Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Lost Vikings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

not ... really what I was thinking. But sure, I'll give it to you

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Dungeonmans is a cool goon-made roguelike that features a persistent world and it's very good!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Same, and despite that I even had more fun on my no-typhon playthrough than on my no-human playthrough. High-jumping and sprinting may have played a big part in that

Also there is just something so satisfying about jumping over a phantom delivering a flying close-range shotgun to the face.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

double nine posted:

are there indie or simply other roguelike titles similar to mooncrash? where you go through the same set of levels with multiple characters and character one can pave the way for subsequent characters?

Check out Below.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Same, and despite that I even had more fun on my no-typhon playthrough than on my no-human playthrough. High-jumping and sprinting may have played a big part in that

Not really surprising, since no-human means you miss out on all the inventory upgrades, most of the mobility upgrades, and all the psi upgrades that let you actually use those cool typhon powers.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

texting my ex posted:

Mooncrash was fun until the point where I realized I could build the time reset thingies. Lost all drive to play after that, was too easy

Is the PSVR thingie multiplayer only?

The VR thing is a room escape puzzle, and it's single player VR only. I'm actually slightly mad about it because I love room escape games but have no interest in VR (and it was part of what convinced me to buy mooncrash in the first place).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
does the nightmare stop dropping exotic materials after n-kills? the last one i killed wasn't even searchable.

i'm guessing your typhon level affects human disposition towards you? at one point i noticed all the people knocked out on crew quarters turned from green to red.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Rinkles posted:

i'm guessing your typhon level affects human disposition towards you? at one point i noticed all the people knocked out on crew quarters turned from green to red.

No, humans can't detect typhon level like turrets, but they will turn hostile if they see you do space magic

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I'm gonna try getting into this again after putting down about 2 hours in last time. There's got to be something in it for it to be so popular, and I usually love these sorts of games. The apparently limited enemy and weapon types put be off last time. Maybe I need to pay more attention to the setting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

then I don't know what triggered it. everyone was long down at that point.

e:maybe me killing luka? but like i said, the people were all unconscious.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I'm gonna try getting into this again after putting down about 2 hours in last time. There's got to be something in it for it to be so popular, and I usually love these sorts of games. The apparently limited enemy and weapon types put be off last time. Maybe I need to pay more attention to the setting.

It took me 2 tries to actually get into this game and I just beat it yesterday and can't wait to do another playthrough/explore Mooncrash. Some general advice I found useful for my first run through:

-Get inventory/recycling/hacking 1-2 skills first
-Get Combat Focus next and, if you're doing a typhon run, get Psychoshock 1. The combo of sneak attack>Phsychoshock>Combat Focus>Shotgun is amazing and makes combat a lot easier.
-Use your wrench for the all combat encounters for the first 2-3 hours at least. If you hold down the attack button you charge up and will hit extra hard and stun the enemies. Sneak Attack and Pulverize are good first investments as well.
-Explore every area. When you get dropped into an area you can either go straight to your objective or explore and try to gain access to locked offices and safes. Collect everything and don't be afraid to use your recycle charges, by the end of the game I had like 50 of them.

The side missions in the game are really compelling and the overall story that is presented in emails and logs is really great world building. If Combat is getting in your way then just move the difficulty down.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It also took me like 2-3 tries to really get into the game, but once it got me I was hooked. I think it was mainly that the difficulty can be fairly brutal if you don't spec properly with a plan.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's the greatest game ever made.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

I really like Resident Evil 4 though....

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Rinkles posted:

Yep. Best in years and everyone’s playing Call of gently caress Duty.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You can say gently caress

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't know if that's being cute or ironic but if not, "gently caress" is what gently caress gets filtered to when you're not logged in and no one actually says "gently caress" on purpose

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rinkles posted:

That's Chrono Trigger actually. Prey is pretty darn good though

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Remember when the lp forum was the only place to read Dangan Ronpa and people seriously thought gently caress was a thing

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bogart posted:

Remember when the lp forum was the only place to read Dangan Ronpa and people seriously thought gently caress was a thing

no. get out of here you old fart.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My favourite thing to come of that was the guy who cosplayed at a convention as the "log in to continue" page

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

no. get out of here you old fart.

F*cking millennials...

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

With a 2012 regdate I'm going to guess it was intentional

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bogart posted:

No

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's Chrono Trigger actually

No!!!!!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I gently caress my wife every night before she goes to sleep because she's very dear to me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's a sears catalog

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
How many Typhon powers are you allowed to have before turrets start aggroing you? I've only picked up turn-into-coffee-cup so far to get into locked areas, but I got like 50 psi hypos kickin around it'd be cool to make use of.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think it's 2-3. The turrets will change what they say when you're about to go over the limit, I think

But really you just shouldn't worry about it, turrets are kind of weak and a mild nuisance at worst, go hog wild

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Eschatos posted:

How many Typhon powers are you allowed to have before turrets start aggroing you? I've only picked up turn-into-coffee-cup so far to get into locked areas, but I got like 50 psi hypos kickin around it'd be cool to make use of.

If you want to be using "psi powers", the time-slowy tech from the human side works well also. It's also madly OP when maxed, so beware.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eschatos posted:

About 2 or three active powers? But don't worry too much about it, because turrets are very fragile and odds are as the game progresses, unless you repair them regularly, they get broke fast by respawning typhon.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Unfortunately, my dream of creating a perfect Typhon-murder zone in the lobby was crushed when I realized 1) physics reload strangely sometimes, knocking my carefully placed gloo-platform turrets off and 2) the typhon can shoot their displacement attacks from pretty far away.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Same. Really the turrets are mild annoyances to both you once you are full of Typhon juice and to the Typhon themselves.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Twobirds posted:

Same. Really the turrets are mild annoyances to both you once you are full of Typhon juice and to the Typhon themselves.

It's also really cheap to get the turret-control Typhon ability too. And turrets you create are friendly to you regardless of your Typhon-ness

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm kind of sad that turrets are so useless both as tools and as hazards once you're out of the early game. They can handle a few mimics if pointed in the right direction and that's about it.

SS2's turrets were beefy as hell and came in laser and rocket variants, and I feel like something like that would make them both more useful as tools in the late game and much more significant as hazards if you're playing a typhon-heavy build (or facing down a Technopath).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
SS2's turrets where even less useful as player aids, as they'd not defend themselves unless you where in the same room. So a respawning enemy whould autokill them all =[

But as threats, yea, they could be nasty.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How I stopped worrying and learned to love Typhon Powers

For real, their abilities are seriously powerful, puny turrets should not be the deciding factor. I'd recommend just picking whatever catches your eye. A lot of the Typhon powers are more interesting and cool than the human ones.

I also was avoided them my first time through, which was kinda dumb because I effectively ignored half of the available abilities.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Anybody remember when Prey (2017), the greatest video game of all time, was released in May of 2017? Those were good times. I miss those times.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Remember when they called System Shock 3 “Prey” (2017)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Remember when it bombed?