Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

I keep wanting to do a PbF of the old Avalon Hill age of sail game Wooden Ships & Iron Men where everyone gets a ship and all communication in thread is only by posting naval code flags

Holy poo poo please????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eh gently caress it I'm unemployed rn and am only intermittently involved in the Pandemic Legacy pbp, I'll read the rules and look into getting it started. Interest check on that?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

Eh gently caress it I'm unemployed rn and am only intermittently involved in the Pandemic Legacy pbp, I'll read the rules and look into getting it started. Interest check on that?

I am dedicated to learning signal flags

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fuuuuck I'd be in. We have to grab semaphore charts whenever we do puzzle sets because the writers love them some semaphores, this can't be that different right.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Fuuuuck I'd be in. We have to grab semaphore charts whenever we do puzzle sets because the writers love them some semaphores, this can't be that different right.

This can be way funnier when y'all screw up, that's how it's different

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

StashAugustine posted:

I love that game, and I was thinking about running an lp of it a while ago, but I've just never had the time and I'm not too good at stuff like screenshot processing and visual work in general. I'm willing to help you out with the rules and turn processing stuff if you want; depending on how many advanced rules you use it can get quite complicated. The nice thing is that the players don't necessarily have to know any more than the basic rules because the complicated stuff all happens in resolution and in general things work how you would expect. (Chain shot is good against rigging, anchors stop you but let you turn easier, etc.). I was planning on running the Battle of Lake Erie scenario first because it's a relatively manageable 3 vs. 2 ship battle with smaller ships, but I can also give you some recommendations if you want to run something bigger. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I've got a copy of Wooden Ships & Iron Men, so count me in.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Krazyface posted:

A Euro-imperialists faction might work, nominally allied to the US but more interested in maintaining colonies (or, failing that, economic dominance over former colonies).

I'm working on including something like that, where different imperial powers have conflicting interests.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I hate Path of Glory´s Near East. You attack. You roll bad. You lose. You don´t attack = You don´t threaten = Your Russian Front loses.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
My paper map for Fatal Alliances won't lay flat due to the creases in it; my navy chits pop up and fly across the board when I try to flatten the sea. I'm not sure how people play with these big paper maps.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

TerraGoetia posted:

My paper map for Fatal Alliances won't lay flat due to the creases in it; my navy chits pop up and fly across the board when I try to flatten the sea. I'm not sure how people play with these big paper maps.
Plexiglass.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Plexiglass.

But but instead of buying Plexiglass I could buy more games instead!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

tomdidiot posted:

But but instead of buying Plexiglass I could buy more games instead!

lol yeah and you only need plexiglass if you actually get your games to the table

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

Finster Dexter posted:

lol yeah and you only need plexiglass if you actually get your games to the table

Game too big for my puny apartment-sized table. Must play on floor like God intended.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Magnets. Just need a ton of magnetic counter-holders, a good steel wall, and probably an enlarged version of the map to better hold all the chits.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm an old fan of Diplomacy but I've been stuck with a board game group that prefers euro-style worker placement games. Thankfully we've also been getting in almost weekly games of Twilight Imperium III for about two months now. And as awesome as that is (we've just picked up the first expansion, but we've been using expansion strategy cards for a long time now), I'm really starting to get sick of the military strategy. Warrior Knights seems like a great replacement, but wow that thing is ten years old now. Are there any games that really manage to have fun but groggy military strategy for 3-8 players that've come out since 2007?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Kill four of your friends and play COIN

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

StashAugustine posted:

Kill four of your friends and play COIN

Play 1-2 COIN games depending on gamer count.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Triskelli posted:

I'm an old fan of Diplomacy but I've been stuck with a board game group that prefers euro-style worker placement games. Thankfully we've also been getting in almost weekly games of Twilight Imperium III for about two months now. And as awesome as that is (we've just picked up the first expansion, but we've been using expansion strategy cards for a long time now), I'm really starting to get sick of the military strategy. Warrior Knights seems like a great replacement, but wow that thing is ten years old now. Are there any games that really manage to have fun but groggy military strategy for 3-8 players that've come out since 2007?

Operational Combat Series Team Games!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Triskelli posted:

Have you tried the Game of Thrones board game? It might scratch your diplomacy itch and also salve some euro desires. Not a perfect fit, but it's worth a shot.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lord Frisk posted:

Have you tried the Game of Thrones board game? It might scratch your diplomacy itch and also salve some euro desires. Not a perfect fit, but it's worth a shot.

Yeah, but it's another FFG game with way more rules than it needs, and I disliked the way that Supply might take 3-4 turns to actually adjust.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Triskelli posted:

Yeah, but it's another FFG game with way more rules than it needs, and I disliked the way that Supply might take 3-4 turns to actually adjust.

If you're talking about disliking games with way more rules than they need, you're in the wrong thread, mate.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

tomdidiot posted:

If you're talking about disliking games with way more rules than they need, you're in the wrong thread, mate.

quote:

Patrols are handled a little differently, but the concept is the same:

21.416 MECHANICS: Patrols are conducted using the following sequence:
A. The moving player announces all patrols, base changes and SW naval deployments (25.31). The moving player does not announce any air strikes by patrolling carriers at this time.
B. If the moving player is conducting more than one patrol, he designates the sequence in which his patrols will be conducted. The first patrolling force then moves toward its patrol hex along whatever route the moving player wishes (subject to the range restrictions for patrols - 21.3614).
C. When a patrolling force enters a new hex, the defending player may attempt naval interception of the patrolling force in the same manner as other naval activities. Naval interception is resolved before the patrolling force counterairs any defending air units from the new hex. Defending air units within air range of the interception hex therefore assist in any naval interception of the patrolling force (22.22F).
D. If naval interception occurs, naval combat is resolved normally. Both the intercepted patrolling force and any intercepting naval forces may counterair enemy air units within range of the interception hex as part of naval combat (22.41B).
E. If the patrolling force wins the naval combat, it may either continue moving to its patrol hex or abort its patrol and return to port, at the moving player’s option.
F. If the patrolling force loses the naval combat, it must return to port and is inverted for the remainder of the player turn. The victorious intercepting naval forces may remain in the interception hex as a defensive patrol (21.419) or return to port and invert for the remainder of the player turn, at the defender’s option.
G. If no naval interception occurs, a patrolling force containing fast carriers which has not yet arrived in its patrol hex may engage in one round of counterair combat against any enemy air bases within range of its hex:
--each patrolling naval air unit may only be used to counterair one enemy base from that hex.
--surviving patrolling naval air units may be used to counterair different enemy air bases once the patrol moves to a new hex. Until it reaches its patrol hex, each patrol may make only one counterair attack against each enemy air base.
--defending air units which are not eliminated or forced to abort by a patrolling force's counterair attack, or which are in other bases within range of the patrolling force, remain available for use and may make one air attack against the patrolling force before it enters its next hex.
--after air attacks are resolved, any submarine attacks in the hex are resolved (22.921).
H. As a patrolling force enters each hex en route to its patrol hex, the sequence set out above is repeated.
I. Once the patrolling force reaches its patrol hex, it may launch repeated counterair attacks/air strikes against all enemy bases within range of its patrol hex.
J. Before each round of counterair attacks/air strikes from the patrol hex, the defender has the option of attempting naval interception if he has not done so previously.
K. When the moving player has finished all his counterair attacks/air strikes from the patrol hex, he announces whether his patrolling force is returning to base or remaining in the patrol hex during the combat phase.
L. If a patrolling force remains in the patrol hex, the defender may attempt interception of the patrolling force, if he has not already done so. Any resulting naval combat is resolved. The loser returns to base and is inverted for the remainder of the player turn, and the victor has the option of returning to base and being inverted for the remainder of the player turn or remaining in the patrol hex during the ensuing combat phase.
As set out in the Naval Interception Table, the greatest chance of intercepting a patrolling force is when it remains in its patrol hex.
M. Defending air units that were aborted in their final round of air combat with the patrol are inverted. If the moving player is conducting more than one patrol, steps B through L are repeated for each subsequent patrol, until all patrols are resolved.
Protect your naval bases with land-based air, especially in the Pacific! In a single turn a base may be counteraired before it is attacked by a patrol, attacked by two or more separate patrols (with the exception of the initial attack on Pearl Harbor), and may be bombed again in the combat phase.

21.417 INTERCEPTION OF PATROLS: A patrolling force may be intercepted:
A. En route to and in its patrol hex (21.416C, 21.416J).
B. Once all air strikes from its patrol hex are completed if it attempts to remain in its patrol hex (21.416L).
21.4171 The defender may not attempt interception of a patrolling force at one point, then attempt interception again later with the same or other naval forces except as allowed by 22.13.

quote:

Ok, this makes it all very clear. Again, thank you for your help.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

tomdidiot posted:

Um, excuse me...

*slams ASL binder on the table, breaks table*

I need all of these rules.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

Um, excuse me...

Well it's true :colbert:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

*flips through the AWaW rule tome*

Now some of these on the other hand...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finster Dexter posted:

Um, excuse me...

There's a reason why people play ASL exclusively in the basement.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I was in a games shop that had a copy of Yanks! for like 127 quid and I was tempted to buy it as an investment

My girlfriend wasnt so sure for some reason

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MikeCrotch posted:

I was in a games shop that had a copy of Yanks! for like 127 quid and I was tempted to buy it as an investment

My girlfriend wasnt so sure for some reason

Just show her those. Always invest in cardboard!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avalon-Hill-Squad-Leader-Yanks-Box-SW-/361890976327?hash=item5442621247:g:eR0AAOSwA3dYiw8J

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-ASL-Lot-Advanced-squad-Leader-OOP-Rare-/262828598156?hash=item3d31ce238c:g:TWEAAOSwB09YPvCE

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

tomdidiot posted:

That wasn't the right complaint about the supply rule (Honestly I just dislike how it puts a clunky limit on growth, and when I play the GoT game it makes me wish I was playing Diplomacy instead), but yeah considering I tried "A House Divided" and got overwhelmed I think you're right about this not being the thread for me. I was just hoping for a chunky game like Hammer of the Scots or 1812 that plays more than 4 and currently in print.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Triskelli posted:

You might try looking at Here I Stand or Virgin Queen. Not the greatest combat, either, but the way the factions interact is very interesting. You've got a lot more options for 4p games, like the COIN series, Sword of Rome, or even Pax Romana. There's really not a whole lot in this category for more then 4 players.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Oh, saw Fog of War in the same games shop as well - I remember some goon talking about it, did it wind up being any good?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

MikeCrotch posted:

Oh, saw Fog of War in the same games shop as well - I remember some goon talking about it, did it wind up being any good?

That was me, and I still have no clue. Too broke to buy it.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Speaking of buying games and investments, saw Devil's Cauldron on BGG for about a month. Was so tempted. Almost pulled the trigger several times. Didn't do it in the end - kind of regret it now.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Triskelli posted:

That wasn't the right complaint about the supply rule (Honestly I just dislike how it puts a clunky limit on growth, and when I play the GoT game it makes me wish I was playing Diplomacy instead), but yeah considering I tried "A House Divided" and got overwhelmed I think you're right about this not being the thread for me. I was just hoping for a chunky game like Hammer of the Scots or 1812 that plays more than 4 and currently in print.

I personally dislike this game, but The Napoleonic wars is a CDG that takes 5+ players. I personally prefer Here I Stand or Virgin Queen, but those have a fair bit more complexity.

Have a gander at the rules and see if you can grok them. http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/TNW-Rules-2008.pdf It might just be what you're looking for.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

tomdidiot posted:

I personally dislike this game, but The Napoleonic wars is a CDG that takes 5+ players. I personally prefer Here I Stand or Virgin Queen, but those have a fair bit more complexity.

Have a gander at the rules and see if you can grok them. http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/TNW-Rules-2008.pdf It might just be what you're looking for.

Do you have a personal preference between HIS and VQ? Is one significantly better than the other?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The existence of Here I Stand leads me to despair, because it's so exactly the kind of game I want to play but I know that it's extremely unlikely that I'll ever have the opportunity.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

CaptainRightful posted:

The existence of Here I Stand leads me to despair, because it's so exactly the kind of game I want to play but I know that it's extremely unlikely that I'll ever have the opportunity.

I played it twice back in like 2011 and never since then.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

T-Bone posted:

Do you have a personal preference between HIS and VQ? Is one significantly better than the other?

I prefer Here I Stand. I feel the factions are a little more fleshed out - Being the HRE or Ottomans in VQ feels like playing an upjumped mini-faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

tomdidiot posted:

I prefer Here I Stand. I feel the factions are a little more fleshed out - Being the HRE or Ottomans in VQ feels like playing an upjumped mini-faction.

Here I Stand has a lot more direct conflict, whereas VQ tends to have a lot less.