Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

bobkatt013 posted:

Also people in sting masks might be sting in disguise

They may also be fans running into the main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bad Wolf posted:

My favorite thing, that I only learned because OSW Review pointed it out, is that when they'd head to the ring together, Luger would be all smiles and high-fiving fans until the second Sting turned his back, then he'd go back to a classic heel entrance, only to revert to face if Sting happened to glance back at him.

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/778586830014906369

Takuan
May 6, 2007

That's the kind of morally complex, 'shades of gray' storytelling Vince Russo claimed for years he was trying to do but never once succeeded in.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

So my wrestling friends and I are planning a night of beers and the worst of the worst from 1999/2000 era WCW. What do you recommend, my good internet wrestling friends? Preferably matches/segments rather than full shows (I'm looking at you New Blood Rising). Also, anything involving Beetlejuice is mandatory viewing, my buddy has a thing for him.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

lmfso

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I feel like its been a while since I've seen a truly great promo. I know Cena and Braun have had some standout moments for me this year but what are some great 2017 promos? Non-WWE stuff would be appreciated

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

chris daniels had an awfully good pretaped promo before his roh title win. callihan has had a couple good ones in aaw. thats all i got

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

chris daniels had an awfully good pretaped promo before his roh title win. callihan has had a couple good ones in aaw. thats all i got

Is the Daniels one the same as the one before he and Kaz lost the tag belts or a different one? Because if it's different, the tag one is good too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

schweens posted:

I feel like its been a while since I've seen a truly great promo. I know Cena and Braun have had some standout moments for me this year but what are some great 2017 promos? Non-WWE stuff would be appreciated

Enzo had two very good promos back-to-back on Raw and whichever PPV that was I can't remember there's so many please someone help.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

schweens posted:

https://twitter.com/NotThatTomGreen/status/909193614672240640

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

juventud guerrera screams that even when he's not near a crowd though

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dias posted:

Enzo had two very good promos back-to-back on Raw and whichever PPV that was I can't remember there's so many please someone help.

those promos, and especially Enzo not wearing merch while doing them, were honest to god great babyface fire promos that no one but Dean can really deliver in modern wwe. even cenas great work lately has relied on some kayfabe breaking and fan service, Enzo just went out there and crushed it, completely within the "rules".

it's a shame he's such a poo poo wrestler.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

those promos, and especially Enzo not wearing merch while doing them, were honest to god great babyface fire promos that no one but Dean can really deliver in modern wwe. even cenas great work lately has relied on some kayfabe breaking and fan service, Enzo just went out there and crushed it, completely within the "rules".

Dean's promos from the time he built up to the title win (like honestly two years' worth, any time he was chasing the title) through the Dolph feud were so, so good. People forget it, but it was amazing work.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

His promos through the late ‘14 feud with Rollins were universally great. He could bring the fire, or he could squirt mustard in Joey Mercury’s face and throw sauerkraut around, and either way it would be great and get over huge with the crowd

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Dean's promos from the time he built up to the title win (like honestly two years' worth, any time he was chasing the title) through the Dolph feud were so, so good. People forget it, but it was amazing work.

That promo he cut after Seth turned on the Shield was also incredible, just going out there and talking in detail about all the ways he was going to rearrange Seth's face. The language was clean and kid safe, yet at the same time, managed to be visceral and get across exactly how pissed off he was.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
This picture is incredibly sad. 20 people there?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Someone a page or two back mentioned how Vince cancelled a Blair Witch parody gimmick because he'd never heard of it and assumed nobody else had. We've all also heard about how he stopped Paul Burchill's pirate gimmick because he hadn't heard of Pirates of the Caribbean and didn't understand why a pirate would be a babyface. Are there any other examples of Vince nixing an idea because he didn't understand what it was referencing?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Sandman McMahon posted:

So my wrestling friends and I are planning a night of beers and the worst of the worst from 1999/2000 era WCW. What do you recommend, my good internet wrestling friends? Preferably matches/segments rather than full shows (I'm looking at you New Blood Rising). Also, anything involving Beetlejuice is mandatory viewing, my buddy has a thing for him.

The San Francisco 49ers match between Booker T and Jeff Jarrett has both Beetlejuice and peak-2000 WCWisms.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenny Angel posted:

Someone a page or two back mentioned how Vince cancelled a Blair Witch parody gimmick because he'd never heard of it and assumed nobody else had. We've all also heard about how he stopped Paul Burchill's pirate gimmick because he hadn't heard of Pirates of the Caribbean and didn't understand why a pirate would be a babyface. Are there any other examples of Vince nixing an idea because he didn't understand what it was referencing?

One of the writers has said Vince saw the movie and wanted a pirate but he didn't want that kind of pirate.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Isn't there a story about Vince not knowing what a burrito is or something? It might not be a burrito, but something like that. Help me out here.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

tnimark posted:

Isn't there a story about Vince not knowing what a burrito is or something? It might not be a burrito, but something like that. Help me out here.

He eats steaks and ketchup wrapped in tortilla everyday and didn't realize he was essentially eating a burrito.

MassRafTer posted:

One of the writers has said Vince saw the movie and wanted a pirate but he didn't want that kind of pirate.

That's the story I've heard as well. He wanted more of a Jean Pierre Lafitte style character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

shiksa posted:

The Cass break-up angle just killed him, it's sad to say. They booked him to act like a heel and Cass to act like the face while delivering the reverse in terms of promos and I still have no idea why.

This is amazing.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

tnimark posted:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Scott hall tells a pretty good story about pulling the razor Ramon character together last minute with a Tony Montana impression, and Vince loving it, having never seen Scarface before.

also I think it was max Landis? was working as a writer and was watching something on a flight, I think he said some stand up comedy or something, and Vince was like "why are you watching that? we've got comedy, we've got santino!" his sole consumption of media seems to be his own wrestling product, which is both kinda admirable and bonkers.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jenny Angel posted:

There's a story about Metallica wanting to play at a PPV and Vince nixing the idea because he didn't want some no-name band performing. I think that's how the story went, anyway.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

shiksa posted:

Scott hall tells a pretty good story about pulling the razor Ramon character together last minute with a Tony Montana impression, and Vince loving it, having never seen Scarface before.

also I think it was max Landis? was working as a writer and was watching something on a flight, I think he said some stand up comedy or something, and Vince was like "why are you watching that? we've got comedy, we've got santino!" his sole consumption of media seems to be his own wrestling product, which is both kinda admirable and bonkers.

Freddie Prinze Jr

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That's the story I've heard as well. He wanted more of a Jean Pierre Lafitte style character.

And he especially wanted Burchill to just be a pirate, rather than a guy who was dressing and acting like a pirate.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Love that juice

Dias posted:

Forgot about these. Enzo killed it. It's a shame he's such a poo poo worker

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yeah that Daniels promo was excellent. I looked up some of Sami's and he's so entertaining. Dude should have been a star in NXT. I'm happy he's flourishing back on the indies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

Vince goes to the movies fairly frequently, or at least he did as of a few years ago.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The Cass break-up angle just killed him, it's sad to say. They booked him to act like a heel and Cass to act like the face while delivering the reverse in terms of promos and I still have no idea why.

because cass big

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
It just occurred to me that I am so glad they got rid of BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s horrible reverse choke slam in exchange for the always awesome running power slam. The Running Power Slam is fourth in my list of Good Wrestling Moves

1) eye poke
2) back rake
3) Figure Four Leg Lock
4) Running Power Slam
5) Hold up legs by the feet and head butt/elbow the "stomach"
6) Atomic Drop
7) Reverse Atomic Drop
8) off the top-rope double ax handle
9) foreign object in the pants
10) unknown powder blown into face

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Vince goes to the movies fairly frequently, or at least he did as of a few years ago.

is there a dollar theater outside of wwe headquarters that only plays movies like 3 years after their release date because that would explain a lot.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Platypus Farm posted:

It just occurred to me that I am so glad they got rid of BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s horrible reverse choke slam in exchange for the always awesome running power slam. The Running Power Slam is fourth in my list of Good Wrestling Moves

1) eye poke
2) back rake
3) Figure Four Leg Lock
4) Running Power Slam
5) Hold up legs by the feet and head butt/elbow the "stomach"
6) Atomic Drop
7) Reverse Atomic Drop
8) off the top-rope double ax handle
9) foreign object in the pants
10) unknown powder blown into face

No dick shot in the top 10? Get the gently caress out of here

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not to mention a distressing lack of log roll takedowns, hypnotism, and the apportation of an opponent's underwear.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Not to mention a distressing lack of log roll takedowns, hypnotism, and the apportation of an opponent's underwear.

He put powder on there instead of mist. What a jabroni

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

What about that thing where a guy is seated on the mat and his opponent jumps over him from behind, grabbing his head and dragging it forward. Also the Lady of the Lake. List is some bullshit, all I'm saying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think that was called "Cattle Branding," at least when the West Texas Rednecks did it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

schweens posted:

Heidi Lovelace/Ruby Riot cut a really good promo for her last match in Chikara as part of this year's secret season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ZUKU1lgSw

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mr. Perfect always managed to make that rolling neck snap look like death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

schweens posted:

This year's G1 press conference was pretty great.