Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

awesmoe posted:

Yeah I totally agree with this assessment. He's also less aware of it than the people around him are (as is often the case) which rubs some readers the wrong way.

Yeah, Peter Grant is a completely believable rear end. It's good writing from a character standpoint but it makes it hard to enjoy the character for me. It's not because he's someone who is a poo poo that I'm supposed to not think is a poo poo as happens sometimes with writers (*coughTHOMAScough*) just a believable kind of (for lack of a better word) sorta manchildy guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
But IM a sorta manchildy guy!

Edit: more seriously, the manchildy protagonist is kinda a building block of the genre; Dresden is an even bigger goon, and Verus is in the same ballpark. Faust has a succubus waifu. I feel like with Peter Grant at least the mixed race elements make up for what would otherwise be a much less interesting (nerdy slacker lucks into magic career) protagonist.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 29, 2017

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Exmond posted:

I don't think you get to that point by Book 3 though, by book 3 curran has

1) Broke into her house and watched her sleep

2) Be alpha as fuuuuuck and hes so strong and hes so amazing

3) Broke into her house and ate her food

4) Been alpha because "THE PACK" but not have a good reason for it

5) Offered her food which apparently means they are in a relationship

6) Been talked about a lot, but rarely shown, to have anything but fight fight fight mentality
7) Been "The muscle" when kate needed rescuing

It's just too much and too weak of a character for me to put up with. If it gets better that's great. I think not being into paranormal romance (And not having read those novels) killed the series for me. Apparently the Kate Daniels book makes fun of the typical paranormal romance tropes but all it seemed to do was have every male want to bone Kate.

This is all true, but we do know Kate's secrets more or less from the off. So for me, I guess, it makes sense that the man in charge of an army of supernatural hunters and killers is a good choice for her. For what it is worth I feel like you do about mercy Thompson series - it has gone too far into awesome bestest alpha territory for me. Probably because although mercy is cyotes daughter, she is explicitly less destructo powerful than Kate is. There is no real narrative reason she needs a hubby who is the most powerful non family wolf. P Briggs just has a lady boner for old fashioned Military Men.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

He's a bit of a oval office, but in a way that feels realistic and formed life experiences.

He comes off as more of a real person to me than a lot of urban fantasy protagonists. Sort of like a magic policeman version of Dave Lister, maybe.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I feel the same way about Pete

Wheat Loaf posted:

Peter Grant hasn't ever struck me as a particularly bad guy. :confused:

Same here. Like I wonder if I missed something in the books that lead to the Peter hate. Dresden and Verus are WAY worse than he is. He just seems like a regular guy. He's not always great, but he loves his junkie jazz dad and his domineering mum, he shows empathy and the occasional flash of smarts, he screws up sometimes but not in rear end in a top hat ways. Heck, the biggest thing for me was being a fucken dimwit as regards his jazz vampire girlfriend, and even then better men than him have ignored the signs of a hot jazz vampire.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

navyjack posted:

Same here. Like I wonder if I missed something in the books that lead to the Peter hate. Dresden and Verus are WAY worse than he is. He just seems like a regular guy. He's not always great, but he loves his junkie jazz dad and his domineering mum, he shows empathy and the occasional flash of smarts, he screws up sometimes but not in rear end in a top hat ways. Heck, the biggest thing for me was being a fucken dimwit as regards his jazz vampire girlfriend, and even then better men than him have ignored the signs of a hot jazz vampire.

I'd even give him a pass on that given how new he was to the study of magic and the fact that "jazz vampire" isn't exactly a concept or creature that most anyone would be aware of (unless they are one I suppose though the girls themselves don't fully seem to fully grasp the nature of what they are). The criticism (seen elsewhere ITT) that he can be self-absorbed and even immature is fair-- he's well meaning, but his tendency to blame himself for the failures of others close to him suggests that he doesn't fully grasp the fact that individuals can and will make decisions for themselves that are at odds with what he would prefer to see them do. But again, I think that's appropriate to the character. He's a cop, an island of official law and order in a very strange and often hostile world. I don't think he's stupid by any stretch, but I do think that he does not focus on tasks well (and isn't really allowed to, given the enormity of what he has to learn and do and his relative youth) so the end result looks a lot like incompetence.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

But IM a sorta manchildy guy!

Edit: more seriously, the manchildy protagonist is kinda a building block of the genre; Dresden is an even bigger goon, and Verus is in the same ballpark. Faust has a succubus waifu. I feel like with Peter Grant at least the mixed race elements make up for what would otherwise be a much less interesting (nerdy slacker lucks into magic career) protagonist.

I wouldn't say Verus is a manchild, just emotionally damaged and coping by shutting himself off. I kind of like that his survivor's instinct pushes him to make decisions which aren't always right or best choices, and he acknowledges it. It's kind of hard to watch sometimes, but it is interesting and believable.

On the other hand, there are pages of Dresden where he agitates a perfect stranger for no reason, reflects upon how they could ruin his day, then pokes them in the eye. :allears:

navyjack posted:

I am willing to bet if you trimmed away the cop-things that color Peter's perception of the world, more people would just think he was a little off instead of a bit dickish. I think he's OK.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Heh, just finished the latest Peter Grant. I like that he's not perfect, and it's not in the same 'gets mad and does something dumb' way that is a bit overdone in the genre. I also like how magic is specifically NOT linked to emotion and sympathy and is well, Newtonian instead.

I'm a bit... hm, I don't know if I should say disappointed? With Hanging Tree. It was a good romp, we learned some pretty important things for the series going forwards, but well, nothing got resolved. Good side-character development and such but it feels like we stalled out somewhere after the tower fell down and the pacing's gotten too slow. Also Peter himself hasn't really leveled up enough to take on the baddies, which he's going to need to start doing at some point. It introduces some interesting ideas and I'm hoping it starts moving a little faster. Also after THE TALK with Lady Ty I'd really like to see him marry Beverly and have some adorable little streams of his own. :3:

---

I met the author of the London Falling books. He's way too cheerful to be the guy who writes those books. Like we were chatting excitedly together about the "Cops find out about the supernatural, immediately requisition a Rabbi/Priest/Imam to see if religious items have magical powers" scene in the first book which I liked a lot. It wasn't until later that I realized you probably can't have super happy conversations about basically any other scene in that book since half of them are about abduction and murder, and the other half are about being sucked into literal Hell. It was an experience. I have a signed copy of his second book that I haven't read yet because I'm kind of afraid to. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mistaya posted:

I'm a bit... hm, I don't know if I should say disappointed? With Hanging Tree. It was a good romp, we learned some pretty important things for the series going forwards, but well, nothing got resolved. Good side-character development and such but it feels like we stalled out somewhere after the tower fell down and the pacing's gotten too slow. Also Peter himself hasn't really leveled up enough to take on the baddies, which he's going to need to start doing at some point. It introduces some interesting ideas and I'm hoping it starts moving a little faster. Also after THE TALK with Lady Ty I'd really like to see him marry Beverly and have some adorable little streams of his own. :3:

As I understand it, Aaronovitch likes to alternate between standalone cases and cases that fit into the Faceless Man/and possibly also Mr Punch? story arc. It's not a bad idea - it's what The X-Files did fro nine years - but it doesn't help when there's naturally a much bigger gap between instalments than there is with a TV show.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mistaya posted:

I met the author of the London Falling books. He's way too cheerful to be the guy who writes those books. Like we were chatting excitedly together about the "Cops find out about the supernatural, immediately requisition a Rabbi/Priest/Imam to see if religious items have magical powers" scene in the first book which I liked a lot. It wasn't until later that I realized you probably can't have super happy conversations about basically any other scene in that book since half of them are about abduction and murder, and the other half are about being sucked into literal Hell. It was an experience. I have a signed copy of his second book that I haven't read yet because I'm kind of afraid to. :shobon:
You didn't happen to ask what the gently caress was the idea behind putting Gaiman as a character in the second one? Like, maybe it's a tribute but it just confuses the hell out of me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

You didn't happen to ask what the gently caress was the idea behind putting Gaiman as a character in the second one? Like, maybe it's a tribute but it just confuses the hell out of me.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-i-turned-neil-gaiman-into-a-fictional-character-for-1591547733

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh-huh. I guess the question shifts to "why the hell did he think he needed a real person for that" then. It just felt really out of place.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
GBS hates womenNeil Gaiman.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Wizchine posted:

GBS hates womenNeil Gaiman.

Whats wrong with neil Gaiman? I liked american gods save for the vore scene.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Exmond posted:

I love Neil Gaiman. But a lot of people on GBS seem to look down their noses at him for some reason.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Exmond posted:

Neil Gaiman is the Nightmare Before Christmas of authors. Perfectly enjoyably by himself, but the fanbase...

He just pops up in a lot of things for no reason other than being Neil Gaiman.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Relevant: https://youtu.be/8-KKYgmtqqg

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Neil Gaiman is the Nightmare Before Christmas of authors. Perfectly enjoyably by himself, but the fanbase...

Neil Gaiman is a perfectly tolerable author, and his Sandman stuff will forever be a treasured part of comics, but Neil Gaiman made his bones as a twee urban fantasy writer back when twee urban fantasy was a sparse and unpeopled desert landscape and its fans had no one else to go to. These days, when there's actual competition and a much broader and more popularized fantasy landscape, he's just kind of an okay writer, but he still has the reputation and the fandom from when he was a standout figure, which can be grating.

It's like the difference between Tim Burton, the quaint little weirdo goth quasi-indie 80's filmmaker, and Tim Burton, the current and forever face of Hot Topic merchandise.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 31, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xIHVrTc0ps

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine all the main urban fantasy series were scheduled to be adapted to TV next year: what would be the ideal casting for the lead in each of them?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For all the British ones (Rivers, Verus, Rook) probably unknowns I've never seen before.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The answer is always Idris Elba. Even for Kate Daniels and Myfanwy Thomas.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Stana Katic is a good fit for Kate Daniels series I think. She's got quite a strong presence. So has the actress who plays Sif in the Thor movies.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Decius posted:

Ellie Kemper for Thomas

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xtanstic posted:

Ellie Kemper for Thomas

Entirely too cute

Is myfanwy even a redhead

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Entirely too cute

"Wrong hair color" is one of the strangest objections to a casting. People know you can dye hair, right?

Like when Emma Stone was cast as Gwen Stacy, and people complained, "But she's a red head!" And the way she calmed people down was to say, "Guys, it's okay, I'm a natural blonde, I just dye my hair red." And everyone said, "Oh okay." As if the opposite wouldn't have been acceptable.

This is less against you specifically, as I have no idea what character we're even talking about, so maybe she's a terrible choice. But hair color really shouldn't be the reason.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Decius posted:

I'd watch the hell out of him in Rivers of London or Shadow Police.

Make him the team lead in Shadow Police. :allears: :allears: :allears:

Now I'm imagining him in the Hell chapters. Oh my gooooood

Edit: Quill

Double edit: I mean, I watched The Dark Tower because of him and McConaughey, and because of them I, uh, found parts of it tolerably fun

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 31, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Entirely too cute

Myfanwy can manage cute, but has dark hair (as noted, you can dye that).

quote:

I am nondescript, she thought. Nondescript features with shoulder-length dark hair.

quote:

I won’t be able to hit the level of Hot, but I might be able to manage Cute.

For people targeting age-appropriate casting, Myfanwy is 31.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

Myfanwy can manage cute, but has dark hair (as noted, you can dye that).

For people targeting age-appropriate casting, Myfanwy is 31.

Whatsherface from Torchwood? Or for a fun twist, Nessa from Gavin and Stacy (who also played a Myfanwy on Little Britain).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jodie Whittaker or Michelle Dockery might be good as Myfanwy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

tessiebee posted:

Whatsherface from Torchwood? Or for a fun twist, Nessa from Gavin and Stacy (who also played a Myfanwy on Little Britain).
Eve Myles? Because I can also see her as Myfanwy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Found this in PYF, and seems like a perfect illustration for any adaptation of Skin Game:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

darthbob88 posted:

Eve Myles? Because I can also see her as Myfanwy.

Thank you, yes. I like her as an actress and she's TV plain enough to be the unassuming Took ( lovely but not stunning ).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

thrawn527 posted:

"Wrong hair color" is one of the strangest objections to a casting. People know you can dye hair, right?

Like when Emma Stone was cast as Gwen Stacy, and people complained, "But she's a red head!" And the way she calmed people down was to say, "Guys, it's okay, I'm a natural blonde, I just dye my hair red." And everyone said, "Oh okay." As if the opposite wouldn't have been acceptable.

This is less against you specifically, as I have no idea what character we're even talking about, so maybe she's a terrible choice. But hair color really shouldn't be the reason.

It's an image thing. Ellie Kemper is basically perfect for innocent+perky ingenue roles and the red hair is part of that. She could dye it sure but it's part of her image.

Myfanwy .. that sort of casting could work due to the amnesia angle but it would clash with her outward "cold competent persona that her prior self apparently had. Dark haired personality type vs. light haired personality type.

Elvira isn't a blonde, even if Elvira actually was in fact a strawberry blonde and wore a wig (true fact!). Hair = image = typecasting.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Didn't the Twilight lady license The Rook books for TV adaptation

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Scorchy posted:

Didn't the Twilight lady license The Rook books for TV adaptation

Apparently, and it's going to come up on Starz.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

It could be good as long as they don't make it about teenagers.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

tessiebee posted:

Whatsherface from Torchwood?
Well, Eve Miles (who plays Gwen, which I assume is who you're referring to) is actually Welsh, so that's a good fit, but since we were talking age appropriate casting she's a little old for the part (she's ~40). If they were to start the film soon, she'd be fine, I'm sure, but I don't see a Rook movie getting slated unless there's a couple more books and they don't come out very fast. I mean, Dresden didn't even get a low-budget TV series until book 5(?) and it was a NYTimes best selling series.

tessiebee posted:

...Or for a fun twist, Nessa from Gavin and Stacy (who also played a Myfanwy on Little Britain).
Nessa (Ruth Jones) is probably a bit past the right age group. She's fifty.

Myfanwy needs to be in that nebulous age group where she's neither old nor young. In her first appearance she's remarkable only for how absurdly unremarkable she is.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
People were talking about London Falling earlier, so I picked up a copy. I'm interested in it being more horror as well, so I can't wait to dive in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

People were talking about London Falling earlier, so I picked up a copy. I'm interested in it being more horror as well, so I can't wait to dive in!

Be warned - the beginning is a bit rough. Give it a few chapters.