Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The income gap in Canada has almost reached the same level its at in the USA. Both the Liberals and the Cons are performing death by 1000 cuts on most of our social programs. The gender pay gap in Canada was (might still be, I cant find anything more recent than June 2017) the worst of any first world nation.

We have become complacent and happy with being just slightly less worse than the USA. That is a horribly low bar to clear and lately we have started tripping over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Butcher posted:

Postman just brought me weed. I mean he's been doing that for years but this is the first time I had to sign for it.

Dude was laughing and said it's a very popular box today, being the first day it could be delivered if you bought day 1.

Sent me off with "Enjoy!" lol.

2018 got summed up very well today by a friend of mine: "Our government literally sells bongs and every Canada Post truck is full of weed now""

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

2018 got summed up very well today by a friend of mine: "Our government literally sells bongs and every Canada Post truck is full of weed now""

Yeah the revenue generated by this is going to be enormous. There's no way we are ever reversing course on this, even under a CPC majority.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Canada Post is saved by mail order weed, huzzah

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

vyelkin posted:

The 2017 poverty rate in Canada was 13.9%.

The 2017 poverty rate in the USA was 12.3%.

Not to be understated, our poor have access to healthcare. Medical outcomes for the impoverished in the US are very bad.

The Butcher posted:

Postman just brought me weed. I mean he's been doing that for years but this is the first time I had to sign for it.

Dude was laughing and said it's a very popular box today, being the first day it could be delivered if you bought day 1.

Party on wayne

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

vyelkin posted:

2017 poll of Canadians: 74% support same-sex marriage

2017 poll of Americans: 67% support same-sex marriage

2017 poll of Canadians: 46% have a negative view of Islam

2017 poll of Americans: there isn't as straightforward a positive/negative question in this poll, but 50% say Islam is not part of mainstream American society and 44% say Islam is incompatible with democracy

2017 poll of Canadians: 28% say poor people are poor because they're lazy, 72% because of circumstance

2017 poll of Americans: 34% say poor people are poor because they're lazy, 53% because of circumstance

Why am I bringing up these polls? Because I think the "we're better than America" tack is a really dangerous one. We really aren't. We have some better institutions (and some worse institutions, too), we have some better social programs, but culturally and socially Canadians and Americans are far more similar than different in our attitudes towards each other and our society. And treating our country like being a few percentage points better than America is good enough to be proud is a huge mistake that leads to us stagnating as an apathetic, good-enough, completely unambitious country.

Is there any measures if any of these numbers are getting worse in recent years? As inequality grows and leaders that openly blame minorities for all our issues rise to prominence I would imagine we only get worse on racism and sexism moving forward.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm in Sudbury and this afternoon I've cleared some time to look into my choices for mayor here. 12 choices, though some are clearly out.

Amusingly, Troy Crowder was a right-winger when he was in the NHL, and is running as a member of the OPC. So he's keeping his position, regardless of whether he gets elected.

Noted lunatic Christian fundamentalist (emphasis on "mental"), J. David Popescu, would be a fun option.

J. David Popescu posted:

We have to undo all the Godlessness contained in libraries and the sin we're promoting in the name of arts that promotes Satanism, actually.
I don't know how much power the mayor has over the Satan content of library materials, but this guy's basically a ranting street preacher with cleaner shirts.

I'll probably vote for either Bill Crumplin (Green party, first-time candidate, Geography professor) or Cody Cacciotti (doesn't sound insane or right-wing-dogwhistle-y, youngest at 32 years old). The incumbent, Brian Bigger, did actually do something (a small something) that I like, by removing a bylaw that restricted how late retail stores could stay open. But I'm planning to vote for Bob Johnston for my ward councilor, and he (apparently) doesn't get along well with Mr. Bigger.

Click that link, and watch Bob's Video Message for You! Some classic politicking right there, what's not to love?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

The Butcher posted:

The postman hasn't brought me mine yet, my dealer did stop by and tell me he was dropping his prices by half though. Told me he was nervous at first but seeing the government prices he thinks he can stay in 'business'

I wanna know much loving profit was this guy making before if he can still make money at half price, jfc

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

vyelkin posted:

2017 poll of Canadians: 74% support same-sex marriage

2017 poll of Americans: 67% support same-sex marriage

2017 poll of Canadians: 46% have a negative view of Islam

2017 poll of Americans: there isn't as straightforward a positive/negative question in this poll, but 50% say Islam is not part of mainstream American society and 44% say Islam is incompatible with democracy

2017 poll of Canadians: 28% say poor people are poor because they're lazy, 72% because of circumstance

2017 poll of Americans: 34% say poor people are poor because they're lazy, 53% because of circumstance

Why am I bringing up these polls? Because I think the "we're better than America" tack is a really dangerous one. We really aren't. We have some better institutions (and some worse institutions, too), we have some better social programs, but culturally and socially Canadians and Americans are far more similar than different in our attitudes towards each other and our society. And treating our country like being a few percentage points better than America is good enough to be proud is a huge mistake that leads to us stagnating as an apathetic, good-enough, completely unambitious country.

Also worth keeping in mind is that these national level stats can be misleading because a higher percentage of Canadians live in urban areas. If you broke the numbers down and compared the average Canadian living a major metropolitan centre with the average American living in a major metropolitan centre, or the average American rural vs the average Canadian rural, we'd probably see even more convergence in terms of attitudes and opinions on a lot of key issues.

Being smug about being superior to the Americans rings hollow in the same way that a person in California or Massachusetts feeling smug toward flyover country rings hollow. While there is some national variety, broadly speaking demographics, income and geography are more predictive of most of these things than whether you're American or Canadian citizen.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

The postman hasn't brought me mine yet, my dealer did stop by and tell me he was dropping his prices by half though. Told me he was nervous at first but seeing the government prices he thinks he can stay in 'business'

I wanna know much loving profit was this guy making before if he can still make money at half price, jfc

I feel like the exact same thing would happen if at&t and sprint got to sell cell phone plans in Canada. Rogers drops prices by fifty percent overnight and still makes a ton of money

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

zapplez posted:

I feel like the exact same thing would happen if at&t and sprint got to sell cell phone plans in Canada. Rogers drops prices by fifty percent overnight and still makes a ton of money

Or maybe the government could at bare minimum act to break up monopolies and punish collusion by companies intended to raise prices.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Butcher posted:

Yeah the revenue generated by this is going to be enormous. There's no way we are ever reversing course on this, even under a CPC majority.
just think of all the nice things we'll never have because that money is going to tax cuts for the "middle class" (people earning 85-200k)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing posted:

Or maybe the government could at bare minimum act to break up monopolies and punish collusion by companies intended to raise prices.

Actually the correct response to a monopoly or something close to it is to realize the market has spoken and it's a natural monopoly thus should be nationalized :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

just think of all the nice things we'll never have because that money is going to tax cuts for the "middle class" (people earning 85-200k)

I never asked for nor wanted the tax cut either :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Actually the correct response to a monopoly or something close to it is to realize the market has spoken and it's a natural monopoly thus should be nationalized :)

:hai:

If the government announced they were nationalizing the telecom infrastructure the attack ads from Rogers/Bell would be loving relentless though.

We could then banish their CEOs to Nunavut and force them to spend the rest of their days laying cable to remote communities as a way to pay back their debt to society.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
nationalize then destroy social media.

Another thing corbyn got right.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

The Butcher posted:

I'm sorry about the bad weed you're about to smoke tho

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Imagine how amazing it would be if there was an actual political party that had a chance at winning that would reign in big business.

Won't happen in our lifetimes, but still, neat.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

zapplez posted:

Imagine how amazing it would be if there was an actual political party that had a chance at winning that would reign in big business.

Won't happen in our lifetimes, but still, neat.

It will happen in our lifetimes.

Just not here. :smith:

Franks Happy Place posted:

I'm sorry about the bad weed you're about to smoke tho

Ive been waiting for you to show up. In your professional opinion which province is currently loving this up the most? My vote is Ontario, mostly because of the radical shift in policy between the outgoing Liberals and incoming Cons, as well as the Cons literally smashing anything with the Liberal name attached to it so they can put in something Conservative branded.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My money is on Quebec, but Ontario has to be a strong contender.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Quebec's is working pretty well by all accounts, though that'll probably change once the loving retards CAQ changes the minimum age to 21.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ontario's approach so far seems like the one that will scale back the power of the cops to gently caress with people the most so I'm in favour of it.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
It's probably Quebec, their system is the dumbest by design.

BC runs a close second because all the local governments want to ban production in industrial/commercial/anywhere, and they're now banned from most of the ALR, so I guess 15,000 BC micro growers (aka 90% of the weed grown in Canada, desperately needed to be brought into the licit market) will just situate their farms on floating barges, or maybe in special grow blimps up in the sky. Definitely not in Langley that's for sure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ontario is trying to speedrun its way to the bottom. Cancelling cap and trade is costing 3 billion more than keeping it, basic income is gone, sex Ed is hosed, and nobody's buying into Dougies buck a beer scam. Meanwhile we have a literal nazi running for mayor in TO

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

A big protest just passed my apartment in Montreal, they were holding signs that said stuff like "albi" "itinerant" and "enfant" but I have no idea what it was about. Can't find any news about the protest either.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 20, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I dunno Manitoba’s complete outdoor weed ban is pretty bad along with Brian Pallister’s underhanded dig Manitoba Liquor stores when he said “Private is always better than public”

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

I dunno Manitoba’s complete outdoor weed ban is pretty bad along with Brian Pallister’s underhanded dig Manitoba Liquor stores when he said “Private is always better than public”

It’ll also hopefully not result in permanent damage and can be easily reversed.

Small loving miracles in this day and age

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Pallister's gonna get a second term for sure so you best bite the pillow there boys cuz he's goin' in dry.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ontario is trying to speedrun its way to the bottom. Cancelling cap and trade is costing 3 billion more than keeping it, basic income is gone, sex Ed is hosed, and nobody's buying into Dougies buck a beer scam. Meanwhile we have a literal nazi running for mayor in TO

...Actually, we have at least two.

chupacabraj
Nov 4, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I'm in Sudbury and this afternoon I've cleared some time to look into my choices for mayor here. 12 choices, though some are clearly out.

Amusingly, Troy Crowder was a right-winger when he was in the NHL, and is running as a member of the OPC. So he's keeping his position, regardless of whether he gets elected.

Noted lunatic Christian fundamentalist (emphasis on "mental"), J. David Popescu, would be a fun option.

I don't know how much power the mayor has over the Satan content of library materials, but this guy's basically a ranting street preacher with cleaner shirts.

I'll probably vote for either Bill Crumplin (Green party, first-time candidate, Geography professor) or Cody Cacciotti (doesn't sound insane or right-wing-dogwhistle-y, youngest at 32 years old). The incumbent, Brian Bigger, did actually do something (a small something) that I like, by removing a bylaw that restricted how late retail stores could stay open. But I'm planning to vote for Bob Johnston for my ward councilor, and he (apparently) doesn't get along well with Mr. Bigger.

Click that link, and watch Bob's Video Message for You! Some classic politicking right there, what's not to love?

Troy Crowder has been pretty entertaining with his anti-corruption rants lately. His girlfriend is also running for councillor but seems like she is mostly campaigning for him.

Crumplin is a good guy! He was my Human Geography prof. I'm most likely voting for him as well. But I am going to stick with Signoretti because he's done a lot of good calling council out on their poo poo, and from what I heard Johnston was cool with SOO working at the soup kitchen which rubs me the wrong way.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If Crowder's politics end up being anything like his pizza his first year is going to be alright but by the fourth he'll be closing shop.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked the Federal Libs telling Ford to shut the gently caress up. They're right, guys been Premier for 3 months, has zero to show for outside of backing down of an uppopular repeal of Sex Ed and Canceling the Basic Income Pilot and Carbon Tax.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I liked the Federal Libs telling Ford to shut the gently caress up. They're right, guys been Premier for 3 months, has zero to show for outside of backing down of an uppopular repeal of Sex Ed and Canceling the Basic Income Pilot and Carbon Tax.

Oh come on he has done more than that. He also backed a nazi running for mayor in Toronto and cancelled the min wage increase.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The fact that neither of you mentioned buck a beer is insanely disingenuous

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Starks posted:

The fact that neither of you mentioned buck a beer is insanely disingenuous

If you see any tell me.

I could see Ford running completely on "Vote for me to trigger the libs!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

My dude, did you forget about how he also ruined the Toronto election for no reason?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

vyelkin posted:

My dude, did you forget about how he also ruined the Toronto election for no reason?

Oh there was reason. Spite. He is still mad they didnt elect him mayor and largely didnt vote for his party in the provincial election.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Oh hang on sorry I located another important Doug Ford accomplishment: disbanding the nonpartisan expert panel on ending violence against women, after having not returned any of their calls or emails since the election.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ford-government-disbands-liberals-expert-panel-to-end-violence/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He did open the greenbelt for business tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

He did open the greenbelt for business tho.

How much are you willing to bet they completely ignore how much of a flood risk that area is. Or worse, remove the flood protections put in place after the last hurricane hit. Will they even consider the trend of stronger hurricanes along the Atlantic?