Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Wow I just noticed that Urban Sprawl is twenty bucks direct from GMT Games.

It was 10 during the sale, it's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My friends are asking me for a recommendation for their (smart) 10 year old who is interested in D&D and wants a board game to get started with the narrative fantasy stuff before turning to the RPG. As far as I recall all of the fantasy adventure D&D-brand games suck rear end. Is Pathfinder Adventures any good? Will it scratch that itch?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CommonShore posted:

My friends are asking me for a recommendation for their (smart) 10 year old who is interested in D&D and wants a board game to get started with the narrative fantasy stuff before turning to the RPG. As far as I recall all of the fantasy adventure D&D-brand games suck rear end. Is Pathfinder Adventures any good? Will it scratch that itch?

No, not really. The D&D board games are fine little coop fantasy SWAT games. Mice & Mystics and Descent are also good options. The Pathfinder Adventures game is kind of just lovely imo.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Wow I just noticed that Urban Sprawl is twenty bucks direct from GMT Games.

nimby posted:

It was 10 during the sale, it's nuts.

Yeah, Urban Sprawl hasn't been one of GMT's most successful games and probably won't be reprinted ever. Oh well, I ended up buying it a couple of years ago during the last GMT sale for $20.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Here is the link that was discussing fiddly. It was in relation to Teotihuacan: Cities of Gods. The discussion actually demonstrates why I don't use fiddly as a word; Teo has a lot of little things you have to do during a turn, which I had not considered covering with the word fiddly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

S.J. posted:

No, not really. The D&D board games are fine little coop fantasy SWAT games. Mice & Mystics and Descent are also good options. The Pathfinder Adventures game is kind of just lovely imo.

What's a title of a good D&D board game, then? I haven't played anything like that in years.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

CommonShore posted:

What's a title of a good D&D board game, then? I haven't played anything like that in years.

Legend of Drizzt for mechanics and general bling, Temple of Elemental Evil for a campaign or if you absolutely must play a wizard.

Neither are good by the standards of this thread - they're super repetitive with limited choices but the components are great for the cost and they're wonderfully approachable with shitloads of plastic dudes and weird unused tiles designed for making new scenarios or playing D&D. I'd probably go with Drizzt over Temple.

I'd never recommend them to someone looking for a deep dungeon crawling game, but for a ten year old with limited exposure and interest in fantasy? Absolutely.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 27, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

CommonShore posted:

old HeroQuest was my fave along these lines but it's not like you can find it or anything.

I would question why start with a board game. 4e isn't any more mechanically complicated than any given dungeon crawly board game, has miniatures combat rules. And you can start with an pre-written adventure.

Also obligatory Gloomhaven mention (though I haven't played it)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

Here is the link that was discussing fiddly. It was in relation to Teotihuacan: Cities of Gods. The discussion actually demonstrates why I don't use fiddly as a word; Teo has a lot of little things you have to do during a turn, which I had not considered covering with the word fiddly.

Speaking of, does the game come with a set of tech tiles for everyone to have in front of them as a reminder? It seems like it doesn’t and I assume someone will make a player aid where you can circle the tiles you have sooner or later. Shame for the lack of tiles if so since that’s easily a missed thing. And even if it did, there’s still the problem of remembering which action goes to which tile since the numbers look small and in the corners of each area. I’m still looking forward to my preorder and I saw it was very procedural from the start but it’s nice to read more reviews and issues with it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It basically could use the simple script that the dev posted at the bottom of that thread. I may make one in fact, just text as I have zero art/design skillz.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So, for anyone that has played both Brass Brum and the original (even with the slightly modified rules for Lancashire reprint), is there any reason why you would play the original over Birmingham? The more I play Birmingham, the more it seems to me that it's a more polished, thoughtful and diverse game, to the extent that it has made the original almost redundant in my opinion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tekopo posted:

So, for anyone that has played both Brass Brum and the original (even with the slightly modified rules for Lancashire reprint), is there any reason why you would play the original over Birmingham? The more I play Birmingham, the more it seems to me that it's a more polished, thoughtful and diverse game, to the extent that it has made the original almost redundant in my opinion.

I'm selling both the original and Lancashire. Birmingham is the only game I'd want to play now, it's just that much better. I was a real Brass fan as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mayveena posted:

I'm selling both the original and Lancashire. Birmingham is the only game I'd want to play now, it's just that much better. I was a real Brass fan as well.
Yeah, I think I'm going to be in the same boat because I just don't see any reason to really hold on to Lancashire apart from sentimental value. The list of improvements is just too great: better diversity in terms of map layout due to market distribution, no "start of rail era" rush, more diversity in build orders/development, no random factor from the outside market, more meaningful income track, while still having all of the fundamentals that made the original great.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Anyone backing City of the Big Shoulders?

18xx + worker placement sounds neat but I'm wondering how dynamic the stock portion of the game can actually be in that environment and if I want to play an economic snowball 18xx, 1846 already exists.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to be in the same boat because I just don't see any reason to really hold on to Lancashire apart from sentimental value. The list of improvements is just too great: better diversity in terms of map layout due to market distribution, no "start of rail era" rush, more diversity in build orders/development, no random factor from the outside market, more meaningful income track, while still having all of the fundamentals that made the original great.

I've never played Lancs, but some of the rules tweaks for Brum are obvious improvements, such as all loans being for 30, and the way you acquire wild cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

Anyone backing City of the Big Shoulders?

18xx + worker placement sounds neat but I'm wondering how dynamic the stock portion of the game can actually be in that environment and if I want to play an economic snowball 18xx, 1846 already exists.

I’m backing the PNP for now and might upgrade to the $60 tier. There are much more dynamic stock games of xx like the 1830/89 line of games. 1846 stock price is pretty rigid. I’ll have to reread the rulebook but iirc you can’t attack the stock price as much as those.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

I’m backing the PNP for now and might upgrade to the $60 tier. There are much more dynamic stock games of xx like the 1830/89 line of games. 1846 stock price is pretty rigid. I’ll have to reread the rulebook but iirc you can’t attack the stock price as much as those.

Right, that's what I said. 1846 is already a great rigid stock game, and this looks similar.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Whoa, I really gotta crack Birmingham then.

Got to learn and play Welcome to Centerville the other night. Really cute game that I think if it was priced better, marketed properly, and maybe had some slightly better components, could have become a hit city-building game. Without going too much into the nitty-gritty it's basically Roll for Urban Sprawl. That isn't to say there isn't strategy to it but you can really do whatever you like in the game because there are so many different paths to victory. Every turn you get to roll a bunch of lovely, oversized d6s with different symbols on them that the more you get of them, the better the action you can do. You're typically allowed to re-roll them up to 3 times, and can keep/re-roll as you please.

It also does something I like that I wish more games did in certain ways, which is you've got two victory point markers that move separately depending on which things you score. BUT at the end of the game you only get the VPs for your lowest track, so you can't just go hogwild with one and neglect the other.

I walked away really happy with it and it played lightning fast... minus the fact that the 2p version supposedly requires a bot that added some unnecessary and game slowing portions even though the bot rules are very easy to follow. I still enjoyed myself and maybe with repeat plays the bot would become second nature or you could even just ditch it, but in general I really liked it and could see the 3-4p being a really nasty little cuthroat game depending on how people spend their actions. It's a shame that I think one of GMT's more accessible and broader titles is probably going to end up ignored (unless I'm in my bubble and just haven't heard how it's tearing things up right now).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Legend of Drizzt for mechanics and general bling, Temple of Elemental Evil for a campaign or if you absolutely must play a wizard.

Neither are good by the standards of this thread - they're super repetitive with limited choices but the components are great for the cost and they're wonderfully approachable with shitloads of plastic dudes and weird unused tiles designed for making new scenarios or playing D&D. I'd probably go with Drizzt over Temple.

I'd never recommend them to someone looking for a deep dungeon crawling game, but for a ten year old with limited exposure and interest in fantasy? Absolutely.

SoftNum posted:

old HeroQuest was my fave along these lines but it's not like you can find it or anything.

I would question why start with a board game. 4e isn't any more mechanically complicated than any given dungeon crawly board game, has miniatures combat rules. And you can start with an pre-written adventure.

Also obligatory Gloomhaven mention (though I haven't played it)

Thanks! I'll pass this along. I know 100% that Gloomhaven is too much, and that HeroQuest isn't as good as nostalgia would have you believe.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Q.E. KS is up https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1296268806/qe-an-auction-board-game-with-unlimited-money?ref=bggforums

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

There is a reasonable arguement that the first time someone betrays you in a diplomacy game you should throw the rest of the game and just 100% focus on taking them out so in the future people are less likely to betray you.

Works best if you play with the same people.

I was playing TI and was a warrior culture, so I decided to role play the faction and warned all the other players that if they ever attacked me it would be a blight on my honour and I would retaliate with everything I had. The first few rounds were peaceful, but eventually another player killed a scout that was in his way so I sent my War Suns after him and played a side-game of mutually assured destruction. The whole time he protested that I wouldn't win the game if I kept attacking him. I reminded him about my warning and said "For honour!" every time I attacked him. The other two players loved it and one of them went on to win. Sometimes VPs aren't the only way to win a game, sometimes it's having the most fun. (I warned you Dane :glomp: )

SuperKlaus posted:

Thanks for the thoughts on Pantone (and Root, and others). I'd like to hear more about Pantone because of a graphic designer friend who likes the theme.

I played in the game referenced on SVWAG; Mark was correct. The clues are terrible and the characters are not always great. I got "The Shark" from Jaws. Not "A Shark" not "Shark", "THE Shark".

The game is fun in theory, but I immediately grabbed paint chips from my local DIY store to use as the cards. And in future would let players pick their own character and I would suggest a generic set of clues like

Real or fictional?
What media are they from? TV, Film, Comics, Book, Commercials, etc.
Define a single character trait.

In our game, the fact that Snape had the clue of "Spy" was terrible. In the end of the series he was found to be a double agent, but that is not a major character defining attribute of Snape.

I might also consider playing the game using concept cards for the source of the character, thing, or place. Though doing phrases might be too ambitious.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 27, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

CaptainRightful posted:

I've never played Lancs, but some of the rules tweaks for Brum are obvious improvements, such as all loans being for 30, and the way you acquire wild cards.
Yeah, removing the trap of ever getting a loan for less than 30 and the fact that the wild cards feel less like a completely lost turn is also good. Especially the latter, because it basically saves you from wasting a further action in the future as well, with some limitations.

I haven't really played Brum enough to really be sure, but manufacturing/cotton seem to be balanced against each other in terms of points, most pointedly because some of the manufacturing spaces don't require beer, which is both a boon and a negative (and that distinction even by itself makes the game more interesting imo). The only thing I'm not sure of is Pottery: when I played the classic game, building boats was something that no one really aimed because it was considered a trap choice and not worth the money that you needed to spend in order to make the strategy worth it, when it was much easier to just build cotton. I'm kind of worried that pottery is in the same boat, but the way that it develops is a bit more interesting, especially with the "reserve a space" way that you can use the crappy, develop-able pottery tiles. I need to try a pottery strategy, but largely I see it as a way to supplement other strategies.

I've also seen a beer baron strategy work surprisingly well, and I think beer baron + rail magnate combos might actually be worth quite a lot of points, especially because beer tiles gives a good amount of income AND VPs. That's why I'm excited about Brum, it just opens up the strats rather than the standard cotton -> start of rail era race -> selling more cotton.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there any game that’s hot and just been released/exclusive that would be available at pax unplugged? Friend is going and asked. I have Teotihuacan, Stephenson’s rocket, and Arboretum deluxe already preordered.

That’s a pretty good price. Loses out on the wood bits but the original looked pretty bad graphically.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there any game that’s hot and just been released/exclusive that would be available at pax unplugged? Friend is going and asked. I have Teotihuacan, Stephenson’s rocket, and Arboretum deluxe already preordered.

Newton, maybe? And if you can get Smartphone Inc then absolutely do so. Apart from that I mostly avoided the hype games this year, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Q.E. doesn't have nearly enough of a snarky tone for how dirty the theme is :colbert:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

When it was initially announced in this thread/Discord, I looked it up and didn't see what the fuss was. With the improved components and graphical scheme, this looks really cool, but I still have reservations about the meta.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I was playing TI and was a warrior culture, so I decided to role play the faction and warned all the other players that if they ever attacked me it would be a blight on my honour and I would retaliate with everything I had. The first few rounds were peaceful, but eventually another player killed a scout that was in his way so I sent my War Suns after him and played a side-game of mutually assured destruction. The whole time he protested that I wouldn't win the game if I kept attacking him. I reminded him about my warning and said "For honour!" every time I attacked him. The other two players loved it and one of them went on to win. Sometimes VPs aren't the only way to win a game, sometimes it's having the most fun. (I warned you Dane :glomp: )

While I can appreciate your point of view that the point playing games is to have fun, if you're not going to play to win and are just going to tank your own chances of winning and those of another player, I'd not invite you back for a next game of TI.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I like the original QE components over the new style, this just looks like a generic Euro now. That said, it's pretty much in party game territory for me, having played it a few times.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

taser rates posted:

I like the original QE components over the new style, this just looks like a generic Euro now. That said, it's pretty much in party game territory for me, having played it a few times.
How does the meta shake out most of the times? Like the KS says they've had games where the winning bid was 10 quadrillion but don't you just auto-lose if you win a bid that big?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My Christmas haul is Nemo's War, Spell Smashers and Sakura Arms. Praise be to omnigaming.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Tekopo posted:

How does the meta shake out most of the times? Like the KS says they've had games where the winning bid was 10 quadrillion but don't you just auto-lose if you win a bid that big?

But you're winning the company chips. Others need them too, so they have to start going in on gonzo bids too to get them, so they can beat the others. One person might be nuking themselves with ridiculous bids, but it forces everyone else to also follow suit so they can actually get points.

I figure. Haven't played it, just thinking about it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ravendas posted:

But you're winning the company chips. Others need them too, so they have to start going in on gonzo bids too to get them, so they can beat the others. One person might be nuking themselves with ridiculous bids, but it forces everyone else to also follow suit so they can actually get points.

I figure. Haven't played it, just thinking about it.
I missed the part in the rules where the bids are actually kept hidden after the win (although I guess the auctioneer can tell everyone else what the winning bid was, but then he could be lying). I'm interested in trying it if nothing else.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I missed the part in the rules where the bids are actually kept hidden after the win (although I guess the auctioneer can tell everyone else what the winning bid was, but then he could be lying). I'm interested in trying it if nothing else.

It seems like it would be easy enough to PBP if we had enough people interested.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

It seems like it would be easy enough to PBP if we had enough people interested.
If we can find a source for all the company tiles, it shouldn't be too hard.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

nimby posted:

While I can appreciate your point of view that the point playing games is to have fun, if you're not going to play to win and are just going to tank your own chances of winning and those of another player, I'd not invite you back for a next game of TI.

That was kind of the plan. I discovered I really didn't like TI. :D

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
is cole werle or one of the eklunds doing pax unplugged?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Shadow225 posted:

When it was initially announced in this thread/Discord, I looked it up and didn't see what the fuss was. With the improved components and graphical scheme, this looks really cool, but I still have reservations about the meta.

I feel the same way, although bids not being public I think is encouraging.

I kind of fear that unless you're playing with capital-G gamers, anyone who isn't really grasping what's going on is going to bid a hillion jillion dollars for the lulz, shrug as they get 0 VP as a result, and then whelp.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PlaneGuy posted:

is cole werle or one of the eklunds doing pax unplugged?

Leader Games is going to be there, not sure about Cole specifically.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Leader Games is going to be there, not sure about Cole specifically.
:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

The Eyes Have It posted:

I feel the same way, although bids not being public I think is encouraging.

I kind of fear that unless you're playing with capital-G gamers, anyone who isn't really grasping what's going on is going to bid a hillion jillion dollars for the lulz, shrug as they get 0 VP as a result, and then whelp.

Like others said, bids are mostly hidden, so it typically turns into a game of chicken set by whoever makes the first high bid. The game has a cute concept but I don't have much interest in playing it except like one in a while as a filler maybe.