Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

That has to be a troll post. Even during the Attitude era, RAW was never a threat to Monday Night Football. Since when was the NFL "sorta tanking" when or after RAW started in '93? The NHL was starting to gain some pretty good momentum in the US before the first lockout in '94, but it has never been close to eclipsing the NFL.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
RAW has done one rating ever that was better than the ABC version of Monday Night Football's worst rating ever over the course of their decades long runs (these ratings were many years apart and there was never even a close head-to-head), and because of the difference between the number of homes the viewership numbers weren't even close even on RAW's best weeks versus MNF's worst weeks. Also football has never significantly suffered on television at all ever as a result of anything, since its introduction as a televised sport in the 1950s.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Roger Goodell, the hero of football and architect of its triumph.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Guys let us not get too caught up in the death of the NFL and glorious rise of the XFL, I need more glorious reminders of the clusterfuck that was the Time Warner in the late 90s.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Guys let us not get too caught up in the death of the NFL and glorious rise of the XFL, I need more glorious reminders of the clusterfuck that was the Time Warner in the late 90s.

They merged with AOL.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

Vader was on Boy Meets World twice, then. Because I definitely remember reading about him being on Boy Meets World and beating up Jake Roberts in WWF Magazine.

He was in at least two. There's the one where Cory joins the wrestling team and then another where Frankie wants to win over his dad (Vader) and Shawn and Cory try to help him do that at a WWF house show but Cory has to run back and forth the whole night because it was Topanga's birthday or something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Toffile posted:

They merged with AOL.
And now they own Batman. How is this a bungle? It's not like they let Ole introduce Chiropteraman.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Are you trying to tell me that Jim Ross lied to me on a weekly basis about more people watching Monday Night RAW than Monday Night Football?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

And now they own Batman. How is this a bungle? It's not like they let Ole introduce Chiropteraman.

Time Warner has owned Batman for like 45 years.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

coconono posted:

Are you trying to tell me that Jim Ross lied to me on a weekly basis about more people watching Monday Night RAW than Monday Night Football?

Son, JR lied about a lot of things...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LordPants posted:

I still don't know what the hell his retirement/non-renewal of his contract is all about.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

LordPants posted:

"I'm not a racist, but"

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

coconono posted:

Maybe he was referring to total, worldwide numbers. Do more people watch Raw or the NFL, globally?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Rad R. posted:

Maybe he was referring to total, worldwide numbers. Do more people watch Raw or the NFL, globally?

More people watch the NFL on a single Sunday in the United States than watch Raw every week of the year, around the world, combined.

That's probably an exaggeration, but not a super huge one.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

It should be noted that the Giants will be facing the Vikings on MNF very shortly, so RAW may have a chance :v:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Fauxhawk Express posted:

It should be noted that the Giants will be facing the Vikings on MNF very shortly, so RAW may have a chance :v:

I think ESPN could show Eli Manning and Christian Ponder defecating on the field (literally, not their usual figurative ways) and they'd get a higher number than what RAW pulls these days.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Fauxhawk Express posted:

They should be able to beat it, assuming they get a time machine to pull the Rock, Goldberg and Steve Austin from 2001 and let them team against the Mega Powers and Ultimate Warrior from 1989.
Then market the absolute hell out of it in the next few days.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigT posted:

It's hard to believe or remember but the nfl was sorta tanking at the time. The only real reason why nfl took off was because hockey and basketball were retarded and kept trying to lockout and be stupid. Basketball was way bigger at the time but due to weird tv contracts and the league being dumb as hell nfl took over.

Love him or hate him roger Goodall took nfl to new heights and ill say it. He took modern football to the height it is now.

Let me tell you about a couple of guys named Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Meltzer screwed us over this week, he decided to give us a complete history of New Japan Pro Wrestling and live reviews of the 96 G1 instead of our beloved WCW quotes. All we got were some tidbits about the Can Ams, Waltman and some French Canadians debuting soon.

Meanwhile tonight I'm showing the go home shows for WCW Halloween Havoc 96. The final build up to Hogan vs Savage (as mandated by Slim Jims) will be on the air, some of it filmed from the set of 3 NINJAS HIGH NOON AT MEGA MOUNTAIN. Jericho will be there, Malenko will be there, Liz will be there and ROADBLOCK WILL BE ON THE SHOW.

ROADBLOCK FOLKS!

On top of that I will be making tonight's pre show and intermission the Sgt. Slaughter Iraqi Sympathizer variety hour.

Tune in at 7:30 for Sarge and 8 for Nitro!

http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He did say the the feud between Shawn and Cornette is over. :lol:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Goog posted:

More people watch the NFL on a single Sunday in the United States than watch Raw every week of the year, around the world, combined.

That's probably an exaggeration, but not a super huge one.

Do you mean across every game? But yeah no loving way regardless.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you buy NFL's 16 million views a game, times that by the number of games a week then you're getting pretty darn close (assuming raw does 4 million a show). But NFL's 16 million views a game is suspect.

edit: Here we go, last year they claimed 105 million watched week one games.

So more people watch(ed) NFL in a week then watched raw in 6 months.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am still kind of stunned by how bad WCW was last night. The two go home shows for Halloween Havoc 96, the show with the biggest singles match of the year so far in WCW was built up with a dozen boring, plodding matches that should have been squashes and the most disturbing storyline we've seen out of Nitro so far.

The nWo has taken Miss Elizabeth hostage. She makes a tearful video begging Randy to take her back, apologizing for everything she's done, etc. Savage flips out and leaves the building, walking out on his match. The nWo then brings Liz to the ring and cuts a promo on Savage while intimidating her.

The next week Savage has another match scheduled, Hogan cuts a promo from the set of 3 Ninjas HIGH NOON AT MEGA MOUNTAIN in his ridiculous costume and hairpiece from the movie and once again intimidates Liz. Savage, dressed as one of the Strangers from Dark City freaks out, says some stuff and walks out. What Savage said struck me as disturbing but I was so sick of these shows by the time it aired that I can't even tell you what he said. Eric Bischoff stood there looking shocked. This was the end of the go home show. Somehow more people watched these shows than Raw.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I am still kind of stunned by how bad WCW was last night. The two go home shows for Halloween Havoc 96, the show with the biggest singles match of the year so far in WCW was built up with a dozen boring, plodding matches that should have been squashes and the most disturbing storyline we've seen out of Nitro so far.

The nWo has taken Miss Elizabeth hostage. She makes a tearful video begging Randy to take her back, apologizing for everything she's done, etc. Savage flips out and leaves the building, walking out on his match. The nWo then brings Liz to the ring and cuts a promo on Savage while intimidating her.

The next week Savage has another match scheduled, Hogan cuts a promo from the set of 3 Ninjas HIGH NOON AT MEGA MOUNTAIN in his ridiculous costume and hairpiece from the movie and once again intimidates Liz. Savage, dressed as one of the Strangers from Dark City freaks out, says some stuff and walks out. What Savage said struck me as disturbing but I was so sick of these shows by the time it aired that I can't even tell you what he said. Eric Bischoff stood there looking shocked. This was the end of the go home show. Somehow more people watched these shows than Raw.

Star power frequently outdoes creative prowess, and WWE lacked both at the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Star power frequently outdoes creative prowess, and WWE lacked both at the time.

Those shows didn't even have star power, after the main event build the biggest star was Luger, and he was in two squashes. Granted one of them was amazing with Roadblock being too fat to rack two times in a row, leading to Luger shrugging and hoisting him up the third time, but these shows were... ugh.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Those shows didn't even have star power, after the main event build the biggest star was Luger, and he was in two squashes. Granted one of them was amazing with Roadblock being too fat to rack two times in a row, leading to Luger shrugging and hoisting him up the third time, but these shows were... ugh.

The nWo was hot at the time though, and they appeared on the first one. That matters, even if they didn't do much.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MassRafTer posted:

The best thing is how in the future he joins the NWO.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

If you buy NFL's 16 million views a game, times that by the number of games a week then you're getting pretty darn close (assuming raw does 4 million a show). But NFL's 16 million views a game is suspect.

edit: Here we go, last year they claimed 105 million watched week one games.

So more people watch(ed) NFL in a week then watched raw in 6 months.

Okay, that I'd buy. But not a year. I reeeeally doubt 16 mil/game though. Especially for teams like the Jaguars :haw:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

I had to look at wikipedia to find out who the hell roadblock was. He's had some weird ring names, including 'Golden Terrier' and 'The Mummy'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_D%27Acquisto

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Say Nothing posted:

I had to look at wikipedia to find out who the hell roadblock was. He's had some weird ring names, including 'Golden Terrier' and 'The Mummy'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_D%27Acquisto

Did the Mummy look like a Yeti?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
He missed a golden opportunity by not being called the Yummy Mummy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Grendels Dad posted:

Did the Mummy look like a Yeti?

I think you mean "THE YET-AY"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just remembered that we get to look forward in a few months about hearing strange goings on from an ECW house show...

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 20, 2013

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Huh... I was at one of those shows, the first one I think. In any case, any of the backstage stuff was not shown to us in the live audience, so we were basically all completely lost, I had to watch the rerun when I got home to figure out what had happened. No wonder they went down the shitter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bad go home show be gone, let's think only of the show tomorrow:

HALLOWEEN HAVOC 1996!

This show was set in stone back in January of 96, where in a weird promo Hogan and Savage agreed to have a world title match... but only if it was at the MGM Grand in Vegas. WCW had come to an agreement with Slim Jims and the MGM Grand to run a PPV there with that sponsorship... but only if that was the main event. Even with the Hogan heel turn months later the main event still made sense, so here we are!

Main Event for the WCW World Championship
"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs "Hollywood" "Hulk" Hogan

For the WCW World Tag Team Championships
The Outsiders vs Harlem Heat

Lex Luger vs Arn Anderson

Mongo and Benoit vs The Faces of Fear

For the WCW World Cruiserweight Championship
Dean Malenko vs Rey Mysterio Jr

Syxx vs Chris Jericho

For the LORD OF THE RING RING
Eddie Guerrero vs Diamond Dallas Page

The Giant vs Jeff Jarrett

That's a pretty loaded line up folks. None of the usual weird meaningless midcard matches you'll see on most WCW PPVs. Several matches that promise to be good, one that is required to be great. On top of that I promise you major happenings on this show! Major things will occur!

You'll also get styrofoam graves and spooky green lighting with smoke and stuff. It all comes down tomorrow at 8 PM http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

I wanted to do a dumb fake Nitro party post for this PPV but I got lazy. So instead I made a wacky dish to celebrate (and mostly because I wanted Nachos and can't have them because of a dairy allergy.)

(NOT SO) MACHO VEGETARIAN NACHOS

Macho Man has been feeling pretty emo these days with Elizabeth kidnapped by the nWo. He's not going to do macho things like eat meat or cheese.

Ingredients:
Your favorite tortilla chips
Refried Beans
Guacamole
Newman's Own Peach Salsa (it is fantastic)
Daiya non soy non dairy cheese (or real cheese if your body isn't broken)
sliced black olives

Heat your oven to 350, then place your chips with cheese on top of them in the oven to melt. Once melted add the beans, salsa and guacamole with some olives on top. It's really good! Thanks Randy!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I only have mozzarella Daiya and have to settle for Nitro Party Pizza. :wcw:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Slight change of plan as the Daily Motion playlist was taken down but we'll have the main matches from Havoc 96 starting at 8!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Slight change of plan as the Daily Motion playlist was taken down but we'll have the main matches from Havoc 96 starting at 8!

Can you guys do like an hour later one of those weeks? IIRC by 8 you mean 8 Eastern Time, and I get off work at 9:30 Eastern Time (I'm over in the west coast). So far I have missed all of these magical PPVs and most of the Nitros.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Did I stumble into some posts from last week or was Nitro moved to Thursday and then back within a few hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Did I stumble into some posts from last week or was Nitro moved to Thursday and then back within a few hours?

You stumbled into posts from last week, Havoc starts in half an hour. Naitch just hooked me up with the full PPV too!