Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
I have a stupid question that I'm pretty certain I know the answer to.

I'm thinking of buying a t-mobile LG G4 because I have tmobile. I might jump ship to at&t, I'm not certain. Let's say I get the phone unlocked by tmobile and switch to at&t. Will that LG G4 then support at&t's LTE bands? I'm 99% certain the answer is "no, you're limited to t-mobile's bands if you buy a t-mobile LG G4", but I wanted to ask anyway just to know for certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

TheBoyBlunder posted:

I have a stupid question that I'm pretty certain I know the answer to.

I'm thinking of buying a t-mobile LG G4 because I have tmobile. I might jump ship to at&t, I'm not certain. Let's say I get the phone unlocked by tmobile and switch to at&t. Will that LG G4 then support at&t's LTE bands? I'm 99% certain the answer is "no, you're limited to t-mobile's bands if you buy a t-mobile LG G4", but I wanted to ask anyway just to know for certain.

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but I have a question about wireless car chargers. Specifically, I'm hoping to use an Air Dock 2.0 with my Nexus 5 in a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. I've just found out that my accessory charging ports (cigarette lighter jacks) in my car remain on even when the engine is off. I was really hoping to be able to leave my wireless charger plugged in at all times. Having to plug/unplug the charging dock every time I get into the car defeats the entire purpose of a wireless charger. But if my ports are always on, I'm worried that the car battery could drain over night (or a few days if I don't drive for a while). Does anyone have any experience with this? Some people online seem to suggest doing all kinds of electrical mods on the car but I'm wary of doing that. It was a gift so I'm reluctant to have it returned, but I'm pretty worried about how useful this will be. Quite annoyed, I just assumed that at least one of my car's power adapters would turn off with the engine, since my friends with wireless car chargers all have that feature in their cars. Surprisingly there is little information about this online.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="447748647"]
http://www.willmyphonework.net/

That helped! Thanks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MoosetheMooche posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but I have a question about wireless car chargers. Specifically, I'm hoping to use an Air Dock 2.0 with my Nexus 5 in a 2007 Chevrolet Impala. I've just found out that my accessory charging ports (cigarette lighter jacks) in my car remain on even when the engine is off. I was really hoping to be able to leave my wireless charger plugged in at all times. Having to plug/unplug the charging dock every time I get into the car defeats the entire purpose of a wireless charger. But if my ports are always on, I'm worried that the car battery could drain over night (or a few days if I don't drive for a while). Does anyone have any experience with this? Some people online seem to suggest doing all kinds of electrical mods on the car but I'm wary of doing that. It was a gift so I'm reluctant to have it returned, but I'm pretty worried about how useful this will be. Quite annoyed, I just assumed that at least one of my car's power adapters would turn off with the engine, since my friends with wireless car chargers all have that feature in their cars. Surprisingly there is little information about this online.

Why don't you just try it out and see if it's a problem?

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Well I can't return the charger if its opened. Also I won't be able to test if it discharges after multiple days of not driving because I need the car often right now. Plus I don't want to have to get a boost just because I was testing something and it failed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't imagine that the power draw from the charger alone is going to be significant at all. Even if it was running at the full 5 W of the low-power Qi standard (if it's doing this with nothing on it, it's broken), a small car battery should still last for two days.

EDIT: Everything I can find suggests that it's doing absolutely nothing unless there's a device on top. It should be fine to leave plugged in.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 15, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

For some reason, the Motorola video player decided it should be the default player for wmv files on my 2014 Moto X. Problem is that app doesn't show up in the apps list so I can reset its defaults, and it crashes on wmvs. How can I fix this? I want to use MX Player like I do for other video types.

I still haven't found a solution to this.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

hooah posted:

What if you re-install MX Player? It might ask you to set it as default when you open up another WMV file?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

Stop using wmv files.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Stop using wmv files.

Seriously, you know what WMV stands for, right? Ain't a shock Android's confused by it, use a file converter and catch up with us in 2010.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

How are you browsing your video files? I know that Solid Explorer (and I bet ES works too) will let you long press on a video file and "open with" whatever you want. It won't solve your problem, but it'll let you watch your videos.

edit: as to your specific problem, have you tried grabbing a defaults manager out of the play store? I have no idea if those are sketchy or not because I've never had a reason to use them, but you seem desperate.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, I'm just a bozo. Apparently I had missed installing MX Player on my replacement phone. I know it'll stream wmv files just fine; my problem was that the phone didn't want to use the right app. Which now I know is because it couldn't, duh.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

hooah posted:

Well, I'm just a bozo. Apparently I had missed installing MX Player on my replacement phone. I know it'll stream wmv files just fine; my problem was that the phone didn't want to use the right app. Which now I know is because it couldn't, duh.

This is an intervention. Stop using wmv files.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hooah posted:

Run any WMV files you have through ffmpeg and spit out an MP4 file please.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

hooah posted:

Don't forget to download the player for your midi files too. :sparkles:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I store all of my bluray rips in .rm

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Has anyone had any bluetooth issues with a 2013 Moto X? I'm on 5.1 right now, but have had issues with 4.4.4 as well.

It mostly occurs with my Pebble Steel, but also happens with my bluetooth speaker, as well as my car head unit. Happened with my old Pebble as well. Usually requires the device to be restarted, though sometimes it requires bluetooth to be cycled on the phone as well.

Is bluetooth on Android still just totaled hosed? Or did Motorola in particular put poor hardware/drivers in their phones?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Has anyone had any bluetooth issues with a 2013 Moto X? I'm on 5.1 right now, but have had issues with 4.4.4 as well.

It mostly occurs with my Pebble Steel, but also happens with my bluetooth speaker, as well as my car head unit. Happened with my old Pebble as well. Usually requires the device to be restarted, though sometimes it requires bluetooth to be cycled on the phone as well.

Is bluetooth on Android still just totaled hosed? Or did Motorola in particular put poor hardware/drivers in their phones?

I get very occasional issues where bluetooth will just stop working until I restart the phone. It seems to happen every 2 or 3 weeks and I keep my metawatch paired to it 24/7. I'm still on 4.4.4 because of Republic Wireless.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My phone (S6 Edge) is driving me nuts. It may be the recent update, I'm not sure.

Basically, whenever I get a notification, it is then followed up by constant text message alert tones - about 1 a minute - until I clear the notifications bar. The sound played is the text message sound regardless of whether it's an email, text, Whatsapp message etc in the notifications bar (though the initial sound is whatever the normal sound is for the app, so for example when an email comes through I get the email alert, followed by constant text alert sounds until I hit "clear").

I have dropped the phone a number of times, but can't see how it would lead to this, nor can I find anything in settings that might solve it, hence me thinking it might be something to do with the update. But why would they add something so annoying?

Anyone have any idea how to solve it? It's driving me (and my wife) crazy.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 15, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from one of the bike threads in case someone here has an idea:

Is there a recommended way to mount my phone to my bike for GPS and similar? I want turn-by-turn navigation but I won't use it often enough to make it worth buying a ~£150 GPS unit. I have a Whyte Whitehall (flat bar) and my phone is a Nexus 5. Ideally something I can grab from Amazon UK.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

My phone (S6 Edge) is driving me nuts. It may be the recent update, I'm not sure.

Basically, whenever I get a notification, it is then followed up by constant text message alert tones - about 1 a minute - until I clear the notifications bar. The sound played is the text message sound regardless of whether it's an email, text, Whatsapp message etc in the notifications bar (though the initial sound is whatever the normal sound is for the app, so for example when an email comes through I get the email alert, followed by constant text alert sounds until I hit "clear").

I have dropped the phone a number of times, but can't see how it would lead to this, nor can I find anything in settings that might solve it, hence me thinking it might be something to do with the update. But why would they add something so annoying?

Anyone have any idea how to solve it? It's driving me (and my wife) crazy.

Settings -> Accessibility -> Notification Reminder

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don Lapre posted:

I store all of my bluray rips in .rm

There has to be someone out there who actually does this.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Just ordered a Z3 Compact from Amazon's Warehouse Deals outlet for 280 shipped. They're running a 15% discount on all warehouse deals items for "Prime Day" and they had a few in "Used - Very Good: Item will be repackaged" condition. Here's hoping it actually functions when I get it.

Edit: Just kidding! It sold out while I was finishing my order. :argh:

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 15, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IuniusBrutus posted:

It mostly occurs with my Pebble Steel, but also happens with my bluetooth speaker, as well as my car head unit.

You failed to say what the actual issue is!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

The only 'issue' I have with 2013 Moto X, bluetooth, and my car is that I have to wait about 5 seconds after the dash unit is booted up before I can switch to bluetooth audio from my phone or else it goes to USB.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have the M preview 2, and use the NJT app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.njtransit.njtapp&hl=en)

I can't get it to log in with the preview.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Does anyone have the M preview 2, and use the NJT app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.njtransit.njtapp&hl=en)

I can't get it to log in with the preview.

Yeah, just tell me your username and password. I'll tell you if I can get it to work. Also, I hope you like Newark, because you're about to get 500 bus tickets there.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

Crosspost from one of the bike threads in case someone here has an idea:

Is there a recommended way to mount my phone to my bike for GPS and similar? I want turn-by-turn navigation but I won't use it often enough to make it worth buying a ~£150 GPS unit. I have a Whyte Whitehall (flat bar) and my phone is a Nexus 5. Ideally something I can grab from Amazon UK.

I use a Handleband to hold my phone on my top tube when I'm using it for navigation. It was under $15 on Amazon and works well.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
my 2013 moto x occasionally makes a few loud popping noises from the speaker, usually when I unlock it and press a button. It doesn't seem to do it often but its definitely odd when it does. it sounds like a weird impedance problem or a short or whatever.

I'm not super concerned since it doesn't seem to have any effect on the phone and the speaker still works but has that happened to anyone else?

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 15, 2015

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

You failed to say what the actual issue is!

:downs:

It disconnects - sort of. Usually, it will show as being connected, but won't actually function; i.e., Pebble notifications/music controls don't work, or it'll show music as playing through my car or my speaker, but there is no sound. Trusted lock usually - but not always - still works.

It's driving me nuts, which is a shame, since I'd be totally content with the phone otherwise.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Nexus 6 is about to be $400 on Amazon for Prime Day if anyone's interested.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

PurpleJesus posted:

Nexus 6 is about to be $400 on Amazon for Prime Day if anyone's interested.

ffffffff

I really want to wait until the new Nexus phones come out and get a piece of that sweet finger print reader action, but that is a great deal.

edit: already full.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 15, 2015

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

MoosetheMooche posted:

No, it won't be a problem at all, my last two trucks have been Chevy's and I've never had a problem. Right now I have a cigarette plug style fm transmitter with usb port (for charging) and my regular micro usb charger in the other 12v slot. In my last truck I used to have my phone charger plus a SiriusXM radio that I would leave on all day and never had problems starting even after long weekends not driving.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is it me, or did lollipop make it way harder to paste URLs between img tags

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

IuniusBrutus posted:

ffffffff

I really want to wait until the new Nexus phones come out and get a piece of that sweet finger print reader action, but that is a great deal.

edit: already full.
Could say the same thing. $400 is a good deal.

Holding out for a Moto X (2015) or N5 (2015), though.

My N5 just got the preview 2 update. Waiting for it to download now.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
How's the G3? Amazon has some used ones for under $250 and I haven't used any LG phone except the Nexus 5.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

mastershakeman posted:

Is it me, or did lollipop make it way harder to paste URLs between img tags

Just get the URL in your clipboard, and then add the img tags.

E: I assumed you're talking about the Awful app, but I didn't realize what thread I was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Lblitzer posted:

How's the G3? Amazon has some used ones for under $250 and I haven't used any LG phone except the Nexus 5.

Mediocre. Terrible, awful software coupled with a screen too demanding for the SoC. Some QA issues (hairline cracks near microphone and IR). Cyanogen gives you a stable, fairly bug-free UI, which replaces the "mediocre" rating up to a solid "meh, guess it's fine until the N6 sells for 300€".

I wouldn't buy it today for more than 200.