only through App Store, even though the Mac came prepackaged with iPhoto '11.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
Is there a mouse gesture to open/close the Notification Center? I thought they said 3-finger swipe was going to be associated with NC.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jolarix posted:

Is there a mouse gesture to open/close the Notification Center? I thought they said 3-finger swipe was going to be associated with NC.
It's a two-finger swipe from the right edge of the trackpad. You're actually supposed to start off of the trackpad.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Currently iWork doesn't work with Mountain Lion, so Apple has to do something.
It doesn't?

Nobody tell my laptop. :ohdear: I finally got everything running smoothly in the GM, and iWork seems to be doing OK so far. I don't need it to quit working on me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sonic Dude posted:

It doesn't?
Sorry that's second-hand information from other forums. I haven't bothered to install iWork '09 on my ML machine since so many people were reporting problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Something is going to happen within the next couple of weeks: either we'll get iWork '12, or just another update to iWork '09. Currently iWork doesn't work with Mountain Lion, so Apple has to do something.

My money is on just an update, and no iWork '12. It can't hurt to wait to find out though.

:confused: iWorks is fine here...