Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd still love to see what the light looks like when it hits the film/sensor.

I mean, it has to produce something. Whether it's a recognizable image or not is irrelevant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I would imagine that at some point the DOF is so thin that it's nearly nonexistent.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
If I hear one more human being ask how to "turn off the shutter sound", I'm going to eat a shotgun.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Link

did some googling on the Super-Q Gigantar, kinda disappointed to hear it was a bit of a joke.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Trambopaline posted:

Link

did some googling on the Super-Q Gigantar, kinda disappointed to hear it was a bit of a joke.

quote:

In 1966, when Canon had just introduced its 50mm f/0.95 and the entire photo industry seemed very attractive on paper chasing primates but not very useful on a practical level, ...

That's my favourite opening sentence ever.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Menorah on Fire posted:

If I hear one more human being ask how to "turn off the shutter sound", I'm going to eat a shotgun.

Wouldn't shooting using live-veiw eliminate most if not all of the shutter sound?

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

AceClown posted:

Wouldn't shooting using live-veiw eliminate most if not all of the shutter sound?

What? It would create MORE noise. Mirror up shutter open to LV. Shutter close, mirror down when you fire the shot, then both re open and close for the actual exposure. So you have now doubled the total amount of noise made. At least this is how it is on Nikons.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Evilkiksass posted:

What? It would create MORE noise. Mirror up shutter open to LV. Shutter close, mirror down when you fire the shot, then both re open and close for the actual exposure. So you have now doubled the total amount of noise made. At least this is how it is on Nikons.

That's how it is on the old Nikons, like the D700, I think in the newer ones the mirror just stays up.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Canon has a 'silent shoot' option that primes the mirror so it only slaps down and returns more slowly/quietly. I've never used it, but I think that's the general idea behind it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FYI mirror boxes fold up outta the way.

On Nikons silent mode just waits for you to let go of the release to drop the mirror and recock the shutter.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Shmoogy posted:

Canon has a 'silent shoot' option that primes the mirror so it only slaps down and returns more slowly/quietly. I've never used it, but I think that's the general idea behind it.

It's actually a bit more than that. Essentially it combines an electronic first curtain with a mechanical second curtain.

quote:

Many Canon DSLRs with the “live-view” feature have an interesting feature. They can eliminate the need for a mechanical first shutter curtain by using “a unique high-speed scanning and electronic reset system that accurately mimics the... high-speed mechanical shutter operation. It synchronizes with the mechanical 2nd-curtain shutter to obtain a slit exposure.” In addition, the way live-view has been incorporated in these camera bodies the exposure can be initiated while in “live-view” without any mirror motion. As a result, an exposure can begin with absolutely no mechanical movement at all, and thus no vibration. The exposure is concluded by the closing of the mechanical second shutter curtain. After the exposure there will be some mechanical movement in the camera but this obviously can not effect the exposure (with the possible exception of a continuous “burst” of successive pictures).

Canon documented this feature with the 40D, 50D, 5DII, and 7D. They promoted it as “silent-mode”. Although not documented by Canon, this same feature (electronic first shutter curtain) is also found in the Rebel XSi/450D, Rebel XS/1000D, and Rebel T1i/500D. With these camera’s it is always “on” and there is no “silent-mode” to enable or disable.
http://krebsmicro.com/Canon_EFSC/index.html

It provides a significant decrease in shutter shake.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Just came here to say jigsaw puzzles are a lot easier when you use the chromatic aberration in the photo as a way to gauge the position of each piece (center vs. near-corner) :D

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Photo Nerd Trap: Sprung

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gambl0r posted:

Just came here to say jigsaw puzzles are a lot easier when you use the chromatic aberration in the photo as a way to gauge the position of each piece (center vs. near-corner) :D

I tried to do the sky/cloud sections of a puzzle last week that was a painting.

It was the slowest puzzle I have ever attempted, it was easily 250 pieces that all looked exactly the same and another 200 that were blue/white. None of the tricks that work on photograph puzzles were of use. :argh:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

These photos of Hitler and his Nazi Germany look like they were stills taken from a movie: http://flic.kr/s/aHsju3iVA5

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

alkanphel posted:

These photos of Hitler and his Nazi Germany look like they were stills taken from a movie: http://flic.kr/s/aHsju3iVA5

Holy poo poo you're not joking, these are awesome. I love seeing poo poo like this, especially when most of our visuals from WW2 are predominately B&W.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Huh is that post colour or did they have colour film then?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

A5H posted:

Kodachrome was released in 35mm in August 1936. Professional sizes (120 and up) were introduced in September 1938. It's also possible that high-profile photographers (like Hitler's personal photographer might have been) got pre-production film for testing and marketing purposes, although that is nothing but speculation on my part. There was quite a bit shot through the WPA, and much of it is available through the Library of Congress.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 27, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

A5H posted:

Supposedly these photos are taken on Afgacolor Neu film, invented by German Afga in 1936 and very similar to Kodachrome as well. Hence the first time I looked at the photos I was thinking they were shot on Kodachrome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty amazing how looking at color photos from pre-1060 make everything look like a still from a movie set.

It just doesn't look "right" unless it's black and white.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

ShadeofBlue posted:

Why stop at f0.4?

The Carl Zeiss Super-Q Gigantar, 40mm f0.33.

It doesn't produce an image, it was a one-of built in response to people bitching about Zeiss making slow lenses. Supposedly it is impossible to build a lens faster than f0.5 that actually produces an image.
Pfft, I made a f0.1 in my basement but it doesn't produce an image either :smug:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How can a lens be considered to have a focal length if it's incapable of focusing an image? A big plate of glass would be f/0.0000001 if we just look at the amount of light coming through.

\/\/\/ Good point. I'm still confused as to how a lens can be considered to have a focal distance (and therefore an aperture expressable as f/number) if it doesn't form an image at that distance.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 27, 2012

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

ExecuDork posted:

A big plate of glass would be f/0.0000001 if we just look at the amount of light coming through.

Other way around, it would be infinite. Focal length is determined by the distance from lens to the image when you have a collimated light source; since the light through a plane wouldn't change direction the image would be an infinite distance away, thus the focal length is infinite. As the Aperture (or size of the plate) is finite, so it would be expressed as f/infinity.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

hmmm the new title makes sense

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone have the link to that story on how a lot of media conflict photographs are staged? I wanted to show someone but can't find it for some reason :(

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone have the link to that story on how a lot of media conflict photographs are staged? I wanted to show someone but can't find it for some reason :(

This?
http://whowhatwhy.com/2011/10/16/media-manipulation-are-conflict-photos-staged/

I just searched "conflict photo staged" and like a billion things came up but they all point to that viddler video.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
http://www.petapixel.com/2011/10/04/an-eye-opening-look-at-how-many-conflict-photos-are-staged/

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/the_ritual.php Here's another video about "staged" photojouranlism

I thought I'd also add this TED talk fom James Nachtwey who is an awesome photojournalist. http://www.ted.com/talks/james_nachtwey_s_searing_pictures_of_war.html

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 27, 2012

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I remember reading something about a photographer that staged some photos of a Palestinian (Israeli? Iraqi?) officer amid some ruins after an earthquake (bombing?) that ended up on the cover of Newsweek. I think that 'officer' ended up being an actor, or just some guy with an official-looking uniform, posing heroically on rubble.

I also remember reading that the photo of a half-burned teddy bear in the rubble of a burned house is the go-to cliché for local news photographers.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

On the flip side here's some of the most insane footage I've ever seen in Syria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyQIv5wyYGE&feature=share

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

East Lake posted:

On the flip side here's some of the most insane footage I've ever seen in Syria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyQIv5wyYGE&feature=share

The guy filming that has balls of steel. Christ, that's terrifying and sad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks guys. For some reason I kept trying dumb complex google searches instead of just typing "conflict photos staged" in :downs:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

alkanphel posted:

This picture is incredible

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

A5H posted:

There was also a type of color film in the Russian Empire before the revolutions of 1917, but the technology was apparently lost during the chaos.

See some examples here:
http://russianculture.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/old-russia-in-color-the-photographs-of-sergei-prokudin-gorsky/

e: See below for more correct explanation.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 27, 2012

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DanTheFryingPan posted:

There was also a type of color film in the Russian Empire before the revolutions of 1917, but the technology was apparently lost during the chaos.

See some examples here:
http://russianculture.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/old-russia-in-color-the-photographs-of-sergei-prokudin-gorsky/

It's not film and the technology wasn't lost. It's merely a three-color separation on glass plates, which are combined and projected together. The same idea also underlaid Techicolor (with film obviously).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A comment on one of those Nazi pictures mentioned that it's supposedly an early Agfa color negative film. Take that for what you will. It'd make more sense than Kodak at least.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

QPZIL posted:

A comment on one of those Nazi pictures mentioned that it's supposedly an early Agfa color negative film. Take that for what you will. It'd make more sense than Kodak at least.

Yeah it's Afgacolor Neu. The Prokudin-Gorskii survey was shot on magic lantern glass plates though, which is a bit different. I looked it up, it's actually not on 3 plates like I thought.

quote:

Prokudin-Gorskii created his negatives by using a camera that exposed one oblong glass plate three times in rapid succession through three different color filters: blue, green, and red. For formal presentations, he printed positive glass slides of these negatives and projected them through a triple lens magic lantern. Prokudin-Gorskii would project the slide through the three lenses, and, with the use of color filters, superimpose the three exposures to form a full color image on a screen. (For more illustrations of Prokudin-Gorskii's methods, see the "Making Color Images" section of the exhibit, The Empire That Was Russia.)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nokia are bringing out a phone with a 41 megapixel camera. Lmao.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

A5H posted:

Nokia are bringing out a phone with a 41 megapixel camera. Lmao.

I came to post this but forgot. It's pretty hilarious, this ridiculous interpolation they're doing to generate a 41MP image. I get the selling point, but it's all more than a bit silly.

That being said, the sample images they're providing are really quite good, for a cameraphone:

No doubt they've likely been touched up, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's not film and the technology wasn't lost. It's merely a three-color separation on glass plates, which are combined and projected together. The same idea also underlaid Techicolor (with film obviously).

Yep, and this image illustrates it well because the plates were misaligned during shooting:

http://russianculture.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/reshotka-river-next-to-the-village-of-reshota-on-the-canals-axis-from-the-southwest.png