Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

d00d I can't believe CCP would just give away a free week of shooting at eve university in a rail proteus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
gently caress I didn’t know isoniazid was an antibiotic

I have been hoisted with my own petard

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Watch me fumble with 12 modules, not know how XLASB reload behavior works, tank a fuckton in a Praxis, and watch us make poor targeting decisions like stay on a brick tank Typhoon instead of killing the tasty vulnerable Drekavac. Nothing much interesting happens after the Paladin, we just get mopped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1Yv2jytgYM

I like the little career reward I got for 'congratulations, you have tried out neuting'

Elukka fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 27, 2023

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/14l11zi/item_dupe_glitch_being_actively_abused/

:munch:

I bought 2 of these when it was just a few on market at that price, lets see how quick CCP reverse it.

Edit: lmao

"After investigation we have confirmed these items were provided by mistake by a Game Master as part of a reimbursement and not through any item duplication. The items have changed hands several times since the reimbursement. We are removing the items from the game and refunding any ISK used to purchase them." - CCP Arcade.

madjack fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 28, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
what kind of a loving moron would list 922 of them and think it wouldn't set off alarm bells

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
The initial run was about 40 or so, which is extremely out there for an officer mod but not implausibly so, and those got bought up very fast.

Then 300 appeared and the red flags started going up.

Some people bought those THEN the 900+ were listed.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
There's a wrecked keepstar memorial in Perimeter where the TTT once stood

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I haven't played in years - but I remember loling at the 20$ monthly price tag.

Anything come out in even an attempt to justify the price hike?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

“Inflation”

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Thunder Moose posted:

keepstars can be pink now

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I have four accounts and somehow only pay the pre-hike price on all of them :shrug:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

BigPaddy posted:

“Inflation”
I mean... yeah, though. $20 now is almost exactly inflation-corrected to the $15 sub in 2009. If it was $15 in 2003 too, it's almost certainly cheaper now than then relative to everything else.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Thunder Moose posted:

I haven't played in years - but I remember loling at the 20$ monthly price tag.

You can be a goose and honk in wormholes

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Fajita Queen posted:

You can be a goose and honk in wormholes

this game would be better if this was not a metaphor

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elukka posted:

I mean... yeah, though. $20 now is almost exactly inflation-corrected to the $15 sub in 2009. If it was $15 in 2003 too, it's almost certainly cheaper now than then relative to everything else.

but other MMOs did not hike their prices so the value proposition shifts negatively when it comes to what you get for your money.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

orange juche posted:

but other MMOs did not hike their prices so the value proposition shifts negatively when it comes to what you get for your money.
That's a good point, I just literally haven't thought about MMOs in general for like 15 years.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

But you can play for free*

* a tiny subset of the game that has been further restricted over time

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

BigPaddy posted:

But you can play for free*

* a tiny subset of the game that has been further restricted over time
Further restricted? Originally it was, going from memory here, T1 ships up to cruisers of your starting faction, with T1 modules only. Gradually they expanded it and now it's all T1 ships up to battleships, including faction ships, and most T2 modules including weapons. I wouldn't call it a tiny subset either.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

the 5m sp learning cap is really the most onerous remaining restriction

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hailthefish posted:

Bringing that up to 10m would do wonders for the alpha clone limit, but CCP is a bunch of insane drunken icelandics thinking it's 2006 sooooo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

hailthefish posted:

Yeah I was hoping that I could keep cruising on my character after my 8 day omega trial expired but I logged in just to find that skill learning just got switched off entirely. Between that and not being able to use some higher level skills it's a pretty hard limit.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Pretty sure other things have been taken away over time. Some make sense like PI and advanced industry stuff but then it means alpha accounts are really for missions, ratting and pvp which leaves a decent chunk of the game out of reach.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BigPaddy posted:

but then it means alpha accounts are really for missions, ratting and pvp

Don’t forget home defense!

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
individual alphas are certainly neutered, but get a couple dozen people to roll alpha accounts with a simple doctrine + focused skill plan and you’ve got ingredients for a fun time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Pretty sure other things have been taken away over time. Some make sense like PI and advanced industry stuff but then it means alpha accounts are really for missions, ratting and pvp which leaves a decent chunk of the game out of reach.

some people run omega, get all the PI skills they need, set their planets to really long run times, go alpha then buy the weekend plex pack to go omega when the runs are over, pick it up and reset the extractors

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah I was hoping that I could keep cruising on my character after my 8 day omega trial expired but I logged in just to find that skill learning just got switched off entirely. Between that and not being able to use some higher level skills it's a pretty hard limit.
It's worth noting that if you acquire skill points through other means, you can get up to 20.5 mil. You can get 50k skillpoints for about 50 mil with alpha injectors. You also retain Omega-trained skills up to that cap if you go back to alpha.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Elukka posted:

It's worth noting that if you acquire skill points through other means, you can get up to 20.5 mil. You can get 50k skillpoints for about 50 mil with alpha injectors. You also retain Omega-trained skills up to that cap if you go back to alpha.

I thought omega-only skills couldn’t be used in the Alpha state. Like Mining Frigate V would drop back to IV and you couldn’t fly a Prospect or like any Assault Frigates because your racial frigate skill(s) dropped back to IV etc.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

You retain the skills but you can use skills over the 5m cap. So you can train all the alpha skills which is what 15m sp and go to alpha and you have all the skills.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah. Alpha is definitely a 'better deal' for retvets who already have a char with a wide variety of stuff trained and they're only limited by the skills you just can't use as an alpha, for newly created characters you have to follow an extremely tightly focused skill plan to get something useful out of 5m sp. Or you have to pay to exceed it in one way or another.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

DerekSmartymans posted:

I thought omega-only skills couldn’t be used in the Alpha state. Like Mining Frigate V would drop back to IV and you couldn’t fly a Prospect or like any Assault Frigates because your racial frigate skill(s) dropped back to IV etc.
Oh yeah that's true. You don't get to use Omega-only skills, but you do get to use skills above the 5 mil cap (up to 20.5 mil) that was trained under Omega.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Elukka posted:

Oh yeah that's true. You don't get to use Omega-only skills, but you do get to use skills above the 5 mil cap (up to 20.5 mil) that was trained under Omega.

Ok, that’s what I was asking. I knew the skillpoint cap for an Alpha was 20.5M, but thought that the caveat was even if you trained, for example, Caldari Frigate to V as an Omega (and therefore qualified for all the stuff like Interceptors/Logi Frigates/EWar/etc), that the maximum effective skill for an Alpha clone would be Caldari Frigate IV and no ability to fly Tech II frigates at all while in the Alpha state would be permitted.

I have a current Omega Clone that is my home defense “Alpha,” that has ~14M SP right now and his skill plan is set to pick up every single Alpha-allowed skill. Once he learns them all, I’ll let him lapse to Alpha permanently. It’s just a lark, proof-of-concept type thing, but now I’m curious as to how it plays once he reverts state!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

Ok, that’s what I was asking. I knew the skillpoint cap for an Alpha was 20.5M, but thought that the caveat was even if you trained, for example, Caldari Frigate to V as an Omega (and therefore qualified for all the stuff like Interceptors/Logi Frigates/EWar/etc), that the maximum effective skill for an Alpha clone would be Caldari Frigate IV and no ability to fly Tech II frigates at all while in the Alpha state would be permitted.

Yeah. There's two separate restrictions, the 5m sp training limit, and the omega-only skills. If a character gets skillpoints through alpha injectors or by training as omega (or regular injectors while omega), there's 20.5m worth of skills alphas are allowed to use. So you won't be able to fly t2 frigs as an alpha because while an alpha you can only use up to rank 4 in the racial frigate skills, BUT you could still theoretically fly a reasonably well fitted t1 frig of any race if you had trained every racial frigate skill while omega, where the 5m training limit forces you to pick a pretty narrow lane and stick to it.

Obviously for frigates this example kind of falls flat, but stuff t1 battlecruisers is doable in a worthwhile way if you've already got a few million more SP from being omega versus being stuck with what you can cram into 5m sp.

That said stuff like tackle and ewar is definitely where alpha alts shine but the 5m limit means you're very limited in what you pick up unless you spend some time as omega to go over that 5m skill limit.

that was a lot of repetitive stupid words trying to explain something I think everybody already understands

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

hailthefish posted:

that was a lot of repetitive stupid words trying to explain something I think everybody already understands

Yeah, that was the way I understood it from the official site, it was just someone posted something here that I (mis)interpreted as basically the opposite. I just wanted to be clear before wasting $20+ on training Omega-only skills for what is ultimately slotted as a permanent Alpha.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

It's possible to go over 5M as an Alpha with AIR rewards and dailies but it's quite slow

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012
Running T6 today and just rolled a room with 4 Thunderchildren, 2 Marshalls (arresting and draining), 1 marker cruiser, 1 marker frig, 1 arrester frig, and some other stuff that was lower priority to remember. I remained continent and made it through, but I got jitters I haven't felt in this game since about 2012.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Jeeeesus. What were you flying?

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Jeeeesus. What were you flying?

Active tanked AB gila with some abyssal mods. All-in probably a 12-15b fit incl implants that I've been gradually adding to for about 18 months (second time in this process, lost one to a disconnect in 2021). When I have a decent buffer of isk, I go for an incremental upgrade that seems helpful.

Immediately burned away from the gate at an angle and sent drones on the thunderchildren (they were at 52-55km, I can keep lock at 72 so couldn't get too far away). Overheated hardeners and booster, popped hardshell and bluepill (the one from the epic arc), missiles on the arrester frig then the marker once they got close enough. Turned off heat on booster when shield was above ~75% to avoid building up too much heat and turned it back on when volley hit. Probably could have been more aggressive because I finished the room with 40% damage on it but really didn't want to let it get close since this was in room 2 of 3. Stopped overheating once the third thunderchild went down and was maintaining shield above 30% at that point so didn't go back to it. I think the only thing that saved me was using mutated drones (90-percentile rolls on damage multiplier) to take down the battleships faster and reduce the incoming DPS, otherwise I'm not sure I could have kept overheating as long as I would have needed to. I was losing 25-30% of my shields at a time and was just barely getting them repped enough before the next volley hit. Was leaking armor little by little until the first 2 BS went down. If I had tried to go toward the gate even spiraling in I probably would have been blapped.

This ship is one of 4 income streams I have, so I'll be fine if I lose it, but oh boy was I happy when this wave was over.

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism
I lost a 700M isk buzzard fit with implants the other day because I warped gate to gate in some system in Eso and 15 Reeloaded guys had a myrm gatecamp (presumably for something else). Landed in a bubble with 50 drones around me and so couldn't recloak and died. My first loss in explo since November 2022 and it was because I was lazy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

GSV gently caress Your God posted:

I lost a 700M isk buzzard fit with implants the other day because I warped gate to gate in some system in Eso and 15 Reeloaded guys had a myrm gatecamp (presumably for something else). Landed in a bubble with 50 drones around me and so couldn't recloak and died. My first loss in explo since November 2022 and it was because I was lazy.

think of how many hours they wasted camping for that one kill and laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

ded posted:

think of how many hours they wasted camping for that one kill and laugh
IIRC, the gate and system were for engaging stuff coming from Feyth so probably they do this quite a bit.