Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
So. This policy is new to me. My mother went to the apples tore for a broken 6+screen (no other damage)
I set her the genius appointment thinking. Well that's 130 gone but not that bad.

They ended up breaking the phone trying to replace the screen and charged her the out of warranty repair price for a new one. WTF? I mean they apparently told her it might get damage during the repair but this is the absolutely not the customer service expected from apple.

Has anyone had a similar experience/thoughts on what good it will do to complain to apple?

My mum got so frustrated that she his swearing of Apple and she's been on iPhones since the 3G. Even from a business standpoint this seems lousy to charge an extra 250 they will end up losing someone who buys iPads/Iphones every other year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Was it an actual retail Apple Store or a certified Apple service / reseller? Seems pretty simple to go in and complain about what happened if it's a retail store.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Was it an actual retail Apple Store or a certified Apple service / reseller? Seems pretty simple to go in and complain about what happened if it's a retail store.

Apple retail store. Blue shirts and all

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

just_a_guy posted:

Apple retail store. Blue shirts and all
This absolutely should not have happened. Go back on a different day and complain to a manager.

I took my iPhone 5 in when they had their battery replacement program last year, and in the process, they somehow damaged the cellular radio. They ended up just giving me a new refurb.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Keep making noise about that lovely store experience to Apple. Email tcook@apple.com if you still can't get satisfaction. Not kidding.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
I am definitely complaining. (Actually having my mom go back and complaint. She's in France and I am not :)
But if she can't get a better solution I will keep making noise (I work in customer service making noise always gets you somewhere)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh this was in France? That makes sense.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Yeah that's a pretty big detail to leave out. The parts of U.S. companies that operate overseas sometimes work in a very different way than what you encounter here in the states, as your mom experienced.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ah, the French. Doin French things.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't know anything about how the French Apple support does things but that makes zero sense. The whole point of going to an Apple Store or AASP is to get repairs done through an official channel so it gets done right or the device is replaced.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Even outside the U.S. Apple has standards that customers expect them to maintain. I am not complaining that she has to pay for a repair (she did drop the phone and break it. Although I feel the sixes are more breakage prone) my issue is with techs breaking something and the customer paying for it.

In another note I had also set up an appointment for her to try the Apple watch, no one could tell her how it worked awesome training... Seriously if I trained my guys to answer customer queries like that I would have been fired long ago

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 30, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Are you sure it wasn't a Microsoft store secretly disguised as an Apple Store

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Have you been to a Microsoft store? All they would have to do is replace "Microsoft" with "Apple" and you have the same exact store. It's shameless how much they copied (although I do like the TVs on the wall thing the MS store does).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to tell Siri to pick an album at random and play it start to finish? She seems to only know how to shuffle songs.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

just_a_guy posted:

Even outside the U.S. Apple has standards that customers expect them to maintain. I am not complaining that she has to pay for a repair (she did drop the phone and break it. Although I feel the sixes are more breakage prone) my issue is with techs breaking something and the customer paying for it.

In another note I had also set up an appointment for her to try the Apple watch, no one could tell her how it worked awesome training... Seriously if I trained my guys to answer customer queries like that I would have been fired long ago

Yeah that just sounds weird if that's basically the story. Start with the store manager and walk up the chain for a resolution if you don't get it. Make it clear you don't object to the normal screen breakage fee, but charging for damage that occurs in the tech's possession just seems very wrong if it's an apple store.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to believe that it's legal for a repair shop to charge you for damage you didn't cause.

withak posted:

Is there any way to tell Siri to pick an album at random and play it start to finish? She seems to only know how to shuffle songs.

"Play album (name of album)"?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

It's hard to believe that it's legal for a repair shop to charge you for damage you didn't cause.

"Play album (name of album)"?
They want a random album though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah I want her to pick an album then play it starting at track one.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
What's the recommended program for exporting text messages? I wanna archive them on my computer so I can look at them in 20 years and reflect on the poorer decisions I've made in life.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

fletcher posted:

What's the recommended program for exporting text messages? I wanna archive them on my computer so I can look at them in 20 years and reflect on the poorer decisions I've made in life.

PhoneView

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Oops I guess I should have mentioned that I'm on Windows.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

withak posted:

Not quite with Siri, but if you have Workflow for iOS, I whipped this up for you so you can add it to your home screen:

https://workflow.is/workflows/a3512503d456442eb7b8ab918de5053b

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I've been having space issues on my iPhone. I have less than half a gig of apps and files and the like, but I'm running out of space even though my iPod has over 12 gigs of space. Where the hell is all this phantom data coming from, and how do I deal with it? I get that stuff like iOS takes up space, but I have considerably less space now than when I first got it.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hadaka Apron posted:

I've been having space issues on my iPhone. I have less than half a gig of apps and files and the like, but I'm running out of space even though my iPod has over 12 gigs of space. Where the hell is all this phantom data coming from, and how do I deal with it? I get that stuff like iOS takes up space, but I have considerably less space now than when I first got it.

What happens when you check your storage in settings? You want to go to settings > general > usage > manage storage. It should give you a breakdown there.

Talxina
Nov 13, 2014
I'm a tech nube but I luv my Iphone 6. The camera is fantastic compared to older ones and I tossed my digital cam in the cupboard to stay as I use the video and stills daily on real estate inspections (buying a house).

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

banana allergy posted:

What happens when you check your storage in settings? You want to go to settings > general > usage > manage storage. It should give you a breakdown there.

I get a list of apps, which all add up to less than half a gig. I know that I've had more space for apps in the past since I've deleted some.

EDIT: I hooked my iPhone up to my laptop and the vast majority of the space, more than 12 gigs' worth, is categorized as "other."

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 2, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Hadaka Apron posted:

I get a list of apps, which all add up to less than half a gig. I know that I've had more space for apps in the past since I've deleted some.

EDIT: I hooked my iPhone up to my laptop and the vast majority of the space, more than 12 gigs' worth, is categorized as "other."

Back it up to iCloud, flatten and restore. TBH iOS is really bad at getting rid of orphan data, last time I did this I went from ~500mb free to 5gb.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hadaka Apron posted:

I was in the middle of a big wifi sync, listening to music on Bluetooth and then turned on the Microwave. :downs:

Cue 5 gigs of "other".

A backup and restore fixed it mighty quick. :)

What I'm saying is, bad/interrupted syncs (wifi or wired) can create bad "other" data.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PhoneExpander used to be great for getting rid of all the Other junk but 8.3 killed it.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Huh, just noticed that my iPhone 6 has the off-center front camera thing going on. I don't have AppleCare on it though, got the phone in October from AT&T and forgot to buy it. Would they still swap it out?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's still under warranty from Apple.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Do you guys have a recommendation on screen protectors for a 6?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Is there any way to export iMessages so a chat log can be emailed to someone? I thought I saw something about this recently, but can't find it now.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Does the off center camera actually do anything? Or just looks weird physically? I never really use the front camera anyway.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

cryptoclastic posted:

Does the off center camera actually do anything? Or just looks weird physically? I never really use the front camera anyway.
It's purely cosmetic.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Well I recently lost my wallet. Now that I'm done with the annoying part of replacing everything in it, I think I'd like to opt to go slim and just used a iphone wallet case. The only issue is I want to keep as slim a profile on my case as possible still. Anyone have recommendation? Price isn't an issue, and I'd be willing to pay quite a bit if it's nice enough/functional without being bulky.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

shootforit posted:

Do you guys have a recommendation on screen protectors for a 6?

I'm team "screen protectors are worthless on an iPhone" but Bodyguardz really excels at making quality products and when I reviewed stuff for them, they always made sure I knew that. http://www.bodyguardz.com/the-crown

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

Loucks posted:

Is there any way to export iMessages so a chat log can be emailed to someone? I thought I saw something about this recently, but can't find it now.

PhoneView

If you're on a Mac that is.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

eltoozero posted:

PhoneView

If you're on a Mac that is.

I'm on Windows so I bought iExplorer over the weekend to export all my stuff before I switched to an S6, worked like a charm. I had to install iTunes to use it but I was able to export everything I wanted from my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's purely cosmetic.

I thought this but mine also has a display that doesnt quite sit level in the body and depending on the humidity/temperature, makes a creaking noise if you scroll up/down the right hand side of the display.

I've never dropped it or treated it poorly either.