Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Same poo poo in France, the Franks were a Germanic tribe but it's not like they displaced the Gauls in any real way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Can't you take this to one of the 100,000 other threads about in the poo poo forums

shut the gently caress up

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

crepeface posted:

says who

do you think he was lying about amnesty international reporting that a uyhgur student was kidnapped by hong kong police when he was in korea

oh, for some reason i thought he was a china daily employee, but i appear to have been mistaken. still, i can't help but think that showing up there as a sympathetic opinion author and interview subject is kinda awkward; the reverse situation (an anti-china writer cited and boosted by a united states propaganda outlet) wouldn't be taken very seriously, after all, and justifiably so.

i don't think he was lying about the student misreporting, but i also don't think that five minutes of scattered disparagement on youtube is enough to dismiss every accusation ai has made w/r/t xinjiang as cia fabrications, even when provided by these trustworthy guys:

fridayeveryday posted:

And on that note, we can add that we are NOT financed by the CIA, MI6, George Soros, or Mr Putin!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are a whole shitload of Romano-British, they're called "english people" and they have bad teeth

now you've got me looking at wikipedia lol. tbh while i had to study some uk history in college i forgot a lot of it and it wasn't exactly a focal point

afaict indigenous britons were celts, who were conquered by the romans. and while they're not really a cohesive culture or people anymore, they actually do still have genetic lineage detectable in european populations today (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts#Genetics)

that paragraph is pretty unintelligible due to being overly technical but this is their distribution as of 2010 (afaict, the scale label is practically gibberish to me but apparently refers to celtic genetic markers):

so i suppose you're right, they weren't genocided

e: hey wait you said they were, lol. whatever, it doesn't really matter, having happened literally over a thousand years ago

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 18, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

Can't you take this to one of the 100,000 other threads about in the poo poo forums

take what to where?

Apr 7, 2003

I am not an ethnographist or anything other than a shitposter on the internet, but I don't really think it was possible to do genocides 1500 years ago like they are done in the modern era. wrt England all of those waves of invasions, re-invasions, and re-re-invasions happened over hundreds of years and all of those populations intermingled and synthesized new peoples. You could argue that the Mongols were capable of genocide back in the middle ages due to how efficient they were at killing but they still ended up being assimilated into the cultures they conquered (i.e. Kublai Khan becoming the founder of the Chinese Yuan dynasty).

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Improbable Lobster posted:

nation building is accomplished through genocide. full stop. there are no states that exist which where not formed out of the violent repression of opposition, usually (but not always) indigenous people. acting as if china is any different, or that these are forgivable crimes or unique to colonial states is idiotic at best.

the breathing apparatus is for huffing nazi farts

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If you want to argue that the English are actually German due to the Saxons, that means the French are also German.

yes you’re correct

The Romans genocided the Celts, nobody involved was English yet

just wait until you find out about what they spent 800 years doing to the Irish, welsh, and Scots

Apr 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

just wait until you find out about what they spent 800 years doing to the Irish, welsh, and Scots

But we're talking about England here, not Ireland, Wales, Scotland, or the greater UK (a very young state in real terms). England is a nation-state that was built without genocide.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

But we're talking about England here, not Ireland, Wales, Scotland, or the greater UK (a very young state in real terms). England is a nation-state that was built without genocide.

yeah check out what they were up to in 1916, friend

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

specifically Northern Ireland

Apr 7, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yeah check out what they were up to in 1916, friend

Ireland is not England and colonial acts are not the same as what happens at home.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

oh England England not the UK

I wish I could read

Apr 7, 2003

I will be the first to agree that the English suck balls and should be eradicated but no one can argue that England was built on genocide.

Apr 7, 2003

https://x.com/thekinocorner/status/1780287799142330509

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

iceland though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

I am not an ethnographist or anything other than a shitposter on the internet, but I don't really think it was possible to do genocides 1500 years ago like they are done in the modern era. wrt England all of those waves of invasions, re-invasions, and re-re-invasions happened over hundreds of years and all of those populations intermingled and synthesized new peoples. You could argue that the Mongols were capable of genocide back in the middle ages due to how efficient they were at killing but they still ended up being assimilated into the cultures they conquered (i.e. Kublai Khan becoming the founder of the Chinese Yuan dynasty).

well yeah, it definitely became easier to accomplish genocide once gunpowder was invented, and with it subsequently more reliable, accurate and lethal weapons, etc.

but this is turning into a semantical argument, which is kinda simultaneously stupid and interesting, lol

afaict the term "genocide" is a relatively recent one, having been coined in the 1940s. but you're right — well before that, there were certainly entire peoples that existed, were slaughtered, and now they don't exist today, at least not entirely in their original genetic composition. it's also true that as a species that apparently loves to mix war with rape, we've created entirely new ones out of those horrors, and with them, new nations

we don't really consider those things genocide, though, and i think it's worth asking why. maybe because it's essentially "settled history" at this point, or because of said homogenization making the point moot? idk

incidentally i don't think i've ever seen the term "genocide" being defined as within a certain period of time or requiring any kind of efficiency. i mean, on a long enough timeline, literally all of us (and everything surrounding us) will be swallowed by the sun. would that constitute genocide? would anyone even know about it, so that they may apply the label? (e: yeah i'm obviously aware of the term "extinction". let's just pretend there could be some observer, possibly even human, ok?)

i guess i'm not saying that the label "genocide" is inherently problematic, but it definitely could use some narrowing

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 18, 2024

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

the mughals did not commit genocide when they conquered india

Apr 7, 2003

The Mongols were masters of industrial-scale killing prior to industry, to the point where they are probably responsible for the rise of Europe as a power after turbofucking China and the Islamic world. Even they couldn't completely kill off the people they were trying to kill off; their ruling structures were eventually completely consumed by the people they thought they'd replaced. Food for thought.

Apr 7, 2003

Tungsten posted:

the mughals did not commit genocide when they conquered india

Glen Cook based his entire second half of the Black Company on the Mughal conquest of India

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

raminasi posted:

oh, for some reason i thought he was a china daily employee, but i appear to have been mistaken. still, i can't help but think that showing up there as a sympathetic opinion author and interview subject is kinda awkward; the reverse situation (an anti-china writer cited and boosted by a united states propaganda outlet) wouldn't be taken very seriously, after all, and justifiably so.

wtf are you talking about dude, just about every story you've read about evil ccp is an anti-china writer boosted by a united states propaganda outlet.

dismissing everyone that says positive things about china as "pro-china" is dumb. it literally is a tautology. also, nury has been a critic of china, to the point of marching in the HK protests before. here's a big post i did about more "pro-china" international journalists in a quote block so people can collapse it if they want to skip it:

crepeface posted:

oh man, according to jerry the cyclist, the ABC were just part of a group of 22 from 14 countries and there was another group of 22 from 17 countries.

belgium (surprisingly in-depth with historical context):

quote:

There is nothing to notice from a police state. Police control, cameras, facial recognition, none of which are significantly more present than ours. We were able to walk around in the busy bazaars and determine the relaxed behavior of the population. I agree with the opinion of two German sinologists, professors Thomas Heberer and Helwig Schmidt-Glintzer after their recent individual visit to Xinjiang in the Neue Zürcher Zeitung placed. They found that life in Xinjiang is going back to normal today.
---
Everywhere we have been able to see the great economic progress. The suburbs with modern residential areas are growing like all Chinese cities. A modern road network has been developed in the cities and through the province (five times the size of France). In Urumqi and Kashgar you are stuck in traffic during rush hour. The renovation of Kashgar's old city center has greatly improved living conditions. The poor residents of the most dilapidated mud district are now housed in modern apartments. The bazaars have been modernized; Urumqi's now also has a department with international products.
---
Chinese politics differ greatly from Islam from Belgian? Belgium also has laws and rules against membership of terrorist groups, against recruiters and fighters for IS, against hate preachers, against mosques controlled abroad, against wearing religious symbols in some places.
---
Living together intensively with people from twenty different countries and with different cultures for a week, casual discussion of the most varied subjects - from the education of children to world politics - was an enriching experience. The Chinese who accompanied us also took an active part.

What I remember most is how positively the media from these Muslim countries approach the treatment of Islam in China. They look admiringly at successfully restraining extremism, which almost all their countries also deal with. Instead of criticizing China, they wonder what their own country can learn from the Chinese approach.

germany (paywalled):

quote:

China is on the way to replacing the United States as the largest economic nation. The rise of the country was initiated with the reform and opening policy in the late 1970s. But while the boom was driven by the special economic zones in the east of the People's Republic, the west remained China long back. The Chinese government wants to change that now.

canada:

quote:

The Institutions receive government subsidies, which reflects the government’s understanding of its role in promoting education. Students can pray in a 1,700-square-meter mosque, which allows students to pray five times daily, emphasizing faith’s importance in their lives. It hosts various religious representatives at all levels, showcasing the acceptance and inclusivity of different religious beliefs.

Many students within the organization are from within the Uyghur community, reflected in the country’s constitution, and respect religious diversity. It is crucial to dispel the misconception that there is no religious freedom in China. The Xinjiang region has a long history of religious tolerance and is also home to China’s first mosque for worshipping. While conflicts have occurred, it’s essential to distinguish extremism from true Islamic practices. Every government’s role is to promote and uplift every citizen regardless of religion, which is evident throughout Xinjiang. These institutions contribute to a more inclusive and tolerant society by embracing and accommodating different religious beliefs.

china daily's pulled quotes

quote:

russia:

quote:

At a shopping center in the port city of Horgos on the China-Kazakhstan border, Maxim Cherevik, an editor of the Information Telegraph Agency of Russia (ITAR-TASS), immediately spotted goods from Russia.

"The Chinese government has invested heavily on the port construction, created many job opportunities, and driven up regional growth," said Cherevik. "From here, I can see great potential for the Belt and Road construction."

sri lanka

quote:

After visiting the ancient city and a memorial hall, Sakalasooriya, an editor from the Daily Mirror in Sri Lanka, learned about the tremendous changes that Kashgar has undergone.

"China has invested a lot of resources in transforming the old city, which shows Xinjiang's commitment to the protection of traditional ethnic culture," Sakalasooriya said.

malaysia:

quote:

"I was impressed by the performance of the Twelve Muqam," said Afdah Bin Mujap, a director of the Sunshine Daily of Malaysia. "The culture and language of ethnic groups in Xinjiang have been well protected."

thailand:

quote:

Supachai, a journalist with the Economist newspaper of Thailand, said, "I am impressed by the great efforts China has made in the fight against terrorism and radicalization," adding that China's measures in the regard are very effective.

global times pulled quotes

quote:

During the trip, the Global Times found that some of the foreign reporters described Xinjiang’s economic development as “vibrant economy” and “bustling economy” especially when visiting local markets and commercial scenic spots such as the International Grand Bazaar in Urumqi and the ancient city of Kashi

canada:

quote:

Donovan Ralph Martin, CEO of the Canada-based Daily Scrum News, was among the ones regarding the regional economy as “bustling.” He told the Global Times that he would describe Xinjiang as “more than developing” to those who have never been to the region.

belgium again

quote:

The development of Xinjiang is fast, as the progress can be reflected everywhere from new houses, cars to people’s clothes and shops, Frank Willems, editor of the Chinasquare website based in Belgium who also visited Xinjiang for the second time since 2008, told the Global Times.

indonesia:

quote:

The BRI may put Indonesia in a prominent position in global trade, supported by its large population and rich mineral resources, Aditya Hadi Pratama, a senior business writer from the Jakarta Post, told the Global Times. He added that he understands Xinjiang plays a significant role in the BRI and it is the front door to connect China with other regions in the West.

iran:

quote:

Xinjiang is a colorful region full of cultural, religious and ethnic diversity, said Mohammad Reza Noroozpour and Maryam Farhang, two journalists from Iran.

phillipines:

quote:

Mussolini Sinsuat Lidasan, a columnist from the Davao Sun Star News in the Philippines, encouraged people to visit places like Xinjiang and experience the rich culture and traditions in Xinjiang and how they were able to combine economic development and traditions, instead of believing the fake news or so-called academic “experts.”

and finally, lol at oz being called out by nz:

quote:

Iati Iati, a senior lecturer in Politics and International Relations from Victoria University of Wellington from New Zealand, said that certain Western media is putting out a false narrative about Xinjiang as to the motives for [smearing China], and he strongly believes that is geopolitical.

“I think they work in conjunction with certain Western governments who are afraid of the rise of China economically, especially with the BRI,” he said.

revealing ourselves to be america's biggest bitch is really something. also the ABC sent the our washington bureau chief because we have no reporters left in china.

raminasi posted:

i don't think he was lying about the student misreporting, but i also don't think that five minutes of scattered disparagement on youtube is enough to dismiss every accusation ai has made w/r/t xinjiang as cia fabrications, even when provided by these trustworthy guys:

you haven't even said what the AI accusations are

you asked a question about AI and HRW and I gave you examples of how they don't give accurate assessments.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
seems bad

https://hellgatenyc.com/mayor-adams-crushed-columbias-protests-after-meeting-billionaires

Apr 7, 2003

There are no alternatives left to our current systems, so our rulers are no longer interested in playing nice.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

There are no alternatives left to our current systems, so our rulers are no longer interested in playing nice.

also i didnt notice that sports morning show unlistenable doucheweasel colin dunlap made the hop to kdka to be an even more insufferable shitbag lol

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

also i didnt notice that sports morning show unlistenable doucheweasel colin dunlap made the hop to kdka to be an even more insufferable shitbag lol

He was removed from the morning sports show because he got into a fistfight with his cohost

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

He was removed from the morning sports show because he got into a fistfight with his cohost

is boxing not a sport?!!?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
oh, it's one of those questions

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

not an option sorry

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol awesome, i hope chris mack got a couple good shots in

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
On Friday evening, Giuliani tweeted a taunting message and photo of himself surrounded by smiling friends. “If Arizona authorities can’t find me by tomorrow morning,” he wrote in a now-deleted tweet, “1. They must dismiss the indictment; 2. They must concede they can’t count votes.”

Hours later, Giuliani was served notice of the indictment.

Giuliani is expected to appear Tuesday for an arraignment in Phoenix unless he is granted a delay by the court.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Roosevelt posted:

On Friday evening, Giuliani tweeted a taunting message and photo of himself surrounded by smiling friends. “If Arizona authorities can’t find me by tomorrow morning,” he wrote in a now-deleted tweet, “1. They must dismiss the indictment; 2. They must concede they can’t count votes.”

Hours later, Giuliani was served notice of the indictment.

Giuliani is expected to appear Tuesday for an arraignment in Phoenix unless he is granted a delay by the court.

lmao owned

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

served during his 80th birthday party :(

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Roosevelt posted:

served during his 80th birthday party :(

good, i hope it completely ruined his day

he brought it on himself while being (mostly, i mean, he is 80 lol) well aware that what he was doing was illegal

the guy used to be a hotshot federal prosecutor. there's no way he didn't, and he can't even chalk it up to senility since he's been ratfucking since like 2006

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Roosevelt posted:

On Friday evening, Giuliani tweeted a taunting message and photo of himself surrounded by smiling friends.

lol

Pim: gee mr giuliani, I don't know if that tweet was such a good idea!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hit him with the ol process server popping out of a cake. many such cases

Apr 7, 2003

He'll skate

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Beeftweeter posted:

and he can't even chalk it up to senility since he's been ratfucking since like 2006

well before that. nothing will happen to him, though, since he's a part of that crew

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

post hole digger posted:

hit him with the ol process server popping out of a cake. many such cases

happy birthday mr america's mayor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
they'll never find me at my birthday party, said man posting a photo from his birthday party