Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

look you were only getting glancing blows and when they finally fall is when the pain was too much or you finally got a deathblow in GOD DAMMIT THE HP IS AN ABSTRACTION :argh:

On the tabletop side of things, the Star Wars d20 TTRPG did this pretty well— everyone started with a small amount of hit points that rarely increased, and an increasing with level amount of Vitality that represented your stamina and defensive capabilities. Attacks dealt damage to vitality first, and were glancing blows/near misses, and when things finally started taking away hit points you were actually getting wounded and poo poo was getting dangerous. Critical hits also bypassed vitality completely and dealt damage directly to hit points. For all the problems d20 in general had it was a thematically appropriate system that fit well.

Force users also spent vitality to use their powers, which gave a nice trade off of when to use them rather than just all day every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the way RE3 Remake handles doors drives me nuts. there's no "kick open to stagger" option like in RE4 - all doors are opened with a gentle nudge, as though brushed by a butterfly's wing, and whatever is camping outside will take the opportunity to get a few free hits in

there's a section with two hunters i had to retry a half-dozen times because they kept retreating behind the bulletproof door as soon as it swung shut and then one-shotting me as i tried to line up my aim again

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I'm playing Animal Well right now and I can't land on the goddamn bubbles to save my life. There's one room that you have to ascend by jumping from bubble to bubble and I spent about 20 minutes trying to do.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Bussamove posted:

On the tabletop side of things, the Star Wars d20 TTRPG did this pretty well— everyone started with a small amount of hit points that rarely increased, and an increasing with level amount of Vitality that represented your stamina and defensive capabilities. Attacks dealt damage to vitality first, and were glancing blows/near misses, and when things finally started taking away hit points you were actually getting wounded and poo poo was getting dangerous. Critical hits also bypassed vitality completely and dealt damage directly to hit points. For all the problems d20 in general had it was a thematically appropriate system that fit well.

Force users also spent vitality to use their powers, which gave a nice trade off of when to use them rather than just all day every day.

Alien RPG has a health pool that is rarely modified, and it represents near misses, scratches, and bruises until you run out, at which point you roll on the critical injury table and suffer anything from getting the wind knocked out of you to instant death by cranial evacuation.

But more relevant to the topic, it has a panic system that's outstanding except that many panic effects also increase the stress of everyone within a room sized range. You get moments where someone fucks up hacking a computer so badly that everyone in sight starts panicking and it cascades quickly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Pathfinder on PS4

loving hard locks! I'm mashing demons to dust and being badass and the game will randomly lock!

Also locks if I press L3 and R3 at the same time for some reason!

lame!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Riatsala posted:

Alien RPG has a health pool that is rarely modified, and it represents near misses, scratches, and bruises until you run out, at which point you roll on the critical injury table and suffer anything from getting the wind knocked out of you to instant death by cranial evacuation.

But more relevant to the topic, it has a panic system that's outstanding except that many panic effects also increase the stress of everyone within a room sized range. You get moments where someone fucks up hacking a computer so badly that everyone in sight starts panicking and it cascades quickly.

I've seen this happen IRL when trying to teach old people how to use computers so I appreciate the realism.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In Jedi Survivor, I just found a mullet in a treasure chest.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

In Jedi Survivor, I just found a mullet in a treasure chest.

dog you want the other thread

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kitfox88 posted:

dog you want the other thread

I had to respect the thread title.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

God I love Dead By Daylight and when it's good, it's good, but it has some significant gameplay flaws and a really lovely part of the community that makes it so loving hard to love sometimes :sigh:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Riatsala posted:

The first time I ran an Alien session one of my players got so angry with an NPC they went and found an armoury, grabbed a pulse rifle, an abomination cornered them and they rolled panic when trying to shoot it, dropped the gun, tried to pick it up and got immediately critical hit by the abomination and bled out two turns later. In universe the rest of the players had no idea where he'd gone or what happened. It is a brutal system that suits the universe perfectly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedi Survivor late game spoilers while the Cere/Vader fight is fun it is extremely dumb how dying in it causes you to redo it since when you finally get to the end Vader just kills Cere anyway.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

muscles like this! posted:

Jedi Survivor late game spoilers while the Cere/Vader fight is fun it is extremely dumb how dying in it causes you to redo it since when you finally get to the end Vader just kills Cere anyway.

It's weird that unwinnable fights have been a thing in games since early JRPGs and developers keep making the same mistakes with them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

1stGear posted:

It's weird that unwinnable fights have been a thing in games since early JRPGs and developers keep making the same mistakes with them.

If they do have to do it make it so that if you lose at any time in the fight just play an alternate cutscene to get you where you need to be.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1stGear posted:

One of the things I liked in South Park: The Stick of Truth, there's an "unwinnable" fight and the NPC's straight up tell you "Look, this is a meaningless fight. You get no XP, and you have to pretend like we kicked your rear end no matter what, so do you want to bother fighting us anyways?"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

If they do have to do it make it so that if you lose at any time in the fight just play an alternate cutscene to get you where you need to be.

this is the actual reason they piss me off yeah. i get it, you want a story beat that requires me to overcome adversity or whatever, that's fine. but let me half rear end it in that case, or at least give me some bonus dialogue or drops or whatever if i do manage to beat the dude.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If you can use up consumable items in an unwinnable fight it's even worse, as if games already didn't have problems getting players to actually use consumables.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What annoys me is when you don’t know it’s an unwinnable fight and because of (grinding/build optimisation/gitting gud) you’re finding it fairly easy, with the fight just going on forever until you figure out you’re supposed to lose.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

IDK why games like BG3 and Diablo IV have to be connected to the internet. At least give us a single player mode as they both feel like single player games. I just wanna be able to pause without feeling like I'm gonna miss something or get attacked.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

grittyreboot posted:

IDK why games like BG3 and Diablo IV have to be connected to the internet. At least give us a single player mode as they both feel like single player games. I just wanna be able to pause without feeling like I'm gonna miss something or get attacked.

I'm pretty sure BG3 is playable offline, and very much pauseable outside of cutscenes.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm in the process of reinstalling and modding the first Max Payne and wanted to post this shot of difficulty.txt, buried in one of the game's RAS files.

Recall that MP1 has that bug that basically perma-locks you at the maximum of its adaptive difficulty. So this is what that actually looks like: 40% of maximum health, enemies have 120% health, auto aim is much less forgiving, you receive much less health from painkillers, and you receive 30% less bullet time per killed enemy.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Isn't the 'bug' caused by Hotkey Quickloading when dying instead of Reloading from the Death Menu so the game technically never registers you as skill issue dying so it keeps jacking up the difficulty instead?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

If I'm not mistaken, the death only 'counts' after the death cam finishes playing. So if you die and hammer the use or quickload key before the game prompts you to, it doesn't count the death for the purposes of lowering the difficulty. Honestly, the fact that it's so unclear even 23 years later is kind of a problem. It's a giant game of telephone featuring a lot of anecdotal "well when I did THIS..."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

DoubleNegative posted:

auto aim is much less forgiving

Max Payne had auto aim??? Is it enabled by default? I've played through that game a dozen times and never felt anything like auto aim...

Anyway, to complain:

Mutant: Year Zero has NPCs who deliver some Metal Gear Solid rear end tutorialization, but without that 4th wall breaking MGS nonsense. Narratively it's downright silly. Why is the shopkeeper telling me that she is a shopkeeper and this is where you buy and sell things, when I clearly come here often to buy and sell things? Why am I being educated about what a ghoul is and what to watch out for when I've been doing this for my entire adult life? Why am I being told I grew up in this place, when I grew up in this place and loving know this?

Hi-Fi Rush has now had two levels that ended with a huge epic awesome boss fight where the boss appears, the fight happens, and the boss is defeated entirely within a cutscene. No QTEs or anything. The cutscenes in this game are really rad, but so many of them feel like the intro to a boss fight except the intro cutscene never cuts to letting you play.

credburn has a new favorite as of 05:53 on May 21, 2024

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Fil5000 posted:

The first time I ran an Alien session one of my players got so angry with an NPC they went and found an armoury, grabbed a pulse rifle, an abomination cornered them and they rolled panic when trying to shoot it, dropped the gun, tried to pick it up and got immediately critical hit by the abomination and bled out two turns later. In universe the rest of the players had no idea where he'd gone or what happened. It is a brutal system that suits the universe perfectly.

:allears:

It's so fuckin' good.

Topic content: Stardew Valley mobile is a very competent port and does a nice job of adapting the controls to a touch screen. What's not great is that if you're zoomed out some of the activation points (shop counters, people, mine ladders) become randomly unclickable until you zoom back in. Also the auto attack is your only realistic option for getting through the mines and it feels like you're gated by equipment quality and ability to run away by the time you reach the gold bearing levels.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The thing dragging down a lot of PS2 and earlier games is how wild west it is when it comes to controls. You don't realize how nice it is that things are mostly standardized these days. A lot of games don't have the right stick do anything and I really miss that being how to move the camera. Instead you gotta stick with L1 and R1 being used for that. I'm playing Star Ocean Till The End Of Time and not only does it do that, but for some reason the pause button doesn't even pause the game or open the menu, it instead resets the camera.

Also the token childhood love interest apparently doesn't wear panties and leaves her zipper down to show the world.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Leal posted:

The thing dragging down a lot of PS2 and earlier games is how wild west it is when it comes to controls. You don't realize how nice it is that things are mostly standardized these days. A lot of games don't have the right stick do anything and I really miss that being how to move the camera. Instead you gotta stick with L1 and R1 being used for that. I'm playing Star Ocean Till The End Of Time and not only does it do that, but for some reason the pause button doesn't even pause the game or open the menu, it instead resets the camera.

Yeah Metal Gear Solid controls like loving poo poo.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
MGS is PS1 though. Back then most people were playing without any stick.

Emulation is good because I can bind PS2 camera controls to the stick myself and move the face buttons to the top buttons.

Of course a bit later that means you're in a plane dropping bombs with rstick right and dive with rstick left.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vic posted:

MGS is PS1 though. Back then most people were playing without any stick.

It still makes some really odd choices and Twin Snakes and MGS2 aren't much better.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It still makes some really odd choices and Twin Snakes and MGS2 aren't much better.

Compared to other 3D action PSOne games like Syphon Filter or Tomorrow Never Dies the MGS controls are excellent for the time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The whole "hold and release square to shoot" is a really weird choice if nothing else. That's the one that is most likely to get a new player confused and/or unnecessarily dead.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

The whole "hold and release square to shoot" is a really weird choice if nothing else. That's the one that is most likely to get a new player confused and/or unnecessarily dead.

I've read that Kojima's reasoning behind it is that he wanted to make aiming a weapon at a person feel more dramatic. I don't quite get the exact logic, but I think it's that if you point a gun at someone you're choosing to make a situation more dangerous, and having to ease off an analog button to avoid firing forces you to keep your cool under pressure.

All that's kinda hosed up by no console past the PS3 having analog face buttons though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

I've read that Kojima's reasoning behind it is that he wanted to make aiming a weapon at a person feel more dramatic. I don't quite get the exact logic, but I think it's that if you point a gun at someone you're choosing to make a situation more dangerous, and having to ease off an analog button to avoid firing forces you to keep your cool under pressure.

All that's kinda hosed up by no console past the PS3 having analog face buttons though.

The PS1 didn't have them either, so once you'd pointed the gun in MGS1 you had to (I think) use the shoulder buttons to unequip it if you changed your mind. The slow release thing was a novel idea but I can't remember ever actually doing it in an actual fight MGS2

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

bawk posted:

It just always seemed a little bit goofy when Qui-Gon Jin and Obi-Wan literally slice through a spaceship's door using their lightsabers, and then in KOTOR you'd slap an unarmored person with a lightsaber for 30 seconds before they'd collapse on the ground, perfectly intact.

Sekiro's solution for this (outside of giant enemies where it was reasonable that you might have to scratch their legs up with your relatively tiny sword for ages) was to give enemies a "posture" meter, where cosmetically they block your attack, but they take a bunch of "posture damage" as they do so. Then when they take enough posture damage they become vulnerable to a "death blow", which is an animated finishing move. Most bosses take a couple of deathblows, and if you sneak up on an enemy you can deathblow them right away without having to do posture damage.

System works really well and should probably be the standard for games where the usual weapon is a "if a person gets hit with this once they're probably dead" kind of deal.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Fil5000 posted:

The PS1 didn't have them either, so once you'd pointed the gun in MGS1 you had to (I think) use the shoulder buttons to unequip it if you changed your mind. The slow release thing was a novel idea but I can't remember ever actually doing it in an actual fight MGS2

Haha I remember trying to do it a few times, resulting in some uhhh perhaps unavoidable casualties.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

It's DRM. When pressed the developers will lie and tell you it's something else, but it's DRM. I don't think BG3 requires a connection though, does it?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

grittyreboot posted:

I'm playing Animal Well right now and I can't land on the goddamn bubbles to save my life. There's one room that you have to ascend by jumping from bubble to bubble and I spent about 20 minutes trying to do.
I hope you can get better at it because you will need this skill a lot in this game (which is a fantastic game btw).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

Can’t do an in-game store if the player isn’t logged into your portal. Or worse, modders might unlock the store stuff for free.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
This is more irrational than anything, but I've noticed this in Fallout 4 several times and it drives me nuts.

There are a few instances of ghouls (who age incredibly slow and are for all intents and purposes practically immortal) being trapped or sequestered in spaces for hundreds of years, but are perfectly fine when you talk to them.

Of all the things I can suspend belief on in a wacky sci-fi game, being mentally stable after being alone with just your thoughts for over two centuries is just a bridge too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I mean the kid in fridge one is clearly a big silly joke so I can forgive it for that, but the other one coming to mind, that being nick's companion quest, deffo is Some Quality Bethesda Writing, yeah.