Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You could get him a little jumper, my nan made mine but this one has good reviews https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMGU-Swea...puppy+jumper+xs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I had the same problem with my puppy a few months ago; when I picked her up the weather for most of her first two weeks was -30 celcius outside. My wife and I just had to live with the messes until it finally became warm and we could leave her outside for much longer until she did her business. For us it just took some extra time.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Maybe try keeping him on a leash the whole time he's outside? That way you can reinforce peeing immediately and can tell how much he has peed. Walk him around the garden, it'll get his insides going a bit and he'll find interesting places to pee. He may find an area that he prefers to stick to. I ended up having to do this because I don't have a fenced yard, but it has worked out fairly well. Dry food can work as a reward, although usually not as well as treats. He'll like them better if he's hungry.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
My wife and I just adopted a 10-week-old Shih Tzu this past weekend, and she's been doing pretty well so far: she's eating well, she's peeing and pooping outside or on the pee pads with only a few accidents. We have the kitchen blocked off with a crate (which I'm still working on getting her acclimated to), her bed and blanket, a pee pad, and a water bowl. With our schedules, the Shih Tzu is alone 2-3, max 4 hours at a time; I'm still looking into dog walkers.

Question: What's the best way to work on separation anxiety? She whines and barks when I leave, then she settles down and seems to chill in her bed. I don't find anything destroyed when I come home, even when she wiggled out of her gate initially. At night, we spend time with her near her bed until she dozes off, then we go to bed in another room. She tends to wake up around midnight barking to find out where we are, but then calms down if I spend some time with her. I even slept next to her bed on the floor for an hour and she slept the next 5 hours.

How badly am I screwing up?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
We are doing a trial period with Lily who we got from a local rescue. She is a cute dog about 9 months old but super scared, especially of me. She likes the 6-year-old kid it seems, we have to get him to lead her outside to take care of business.

What I know about her past is that her litter was found abandon in a ditch so they probably hadn't had much human interaction. After she was found they were taken a 'farm' where 12 dogs were mostly outside alone for a couple weeks. Then Lily was taken to a local foster family where she was spayed and with them about a week before coming to us.

She seems like such a sweet dog completely ignores the cat, loves the kid, so I am trying to find the best way to make the dog come around on me. I know that it will take some time (it's only been a couple days) but is there anything specific I can do to help the process along? So far I have been giving her some treats and making our interaction as low stress as possible for her.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If she will walk with you on leash, even if her body language is still terrified, going for a walk of at least a mile at the same time each day will help. Particularly if it's just the two of you, since it's a chance to be close without physical or eye contact. Put her in a harness if she pulls on a collar.

Treats and training will also help her associate good things with you.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

dalstrs posted:

We are doing a trial period with Lily who we got from a local rescue. She is a cute dog about 9 months old but super scared, especially of me. She likes the 6-year-old kid it seems, we have to get him to lead her outside to take care of business.

What I know about her past is that her litter was found abandon in a ditch so they probably hadn't had much human interaction. After she was found they were taken a 'farm' where 12 dogs were mostly outside alone for a couple weeks. Then Lily was taken to a local foster family where she was spayed and with them about a week before coming to us.

She seems like such a sweet dog completely ignores the cat, loves the kid, so I am trying to find the best way to make the dog come around on me. I know that it will take some time (it's only been a couple days) but is there anything specific I can do to help the process along? So far I have been giving her some treats and making our interaction as low stress as possible for her.

Chicken jerky. Delicious chicken jerky. You'll probably want to try some yourself.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
My dog started peeing near the outside door in a high traffic area. This started because he'd wake me up in the middle of the night and I'd end up crashing on the couch, usually after taking him outside. I'm a lot more careful now, but sometimes he just pees there. It's at the interval of once every few days, just long enough to make me think that things are going back to normal or whatever idea I'd come up with like keeping him out of the area during dinner/when everyone comes home is working, but it's self-reinforcing pattern now. Do I just reinforce with a bunch of treats immediately after peeing and keep him on a leash whenever he's in that room for a few weeks? Is there something that'll make him less interested in that one spot in particular? He's fine everywhere else. The other thing is....he used to scratch at his collar to make a jingling noise when he needed to go. I'm not sure if I trained him or he trained me on that one, but that behavior seems to mostly extinguished.

This is a stupid problem that should have never happened and it's entirely my fault.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You need to get some dog piss repellent/cleaning spray. Someone did an experiment where they had a dog piss on a sofa that was outside. They left the sofa for 8 weeks in the sun and rain and brought the dog back. Dog could still smell his own marker and promptly marked the exact same spot. Until you completely obliterate the smell in that spot, he will probably keep going there no matter what other training stuff you do.

Get down to Lily's level dalstrs, big human scary and large, little human small and has high pitched non-threatening voice. Lay down on the floor with treats and toys and raise the pitch of your own voice and act like a complete nana, she may not respond to this right away but it will soon click that you aren't a threat.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

learnincurve posted:

Get down to Lily's level dalstrs, big human scary and large, little human small and has high pitched non-threatening voice. Lay down on the floor with treats and toys and raise the pitch of your own voice and act like a complete nana, she may not respond to this right away but it will soon click that you aren't a threat.

For some shy dogs acting silly will backfire on you. I've had better luck using calm, predictable movements. Some cases at the shelter I'd grab a book, a bunch of treats, then go sit in their run, face about 90 degrees away and read, intermittently scattering treats. Within a few sessions most dogs warmed up enough to come take treats from my hand, at which point I could transition to training pretty easily.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

learnincurve posted:

Engineer Lenk posted:

For some shy dogs acting silly will backfire on you. I've had better luck using calm, predictable movements. Some cases at the shelter I'd grab a book, a bunch of treats, then go sit in their run, face about 90 degrees away and read, intermittently scattering treats. Within a few sessions most dogs warmed up enough to come take treats from my hand, at which point I could transition to training pretty easily.

I've been mostly doing this, giving some treats, laying on the floor next to her, and a lot of just ignoring her so she gets used to me. Good to know there isn't much else other than time.

allfinereallfit
Apr 28, 2013
Hi all. We just adopted a new shelter dog last week and we're having some problems with him getting along with our old dog.

Winston is our new dog, he's about 4 years old and he's a dachshund. Harley is our old dog, he's also 4 years old and he's a dachshund/corgi/something mix. We've had Harley for a year, he's also adopted. They're both neutered, house trained, etc. We've had Winston for exactly a week.

The main problem is that Harley seems to be pretty jealous of Winston. He avoids us when Winston is around and mostly just mopes when we're not paying attention to him. Winston on the other hand seems to like Harley. He likes to get in Harley's face and be near him and tries to play with him. I don't think Winston is trying to be aggressive to Harley or anything like that, he doesn't growl or bite and he seems, like I said, like he's trying to play with him. Sometimes Harley will growl at him and walk away when he does this, but sometimes they do run around and play together.

I guess my main question is what can I do to help them get along better. Harley is usually a super friendly dog so I think just having a new dog in the house all of a sudden is throwing him off. What can I do to encourage them to get along better? Is there anything I can do to get Winston to leave Harley alone sometimes? Should I just give it more time?

Thanks! And here's some obligatory pictures of the boys:

Winston: http://imgur.com/0LDrJDB
http://imgur.com/0HlB8OP
Harley: http://imgur.com/NPlQBSY

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

HobbitGrease posted:

My wife and I just adopted a 10-week-old Shih Tzu this past weekend, and she's been doing pretty well so far: she's eating well, she's peeing and pooping outside or on the pee pads with only a few accidents. We have the kitchen blocked off with a crate (which I'm still working on getting her acclimated to), her bed and blanket, a pee pad, and a water bowl. With our schedules, the Shih Tzu is alone 2-3, max 4 hours at a time; I'm still looking into dog walkers.

Question: What's the best way to work on separation anxiety? She whines and barks when I leave, then she settles down and seems to chill in her bed. I don't find anything destroyed when I come home, even when she wiggled out of her gate initially. At night, we spend time with her near her bed until she dozes off, then we go to bed in another room. She tends to wake up around midnight barking to find out where we are, but then calms down if I spend some time with her. I even slept next to her bed on the floor for an hour and she slept the next 5 hours.

My puppy is hitting the 10 week mark and had this problem at first. From your last paragraph it sounds like you might be responding to the whining/barking. It has taken three weeks of a strict routine to almost totally get rid of this problem for me, but basically if they are crying you have to just wait it out and only approach them when they have been silent for a while. I usually waited a minute or two after total silence to even let my puppy see me if he has been barking. Had a tussle or two with the girlfriend over this since it can be real easy to give in at 4 am when they are constantly crying for 15 minutes. Worth it to have total silence all night after a week or less, though.

If you are taking them out regularly, including scheduling a potty trip a few hours after you first go to bed, then you should not have to worry about them needing to go the bathroom, etc. The problem is even if they are alerting you that they have to pee, they are also learning to make that noise to get what they want. Better that you schedule pre-emptive potty times. It will probably also help to try and exhaust the puppy with lots of play so that they don't have pent-up energy and want to whine so you come play. It's better to wake up once or even twice in the night than to have a puppy whining at max volume because they want to come out or pee. At this point, I put him to bed at 11:30, wake up once take him out at 3 and then he is good through the night.

Might as well tack one some update photos of Chomsky at week 10! He is now over four pounds and more inquisitive than ever : ).

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 14, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Incredulous Dylan posted:

it can be real easy to give in at 4 am when they are constantly crying for 15 minutes.

Ours whimpered and fussed for about 4 hours straight one night before we said screw it and let her sleep in bed with us. We've (mostly) mitigated issues like being destructive, barking/howling/crying and using the bathroom due to fear by crate training, but I think that's more due to her going semi catatonic due to abject terror than anything else.

I really need someone to come yell at me and to do this right from time to time so that she's a happier pup overall.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

My dog just got back from a 3 day stay at a dog daycare/kennel and she's started taking 6-7 soft poos per day. I'm guessing she has some kind of stomach bug, but she acts normally otherwise. This was her first extended stay away from us, so it could be stress related, but I'm not sure. Just wait it out or what?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

various cheeses posted:

My dog just got back from a 3 day stay at a dog daycare/kennel and she's started taking 6-7 soft poos per day. I'm guessing she has some kind of stomach bug, but she acts normally otherwise. This was her first extended stay away from us, so it could be stress related, but I'm not sure. Just wait it out or what?

Did her food change for the stay? Could just be aftereffects of that.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Engineer Lenk posted:

Did her food change for the stay? Could just be aftereffects of that.

We left some food and there was some left over after we picked her up, so I don't think they used anything else.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
meh sorry.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 15, 2017

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Could be stress, or giardia.

Keep an eye on it.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

Incredulous Dylan posted:

My puppy is hitting the 10 week mark and had this problem at first. From your last paragraph it sounds like you might be responding to the whining/barking. It has taken three weeks of a strict routine to almost totally get rid of this problem for me, but basically if they are crying you have to just wait it out and only approach them when they have been silent for a while. I usually waited a minute or two after total silence to even let my puppy see me if he has been barking. Had a tussle or two with the girlfriend over this since it can be real easy to give in at 4 am when they are constantly crying for 15 minutes. Worth it to have total silence all night after a week or less, though.

If you are taking them out regularly, including scheduling a potty trip a few hours after you first go to bed, then you should not have to worry about them needing to go the bathroom, etc. The problem is even if they are alerting you that they have to pee, they are also learning to make that noise to get what they want. Better that you schedule pre-emptive potty times. It will probably also help to try and exhaust the puppy with lots of play so that they don't have pent-up energy and want to whine so you come play. It's better to wake up once or even twice in the night than to have a puppy whining at max volume because they want to come out or pee. At this point, I put him to bed at 11:30, wake up once take him out at 3 and then he is good through the night.

Might as well tack one some update photos of Chomsky at week 10! He is now over four pounds and more inquisitive than ever : ).

Yeah, we've been noticing lately that if we shut her up in the crate and have it next to the bed that she'll get up at night more to use the bathroom. Last night, she seemed to be fine just being gated off in the kitchen with her pee pad and she only got up once because she was teething. Maybe she's getting used to us being in a different room? We're going to try gating her off tonight.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
My Wolfhound is a very messy eater. It isn't that he's a fast eater but he picks up his head and looks around while he's munching and throws food all over the place in the process and doesn't tend to clean up after himself. Any tips?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

My Wolfhound is a very messy eater. It isn't that he's a fast eater but he picks up his head and looks around while he's munching and throws food all over the place in the process and doesn't tend to clean up after himself. Any tips?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tree Dude posted:

My dog takes a mouthful, spills it on the floor and then eats it from there. I have no advice. I find it kind of amusing, and she always cleans up her mess.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

I mean... he's almost large enough...

edit:

The lighting wasn't great but I snapped a picture of him surrounded by his foodbits

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 20, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A Baaaaall!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Our pup (I will add pictures soon!) has started stepping up his biting/chewing hands and feet game, and it's getting to my partner quite a bit as there doesn't seem to be a way to calm him down reliably. It's mainly when I'm at work and she's at home with him- she's tried the usual things i.e. distracting him with a toy, letting him out in the garden to run around and tire himself out, leaving the room etc. The toy is a bit hit and miss, sometimes he will go for it and sometimes he just switches back to going for hands again. Leaving the room calms him while she's out of the room, but as soon as she goes back in he starts up again. She feels guilty putting him into his cage to chill out because she doesn't want him to spend too much time in there but dealing with teething pup is stressing her out and I'm not sure how to help her. Any tips?

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

NtotheTC posted:

Our pup (I will add pictures soon!) has started stepping up his biting/chewing hands and feet game, and it's getting to my partner quite a bit as there doesn't seem to be a way to calm him down reliably. It's mainly when I'm at work and she's at home with him- she's tried the usual things i.e. distracting him with a toy, letting him out in the garden to run around and tire himself out, leaving the room etc. The toy is a bit hit and miss, sometimes he will go for it and sometimes he just switches back to going for hands again. Leaving the room calms him while she's out of the room, but as soon as she goes back in he starts up again. She feels guilty putting him into his cage to chill out because she doesn't want him to spend too much time in there but dealing with teething pup is stressing her out and I'm not sure how to help her. Any tips?

Maybe some chewing sticks/ears, empty cardboard boxes, empty plastic bottles? Or throw around some treats and let him go look for it.

And obvious answer: more exercise.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Make some wet towel/rag rolls and put them into the freezer. Dampen some rags or towells that you dont mind your puppy chewing on. Roll them up and stick them into the freezer. Ours enjoyed chewing on those. Wash and repeat.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Here's a couple shots of my guy looking slightly less pathetic than in the above pic :) his name is Frankenstein and he's almost 11 months old.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Those legs look like someone was really bad with photoshop and just stretched them out. I thought my dog had long legs, holy hell.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Looks pretty normal to me?
Maybe I'm biased

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Verman posted:

Make some wet towel/rag rolls and put them into the freezer. Dampen some rags or towells that you dont mind your puppy chewing on. Roll them up and stick them into the freezer. Ours enjoyed chewing on those. Wash and repeat.

We did this with our puppy and now she wants to eat dishtowels / towels all the time. I don't recommend doing this.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I promised pictures:

Look at his stupid little face.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He's staggeringly pretty and he knows it. Are you going to work him or is he a pet dog?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
We have an otherwise healthy 4 year old boxer female. A few weeks ago, her eating habits drastically changed. She doesn't eat treats or kibble, and is even selective about wet food. We've taken her to the vet twice. First time, they thought it was potentially something with pancreatic enzymes, so she went on a beef / rice / special food diet. She eats the beef, but around everything else and now seems incredible selective. Second trip they did a really thorough examination, poked, prodded, dental exam (since she's avoiding kibble). Next steps are probably expensive and invasive. Her rawhide chew toys, which she usually devours, now only get tossed about and left on the floor.

I know a dog not eating could be many things, but any suggestions would be welcome. The dog isn't lethargic, seems normal otherwise.

I wasn't sure if this was the right thread for such a topic, so if there's a better place, direct me there.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Planet X posted:

We have an otherwise healthy 4 year old boxer female. A few weeks ago, her eating habits drastically changed. She doesn't eat treats or kibble, and is even selective about wet food. We've taken her to the vet twice. First time, they thought it was potentially something with pancreatic enzymes, so she went on a beef / rice / special food diet. She eats the beef, but around everything else and now seems incredible selective. Second trip they did a really thorough examination, poked, prodded, dental exam (since she's avoiding kibble). Next steps are probably expensive and invasive. Her rawhide chew toys, which she usually devours, now only get tossed about and left on the floor.

I know a dog not eating could be many things, but any suggestions would be welcome. The dog isn't lethargic, seems normal otherwise.

I wasn't sure if this was the right thread for such a topic, so if there's a better place, direct me there.

Did the vets check for an obstruction due to rawhide ingestion?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

I stumbled my way into a 16-week old Shih Tzu last week.... Pant legs are another problem -- practically any time I'm walking he's attached to a pant leg, and I don't feel like walking out of the room is a great idea here as it just gives him something to chase until I close the door. I even experimented with spraying bitter apple on my sweats and he just gives no fucks. Any ideas?

I just stumbled on my old post from when I first got Tater and lmao five years later he still pulls this poo poo every so often when he's amped up, only now we think it's hilarious.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Culex posted:

Did the vets check for an obstruction due to rawhide ingestion?

They did, and didn't see anything definitive on an X Ray. Next step is a barium test.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

HobbitGrease posted:

13-14 week pupdate:
She's now sleeping through the night, with the only one barking fit at 5 and 6 AM in the past week and a half due to teething (we think). She's definitely starting to chill out. She's going on the pee pads still and we're getting better about recognizing the signs that she needs to use the bathroom and either taking her out or putting her on the pad. She's starting to use the bathroom outside a little bit, for which we give her a lot of praise. I'm walking her at least 3 times a day. The vet doesn't want us to start socialization or training classes until at least 16 weeks.

Should I be doing anything different for potty training?

Here's a picture of her:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Ive had a couple of shitzus. In hindsight I wish I had spent more time training them when they were puppies. It's too east to just pick them up when they are doing somethings bad.

If I had treated them more like large dogs they would have been better behaved.