Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My family wants to see the DMZ. I saw the USO tour recommended a lot in this thread, so I checked into it to find it costs a hundred bucks and takes all day. Is it really worth an entire day and that much cash? Can you visit the DMZ without going on the tour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

My family wants to see the DMZ. I saw the USO tour recommended a lot in this thread, so I checked into it to find it costs a hundred bucks and takes all day. Is it really worth an entire day and that much cash? Can you visit the DMZ without going on the tour?

Yes it is worth all day and 100$ a head. Do not book a different tour.

If you want to cheat them out of all the cool stuff (and I mean all the cool stuff) you can go to one of the many peace observatories along the DMZ which cost like 1-5000w admission. There is one in Paju which is on the subway (I think) and another on Ganghwa Island which is a ~90 min bus from Sinchon stn. The peace observatories are cool on their own but are a poor replacement for the USO tour. You will be able to physically see land that is in north korea and you will be able to look at some fake villages through telescopes.

You will not see this.

or the bridge of no return, the axe murder tree, dorasan observatory....etc etc etc

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

dantheman650 posted:

Do it.

If it includes the tunnels, definitely loving do it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The DMZ is dumb and boring, go to Taco Bell instead. :colbert:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

VideoTapir posted:

Do it.

If it includes the tunnels, definitely loving do it.

But DON'T actually do the tunnels.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The tunnels sucked for me being a tall person

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arctic Baldwin posted:

The tunnels sucked for me being a tall person

the tunnels even suck for dwarves cause you're just going down a long black tunnel and in the end THERE'S loving NOTHING

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Jeoh posted:

the tunnels even suck for dwarves cause you're just going down a long black tunnel and in the end THERE'S loving NOTHING
Guess they blocked it.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Jeoh posted:

Looks like you didn't believe enough in magic.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
I enjoyed the tunnels, but I like rock things and I'm not that tall. Just be in the front. Being in a slow pushy moving crowd down the tunnel would lead to violence.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm downloading Skyrim with a 256k connection.

Take me back Korea I love you.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

dantheman650 posted:

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude it's so awesome and TOTALLY WORTH IT. But if the rest of your family is as tall as you, you're gonna look funny as poo poo going through the tunnels. :D

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.
I went on the USO tour last Saturday. It was well worth the 100k. I actually walked down the tunnel and then turned around at the bottom and went up again, shouldn't even have gone that far, it was much more interesting on the outside.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's hosed up, cause the Korean tours just use the elevantor to go up / down (different colour helmets)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

I'm pretty short and it was pretty tight. You get to see an exciting concrete barrier and the collective disappointment of your tour group.

You might also have to deal with Chinese tour groups because it's one of the few areas they can go to by the DMZ. Scratchy megaphones blaring commands in mandarin, mobs of people pushing through everything, and children wearing crotch less pants in -10 Celsius has a quality all it's own though.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 23, 2015

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Ooh, I never did get around to observing if the Chinese also poo poo on Korean streets. Or is that just a thing they do in/to the West?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

WarpedNaba posted:

Ooh, I never did get around to observing if the Chinese also poo poo on Korean streets. Or is that just a thing they do in/to the West?

As caberham can attest it's not just a Chinese thing. I've seen enough native street making GBS threads here.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

DontAskKant posted:

As caberham can attest it's not just a Chinese thing. I've seen enough native street making GBS threads here.

No, those were all visiting Chinese.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

No, those were all visiting Chinese.

They were local. But then again, Koreans are just a bunch of Chinese colonists :downsrim:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
There are no bad Koreans, just cleverly disguised Chinese.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
With all the love the Chinese get in this board you might as well rename T&T to San Fransisco, 1877.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

With all the love the Chinese get in this board you might as well rename T&T to San Fransisco, 1877.

China.jpg thread in GBS seems to be using "chinaman" unironically.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Maybe they are referring to a glorious mountain peak named in the honor of a Chinaman's climbing prowess in the fine diverse Canadian province of Alberta.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Maxsmart posted:

Maybe they are referring to a glorious mountain peak named in the honor of a Chinaman's climbing prowess in the fine diverse Canadian province of Alberta.

Dude the story owns http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ha_Ling_Peak

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Why I mentioned it

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

1980 seemed to be a big year for stopping that type of thing.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pekin,_Illinois#High_school

Copicat
Jan 25, 2014

jibberin' Ghibli giblets!

"See also:

Canmore Museum and Geoscience Centre
Chinaman (term)
Mountains of Alberta
List of mountains of Canada
Negro Mountain"

On another note, I arrived in Seoul last night and I want to request an invite to the KakaoTalk list here!
ID: Copicat

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Paperhouse posted:

I'm thinking of biting the bullet and paying for a TEFL course so that I can go to Asia and be Asian. But, here's my question: is there a specific time of year that schools in South Korea look to hire people? My current tenancy runs out in the summer and ideally I would be able to leave coinciding with that

Also, the OP says you really want to be in Seoul - how's Busan? I thought it was meant to be pretty much as good

You want to live in Seoul or Busan. Not some lovely satellite city like Yongin or Suwon or Bundang.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It seems very likely that I would not get to live in either of those places though. I am okay with this, they can't be the only two good places in the country... right?

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Paperhouse posted:

It seems very likely that I would not get to live in either of those places though. I am okay with this, they can't be the only two good places in the country... right?

They actually are. I would hate to live in a place like daejon or changwon or something lovely like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Paperhouse posted:

They are not. There's not much difference between the large cities anymore. There used to be, visits to Seoul were a noticeable difference when I first moved to Korea but by the time I left there was very little in Seoul that wasn't where I lived. Just a matter of scale. Anyone who tells you the rest of the country is worthless has never lived there or is dumb. I would've liked to live in Seoul for my last year just for a change of pace, but I never did and don't feel like I missed out.

Living in a little village nowhere near the KTX probably sucks. A major city on the KTX lines, no.

Also if you're looking for a public school job, you're not going to be in Seoul or Busan. The quality of life benefits from a public school job are huge. I can't think of any possible way a hagwon in Seoul is a better life than a public school in Daegu.

I stayed in Bundang a week and that might be the nicest area I've ever seen in Korea.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

Yeah not at all. Fingerblaster tried to tell the last person considering coming here the same thing and no one agreed with him (Except last time he said only Seoul, guess he's lightened up his view a little). Several of us live in smaller cities or satellite cities and like it just fine. I live in Daegu and love it. Furthermore, I prefer it to Seoul as a place to live.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

The quality of life benefits from a public school job are huge. I can't think of any possible way a hagwon in Seoul is a better life than a public school in Daegu.

This is simply not true. I have met lots of unhappy public school teachers. If you have a lovely boss, it doesn't matter if you work at a public school or hagwon.

Also, I stand by my assertion that Seoul is the best. I have lived in small town, Jinju, and Seoul. Seoul the best, Jinju was ok, and small town was the worst. There are advantages and disadvantages of all of those places, but the advantages in Seoul are the best. Check the OP.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The OP is so old it picks through garbage for egg money.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

This is simply not true. I have met lots of unhappy public school teachers. If you have a lovely boss, it doesn't matter if you work at a public school or hagwon.

Agreed, but all things being equal the public school is always superior. There are hell principals, and there are amazing hagwons, but we're talking odds here.

Gildiss posted:

The OP is so old it picks through garbage for egg money.

:drat:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Right. ~FINGERBLASTER69~ is just a lovely poster.
I went from a tiny little farmtown to Seoul.
Living in Seoul is more convenient, but less fun. I grew up in Chicago, and living in Seoul just makes me want to go home, because it's lovely in comparison. Seoul is a boring, dirty, crowded city with bad food where everybody's sad.
When I was living in the countryside I had an awful boss and an inflexible school, but it was still a lot of fun. The scenery was gorgeous, the food was excellent, the people were friendly, and it seemed like a real departure from what I was used to back in America.

As long as you're not completely incapable of adapting to something new, a little town will probably be pretty fun and interesting. Even if you really hate it, you'll be in a much better position to move, even after only a year.

The one thing Seoul is hands-down superior in is dating. When I was in Yesan I could maybe scrape together a date every two months or so -- small towns are mostly old folks and kids.
Seoul, on average (I think), I went out at least once a week until I met my fiancee.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Onion Knight posted:

Right. ~FINGERBLASTER69~ is just a lovely poster.

THANK YOU

He is literally the biggest goonlord itt

I have lived and visited at least 2 places in every province (including the big cities) over the years and I have never seen a place that I didn't think had redeeming qualities. This retard is just a shitposter: plain and simple. His name is Finger Blaster 69 for crying out loud. If he's not 12 years old irl then he's half of that age mentally.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I really don't care for Ulsan, but I don't think it's irredeemable. It's just a fairly boring city and the expat chicks here are super basic, so if I want to do anything I'd normally bring a girlfriend to (shopping, etc.) I just go alone because most of my friends are dudes. There are loads of people who have been here for years and years and like it just fine.

I think any place you move to is about 75% what you make of it. You could be completely miserable in Seoul or Busan and perfectly happy in Jeonju for a number of reasons.

Just don't go into this with the feeling that everything will suck if you're not in a major city.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tiny towns are legitimately weird in Korea though. Like Onion Knight says, they're largely old people and the kids of the people who abandoned the small town for the big cities and foisted their spawn off on grandma. It's not that you can't enjoy it, I've known several people who liked living in rural Korea, but it is not what you're picturing small town life as if you're from the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A year in a small town is fine. People are friendly, the quirks are interesting, and exploring the natural countryside is a lot of fun. You can take a bus to the nearest city for weekends when you need it. But you'd have to be a a certain kind of person to enjoy it beyond that. I loved my first year in the countryside but couldn't have done a second. Having only the elderly and small children to interact with during the week takes its toll.

You'd never really be stuck in the countryside for two years though. It's a bit difficult to get good jobs in specific locations when you're applying from outside the country, but more realistic once your here. Or, if you're like me and your town is commute distance from a city, you can just switch to a city apartment during renewal.

• Locked thread