Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serdain
Aug 13, 2007
dicksdicksdicks

Booley posted:

Yes. In the matched play rules.

Can you point me to where? Goonhammer (https://www.goonhammer.com/warhammer-community-9th-edition-transcript-notes-morale-and-reserves/) says that you aren't allowed strategic reserves on turn 1 but it also says

Goonhammer posted:

"units that can teleport, tunnel, infiltrate, or otherwise deep strike can just do their regular thing – they aren’t affected by these rules"

e: I realise now that the intro mission isn't matched play it's 'ONLY WAR', so deep strike turn 1 is legal and encouraged. My Seraphim are delighted.

Serdain fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Did GW move away from resin models? Last time I was dabbling with hobbystuff they had a resin line, I think called Finecast, and I did not care for them that much.

Yes, thank god.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanqol posted:

Yes, thank god.

Great, good to know. I didn't really care for it at all. Is everything they make plastic now, or do they still do metal?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Serdain posted:

Can you point me to where? Goonhammer (https://www.goonhammer.com/warhammer-community-9th-edition-transcript-notes-morale-and-reserves/) says that you aren't allowed strategic reserves on turn 1 but it also says

e: I realise now that the intro mission isn't matched play it's 'ONLY WAR', so deep strike turn 1 is legal and encouraged. My Seraphim are delighted.

Yeah, you can do whatever in only war missions, but its limited in Eternal War (matched play) missions. That section isn't included in the free core rules.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Great, good to know. I didn't really care for it at all. Is everything they make plastic now, or do they still do metal?

They do not do metal and still do a few models, mainly old characters, in finecast. They don't release new core units in finecast, but do use it occasionally for things like a Black Library special.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

^burtle posted:

Do they charge up front for the Indomitous box or is it a bill when they ship like Amazon?

Unrelated: What do you guys consider the must have paints to be?

German Grey from Vallejo is basically 50/50 Abbadon Black and Mechanicus Grey. Its great for painting guns and the under armor bits of space marines because you wash it with black and it naturally creates a subtle highlight with “needing” to edge highlight.

Black Templar contrast paint is amazing, too. Covers better than Abaddon Black. Going to try it on my next marine squad’s panel lines because supposedly it works better than nuln oil. Other contrasts are hit and miss, but that one rocks. Also Blood Angels Red and Akelean Green (I think it’s that one. It’s which ever one looks perfect for Alpha Legion) look awesome so if you’re painting bright red or greenish-blue, they’re worth it, just watch some videos on how to use it as it’s not exactly what you expect.

Also totally get a wet pallet. Army Painter makes for for about $25. I just got t recently and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a dry pallet. Californian summer is incredibly dry and my paints used to dry out on the pallet in 10-15 minutes if I was lucky. I have left over paint on my wet pallet that’s still damp days later.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Just ordered the Army Painter wet palette as recommended above. I have really been enjoying the GW sheet ones, but I am intrigued by the idea of a wet one.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Booley posted:

They do not do metal and still do a few models, mainly old characters, in finecast. They don't release new core units in finecast, but do use it occasionally for things like a Black Library special.

There are a couple characters that don't even have enough demand that the spin-cast metal molds have worn out yet and are still offered in metal on the GW site.

My favorite is the Kroot Shaper, which is so old that it still comes in metal with a random weapon choice between Kroot Rifle and Pulse Rifle. :allears:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Strobe posted:

My favorite is the Kroot Shaper, which is so old that it still comes in metal with a random weapon choice between Kroot Rifle and Pulse Rifle. :allears:

Those were the days... when you just ordered a 'Cadian Special Weapon Gunner' and hoped you got a plasma gun.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

I think I also need to finally give in and buy some Bullgryns, I know they were awesome in 8th but I think if I want to stand a chance of winning in 9th I need a unit that can sit on objectives and not die to shooting or close combat, as you can't just launch Guardsmen up the board at the last minute.

I am wondering if I can do that with Sentinels, as now they can run into things and shoot heavy flamers at them.

oops, double post.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

^burtle posted:

Do they charge up front for the Indomitous box or is it a bill when they ship like Amazon?

Unrelated: What do you guys consider the must have paints to be?

Mephiston Red, Blood for the Blood God, Praxeti White, Nuln Oil,

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Crossposting from the painting thread. I finished the last model at last from the start collecting box I got last year to celebrate a new job I was starting. Which I was promptly sacked from in 3 days because the manager was a conservative pearl clutching weirdo.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Crossposting from the painting thread. I finished the last model at last from the start collecting box I got last year to celebrate a new job I was starting. Which I was promptly sacked from in 3 days because the manager was a conservative pearl clutching weirdo.

That looks really nice! It is very vibrant.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Kitchner posted:

Yeah I said earlier I have my doubts about this because some of the changes I really can't see how they'd make sense without something super radical. The example I used is why does a grenade launcher cost the same as a plasma gun for a guardsman? A grenade launcher just objectively isn't worth, even if it does have the blast for the frag grenade. I'm also not convinced as to how a Gretchin can cost the same as a Guardsman, but maybe Gretchin will get some crazy rule that boosts them.

I hope I'm wrong and there's some master stroke coming where GW has actually been working on loads of codices in secret and they will be released all together in December or something, but I'm a bit sceptical about it all.

My fear is that there was a different set of people working on points and rules, from the team that was doing 8th ed. balance changes. Like a Team A Team B situation, and Team A didn't talk to or pay attention to what the 8th ed. balance team was doing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hype as gently caress to be a necron player in a weeks time

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gonna Wait and See for what the new Codex looks like before I decide if I wanna go all in on a rip and tear Novokh list

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Other than saying buy or make a wet palette I think paints are very personal. I am one of those people that dislikes mixing paint because I want the consistency of knowing the exact colour I used on something, which means my paint collection is huge. However if you're someone who prefers mixing paint then you can get away with a lot less.

I think with the new rule about rewarding battle ready armies in matched play, the essential paints are whatever is needed to get the base colours down on your model, and a shade paint.

My guard are all black and grey so you can get away with black, grey, metal, flesh, black wash. My Grey Knights are black, dark silver, gold, blue for eyes and blades, and a blue wash (used in place of black to provide a subtle colour). Both are on grey bases, so grey is the colour I get through the most I guess as every base is dry brushed grey.

I reckon if you aim for battle ready most paint schemes only need 5 or so paints, not including a technical paint for the base.

SerCypher posted:

I am wondering if I can do that with Sentinels, as now they can run into things and shoot heavy flamers at them.

oops, double post.

I've got three (probably to be dropped to two) armoured sentinels in my crusade army. Two have autocannons and a hunter killer missile, one has a lascannon (he is the candidate to be dropped).

The things I like about them is psychic awakening added two key strats, one which is Strike First, Strike Hard which allows then to get +2 to hit on their first turn of shooting. The second is Deft Manoeuvring which let's you halve any damage inflicted to Armoured Sentinels.

From what I can tell from the rules so far ruins are obscuring which means they block line of sight unless the unit is in the terrain, in which case it can see through it. Meaning if your opponent wants to deploy something like transports aggressively or gets the first turn, you stand a real good chance of hitting them with 2+ autocannons and hunter killer missiles. Arguably scout sentinels are better for this first strike move with their free 9" move before the first turn begins (as you know who has first turn before you decide to move) but I don't own any and I like the fact you can halve incoming damage.

I don't think I'd rate them particularly as a close combat option, even an armoured sentinel with a heavy flamer and a close combat weapon is a WS 4+, S5, T6 model with 6 wounds and only one -1AP attack. Yeah three heavy flamers to someone's face will hurt, but that assumes you survive a round of combat first with all three sentinels in tact, and you could just as easily hit them with three heavy flamers if you just stay out of close combat.

I've always liked using them as something I can push up the board early (along with a hellhound) to get into the middle and provide a shooting threat while also hitting the enemy with longer range guns.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Crosspost:

Assessor of Maat posted:

Finished off Szeras.

Got things out of alignment so I couldn't use the guy getting sampled without bending things noticeably, I feel sorry for the pro painter types who will get that as a surprise ~100 hours in.

Gallery link: https://imgur.com/a/1VOXYYC

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm having some trouble interpreting the 8th/9th rules: so while it says on transports that they can take up to X models, it doesn't say anything about units. So in a 12 capacity transport can you take 2 different 5man squads combined with 2 different characters for a total of 12 models but 4 "units" ?

If so can you also only disembark a squad at a time? IE turn the transport into a bus?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm having some trouble interpreting the 8th/9th rules: so while it says on transports that they can take up to X models, it doesn't say anything about units. So in a 12 capacity transport can you take 2 different 5man squads combined with 2 different characters for a total of 12 models but 4 "units" ?

If so can you also only disembark a squad at a time? IE turn the transport into a bus?

It says models because you can take multiple units. For example, a Chimera can transport 12 models, so it can transport 10 Guardsmen, a Commissar, and a Company Commander. A Valkyrie can also transport 12 (I think) So you could take two five man squads of Scions, a Tempestor Prime, and a Primaris Psyker. The Stormsurge can carry 40 models, so it can carry 4 Infantry Squads.

In terms of disembarking, if you have the space, everyone can disembark in the same turn but you need to place them one at a time to ensure they can actually fit within the 3" bubble around the transport.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kitchner posted:

In terms of disembarking, if you have the space, everyone can disembark in the same turn but you need to place them one at a time to ensure they can actually fit within the 3" bubble around the transport.

I think in 9th they must now fit Entirely Within 3" too, right?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Sounds like GW is going to be announcing more stuff next weekend, including potentially codexes. Hope the new necron dex comes out soon.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

It says models because you can take multiple units. For example, a Chimera can transport 12 models, so it can transport 10 Guardsmen, a Commissar, and a Company Commander. A Valkyrie can also transport 12 (I think) So you could take two five man squads of Scions, a Tempestor Prime, and a Primaris Psyker. The Stormsurge can carry 40 models, so it can carry 4 Infantry Squads.

Hell yeah that's a cool change and I figured it was like that because of the change to characters.

I'm honestly just thinking of having a devilfish act as a bus and use it to drop off different squads of fire warriors (or breachers) to different objectives or drop both off at the same objective then provide LOS blocking.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Hellburger99 posted:

Black Templar contrast paint is amazing, too. Covers better than Abaddon Black. Going to try it on my next marine squad’s panel lines because supposedly it works better than nuln oil.
I wonder if they're ever going to rename the old colours that refer to WHFB. Nuln Oil and Altdorf Guard Blue and I think there's Averland Sunset as well? Kinda weird to have paints named after a setting that doesn't exist anymore.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's a decent way of keeping them in use for legal purposes. Besides, WFB is coming back under FW.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sab669 posted:

I think in 9th they must now fit Entirely Within 3" too, right?

Yeah, changed from the entire unit being within 3" to every model must be entire within 3".

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hell yeah that's a cool change and I figured it was like that because of the change to characters.

I'm honestly just thinking of having a devilfish act as a bus and use it to drop off different squads of fire warriors (or breachers) to different objectives or drop both off at the same objective then provide LOS blocking.

I've been watching a lot of Tabletop Titans who seem very good and their battle reports are very watchable (as someone who normally doesn't watch them) and they seem keen on using transports to basically sit on objectives with troops inside them, and act as screening for character now the rules have changed.

However for Tau basically they are still of the view that the best way to go is triple rip tides and commanders. I think in both the lists they do they go for foot slogging Breachers, using the Commanders and Riptides to sort of clear the way a bit and hold the middle until the Breachers catch up with Ob Sec.

They did a good video on their Tau thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVH4WgEQXyc

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Sounds like GW is going to be announcing more stuff next weekend, including potentially codexes. Hope the new necron dex comes out soon.

Well I ordered the Eldar dex last night so time to lmao when a 9th Ed drops out of nowhere.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kitchner posted:

Yeah, changed from the entire unit being within 3" to every model must be entire within 3".

There is a stratgem called Emergency Disembark for 1cp this an increase to 6"

Still feel like I'm bombarded with rules but had to learn that one having spent £14 on a Drop Pod which looks better than anything else in my army :black101:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

I've been watching a lot of Tabletop Titans who seem very good and their battle reports are very watchable (as someone who normally doesn't watch them) and they seem keen on using transports to basically sit on objectives with troops inside them, and act as screening for character now the rules have changed.

However for Tau basically they are still of the view that the best way to go is triple rip tides and commanders. I think in both the lists they do they go for foot slogging Breachers, using the Commanders and Riptides to sort of clear the way a bit and hold the middle until the Breachers catch up with Ob Sec.

They did a good video on their Tau thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVH4WgEQXyc

That's entirely where I got the idea from, mostly from the tau v fists game. My big idea is to get troops onto points quick then either have the devilfish tank shots or have the devilfish LOS a disembarked squad as much as possible. Probably like two 5man squads with a guardian drone each (or just one, IDK) that then get backed up by shield drones that float alongside for support.

I also like the idea they mentioned one game when a viewer asked about using the ghostkeel as a tank hunter with fusion blasters. It'd be thematic to have that guy providing support to a team of stealth suits that camp out on a point round 1, since stealth suits get obsec as they're infantry.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There is a stratgem called Emergency Disembark for 1cp this an increase to 6"

Still feel like I'm bombarded with rules but had to learn that one having spent £14 on a Drop Pod which looks better than anything else in my army :black101:

There is, but every model dies on a 1 or 2 on a D6. They also can't charge or heroically intervene. You can also only use it when the transport model is destroyed.

So not that great with the drop pod sorry!

The interesting strat with a Drop Pod is "Desperate Breakout" which is you fall back from combat over models, and if you can't end up more than 1" from an enemy you die. If your enemy has assaulted a drop pod to protect themselves from shooting you could use that and essentially blow it up.

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's entirely where I got the idea from, mostly from the tau v fists game. My big idea is to get troops onto points quick then either have the devilfish tank shots or have the devilfish LOS a disembarked squad as much as possible. Probably like two 5man squads with a guardian drone each (or just one, IDK) that then get backed up by shield drones that float alongside for support.

I also like the idea they mentioned one game when a viewer asked about using the ghostkeel as a tank hunter with fusion blasters. It'd be thematic to have that guy providing support to a team of stealth suits that camp out on a point round 1, since stealth suits get obsec as they're infantry.

Unless there's something I'm missing I thought Stealth Suits are Elites and Ob Sec only applies to troops?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

There is, but every model dies on a 1 or 2 on a D6. They also can't charge or heroically intervene. You can also only use it when the transport model is destroyed.

So not that great with the drop pod sorry!

The interesting strat with a Drop Pod is "Desperate Breakout" which is you fall back from combat over models, and if you can't end up more than 1" from an enemy you die. If your enemy has assaulted a drop pod to protect themselves from shooting you could use that and essentially blow it up.

Unless there's something I'm missing I thought Stealth Suits are Elites and Ob Sec only applies to troops?

Oh that makes more sense. I thought all infantry counted, not just troops.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Devilfish are on a flight stand so they mostly won't block los

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oh that makes more sense. I thought all infantry counted, not just troops.

Nah, I think non-obsec units can do a good job of grabbing and holding objectives quickly, but by the time it moves into mid or late game that's where you want the obsec to stop your opponent just ramming some unit in there to deny you 5VP.

So the stealth suits will be good at holding and objective that forces the enemy to come to them, as they are pretty hard to kill with all the buffs, but if the enemy gets close with non-troops you need to kill them all, which is the riptides, or hold on with obsec which is the breaches.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished a Howling Banshee over the weekend (and today for the base) that I grabbed from a bits store.
Probably went a bit too bone-y with the armor but gently caress trying to using Pallid Wych Flesh as an actual layer paint and not a highlight one.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's a decent way of keeping them in use for legal purposes. Besides, WFB is coming back under FW.

There's also still a roleplaying game being published, videogames like Vermintide being released, etc. The setting isn't dead, it's just not the primary setting of the fantasy wargame anymore.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
So, I was digging through an old box and found a bunch of old Citadel and P3 paints that are probably 7-8 years old and are basically unused but a lot of them are very dried out. Is there a way to restore them? I don’t want to just dump in a bunch of water and ruin them, but I’m not sure what I need to do. I’d hate to toss them because I just got back into the hobby and it’s a bunch of good colors I’d love to use (and it’s probably 60-70 dollars worth of paint).

Any help would be appreciated. Also, for Custodes, what base color do people normally spray them? I’ve seen people doing a gold spray but is that optimal?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Tanon posted:

Any help would be appreciated. Also, for Custodes, what base color do people normally spray them? I’ve seen people doing a gold spray but is that optimal?

I've just started a Custodes army in the last week and have been using the Retributor Armour gold spray. It's expensive, but it appears to work really well.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Are there any recommended 40K-esque bases, things to stick on bases, etc that are sold by third parties that people like to buy? Not looking for anything specific just wanting to browse stuff ya'll like.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

Are there any recommended 40K-esque bases, things to stick on bases, etc that are sold by third parties that people like to buy? Not looking for anything specific just wanting to browse stuff ya'll like.

For my Grey Knights i use the citadel technical paint astrogranite debris.

For my Imperial Guard i just buy slate chips of varying sizes off ebay (from modelling supplies sellers, nothing specific) which provides rocks and the rubble for their urban bases.

For the character for both i bought the set of large basing accessories from GW which gives you a bunch of fallen 40K masonry, stuff like that. The set comes with some smaller stuff, and that very neatly fits onto 32mm and 40mm bases taking up nearly all the base.

I also have some cork coasters which I have torn up to use as fallen concrete walls or bits of road.

I'll see if I can post some photos of some examples

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Astrogranite debris and a little white/grey drybrushing once its dry, it's the new green turf. I use it for basically everything, its a great neutral color that you don't need to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tangy yet delightful posted:

The old school method was to just glue various aquarium things to the base and maybe paint over them. However vallejo sells a lot of cool stuff (putties, effects, etc) to make bases with. I'm in love with the snow effect.

Now I kinda wanna make a game board out of aquarium decorations as I went to double check prices on aquarium gravel and saw that you can basically get all the houses from spongebob for like $20 total and they even seem to be the right scale too

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/penn-plax-spongebob-krusty-krab-aquarium-ornament