Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

pidan posted:

My PHUO is that horror movies are better when the monster gets explained. I want to learn that the monster haunting the house is the ghost of a lady who is sad because her child died in a fire or something. I also want to know where that alien came from and why it hungers for human blood so much.

Of course many horror move explanations end up being bad and cheesy and ruining the mood, but the problem there is that the explanation is silly, not that it exists.

Yeah, horror needs rules, some sort of framework. I totally check out when the movie makes clear the evil force or monster can do anything the script calls for and is basically just god / Q what ever loving with people. Give me some general rules. The monster can only come out at night, the ghost is contained to the house and can only fool your senses, the demon only has power over people feeling strong negative emotions. But when the force of horror has no real motive, no framework for what it can or can't do, and nothing the humans do can help them it becomes totally disinteresting. Also why is the ghost trying to kill everyone, why is it a dick? "Well ghosts are evil and scary" isn't good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

pidan posted:

My PHUO is that horror movies are better when the monster gets explained. I want to learn that the monster haunting the house is the ghost of a lady who is sad because her child died in a fire or something. I also want to know where that alien came from and why it hungers for human blood so much.

Of course many horror move explanations end up being bad and cheesy and ruining the mood, but the problem there is that the explanation is silly, not that it exists.

I think I'd agree. I like horror movies with a realistic backstory, not just the lazy "this piranha/shark/crab/spider/whatever was exposed to radiation and got friggin huge" kind, or "a ghost is just here i guess, who cares".

And yes, I hate the demon stuff because they get built up to be these world-ending threats but end up just shaking some pots around and slamming doors until they get spooked enough to call in the people that can kill it. Just kill them from the start, get it over with.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
My fave horror movie was the 1999 House on Haunted Hill remake. For much of the same reasons, they explain the ghosts/The Darkness monster, and the mechanics of it, for lack of a better term, were genuinely interesting.

Hoo boy did that movie not get good reviews.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Das Boo posted:

I like looking at anime intros because that's typically where half the show's budget is. When Japanese animation actually has money behind it, they really go all out on fluid, dynamic movement and angles that Western animation won't touch unless it's like, The Thief and the Cobbler, where trippy animation's the whole point. Studios Madhouse and 4°C are particularly good when they severely distort models to emphasize motion.

Of course the content's typically poo poo, but I admire the technical execution and wish we would be more adventurous with our bloated animation budgets in the West. :sigh:

I dislike anime in general (because it is bad) but I agree re: intros.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I like the idea of humans getting caught in the path of forces they don't understand, sometimes it's better for a horror movie to not offer exposition in the same vein as Crichton's Sphere

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You ghost hating types should watch Eden Lake and Martyrs.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I like the idea of humans getting caught in the path of forces they don't understand, sometimes it's better for a horror movie to not offer exposition in the same vein as Crichton's Sphere

There is a fine line between explaining and overexplaining. The perfect horror movie gives the thing a motive but still leaves room for your imagination to wonder about "what if" scenarios. Like in "It" (book, movie, whatever) for example - it is clear how you beat it, but there is a lot of room left to wonder what is "it" and why is it there.

So I guess I prefer something in the middle - tell us enough to understand the thing but leave some mystery.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I think it's all contextual. Sometimes it's better to get the lowdown, especially if it's something that Man Hath Wrought and other times it's better if you don't get an explanation and the horror can from the powerlessness and insignificance in the face of it.

Similarly I agree that the monster needs to have a coherent set of internally consistent rules but I don't necessarily think those all need to be revealed to the audience, at least not explicitly so.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Or perhaps the scariest monster isn't a demon or a mysterious "thing", but rather a gang of teenage criminals, or a Christian cult into torturing women.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

There is a fine line between explaining and overexplaining. The perfect horror movie gives the thing a motive but still leaves room for your imagination to wonder about "what if" scenarios. Like in "It" (book, movie, whatever) for example - it is clear how you beat it, but there is a lot of room left to wonder what is "it" and why is it there.

So I guess I prefer something in the middle - tell us enough to understand the thing but leave some mystery.

It Follows is the perfect mix of this. There are rules to play by but the entity has no origin story and is mysterious enough that the whole movie maintains a dreamlike quality.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I thought 1408 did this well too. You never know exactly what the deal is, whether it's a ghost a demon or the room itself is just evil, or why it does what it does, but you understand what it does and it's very clear what the room's immediate objective is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The main thing is consistency. It can remain mysterious and alien as long as there's some sort of thematic consistency; it needs to have some kind of internal logic even if it's not really revealed what the deal is. You don't want it to be obvious that it's just acting according to the arbitrary whims of the plot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

I thought 1408 did this well too. You never know exactly what the deal is, whether it's a ghost a demon or the room itself is just evil, or why it does what it does, but you understand what it does and it's very clear what the room's immediate objective is.

I will always express my love for 1408 whenever I can. It's not perfect, but for what it is which is basically a solo-actor movie, it's extremely good. The multiple endings is annoying but I mean, it's a stephen king adaptation, you know going in you're going to get a poo poo ending. But yes, what the room is is one of the more interesting parts of it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think I'd agree. I like horror movies with a realistic backstory, not just the lazy "this piranha/shark/crab/spider/whatever was exposed to radiation and got friggin huge" kind, or "a ghost is just here i guess, who cares".

And yes, I hate the demon stuff because they get built up to be these world-ending threats but end up just shaking some pots around and slamming doors until they get spooked enough to call in the people that can kill it. Just kill them from the start, get it over with.

Which reminds me of one of my PHUOs: Lovecraft had some interesting ideas but was a poo poo writer.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

How can you look at this and not think it's a liartown parody?

OH haha that is just the cutest thing lol :3:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sunswipe posted:

Which reminds me of one of my PHUOs: Lovecraft had some interesting ideas but was a poo poo writer.

That's an extremely common opinion. If you mention you enjoy one of his stories be prepared to get told about how racist he was and how bad he was at writing.

I've read his entire work and listened to/read a lot of commentary on the stories, the dude, and his beliefs, and in my experience both the Cthulhu mythos superfans and the "he was total poo poo" crowd are not super familiar with his entire body of work.

(He was racist and his prose is too purple tho it's truee)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Whats your favourite? Me, The Festival or The Colour Out of Space.

The nethermost caverns...are not for the fathoming of eyes that see; for their marvels are strange and terrific. Cursed the ground where dead thoughts live new and oddly bodied, and evil the mind that is held by no head. Wisely did Ibn Schacabao say, that happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes. For it is of old rumour that the soul of the devil-bought hastes not from his charnel clay, but fats and instructs the very worm that gnaws; till out of corruption horrid life springs, and the dull scavengers of earth wax crafty to vex it and swell monstrous to plague it. Great holes secretly are digged where earth's pores ought to suffice, and things have learnt to walk that ought to crawl.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy Goodbody posted:

My PHUO is kinda tangential to that; horror movie monsters need rules. Defined abilities, goals, a way to defeat it.

When it's a paranormal Incident type monster, that sucks. It's a demon. What can it do? I dunno, anything. What does it want? To gently caress with people for a while and then kill them at the end of the movie for some reason. Can it be defeated? lol no. That's boring. There's no tension. The monster is going to gently caress with the characters for no reason and then kill them. If it's end goal is kill them, why not do that at the beginning? If there's no way to beat it, why do I care about the character's struggle?
The key is that stories should arise out of well-defined characters and their conflicting goals and motivations. The audience doesn't necessarily need to know what those goals and motivations are, as long as they're consistent, so we can see that everyone is acting in a way that makes sense. And it's true of all fiction. Bad fiction puts the heroes up against whatever obstacle is convenient at the time. Good fiction puts the hero up against a one or more opponents who want things that the hero is fundamentally opposed to. This applies as much to horror movies as anything else. If the hero or villain is too strong or too weak then there's no tension because there has to be some artificial contrivance to keep the story going.

Straight White Shark posted:

The main thing is consistency. It can remain mysterious and alien as long as there's some sort of thematic consistency; it needs to have some kind of internal logic even if it's not really revealed what the deal is. You don't want it to be obvious that it's just acting according to the arbitrary whims of the plot.
Exactly. As long as the monster is acting consistently we can figure out a basic idea of what it's about and it makes sense to us. If the writer has no idea what the monster wants and is just throwing arbitrary obstacles in the way of the protagonist then it comes across as dumb and unsatisfying.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's an extremely common opinion. If you mention you enjoy one of his stories be prepared to get told about how racist he was and how bad he was at writing.

I've read his entire work and listened to/read a lot of commentary on the stories, the dude, and his beliefs, and in my experience both the Cthulhu mythos superfans and the "he was total poo poo" crowd are not super familiar with his entire body of work.

(He was racist and his prose is too purple tho it's truee)
I got a copy of his complete works and read about a third of it, but he gets really repetitive and it just starts to blur together after a while. Some of his ideas are pretty good, but he clearly didn't have that many of them and he milked them for more than they were worth.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
My only caveat would be that, if for some reason the rules change, that is something that needs to be pretty explicitly laid out and the reasons need to make sense.

I don't have a good example at hand for that.

I guess if your monster can suddenly attack during the day, you need to clearly lay out why it can when it couldn't before.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
One of the things I appreciate about Alien is that it doesn't need to gently caress with exposition at all. No one needs to ask what the xenomorph's motivations are because it's pretty obviously 'eat, poo poo, reproduce'
Of course then people had to go and retcon some grand space opera into it

doverhog posted:

The Music of Erich Zann

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

Dagon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

I got a copy of his complete works and read about a third of it, but he gets really repetitive and it just starts to blur together after a while. Some of his ideas are pretty good, but he clearly didn't have that many of them and he milked them for more than they were worth.

True, there's no real reason to read anything but the greatest hits unless you're a superfan.

The Temple, The Outsider, The Festival, The Picture in the House, At the Mountains of Madness.

ATMOM is especially cute for two reasons, one is how the protagonist comes around to the clearly sentient Elder Things and goes "They, too, were men." Nice change from his older stuff. Secondly the bizarre cliche where four of the dudes on the expedition have not only read the necronomicon but are intimately familiar with it. It makes sense when his protagonist is some folklorist or something but in this case it's a geologist, a biologist, an engineer, and a geology grad student.

Also I love Dream Quest of unknown Kadath, it's just so loving nonsensical and absurd it left an impression on me, and it's a very high fantasy take on some weird Lovecraftian poo poo instead of the usual horror. Especially the cat city on the moon and the part where he translates between cats and "the fluttering sounds" of the zoogs. Just imagine this mustachio'd Boston socialite intermittently meowing, screeching, hissing, and chirping while surrounded by fuzzy animals.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Speaking of horror movies, my PHUO is that Cabin in the Woods was a bad movie. The deconstruction of the theme seemed like low hanging fruit and the plot twist was ridiculous and way over the top. And just for the record, I usually like Whedon's stuff.

I think Tucker and Dale vs Evil or Get Out are similar but better movies.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

At the Mountains of Madness is overly long IMO, the shorter stuff is better.

It's true it gets repetitive. Read his stuff in various collections at first, much of it translated in Finnish, and then bought the omnibus (1500~ pages). Couldn't get through it. Nice to have around thought to revisit stuff, or read a story sometimes.

Cabin in the Woods was ok at best.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Some of his ideas are pretty good, but he clearly didn't have that many of them and he milked them for more than they were worth.

More like he milked them for less than they were worth

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The movie adaptation of beyond the veil of sleep was a train wreck and should be watched by anyone who hates themselves

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'll be sure to check it out

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Don't

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I think every person is somewhere on the autisim spectrum.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

My PHUO is kinda tangential to that; horror movie monsters need rules. Defined abilities, goals, a way to defeat it.

When it's a paranormal Incident type monster, that sucks. It's a demon. What can it do? I dunno, anything. What does it want? To gently caress with people for a while and then kill them at the end of the movie for some reason. Can it be defeated? lol no. That's boring. There's no tension. The monster is going to gently caress with the characters for no reason and then kill them. If it's end goal is kill them, why not do that at the beginning? If there's no way to beat it, why do I care about the character's struggle?

I understand where your coming from but I've only ever been scared by the invisible undefined monsters and whenever it's given limits or definition it stops scaring me, which is a bummer since so few horror movies make paranormal activity style monsters. That's my unpopular opinion, there should be more movies like Paranormal Activity 1 where less is more.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

We Know Catheters posted:

I think every person is somewhere on the autisim spectrum.

I mean 0 autism is on the spectrum so yah?

Also pointing this out probably makes me at least a 5.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

For me there is no such thing as over-explaining a monster, and I think that's the unpopular opinion. If my ghost story ends with the biography of the ghost in question, an essay on the metaphysics of ghosts, and an explanation of what this specific ghost was trying to accomplish, I'm fine with that.

It doesn't all need to be explicit, because in many cases the protagonists won't know either. But in principle, I should get the impression that there is an explanation for what is going on, even if it's not explicit.

I think Stranger Things did this well, where we don't really know what the monster is and what it's rules are, but the way it interacts with the human world seems well defined. On the other hand, that series where the dead people come back to life in some French town doesn't explain anything, and it's unsatisfying.

The Stephen King novels are a different example, because he does always explain stuff at the end, but most of the time the explanation is kind of ridiculous. On the other hand, the Lovecraft maggot people story mentioned above does it right: there's a strange premise, a growing sense of unease, and finally a reveal that explains exactly what is going on, but that is terrifying in itself.

I like Lovecraft, though it is irritating how certain kinds of people, including all non-white and especially mixed-race people, are presented as almost as inherently creepy as the monsters themselves. Even the most enthusiastic racists wouldn't write it like that today. Except for inbred redneck town and mayyybe black swamp town, those still show up in contemporary fiction.

pidan has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Aug 19, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not actually sure how unpopular this opinion is, but capacitive buttons are straight up the worst commonplace invention I have seen in my life time and the fact that stupid manufacturers actually still put them on things in a sad attempt to look high tech is annoying as gently caress.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not actually sure how unpopular this opinion is, but capacitive buttons are straight up the worst commonplace invention I have seen in my life time and the fact that stupid manufacturers actually still put them on things in a sad attempt to look high tech is annoying as gently caress.

I miss actual, mechanical buttons on things. I miss the feedback they gave, now that everything is moving toward touchscreens.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I miss actual, mechanical buttons on things. I miss the feedback they gave, now that everything is moving toward touchscreens.

Same. I wish I could get a phone that has buttons and the same functionality that my phone has now (without being a blackberry). Flip phones need to make a comeback.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think that people should activate their turn signals before they start slowing down for a turn.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

doverhog posted:

The nethermost caverns...are not for the fathoming of eyes that see; for their marvels are strange and terrific. Cursed the ground where dead thoughts live new and oddly bodied, and evil the mind that is held by no head. Wisely did Ibn Schacabao say, that happy is the tomb where no wizard hath lain, and happy the town at night whose wizards are all ashes. For it is of old rumour that the soul of the devil-bought hastes not from his charnel clay, but fats and instructs the very worm that gnaws; till out of corruption horrid life springs, and the dull scavengers of earth wax crafty to vex it and swell monstrous to plague it. Great holes secretly are digged where earth's pores ought to suffice, and things have learnt to walk that ought to crawl.

The Shadow out of Time is a great little scifi story, but an abominable horror story. The "shocking reveal" of the scroll at the end is completely weightless because it's literally explained to you in intricate detail at the start, but dismissed as the rantings of a mad man.

The opening of Call of Cthulhu is pretty boss, and as pure Lovecraft as you get:

quote:

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any politician who has a cult of personality crop up around them deserves to be torn down.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have no idea what the functional difference between capacitive buttons and whatever normal touchscreen is actually called is.

Also, my possible PHUO among lovecraft readers is that I think he repented a lot of his lovely racial views later in life. He never became anything you'd call progressive but you can read the changes in his writing and some of his correspondents correlate the idea that he rethought things. You can also definitely, definitely from his stories read how he went from a clueless self-identified monarchist in the '20s to being a socialist in the '30s.

Which (also possible PHUO), is pretty normal and reasonable. Lovecraft was a weirdo but he wasn't half the shut-in he's portrayed as. He married a jewish woman and moved to NYC (and for sure the stories from his NYC period are often "FOREIGNS AND BLACKS AND STRANGERS, OH MY", but after his return to Providence he starts traveling a lot and seems to rethink his views. This is also a period where he puts on weight and generally stops being so much of a goony goon.

Lovecraft's travelogues are honestly probably his objectively best writing, although still you can see how weird he is because he spends far more time describing history and architecture than anything about people or things to do. I think his description of Québec is his single longest piece.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Agent355 posted:

I mean 0 autism is on the spectrum so yah?

Also pointing this out probably makes me at least a 5.

I went through this exact thought process but then refrained from posting it for that reason.