Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

shootforit posted:

Do you guys have a recommendation on screen protectors for a 6?
I got a Tech Armor one just cause it was cheap and they have free lifetime replacement. Not as fancy as that BodyGuardz one but eh it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have to say I'm pretty surprised at how few leaks or stupid rumours about iOS 9 have been floating about. Pretty much all I've heard so far is that it'll be mostly about bug fixing and tidying up code for speed improvements, and that Spotlight is getting replaced with an equivalent of Google Now.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Megasabin posted:

Well I recently lost my wallet. Now that I'm done with the annoying part of replacing everything in it, I think I'd like to opt to go slim and just used a iphone wallet case. The only issue is I want to keep as slim a profile on my case as possible still. Anyone have recommendation? Price isn't an issue, and I'd be willing to pay quite a bit if it's nice enough/functional without being bulky.

If you really like slimness, then in my experience nothing is good enough. I have not found a high quality thin iPhone wallet. They are either bulky, or poorly made and don't fit well and then fall apart.

I always go back to my Apple leather case.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

shootforit posted:

I bought the glass one at the Apple Store for like 35 bucks. It's like, onion skin thick and feels just like the phone screen. I have to exchange my phone today because of poo poo under the camera lens (again!), and I'll be buying a second one because it's super good.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

I got a Tech Armor one just cause it was cheap and they have free lifetime replacement. Not as fancy as that BodyGuardz one but eh it works.

Tech Armor is easy to put on, and the ballistic glass feels a lot better than the flimsy platicky ones. Its not very durable though. I've been through 3 of them in the last 7 months. At least Tech Armor keeps sending me free replacements.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Question Mark Mound posted:

Spotlight is getting replaced with an equivalent of Google Now.

If the context aware features (Now on Tap) from I/O work as advertised, then Apple has a lot of work to do if their version is going to be equal.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
When I had an Android phone I thought google now was kind of obnoxious, especially since it tended to serve me "recommended articles" about stuff I had googled maybe once out of curiosity rather than about things I was actually interested in.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

robodex posted:

When I had an Android phone I thought google now was kind of obnoxious, especially since it tended to serve me "recommended articles" about stuff I had googled maybe once out of curiosity rather than about things I was actually interested in.

I'm not sure when the last time you used it was, but Now has improved significantly recently.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I never really tried using Google Now through the iPhone app, but for someone who doesn't drive and doesn't live in a country with Google Maps transit support, what does it really do that's more useful than just glancing at your calendar in the morning?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Super Dude posted:

I'm not sure when the last time you used it was, but Now has improved significantly recently.

That's good to know. I got rid of my Nexus 5 in March and admittedly I had stopped using Now by then, but it's good to hear it's getting better.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

I never really tried using Google Now through the iPhone app, but for someone who doesn't drive and doesn't live in a country with Google Maps transit support, what does it really do that's more useful than just glancing at your calendar in the morning?

Don't bother using Now if you're not on Android. Many of it's best features require deeper integration with the OS than iOS provides.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

If you really like slimness, then in my experience nothing is good enough. I have not found a high quality thin iPhone wallet. They are either bulky, or poorly made and don't fit well and then fall apart.

I always go back to my Apple leather case.

The twelvesouth SurfacePad is pretty decent. Any wallet case is going to add some bulk, but it's pretty minimal and most of it is attributable to the cards I have in it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

I bought the glass one at the Apple Store for like 35 bucks. It's like, onion skin thick and feels just like the phone screen. I have to exchange my phone today because of poo poo under the camera lens (again!), and I'll be buying a second one because it's super good.

If you bought the protector at the Apple Store, they will more than likely give you a new one.

Detroit117
Mar 28, 2012

Wings Of Steel
Can anyone tell me how to fix my friends iphone? She recieved the effective power message and none of the quick fixes I could dig up are working. Thank you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Detroit117 posted:

Can anyone tell me how to fix my friends iphone? She recieved the effective power message and none of the quick fixes I could dig up are working. Thank you.

Use Siri to reply to the message.

http://gizmodo.com/heres-apples-temporary-fix-for-its-iphone-crashing-mess-1707633642

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

shootforit posted:

My Arcadia screen protector for my 6+ feels good and doesn't suffer from the chipping that the Tech Armor ones seem to suffer from.

It's pretty cool how glass screen protectors in general seem to practically install themselves. You just have to align it properly and let it do the rest.

Megasabin posted:

Well I recently lost my wallet. Now that I'm done with the annoying part of replacing everything in it, I think I'd like to opt to go slim and just used a iphone wallet case. The only issue is I want to keep as slim a profile on my case as possible still. Anyone have recommendation? Price isn't an issue, and I'd be willing to pay quite a bit if it's nice enough/functional without being bulky.

Before I settled on the leather case, I was very close to buying this one

e: Their Fletch case is pretty cool too. If you get either, let me know how they are.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

robodex posted:

My favorite Google Now features had to be:

1) Listing my home weather from some Korean named home weather station.
2) Assuming that because I was going to the mall every other week, that it was my place of employment. No option provided to declare that I am a pasty NEET bastard. (Same story with Facebook, though. Site would not loving quit asking me who my employer was until I gave them an answer. I used to go with NoWork, INC, but then some fucker in Los Angeles registered a page with that name and Facebook helpfully linked it to my profile. I have since changed my employer to None and deleted the employer page, but they still helpfully provide me with a permanent coworkers Facebook category, which I only recently renamed from "NOWORK INC" to something else. Can't delete the hard coded categories, though.)
3) Offering to pop up directions to Costco on random days it guessed I was going back there, under the assumption that I would not be able to make it back on my own accord like I did the first N times. Not like I used the navigation feature the last N times, either.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google Now on android remembers where you parked. Wish Siri had that.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

How often do you travel? I can't live without Google now, inbox and calendar. Together they figure out my trips including itineraries and reservations and let me know when to head to the airport to get there on time. It feels like magic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ethereal posted:

How often do you travel? I can't live without Google now, inbox and calendar. Together they figure out my trips including itineraries and reservations and let me know when to head to the airport to get there on time. It feels like magic.

Google Now saved my rear end yesterday when it reminded I needed to leave then if I wanted to make it to a meeting I had forgotten about that was an hour away.

Google Now is incredible because of that.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Megasabin posted:

Tacking on to this to ask if anyone knows of a passable wallet replacement/stand for an iphone plus. I'm about to order this because it seems like the only thing that does all 3 with a clear ID slot, but drat, it just looks so dorky. https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/bookbook-for-iphone-6

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think the bookBook looks nice and I'd probably buy one if I could use it one handed.

As far as slim and stylish goes, there's the Vault http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Wallet-Case-Protective-Midnight/dp/B00N3K42BM

But I don't think there's one with a clear ID slot yet. I mean, if you wanted to be adventurous, you could email a bunch of no-name Amazon manufactuers and sellers to see if they could make a slim case that holds 3 cards and some cash, but have the slot be transparent so when you 1st card (your ID) goes in, it can be seen.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there any way to get an m4r ringtone onto an iPhone without using iTunes? I have a friend who wants me to make a ringtone for her but doesn't own a computer (!!!) to sync with via iTunes.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
You have to plug in to a computer and transfer via iTunes (or some sketch third party app), or be jailbroken. Is she able to use someone else's computer?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Would this app do the trick :

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Last time of tried one of those apps it exports an m4a for you to put into iTunes.

I've just told her she needs to get access to a computer with iTunes she can use. Come to think of it, I wonder if Apple Stores would let you do small phone admin jobs like that since they pushed the whole "post-PC future" thing before.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
If she only wants to get one ringtone on there, one time, it's probably OK. But, let's say she gets the song/sound she wants, gets it converted, loads it onto a computer with iTunes somewhere, syncs the iPhone to that, but then later wants to add another ringtone? If she did it from an Apple store, there's just about no way she's going to be able to sync with the exact same computer again. In the iPod salad days, syncing an iPod with a different computer than the last sync would first wipe all the songs from the iPod. Does iTunes still work that way with iPhone ringtones?

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Okay, so I'm starting to get really pissed off now. My iPhone 5c isn't charging. I thought it was a software issue at first so I restored my phone. That didn't work so I then changed the charging hardware it's self and it's still not working. It keeps saying "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work with this iPhone". I really am at my wits end. I am using a brand new Apple cable and my Apple socket but it's still not working... Does anyone know what I can do as I've been without a phone for 6 days now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Take it to the apple store and tell them about it. They love this poo poo.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Onion Vanguard posted:

Okay, so I'm starting to get really pissed off now. My iPhone 5c isn't charging. I thought it was a software issue at first so I restored my phone. That didn't work so I then changed the charging hardware it's self and it's still not working. It keeps saying "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work with this iPhone". I really am at my wits end. I am using a brand new Apple cable and my Apple socket but it's still not working... Does anyone know what I can do as I've been without a phone for 6 days now.

Clean the lint out of the lightning port. If you think you got it all, check again.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Khablam posted:

Clean the lint out of the lightning port. If you think you got it all, check again.

Well I've replaced the lightning port with a brand new one so I don't think it could be this...

I really don't want to have to take it into an Apple store. Waiting around for 40 minutes after days of waiting for the actual bloody appointment for them to tell me I have to pay an ungodly amount of money to get it fixed.. If there are no other solutions to the problem I will as a last resort.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Onion Vanguard posted:

Well I've replaced the lightning port with a brand new one so I don't think it could be this...

I really don't want to have to take it into an Apple store. Waiting around for 40 minutes after days of waiting for the actual bloody appointment for them to tell me I have to pay an ungodly amount of money to get it fixed.. If there are no other solutions to the problem I will as a last resort.

How did you replace your lightning port?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Why would the name of my iPhone keep changing itself from "iPhone" to "iPhone (x)" where x is a random number between 1 and 16?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Onion Vanguard posted:

Port, not cable.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

tuyop posted:

How did you replace your lightning port?

I took the phone apart and inserted a new one. It's doing exactly what it did before but I have inserted it correctly.

I should mention that a few days ago, the phone would only charge when it was switched off. If that's of any relevance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Onion Vanguard posted:

That's the support model. If your phone has a physical issue the only effective way to get it fixed is have Apple look at it. All you can do without voiding the warranty (and once that warranty is void you're hosed, Apple will never touch it again) is swap the wall outlet, the lightning cable, or clean out the lightning port with a toothpick.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

xzzy posted:

That's the support model. If your phone has a physical issue the only effective way to get it fixed is have Apple look at it. All you can do without voiding the warranty (and once that warranty is void you're hosed, Apple will never touch it again) is swap the wall outlet, the lightning cable, or clean out the lightning port with a toothpick.

My warranty is already void, hence me changing the port myself. I just don't understand what the problem could be, I've essentially done everything I can bar changing the battery however I don't think that'd going to make a difference unless I am mistaken.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It could be a failed component somewhere else in the power circuitry. Without being some kind of electronics expert I'm not sure what else there is to try, unless you can buy more replacement components and just keep at it until it works.

Even without a warranty Apple will replace it, they just charge more for it. But if you already opened it that option is gone.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

If you replaced the port yourself and Apple can tell, you're SOL no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Onion Vanguard posted:

Lol what kind of bait-and-switch post is this? You're pulling your hair out over something you yourself did to the phone? You had to have known people would just say "Take it to fruit stand" if you left out the details of your tinkering initially, which you did.