Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
wow an area with high surveillance in the wake of horrific terrorism attacks

it's funny whenever you see a travel/expat vlog and the women often say how safe they feel walking around alone late at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

The term you're looking for here is "cultural genocide." It's the same thing that Canadians and Americans have been doing to native people from whenever it became distasteful to just shoot them until the present.

i'm aware of the distinction, i was referring to people that conflate the two into simply "genocide". which, to be fair, the US state department also did

yet they refuse to apply the same terminology to what israel is doing in gaza. strange, huh?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

crepeface posted:

wow an area with high surveillance in the wake of horrific terrorism attacks

it's funny whenever you see a travel/expat vlog and the women often say how safe they feel walking around alone late at night

iirc they referred to the terrorist attacks as "expressions of discontent" or something to that effect, lol

either way tori is right. regardless of location we're all under constant surveillance anyway, just some people get more scrutiny than others

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Sagebrush posted:

The term you're looking for here is "cultural genocide." It's the same thing that Canadians and Americans have been doing to native people from whenever it became distasteful to just shoot them until the present.

people have to stop comparing china to settler colonial states just because that's the only lens they understand the formation of nations from. most countries form in the way that china does, through a long history of war, trade and integration between neighouring tribes.

the 'cultural genocide' that gets talked about is from two main misconceptions.

1. there was a spread of radiical salafism from the middle east during the war on terror by groups such as the ETIM (designated as terrorists by china, US, UN, EU since 9/11). this is different to the unique form of islam that had emerged over the centuries in xinjaing (e.g. alcohol is allowed). radical imported practices are what is "repressed." fyi there are other ethnic minorities in china that are also predominately muslim (like the Hui)
  2. xinjiang has an education system where mandarin is not mandatory in the curriculum. as china became more interconnected and there was more investment in the area, non-mandarin speakers were missing out on the benefits. the government's reasoning is that this is why terrorism took off in the first place, resentment from being left behind so the people who were arrested were put into language "re-education" and trained in a trade.
there's a funny quote from an AP journalist who went to xinjiang that attempts to paint this dystopian image:

quote:

Behind him, a drunk Uyghur man was yelling. Alcohol is forbidden for practicing Muslims, especially in the holy month of Ramadan.

“I’ve been drinking alcohol, I’m a little drunk, but that’s no problem. We can drink as we want now!” he shouted. “We can do what we want! Things are great now!”

At a nearby store, I notice liquor bottles lining the shelves. In another town, my colleague and I encounter a drunk Uyghur man, passed out by a trash bin in broad daylight. Though many Uyghurs in big cities like Urumqi have long indulged in drinking, such sights were once unimaginable in the pious rural areas of southern Xinjiang.

On a government sponsored tour, officials took us to meet Mamatjan Ahat, a truck driver, who declared he was back to drinking and smoking because he had recanted religion and extremism after a stint at one of Xinjiang’s infamous “training centers”.

“It made me more open-minded,” Ahat told reporters, as officials listened in.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-lifestyle-china-health-travel-7a6967f335f97ca868cc618ea84b98b9

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Beeftweeter posted:

i basically got the sense that they are forcibly assimilating people into what the state's idea of "chinese culture" is. that is imo certainly bad, but quite far from literal genocide. and yes, that's certainly oppressive, and yes, there is satellite evidence that (quite a few) mosques had been completely razed to the ground, which is also bad. china's 1982 constitution provides for "freedom of religious belief" — but afaict (and i'm no expert, paging fart) not worship — so i suppose that would be fair game, there

buildings that are crumbling dangerously get torn down. that's not evidence of repression. the question is if there are still enough mosques to service the religious needs of the community and based on every travel vlog i've seen (and my aunt's own visit last year) it looks like there is.

iirc there was a specific one that was rebuilt and modernised that you can find with satellite "evidence".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Fart you're logged into the wrong account

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
ah gently caress

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

crepeface posted:

buildings that are crumbling dangerously get torn down. that's not evidence of repression. the question is if there are still enough mosques to service the religious needs of the community and based on every travel vlog i've seen (and my aunt's own visit last year) it looks like there is.

iirc there was a specific one that was rebuilt and modernised that you can find with satellite "evidence".

i mean, idk what conditions the buildings were in, but it was noted that at least some were "ancient" without specifying what that meant. if they were structurally unsound, then yeah, i can see the chinese perspective being "tear it down and build a new one" since that's something that happens all the time there

and yes, it was noted that at least one was rebuilt (but they didn't mention that it was rebuilt as a mosque). i am glad to hear that they didn't all disappear though

Sagebrush posted:

Fart you're logged into the wrong account

eh, fart knows i've got nothing against china. keep in mind i was summarizing what i'd read, unless i specifically said so i don't necessarily agree with their viewpoint. for maybe the past 15 years in the US we have definitely been subject to a steady diet of negative propaganda specifically targeting china

so while i'd trust the guardian (a UK outfit, for those who don't know) a little more than the NYT, they're not as unbiased as they claim either. plus being in the UK they're actually subject to more governmental pressure, not less, though that's usually reserved for articles critical of the uk government

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
e: nevermind

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 17, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wow this thread got woke real quick

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I mean that in the non-desantis way

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

crepeface posted:

yeah, now that they're getting rid of uyghurs

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

crepeface posted:

that's a bit of an overly utilitarian, city simulator-rear end view imo; no matter what your intentions are destroying a place of worship (a community center!) is a symbol. as much as the people can just move to a new place, the mental image persists. then again it should not be a problem as long as a) the reasons are properly communicated and b) it feels like the people making the decision are part of the community, which they seem to be. you can look up the communist party structure in the region and the leadership is openly uyghur. surely you'd not allow that if you viewed the culture as a rot

e: okay "openly" might be a dumb word when we talk about ethnicity, just, y'know, using it as a descriptor

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol

NYT had a picture from someone that saw an upside down flag at samuel alito's house on january 17, 2021 (the date of biden's inauguration). employing the standard political playbook, he blamed his wife

quote:

The Times published a photo of the inverted flag, which it said was seen at the justice’s home in Alexandria, Virginia, on January 17, 2021.

A spokeswoman for the Supreme Court did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CNN, which has not independently verified the flag’s use.

“I had no involvement whatsoever in the flying of the flag,” Alito said in an emailed statement to the Times. “It was briefly placed by Mrs. Alito in response to a neighbor’s use of objectionable and personally insulting language on yard signs.”

sure is great we have unaccountable insane people running things

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

lol

NYT had a picture from someone that saw an upside down flag at samuel alito's house on january 17, 2021 (the date of biden's inauguration). employing the standard political playbook, he blamed his wife

sure is great we have unaccountable insane people running things

there are some interviews with her and she claims she did put it up because their neighbors had a sign that said "gently caress Trump"

which is perfectly in line with your standard rich dc suburbanite

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

crepeface posted:

people have to stop comparing china to settler colonial states just because that's the only lens they understand the formation of nations from. most countries form in the way that china does, through a long history of war, trade and integration between neighouring tribes.

the 'cultural genocide' that gets talked about is from two main misconceptions.

this is a real question, not a rhetorical one:

raminasi posted:

is amnesty international a cia op or did they just get suckered by one

edit: same question for hrw

(to be clear, both organization's accusations are of "crimes against humanity," not "genocide")

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

there are some interviews with her and she claims she did put it up because their neighbors had a sign that said "gently caress Trump"

which is perfectly in line with your standard rich dc suburbanite

sounds like supreme court justices should all be unmarried and forever alone

hell let's just make them robots

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

crepeface posted:

nation building is accomplished through genocide. full stop. there are no states that exist which where not formed out of the violent repression of opposition, usually (but not always) indigenous people. acting as if china is any different, or that these are forgivable crimes or unique to colonial states is idiotic at best.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 17, 2024

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

sounds like supreme court justices should all be unmarried and forever alone

hell let's just make them robots

:hmmyes: mandatory gelding for all supreme court justices

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Improbable Lobster posted:

nation building is accomplished through genocide. full stop. there are no states that exist which where not formed out of the violent repression of opposition, usually (but not always) indigenous people. acting as if china is any different, or that these are forgivable crimes or unique to colonial states is idiotic at best.

you dont think theres a difference between what the english did in england and what they did in america? or between either of those examples and what india did for its independence? etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wtf is this post. i did not read context granted, but go to dnd and do context then. if the post context were such that it necessitated and contextualized this poo poo, also kindly gently caress off to dnd.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 18, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

so, uh, what about states comprised mostly of indigenous people?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

raminasi posted:

is amnesty international a cia op or did they just get suckered by one

edit: same question for hrw

the NGO space has definitely been infiltrated, as has the media. can't find the report where a cia guy says it outright but it's out there.

it doesn't mean cia are directing everything outright, or that they don't do any good work, but as with anything, you have to read it critically.

here's a 5 min clip of a hong kong journalist talking about those groups with a few specifics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uASqc_nHu48

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

crepeface posted:

here's a 5 min clip of a hong kong journalist talking about those groups with a few specifics:

doesn't that guy work for china's version of voice for america

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ireland was built without genocide (or rather the Irish weren’t doing the genociding)

I believe Norway also managed to do it, as did Greenland. lot of tiny European countries all managed to do it.

genocide is principally a founding condition of settler colonial states.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

raminasi posted:

doesn't that guy work for china's version of voice for america

says who

do you think he was lying about amnesty international reporting that a uyhgur student was kidnapped by hong kong police when he was in korea

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ireland was built without genocide (or rather the Irish weren’t doing the genociding)

I believe Norway also managed to do it, as did Greenland. lot of tiny European countries all managed to do it.

genocide is principally a founding condition of settler colonial states.

a metric poo poo ton of countries managed to form without genocide and still exist today

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what living on turtle island does to a mf 😔😔😔

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

England is a nation-state that formed without genocide but should have had some

Apr 7, 2003

(preferably all the English, gone)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

England practiced genociding the celts before turning their eye to the rest of the world

Apr 7, 2003

The Romans genocided the Celts, nobody involved was English yet

Apr 7, 2003

Once they became English though.. oh boy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ehh that's not really true. england has an incredibly long history, what we conceptualize as "the english" today are kinda really germans

Apr 7, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

ehh that's not really true. england has an incredibly long history, what we think of as "the english" are kinda really germans

Nah, the English ruling family (the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) is German. The English themselves are English and have been for a while. They just kinda became English around 700 AD.

Apr 7, 2003

If you want to argue that the English are actually German due to the Saxons, that means the French are also German.

Apr 7, 2003

In 700 AD everyone's teeth got bad and they said "oi mate, we're English now. Blimey!"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Nah, the English ruling family (the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) is German. The English themselves are English and have been for a while. They just kinda became English around 700 AD.

well yeah, i mean, it happened literally thousands of years ago, but a ton of romano-british were killed when the anglo-saxons took over. i guess since there aren't any romano-british anymore, that might constitute genocide?

Apr 7, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

well yeah, i mean, it happened literally thousands of years ago, but a ton of romano-british were killed when the anglo-saxons took over. but i guess since there aren't any romano-british anymore, that might constitute genocide?

There are a whole shitload of Romano-British, they're called "english people" and they have bad teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Can't you take this to one of the 100,000 other threads about in the poo poo forums