Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

crepeface posted:

you haven't even said what the AI accusations are

you asked a question about AI and HRW and I gave you examples of how they don't give accurate assessments.

"Amnesty International believes the evidence it has collected provides a factual basis for the conclusion that the Chinese government has committed at least the following crimes against humanity: imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental rules of international law; torture; and persecution." it's possible that the hundred interviews they cite are lies or misinterpretations or fabrications, but most of the responses to the allegations take the shape of "well i walked around xinjiang and didn't see anything bad" and "china is just fighting extremism," neither of which i find particularly compelling. neither would fly as a justifiable response to cpb atrocities on the united states' southern border, for example.

i don't think that the true morality of china's xinjiang policy is going to be hashed out in Your Operating System Is A Piece Of poo poo. i'm just saying that "oh china is doing some bad stuff there" isn't just some slogans circulating through affiliates of Definitely Not The CIA Inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

raminasi posted:

"Amnesty International believes the evidence it has collected provides a factual basis for the conclusion that the Chinese government has committed at least the following crimes against humanity: imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental rules of international law; torture; and persecution." it's possible that the hundred interviews they cite are lies or misinterpretations or fabrications, but most of the responses to the allegations take the shape of "well i walked around xinjiang and didn't see anything bad" and "china is just fighting extremism," neither of which i find particularly compelling. neither would fly as a justifiable response to cpb atrocities on the united states' southern border, for example.
lmao the AI report literally has a drawing of the "prison photo" that was actually from a drug rehab centre.

the OIC, UN, scores of foreign journalists, tourists and residents disagree. characterising this as "most of the allegations are just guys walking about" is your myopic interpretation of casually scrolling your feed with big scary drawings.

quote:

i don't think that the true morality of china's xinjiang policy is going to be hashed out in Your Operating System Is A Piece Of poo poo. i'm just saying that "oh china is doing some bad stuff there" isn't just some slogans circulating through affiliates of Definitely Not The CIA Inc.

don't post about it if you don't want to talk about it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's good that they removed aziz elkun's father from the list

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXBIeKpUq_c

https://twitter.com/xinjiangalex/status/1611694939313930241

this is the kind of poo poo that passes as evidence

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

crepeface posted:

they'll never find me at my birthday party, said man posting a photo from his birthday party

total impunity feels really good, so i can imagine why he does it. anyway, let me know when he's convicted of anything

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think he'll eventually get jailed for contempt. he's been delaying providing his financial info to like 2 or 3 different judges for almost a year now, one of them will probably get fed up and jail him for it because he's never gonna turn it over

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson is a cia double agent

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Beeftweeter posted:

i think he'll eventually get jailed for contempt. he's been delaying providing his financial info to like 2 or 3 different judges for almost a year now, one of them will probably get fed up and jail him for it because he's never gonna turn it over

lol k

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rudy's done. he's broke, old, drunk, and a laughingstock. trump started hating him as soon as the hair paint started running down his face at that press conference. he's been hung out to dry and the courts will have their way with him soon enough.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

if he hadn't been mayor during 9/11 id say he's hosed

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Roosevelt posted:

On Friday evening, Giuliani tweeted a taunting message and photo of himself surrounded by smiling friends. “If Arizona authorities can’t find me by tomorrow morning,” he wrote in a now-deleted tweet, “1. They must dismiss the indictment; 2. They must concede they can’t count votes.”

Hours later, Giuliani was served notice of the indictment.

Giuliani is expected to appear Tuesday for an arraignment in Phoenix unless he is granted a delay by the court.

for someone who built his career on being a big law man, this betrays a pretty big misunderstanding of the law. this is like a seven year olds level of understanding

if they cant serve him, the AZ AG can just ask the court for an extension, or an alternative way to serve him
if its clear that rudy is actively ducking the process servers, almost all courts will allow service by letter (or maybe even email these days?)

i think the court is going to grant a delay, though. having an 80 year old appear on the other side of the country with two days notice is a bit much. its rudys own fault, so i can also imagine (and hope) that the judge doesnt grant the delay and issues an arrest warrant. the world needs to see ny state troopers pull him out of his bed and put him on a plane in his pyjamas and shackles

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

keep in mind you can only be jailed for contempt under a judge's order (instead of having an indictment and trial) for a maximum of 2 weeks in nyc iirc

i know he's in similar trouble elsewhere too (georgia among others) and they might have different laws about it but it's too drat early for me to look them up lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Roosevelt posted:

rudy's done. he's broke, old, drunk, and a laughingstock. trump started hating him as soon as the hair paint started running down his face at that press conference. he's been hung out to dry and the courts will have their way with him soon enough.

yeah, i get the sense that the MAGA orbit is even done with him. trump wouldn't pay any of his bills and just threw him one half-assed fundraiser where he got like 3% of what he needed or something iirc

they're gonna throw him under the bus in georgia too (separately from rudy's other case lol), whenever that trial finally gets started

so while i don't think he's gonna get any serious time i think he'll probably end up in jail (as opposed to prison). plus if he does get convicted and the sentence is long enough (and he hasn't detoxed from the booze) there's a decent chance he could die in prison, he's pretty clearly not very healthy lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

americas mayor is a criminal? that doesnt sound very american

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

americas mayor is a criminal? that doesnt sound very american

well it's not uniquely american anyway. nyc isn't exactly a small town but it's still local government, and that can be (and usually is) a hotbed of corruption pretty much anywhere

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Remember the second borat movie, where Rudy was drinking whiskey out of a rocks glass filled to the brim for lunch?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EricBauman posted:

for someone who built his career on being a big law man, this betrays a pretty big misunderstanding of the law. this is like a seven year olds level of understanding

if they cant serve him, the AZ AG can just ask the court for an extension, or an alternative way to serve him
if its clear that rudy is actively ducking the process servers, almost all courts will allow service by letter (or maybe even email these days?)

i think the court is going to grant a delay, though. having an 80 year old appear on the other side of the country with two days notice is a bit much. its rudys own fault, so i can also imagine (and hope) that the judge doesnt grant the delay and issues an arrest warrant. the world needs to see ny state troopers pull him out of his bed and put him on a plane in his pyjamas and shackles

he's in florida, or at least he was when the birthday party was going on (and it's not his birthday until may 28, actually). i could see the palm beach county sheriff's office, which is who would be carrying out something like that here (i happen to be in the same county atm but pretty far from palm beach itself) not extraditing him though. ultimately it'd be up to ron desantis and he might want to make a big show of it

otoh he probably hates rudy so maybe not, idk. if he's back in nyc he's screwed, they'll just put him on the next plane or charter one if there aren't any flights lol

e: whoops for some reason this time i thought he was in trouble in NC, not AZ. which, yeah, is kinda the other side of the country, or close to it anyway. even so, they can just forcibly throw him on the next plane over and add that to the huge pile of debt he's never gonna pay a penny of

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 19, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
e: see above edit

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 19, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Remember the second borat movie, where Rudy was drinking whiskey out of a rocks glass filled to the brim for lunch?

i didnt watch that movie.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh for fucks sake

i know it's tempting to immediately point fingers at israel here but remember that helicopters are ridiculously unsafe to begin with, so they may actually have had nothing to do with it

but they probably did

e: gift link https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/19/world/middleeast/iran-president-helicopter-crash.html?unlocked_article_code=1.tE0.TgDD.6cPKhsGwn5up

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 19, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

yeah, then he pulled his gross old dick out

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

crepeface posted:

lmao the AI report literally has a drawing of the "prison photo" that was actually from a drug rehab centre.

the OIC, UN, scores of foreign journalists, tourists and residents disagree. characterising this as "most of the allegations are just guys walking about" is your myopic interpretation of casually scrolling your feed with big scary drawings.

don't post about it if you don't want to talk about it.

i just don't think conversation will be productive because we consume media in such fundamentally different ways that we don't really share an epistemic point of departure. for example, i don't think that state-owned propaganda organisms can be trusted to refute allegations against the state that owns them, but you do - most of your pull quotes and responses come from entities controlled by the cpc. even for non-state-owned stuff, we make wildly different trust decisions. i, for example, would never think to trust or cite or these guys:

the daily scrum news posted:

The organization believes not all news positively contributes to society. That is why it dedicated a whole day to not covering any of the daily tragic shootings in America. Instead, the organization used its platform to play a day filled with the most positive Youtube videos about life and happiness for our readers’ mental health. The organization must shape the world it wants for children and tomorrow’s leaders, and if they are to do that, it will lead by example.

The Daily Scrum News deploys cutting-edge technology to ensure all anchors can each speak 48 languages. They’ve been in the Metaverse for years. They are the first news agency in North America that uses Digital Synthetic Human Polyglots as our main news anchors to report the daily news.

even your own statements have a relationship with truth that i find inscrutable, e.g. claiming that the UN doesn't think there are human rights violations happening, when the ohchr report concluding the precise opposite is trivially findable.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i've got no dog in this fight but i'll just note one problem with UN assessments: because the composition of the many subgroups, organizations, committees, etc. within it are extremely variable, they can and often do come to wildly different and sometimes completely contradictory conclusions

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Beeftweeter posted:

i've got no dog in this fight but i'll just note one problem with UN assessments: because the composition of the many subgroups, organizations, committees, etc. within it are extremely variable, they can and do come to wildly different and sometimes completely contradictory conclusions

yeah fully agreed, which is why i didn't originally bring it up. but "the UN thinks everything is fine" is just not true.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raminasi posted:

yeah fully agreed, which is why i didn't originally bring it up. but "the UN thinks everything is fine" is just not true.

yeah, it's a pretty big problem though. like, even if it weren't mostly toothless, the UN is effectively paralyzed by those kinds of geopolitical divides within its various councils, committees, etc.

obviously it'd be a far more effective organization if it were able to at least sometimes reach a consensus, but i also realize that's basically by design, so unless we (speaking extremely generally, globally, now) get serious about actually making it an effective body, having no other real alternatives, we're not gonna solve any globally relevant issues through it

which obviously sucks hard because we do have some globally relevant extremely pressing issues that need to be resolved asap

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

raminasi posted:

i just don't think conversation will be productive because we consume media in such fundamentally different ways that we don't really share an epistemic point of departure. for example, i don't think that state-owned propaganda organisms can be trusted to refute allegations against the state that owns them, but you do - most of your pull quotes and responses come from entities controlled by the cpc. even for non-state-owned stuff, we make wildly different trust decisions. i, for example, would never think to trust or cite or these guys:

state owned propaganda organisms lmfao. did you get from a NED think tank? if the last 6 months of western media coverage of gaza didn't make you question their coverage of anything geopolitically related then you're brain dead.

and my quotes are literally from foreign journalists who publish in their home countries. i literally had to run some through a language translator. are the insidious celestials controlling them?

quote:

even your own statements have a relationship with truth that i find inscrutable, e.g. claiming that the UN doesn't think there are human rights violations happening, when the ohchr report concluding the precise opposite is trivially findable.

we've gone from genocide to cultural genocide to crimes against humanity to human rights concerns.

did you actually read the report or just the title? i didn't read it, but i did see this summary of it by jaq james who's gone through these kind of reports before: https://www.cowestpro.co/papers.html

so did this old guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAj89rm-GkM

btw the fact that michelle bachelet was pressured into retiring by the US even before the report was released should tell you how unsatisfied they were with the report. here's another CIA media cutout (that quotes someone that ACTUALLY tortured uyghurs in guantanamo bay):

https://www.voanews.com/a/un-rights-chief-is-urged-to-resign-after-china-visit-/6602561.html

quote:

In a May 28 press conference, Bachelet emphasized that her trip to China was not an investigation but an opportunity to discuss human rights issues with senior officials and "pave the way" for continued talks. She then praised China for its work on poverty and gender equality.

quote:

On Wednesday, the U.S. Congressional-Executive Commission on China said in a tweet that Bachelet failed to speak on behalf of "repressed Uyghurs" and urged the U.N. rights chief to release a report on Xinjiang and "speak honestly" at the next U.N. human rights session about how Uyghurs are being treated in China. "Barring that, she should be replaced when her term expires in September."

crepeface fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 19, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
so i actually did read the (first 22 out of 48 pages of) the OHCHR report, and they're basically concerned about people being detained and subject to it for a variety of things that the chinese government defines as "extremism", which they find overly broad and not within the spirit of traditional anti-terrorism operations because they don't have the qualifier "violent"

they also criticize the "re-education" camps, their security measures and increasingly comprehensive surveillance

i stopped reading at that point because i've got a monster headache, but a simple search for the word "genocide" within the PDF doesn't yield any results

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

crepeface posted:

state owned propaganda organisms lmfao. did you get from a NED think tank? if the last 6 months of western media coverage of gaza didn't make you question their coverage of anything geopolitically related then you're brain dead.

see, this is what i mean. if you consider "china daily is part of the cpc's propaganda system" tendentious (let alone mockworthy) then we aren't even really speaking the same language.

quote:

we've gone from genocide to cultural genocide to crimes against humanity to human rights concerns.

did you actually read the report or just the title? i didn't read it, but i did see this summary of it by jaq james who's gone through these kind of reports before: https://www.cowestpro.co/papers.html

so did this old guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAj89rm-GkM

btw the fact that michelle bachelet was pressured into retiring by the US even before the report was released should tell you how unsatisfied they were with the report. here's another CIA media cutout (that quotes someone that ACTUALLY tortured uyghurs in guantanamo bay):

https://www.voanews.com/a/un-rights-chief-is-urged-to-resign-after-china-visit-/6602561.html

you brought up the UN, not me. i only mentioned the report to respond to the claim that the UN doesn't think anything bad is happening. (for the record, the first sentence of the "Overall assessment" section is "Serious human rights violations have been committed in XUAR in the context of the Government’s application of counter-terrorism and counter-'extremism' strategies.")

it's provided some great onion-peeling, though, because now we've seen that your trusted report-summarizer is a fellow traveler with larouchites. plus "jerry," from "jerry's take on china."

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

This wasn't my main takeaway from his scene lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

quiggy posted:

gotcha, wasn't sure if he was coming after my impossible burgers

don’t give them any ideas though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Beeftweeter posted:

again though, while they're certainly treated poorly in comparison to the general (han) population, i don't think it constitutes genocide unless you accept the extremely lib definition of it being essentially "cultural erasure", i.e. without killing people. which i do not: to me, "genocide" inherently means killing. some people might say that's splitting hairs, but i don't think so

I strongly suggest you discuss this issue with some Native American friends

I get wanting to use specific terms for specific things (genocide for killing, ethnic cleansing for forced migration, cultural erasure for forced assimilation and oppression of a people’s own culture, etc.) but these things are all very, very related to each other

my wife’s grandfather, like a great many people of his generation, was forced to attend a boarding school “to beat the Indian out of him” (as it was phrased then, “civilize” him) where he couldn’t use his native name or language or practice his peoples’ customs or religion

this was all part of the attempt to eliminate them as a distinct people—you know, genocide

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i trust china more than america because china makes way more trains and i'm autistic.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

raminasi posted:

China is still a single-party autocratic state with significant limits on freedom of speech, association, and political participation

which, let’s be clear here, is bad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eminent DNS posted:

This wasn't my main takeaway from his scene lol

cohen said his comms went down in the closet in the front of the suite so he had no idea what was going on outside. it came back on and he saw him leading her to the bedroom (rudy thinks she's 15 or something like that, btw) and decides it isn't safe for her for anymore. by the time he was able to run around to the bedroom, rudy laid on the bed and started pulling his dick out. he was ready to gently caress a fifteen year old.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

I strongly suggest you discuss this issue with some Native American friends

i have, one of my best friends is a lawyer that specializes in tribal law. he doesn't agree either, he thinks the explicit culling of the various tribes (including his own, the eastern band of cherokees) was genocide, but that "cultural genocide" is not "genocide", because they are two distinct concepts

eschaton posted:

my wife’s grandfather, like a great many people of his generation, was forced to attend a boarding school “to beat the Indian out of him” (as it was phrased then, “civilize” him) where he couldn’t use his native name or language or practice his peoples’ customs or religion

this was all part of the attempt to eliminate them as a distinct people—you know, genocide

his paternal grandfather had the same thing done to him. they viewed it as basically "being forced to act like white men", (and being in the south, [e: even his dad's generation, some 30-ish years later by which time attitudes towards native americans had softened somewhat, also] routinely had the poo poo beat out of them in american public school regardless), but at the same time never actually gave up on practicing their tribal rituals or customs, and would hide writing in cherokee language. so, despite the american government's best efforts, their culture wasn't erased — they couldn't break them. the multiple attempts to eliminate them as a distinct people through mass killings were certainly genocide, but neither i nor he would agree with your definition: his dad (so, his grandfather's son) is now on their tribal council. if they were to agree, then i suppose there'd be no need for one, huh?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 19, 2024

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

eschaton posted:

China is still a single-party autocratic state with significant limits on freedom of speech, association, and political participation

which, let’s be clear here, is bad
Is it? The government has a 90% approval rating.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

The CCP directs the state to support the construction of mosques and Xinjiang and temples in Tibet, and uyghur/tibetan language stuff in schools, but the American democratic process has largely (like until relatively recent history) resulted in extremely negative outcomes for indigenous cultures in the US, so I'm going to give this one to the insidious see see pee

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Also plumbing, electricity, and telecommunications connectivity lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it’s all good until someone says “Tibet should be its own country and we should start a political party which advocates for that”

but hey they have indoor plumbing and aren’t slaves to the lamas so what’s a complete lack of self-determination?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Is it? The government has a 90% approval rating.

does it actually though, or is that filtered through a lens of which opinions on which topics are allowed to be expressed in which situations?

honest question

my understanding is that there’s plenty of stuff that can be said in conversation with friends and family and even cops and party members that can’t be put in a newspaper editorial, printed and distributed in a leaflet, shouted from a megaphone on the street, or otherwise advocated for in public

Putin has an 85% approval rating and Kim Jong Un’s is 100%, what’s the reality versus what people say when asked because there are real risks to saying anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lol like we here in america have self determination