Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I think these are good quality of life mods for single player:
- blueprint flipper (allows mirroring blueprints)
- blueprint string
- flow control (better pipes)
- larger inventory
- long reach
- rail tanker
- upgrade planner

FARL is not quite as essential anymore but is still cool and good. Hacked splitters sometimes comes in handy for certain types of belt balancing but isn't essential. Factorissimo isn't really QoL but is great anyway. I've never used autofill but I guess it's pretty handy, especially if you like turret walking.

Other fun but not essential mods: FLAN, Foreman, Honk, Warehousing, Reactors, Tankwerkz, Flare Stack, Side inserters.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Honk is essential

:colbert:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm approximately midway through my first game and I've hit a bit of a wall with regards to power production. The returns from solar power aren't impressing me, and steam engines aren't really cutting it anymore either. Things reached an ugly head when I added a factorissimo building, which had a cascade effect that I didn't notice until it was too late to prevent my entire factory from coming to a dead stop.

Thanks to my tendencies to stockpile stuff, I had enough solid fuel to power one set of boilers long enough for the power grid to bootstrap itself back into working order. But this has left me looking for alternatives to what the vanilla game has to offer. So I'm looking for a mod that adds some better power options that aren't "mine even more coal and feed it into increasingly large clusters of boilers" or endless fields of solar panels.

I'm going to add the reactors mod and give that a look, but are there any others that you all can recommend as well? All the stuff I've seen on the mods website seem to be either endgame fusion power plants or wind turbines that provide half of what a solar panel does, with nothing really in-between.

If you have Factorissimo, you know you can do the power buildings to generate a dick-ton of power in a pretty compact space with just coal (or solid fuel) as the input, right? About a dozen pages back a goon posted a nice image of the boiler and steam engine setups for each, which outputs about 50MW per building. Sure, you need a least a maxed red-belt shoving coal into it or maybe a yellow belt shoving fuel into it, and 8 water pumps shoving water as fast as it can, but by god, it can put out a lot of power.

KS_power is super nice since the diesel generators put out a similarly vast amount of power, and give you some extra complexity in refining diesel fuel. Sure you could run excess heavy/light oil, but it's way more efficient to run diesel.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

TheFluff posted:

I think these are good quality of life mods for single player:
- blueprint flipper (allows mirroring blueprints)
- blueprint string

Kblueprints has all the blueprint stuff rolled into one mod and it exports/imports entire collections in one go.

Warehousing just makes life easier. Chainsaw and Robot_Cleanup take care of tree clearance and YARM is for people who like to know when their resources are about to run out.

Willfrey posted:

Fun alternative: watch a factorio speed run. they launch a rocket in under 2 hours.

though it seems a bit cheat-y playing a no aggression game

That's the least of it. The guy doing those is still on 0.12 so he doesn't need to deal with any recent changes, it's a map with maxed resource patches IIRC and he's played it so often he knows pretty much to the second how long things take or how many artifacts he usually gets from a particular nest.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I played the demo of this and it seems promising. Not a fan of the combat, though I read that it got improved in a patch since release. Is that the case?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Plan Z posted:

So I played the demo of this and it seems promising. Not a fan of the combat, though I read that it got improved in a patch since release. Is that the case?

Flamethrowers.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Plan Z posted:

The combat is optional to an extent (you can make them never attack first) and completely optional with mods. It's tedious make work with attacks on the base being 100% predictable and nest clearance just work (a combination of turrets and flamethrower is simplest at the moment). Don't let the combat put you off, if you just want to play the builder side you can pretty easily.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I exclusively play on peaceful mode. You can play peaceful with aliens still enabled, allowing you to deal with natives in the more traditional European manner: ignore them until they're sitting on something you want, in which case kill them.

eating_instructions
Oct 25, 2005
1) Twist it. 2) Lick the cream. 3) Dunk it in the milk? 4) AGGHHH IT BURNS!
If anyone can't wait for this upcoming fix in 0.15:

Kovarex in latest blog post posted:

• Decrease the bounding box of burner mining drills,chemical plants and pumpjacks so walking in between them is possible.

There's a mod that does exactly that already:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Supercheese/Squeak%20Through

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

eating_instructions posted:

If anyone can't wait for this upcoming fix in 0.15:

There's a mod that does exactly that already:

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Supercheese/Squeak%20Through

Squeak through is pretty extreme though. We have it on the DyTech save and you can run through anything including solid lengths of pipe. Convenient but it's like turning off clipping in an FPS.

eating_instructions
Oct 25, 2005
1) Twist it. 2) Lick the cream. 3) Dunk it in the milk? 4) AGGHHH IT BURNS!

Ratzap posted:

Squeak through is pretty extreme though. We have it on the DyTech save and you can run through anything including solid lengths of pipe. Convenient but it's like turning off clipping in an FPS.

Yeah good point. It does feel a bit cheaty. No more need for underground pipes essentially. Is there another mod that does something less extreme?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The only collision tweak I run is a custom one that reduces trees' hitboxes to the same size as the player's, so forests are passable.

As far as pipes go, if you place underground pipes immediately adjacent (i.e. zero underground length), you can pass through the gap.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ratzap posted:

I like to think of it as the player hurdling the pipe.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ambaire posted:

I like to think of it as the player hurdling the pipe.

I looked at some pictures of oil pipelines, and it looked like the only ones that aren't easily hopped over are raised high enough to walk under.

DEVS! :goonsay:

Also, I guess Factorio does imitate life a fair bit in pipe madness:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

TheFluff posted:

Mostly letting stuff sit on belts. I'm not actually very good at planning things so actually building takes a very, very long time and I spend a lot of time just loving around and thinking about what to do next.
Hah, this is me too. My latest save has a big iron smelter, a big copper smelter, some small stone and coal miners, red and green research factory (with labs) and a single refinery/chemical plant just for making plastic. There's the embryo of a railway system (a single station with some warehouses that the smelters dump the excess into) but no trains.

I'm just walking around poking at the setup and researching everything I don't need blue science for with no plan for how to expand.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Are there any preferred settings for map generation when using RSO? I usually go with normal/standard everything.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I usually go into the xml and crank up the oil setting that causes more discrete oil spots per patch because every oil spot is going to be 0.1/s some time soon, so a bunch of them in one spot helps me feel like I am not adding oil transport for no real reason.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

Are there any preferred settings for map generation when using RSO? I usually go with normal/standard everything.

If anything I edit the config rather than map gen settings. Chance per region down usually (varies from 5% to 30% depending on how much open space I want, default is 60) and I set biter chance down too but the size up. Less of them around but you get a decent amount of artifacts from each clump.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Would this kind of edit work on a current game? I assume it does but only for unexplored areas, right?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

Would this kind of edit work on a current game? I assume it does but only for unexplored areas, right?

If you want, you can get it to regen the explored part too. Use these commands:

/c remote.call("RSO", "regenerate", true")
/c game.forces.local_player.rechart()

Then look at the map and watch it "rediscover" the newly generated map. The true in there means don't regen the start area.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Ratzap posted:

If anything I edit the config rather than map gen settings. Chance per region down usually (varies from 5% to 30% depending on how much open space I want, default is 60) and I set biter chance down too but the size up. Less of them around but you get a decent amount of artifacts from each clump.

The biter one is good, it is kinda nice if you have them on active mode. You still have the external threat- it's less common but harder hitting. (I still kinda like the biters)

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>
Anyone else having problems performance wise with the new experimental?
For some reason saving games now takes 5 minutes (I wish I was exaggerating).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Exewu posted:

It's been fine for me. Both the PC and the server.

Is your disk full or something else on your machine causing problems? How big's the map?

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>
How can I see how big my map is?
I tried starting a new game and that's as fast as ever so it must be something with the save game/map. perhaps I explored too much territory? I just think it's odd that performance wise my game became so much worse over the past few weeks. I didn't really expand much, only upgraded my game version.
I did create a huge new logistic area. perhaps that's the problem?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Another update to Reactors - this time adding a signal to tell the reactor to stop (and in the process swapping around some signal graphics):
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=33359

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Exewu posted:

How can I see how big my map is?
I tried starting a new game and that's as fast as ever so it must be something with the save game/map. perhaps I explored too much territory? I just think it's odd that performance wise my game became so much worse over the past few weeks. I didn't really expand much, only upgraded my game version.
I did create a huge new logistic area. perhaps that's the problem?

Look in the saves folder and see how big the zip file is. Or if you think it's your logistics area you can try the debug/diagnostics - F5. Your screen will show a whole load of numbers which include timings for a lot of the internal workings. If there's something wrong, it will be in there somewhere. Good luck.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Trying to figure out if this is possible with signals or not...

I want a train that will carry solar panels and accumulators to my solar robo network. I'm thinking two wagons, one full of panels, one full of accumulators. I want it to when one of the wagons is empty. Can that be done fairly easily, or should I just send two trains?

Bonus, I also need to move substations and roboports (though in much smaller quantities). Any thoughts how I should do that? Really wish you could read the contents of a train from the train station.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The thing is, in the case of solar panels and accumulators, you're unlikely to be using them for anything else. So why not just load them up and have the train come back for a refill when one of the two quantities runs dry (which you can specify using <Item 1> = 0 OR <Item 2> = 0)?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, glad I asked because I would have never thought of it that way. As soon as there's none of something in that network, send the train back to base until full, then repeat.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FISHMANPET posted:

Trying to figure out if this is possible with signals or not...

I want a train that will carry solar panels and accumulators to my solar robo network. I'm thinking two wagons, one full of panels, one full of accumulators. I want it to when one of the wagons is empty. Can that be done fairly easily, or should I just send two trains?

Bonus, I also need to move substations and roboports (though in much smaller quantities). Any thoughts how I should do that? Really wish you could read the contents of a train from the train station.

reserve slots in the trains for the misc components in the proper ratios and just use standard full/empty logic?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Exewu posted:

What mods are you using?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
174 hours played in this game and I haven't actually logged a win yet; in the past I've just been overwhelmed by how complex late-game manufacturing is, but this time I'm closer than ever. Reaching those big production milestones and watching your base output skyrocket is so satisfying. This time I've made it further than ever, now fully able to mass-produce blue belts and my base is now 100% using blue belts and it just looks sick as hell. Also having clouds of robots continuously supplying me with more blue belts so I never need to stop to refill, and more clouds of robots clearing trees out of the way so I have room. But now I need to actually increase my production again to justify the bandwidth. Guess I can start by replacing my blue assemblers with yellow ones. The struggle continues. :(

What a loving satisfying game, though. The only thing I don't like is that there's no way to automate alien artifact harvesting. It feels a little weird to have to go manually collect stuff now.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Can someone make a bizzaro spacestation 13 mod for this? I was thinking about it last night and it seems like a good bit of the fundamental systems are already implimented.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RyokoTK posted:

What a loving satisfying game, though. The only thing I don't like is that there's no way to automate alien artifact harvesting. It feels a little weird to have to go manually collect stuff now.

Someone posted that in the recent FFF thread.

kovarex posted:

MrGrim posted:

Vizzy posted:

One suggestion I might make in regards to content would be some way to automate biter base killing. The mod Robot Army (https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=23543) is a good example but I think the idea would really benefit from an official implementation because of the complexity of things like pathing.

Thanks for posting more excellent Friday Facts :)

Indeed, if the intent is to nerf turret creeping then it would be helpful if something could be done to help alleviate the tedium of mid/late game land clearing. It would be difficult to do this while also maintaining the pressure that biter expansion and pollution mechanics provide which I personally think are quite enjoyable. I just wish there was an option when it comes time to seize more territory beyond the very manual and repetitive process there is now. The first 100 biter bases burned to the ground are fun.. the next 100 less so..
I forgot to mention that. This will be solved by the artillery train! :)

Soooo, artillery train. Bringing drive-by shootings to a planet near you soon?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

RyokoTK posted:

174 hours played in this game and I haven't actually logged a win yet; in the past I've just been overwhelmed by how complex late-game manufacturing is, but this time I'm closer than ever. Reaching those big production milestones and watching your base output skyrocket is so satisfying. This time I've made it further than ever, now fully able to mass-produce blue belts and my base is now 100% using blue belts and it just looks sick as hell. Also having clouds of robots continuously supplying me with more blue belts so I never need to stop to refill, and more clouds of robots clearing trees out of the way so I have room. But now I need to actually increase my production again to justify the bandwidth. Guess I can start by replacing my blue assemblers with yellow ones. The struggle continues. :(

Try building a rocket. You'll discover all kinds of bottlenecks you didn't think of.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't know, building a rocket is kind of simpler than building the sort of set up that lets you use blue belts without a second thought, ditto for assembler 3s.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

LtSmash posted:

Try building a rocket. You'll discover all kinds of bottlenecks you didn't think of.

I'm still teching to it. I'm playing on peaceful because biters just suck (it's really cool that you can make them passive) so I'm just getting around to farming up artifacts now.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I've finally gotten into oil for the first time and holy cow, I can feel my brain melting.:psyduck:
What do I do with all the heavy and light oil? Turn it into Solid fuel?

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Can someone make a bizzaro spacestation 13 mod for this? I was thinking about it last night and it seems like a good bit of the fundamental systems are already implimented.

Only if I can toolbox the gently caress out of some biters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

James The 1st posted:

I've finally gotten into oil for the first time and holy cow, I can feel my brain melting.:psyduck:
What do I do with all the heavy and light oil? Turn it into Solid fuel?

Flamer fuel. Burn everything.