Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
What are they suing him for? Defacement? Copyright infringement? Harassment even?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

Just thought I'd bump this thread up with a bit of news.

Digital Homicide is now suing Jim Sterling for $10million.

It gets better.

Kotaku (Patrick Klepek specifically) interviewed them about it.

A writer from Destructoid had some questions about it, so they just forwarded them their e-mail thread from Klepek. When the writer told them they couldn't even read it since it'd be technically plagiarizing Klepek, they warned Destructoid that if anything disparaging were written about them, it'd be libel.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ada posted:

What are they suing him for? Defacement? Copyright infringement? Harassment even?

From Kotaku:

"On March 16, Digital Homicide formally filed a lawsuit in Arizona District Court, accusing Sterling of “assault, libel, and slander” to the tune of $10 million. (The only reason “assault” is listed is because libel is, legally speaking, part of a broader category when filing a lawsuit. Ignore that.) The lawsuit was filed by Digital Homicide co-founder James Romine."

So basically Sterling is getting sued because he's a meanie head because he and his fanbase made fun of DH's garbage.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Ada posted:

Damages resulting from lost sales amongst other things, due to his reviews and people's comments on their Steam page that they claim Sterling encouraged.

THere's a lot more to it, though how they arrived at $10MM is anyone's guess because that is a ridiculous amount.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You forgot the part where they said "10M" and then when you add up the costs it somehow magically becomes 11.
Maths.

Also I know we're backing off on the whole thing but I am utterly baffled DSP counts as big enough to get DarkSouls 3 early.
Actually can I talk about this whole marketing stunt? I get LPers and streamers getting the game a bit early to generate buzz, but the way it's being withheld when the final version is already done and ready just feels... wrong. I'm playing the leaked XBox version myself at a friend's for example.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The kotaku article has a rundown:

quote:

According to court documents, the company is asking for $2.26 million in direct product damage; $4.3 million in emotional, reputational, and financial distress; and $5 million in punitive damage requests

I'm always a little happy when people quantify these things in such detail.

edit: here's a gem:

quote:

Romine also said he recently received a package full of feces in the mail, despite “multiple requests private and public to the individual [Sterling] to inform his subscriber base to stop harassing me.”

Bwahahahaaha.

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 24, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think the poo poo part is going too far if it actually happened at least.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Some people are just idiots at judging when enough is enough and what constitutes going to far, which if I recall is why the Retsupurae thread doesn't exist anymore.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

HGH posted:

Well yeah but here's the thing: Sterling's not responsible for that (I can't prove that but pretty sure neither can they) and as far as I can tell he never endorsed those types of actions.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

HGH posted:

I agree. It's one of those things that's funny when you first hear about it, but on further thought it's like, "actually that's really hosed up"

HGH posted:

Also I know we're backing off on the whole thing but I am utterly baffled DSP counts as big enough to get DarkSouls 3 early.

I was kinda baffled by this, but apparently there was a region loophole on the XB1 version that let you get the US version from the JPN marketplace somehow, so it might not have been a sanctioned thing.

edit: Looked up his tweets - that's indeed how he got it early.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

double nine posted:

Well yeah but here's the thing: Sterling's not responsible for that (I can't prove that but pretty sure neither can they) and as far as I can tell he never endorsed those types of actions.

If you listened to the podcast/debate/baby argument Sterling had with them their evidence for him telling his fans to harass people was a joke he made about raising sub-human creatures in his basement that is so obviously a direct parody of the accusations of him telling his fans to harass people that Jim laughed for like a full minute.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HGH posted:

Actually can I talk about this whole marketing stunt? I get LPers and streamers getting the game a bit early to generate buzz, but the way it's being withheld when the final version is already done and ready just feels... wrong. I'm playing the leaked XBox version myself at a friend's for example.

The level of "bigness" is overestimated by people. As long as you have a channel and decent enough connections, you will get an early copy. I know a ton of double digit subscriber youtubers that got the super rare limited edition Fire Emblem because they basically asked nicely.

As for why it's been withheld, 90% of it is because April is the new fiscal year and the japanese version is published by FROM who don't have fiscal deadlines.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

The level of "bigness" is overestimated by people. As long as you have a channel and decent enough connections, you will get an early copy. I know a ton of double digit subscriber youtubers that got the super rare limited edition Fire Emblem because they basically asked nicely.

Like Slowbeef said, DSP didn't legitimately get it early, he used a region loophole to get it from the Japanese marketplace.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Tae posted:

While that particular case (Fire Emblem) is true, Dark Souls 3 was apparently not easy to get even amongst the "big" people.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Idran posted:

Like Slowbeef said, DSP didn't legitimately get it early, he used a region loophole to get it from the Japanese marketplace.
He's not clever enough to figure out crouch-jumping, but he figured out this???

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

VoidBurger posted:

No, it's basically internet-wide knowledge now. There's quite a few goons who already own DS3 by buying it off the Japanese PSN/XBox Store. All you need to do is make a Japanese PSN account and buy some PS Yen cards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VoidBurger posted:

It does it automatically. If you buy the game using a JP xbone account from a different region, it downloads the version of the game for the region you're in even though it's probably not supposed to.

Also he straight-up says in the video description that that's how he did it:

quote:

This is my playthrough of the Japanese version of Dark Souls III, purchased from the Japanese Xbox Live Store, with live commentary.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 25, 2016

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Oh okay, that makes waaaaay more sense. I thought he actually did something mildly clever for a minute there.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

MS are now apparently banning people who used that loophole until it comes out for real.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

TaurusOxford posted:

No, it's basically internet-wide knowledge now. There's quite a few goons who already own DS3 by buying it off the Japanese PSN/XBox Store. All you need to do is make a Japanese PSN account and buy some PS Yen cards.

I was very tempted, but I just can't justify the expense atm.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TaurusOxford posted:

PS Yen cards.

Is that the official term because if so I love that pun :3:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BioEnchanted posted:

Is that the official term because if so I love that pun :3:

It's not the official term...nor did I even recognize that I made a pun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TaurusOxford posted:

It's not the official term...nor did I even recognize that I made a pun.

PSN = PS Yen.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
So, um, uh, Tobuscus (CW: Like Everything)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Monicro posted:

That sounds like a whole lot of bullshit to me so I remain skeptical, because boy if any of it did happen he sure does hide his Cold, Uncaring, Manipulative, Sick personality well.

edit:

Tobuscus' mom did a big run-through of it and why she doesn't believe it which I think is pretty great though. Toby's mom claims the lady is a crazy stalker so hey who knows.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 10, 2016

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monicro posted:

:stare: That's...quite the list of accusations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's certainly a list there.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
his mom sounds like a piece of poo poo either way though lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

She posted some screenshots on her twitter which, while they don't correspond to the dates of her story, do lend some credence if they're real.

edit: Of course, that conversation is relevant to only one small section of a giant wall of accusations so I don't know how much that really proves even so.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

muike posted:

his mom sounds like a piece of poo poo either way though lol

That's all I could think too, even if the girl's whatever, "He also dont have sex with a same sex partners which was your preference, I do believe..." is a super gently caress you worthy passive-aggressive bullshit statement when you're trying to get snippy at someone saying they had all that done to them and so on.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

That sounds like a whole lot of bullshit to me so I remain skeptical, because boy if any of it did happen he sure does hide his Cold, Uncaring, Manipulative, Sick personality well.

edit:

Tobuscus' mom did a big run-through of it and why she doesn't believe it which I think is pretty great though. Toby's mom claims the lady is a crazy stalker so hey who knows.

I like how Literally, Actually The Accused's Mom is the one who's word you're taking here

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm not taking anybody's word, I'm erring on the side of disbelief and providing evidence of both sides. That's what being skeptical of something means. I said it sounds like bullshit, and it does, but that doesn't mean I think it's bullshit- it could very well not be. Sweet callout attempt though, way to focus on what's really important.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 10, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, if there was a place I wouldn't peg as a sick, depraved house of loving and drugs it would be a LPer house. Imagine the crazy orgies at PDP's house.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wasn't Tobuscus the guy that roundabout or maybe blatantly I forget, said that if more people had been outpouring fans like him then Robin Williams probably wouldn't have committed suicide?

Cause if that's the same dude, yeah he sounded pretty lovely even before you level any of that at him.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'm not taking anybody's word, I'm erring on the side of disbelief and providing evidence of both sides. That's what being skeptical of something means. I said it sounds like bullshit, and it does, but that doesn't mean I think it's bullshit- it could very well not be. Sweet callout attempt though, way to focus on what's really important.

If someone's claiming something horrible has happened to that you shouldn't be automatically assuming they're lying. That's a pretty drat lovely way of going about things.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I wonder if my mom will change her facebook name to mommurath; I don't think she'd support my hobby like that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

I wonder if my mom will change her facebook name to mommurath; I don't think she'd support my hobby like that.

That's a much better name than Niggurmom.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Also, if the whole sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll lifestyle can happen to a friggin Soap Shoe Celebrity, it can totally happen to a Youtube celebrity. People get corrupted by fame, no matter how stupid/niche the fame is (reminder, Tobuscus has a TOY in Toys R Us). I think it's stone-cold plausible that all that Tobuscus poo poo could be true.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Niggurath posted:

Hey, make enough money off LPs and she will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

If someone's claiming something horrible has happened to that you shouldn't be automatically assuming they're lying. That's a pretty drat lovely way of going about things.

Yeah, like I don't mean to be overly rude or turn this into a rape culture derail but that's kinda really skeevy :(

• Locked thread