Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Grundulum posted:

I just noticed that the OP recommends the EVGA SuperNOVA GS as a quick-pick PSU. Aren't those inferior to the G2?

Also, the Intel thread had a discussion a few months ago that budget computers were better off using the Pentium chips at $60 than the i3s at $170 -- if you're spending that much on your CPU you might as well spend the extra $50 and get an i5 with four physical cores for $220. Sounded reasonable at the time, but what do the people here think?

I think the Pentium G4560 can probably be considered the budget/value CPU. After that, yea, you should be jumping to the i5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

KingNastidon posted:

Yes, yes. This doesn't look ridiculous. Thanks! Any other changes? What are the good fans to put in this monolith?

The case is already pretty silent but if you want to splurge for the best you can go for a bunch of Noctua NF-A14 PWM for your chassis intake/outtake fans.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

pass the butter posted:

Here we go.

I am about to build 3 new machines. One for my parents, one to be for the wife/family machine, one for myself. As these are all old and I haven't built in awhile boy do I have some dumb questions let me tell you.

Obligatory OP demands:

What country are you in? - Merica
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? - Web/office
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. - Trying to keep under $550 but around there
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? - NO high demands. Turbotax, youtube. Probably some solitaire.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - Maybe some mahjongg. Or skifree who knows, might get wild.

Parents machine - IE dummy office box

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/xgNnTW/budget-homeoffice-build

Wondering if doing the i5 thing is a waste, although if I dumb it down to an i3 the savings isn't much. 2 questions with this system though - do I have some sort of ability to add a cheap graphics card to it, as I would do this for the wifes machine - and do I have to run windows 10 on this thing. I see win7 is still on sale at newegg and man I would prefer that. But it's really old. I told you I had dumb questions.

So for the wife/family box I would build the exact same thing but add some sort of budget video card. My son plays minecraft, so I wouldn't exactly call it a gaming box by any means. Is there anything in that build that would keep that from happening. Power supply seems decent. But I have no idea hence the questions.

---
Gaming rig (kinda)
My current machine is an athlon 6 core 2.8ghz with eight, count em eight gigs of ram. Jealous yet? Oh yeah. Its only redeeming factor is I upgraded the HD to a nice ssd years back. It runs okay. Actually runs the new Doom but at like... 1fps. Maybe. Might be less. It cries a little when I do this to it.

Required nonsense:
What country are you in? - Still Merica
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? - Some photo editing, simple video editing, some gaming would be nice.
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. - Trying to keep under $800 but around there
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? - I'm a woodworker by profession so I hope to not put this thing through the table saw by accident. Well I hope not to. Things happen.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? - I got a pair of 1920x1080 monitors. I would love to be able to play stuff like Doom, Just cause 3 without issue. I don't need ultra3dhd4dadd whatever. Just would like it to not be melting down.

I'm fine with an aftermarket cpu fan but I would prefer not going full reta- I mean water cooler. Should I be looking at a high end i5 or a lower end i7? Or something else.
Don't have a pcpartspicker thing just yet as I'm not sure about the i5 or i7 yet. My apologies for the vagueness there. I'll probably go 16g ram here vs the 8 on the cheaper build above.

Hope that wasn't too painful. Thank you for any advice, definitely trying to keep from shooting myself in the foot with a bad choice on something. Also not legal to do that in the city limits here.

Bumping for new page and no comments yet. Just looking for a couple of pointers. At this point I assume win10 is necessary and Ill just bite that bullet. thanks.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Speed build time! I'll add them to this post. Also, you'll have more luck in this thread with a budget. I priced this as low as responsibly possible.

Parent Computer:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($61.99 @ Jet)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk X400 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($92.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Logisys CS6801BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/350W Power Supply ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $337.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-11 12:13 EST-0500
Unless I'm missing something stupid, this is everything needed including power supply and cpu cooler. Can save 10 bucks by going down to a 2.5SSD of the same type. This one doesn't have room for a video card, but there is similarly priced stuff that does.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 11, 2017

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jago posted:

Speed build time! I'll add them to this post. Also, you'll have more luck in this thread with a budget. I priced this as low as responsibly possible.

Parent Computer:

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($61.99 @ Jet)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk X400 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($92.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Logisys CS6801BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/350W Power Supply ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $337.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-11 12:13 EST-0500
Unless I'm missing something stupid, this is everything needed including power supply and cpu cooler. Can save 10 bucks by going down to a 2.5SSD of the same type. This one doesn't have room for a video card, but there is similarly priced stuff that does.

Personally I'd do something like buy a used Dell Optiplex for parents (done that twice without any problems). Contrary to popular belief, Dells, especially business ones, are built pretty well, because it really fucks up Dell's bottom line to have failing machines with 3 year warranties. That said, I know some people have an aversion to buying used. Quick example found here, with OS

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 11, 2017

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you enjoy building computers do the pcpartpicker, otherwise the Dell does make a lot of sense. I use the bigger ones in a factory setting and they seem to stand up to abuse and dust well.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I've never really not put it together, can you get your own builds put together for your cheaply or is it as a big an expense saver as I assumed.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Hello pieces parts thread, it has been many years since I last upgraded any component of my PC, but the time is nigh upon us. I'm faced with the classic upgrade or replace conundrum.

I know off the bat that any meaningful upgrade will be the vid card and switching over to SSD, but how are we looking for everything else? Could I feasibly get away with just upgrading the vid card and storage now or should I give up the ghost on my trusty monolith?

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
I have a 2500k o/c @ 4.5 with a hyper 212 cooler and I upgraded my gtx670 to a gtx970 I got for free last month.

I too was contemplating a new build but it runs everything fine for me now including battlefield 1 and the for honor beta on all high.

Even with the gtx670 battlefield one was getting 60-90 on med with the occasional dip in the midst of a huge skirmish. The 970 runs all high now with only the occasional dip into the 60s. Average frames in the 80s.

YMMV but o/c the 2500k and GPU upgrade should set you fine. Obviously a SSD awesome too, I got my first 6 months ago and it's been great and now I can put off my new build another year or two.

I just use a 512gb SSD and 1tb HDD for storage and it's plenty for me until my next build.

Just my 2 cents but I feel no serious bottlenecking as of yet in anything I play. Siege/Overwatch/BF1/For honor (beta).

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Tarranon posted:

Hello pieces parts thread, it has been many years since I last upgraded any component of my PC, but the time is nigh upon us. I'm faced with the classic upgrade or replace conundrum.

Exactly the same place as you are: same processor, same amount of memory, same (previous) GPU. As a stopgap I overclocked the processor to 4Ghz since it was a simple task. SSD for OS is the obvious big thing (I recommend getting at least 250 and preferably 500GB, removing stuff because your disk is full is very annoying).

Last year I replaced the 560Ti with a 1060GTX since it looks like I'm sticking with 2x 1080p screens for now. If I had to get a new GPU now I could consider Radeon 480 but I don't trust their drivers anymore.

Next step for me is waiting for Ryzen to come out and see how the whole thing pans out. If there's a reasonably priced model that rivals 7600K/7700K in performance I might upgrade to that. Otherwise I'm probably going to keep this setup because overclocking helped and it looks like I don't play many games anymore. The main thing I would like to get out of upgrade is 32GB memory for work-related stuff.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tarranon posted:

I know off the bat that any meaningful upgrade will be the vid card and switching over to SSD, but how are we looking for everything else? Could I feasibly get away with just upgrading the vid card and storage now or should I give up the ghost on my trusty monolith?

Buy an 850 EVO, size appropriate to your needs and budget.
Buy a 8Gb 480
Overclock the CPU. Start at 4.2 and go up slowly from there.

You'll be set for gaming at 1080p on high, to very high or ultra settings in some games for a couple of years.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
That's three great pieces of advice, thanks a ton. I honestly thought mass consensus would be to just get a new one. These truly are crazy times we live in.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tarranon posted:

That's three great pieces of advice, thanks a ton. I honestly thought mass consensus would be to just get a new one. These truly are crazy times we live in.

CPU performance in general has not improved much since you bought your chip, and it overclocks well enough to make a lot of that back.
On top of that, games are almost always cross platform; this generation of consoles have so-so GPUs but garbage CPUs. Any AAA games that have a game-world requiring massive CPU power therefore haven't come along.
There are a small handful of games that will use a better CPU, but usually in a non-critical way. e.g. it will speed up turns in civ games.

If AMD are as competitive as they look in their "leaks" this might change some, but we're also racing to the limits of silicon.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

If AMD are as competitive as they look in their "leaks" this might change some, but we're also racing to the limits of silicon.

If the leaks are true both price- and performancewise the deal you get from purchasing second-to-best processor is pretty incredible. There's no reason in sight to not use that one until it melts. Per core speeds aren't really getting higher anymore. More cores are useful only if software starts to utilize them beyond a few special cases. I find it likely there won't be too many big advancements on processor technology any more, all the gains are to be had on software side. Better utilization of more and more cores is the most important one. Once professional software starts to fully utilize more cores... but that's still a ways off. How many even support hyperthreading right now?

Again, if the leaks are true: for work purposes there's very little you can't do with a fully decked workstation. For a couple grand you get 8 fast cores, 64GB memory, 1-2TB superfast NVMe disk and several slightly slower PCIe SSDs that can be raided for applications that need both a lot of space and speed. For a few grand more you get several powerful GPUs if you need to work on 3D 4K video or other precision work. This is a ridiculous amount of computing power for very little money.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

I haven't built a computer in literally over a decade, so I think it's time!

• What country are you in? US
  • What are you using the system for? Primarily high-end gaming; in particular I want to do VR. 4k and 60fps would be a bonus. May also do some programming.
  • What's your budget? $2k USD, although it sounds like that's on the excessive side.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Just compilers.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? I plan to get a new 4k monitor. Would like to get 60fps.

Here's my list so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1999.15

Some questions:
1) Is it possible/desirable to squeeze this into a smaller case, e.g. the Fractal Design Define Mini?
2) I've seen recommendations for getting an 850W power supply instead of 650. Should I?
3) Are M2 drives still considered too expensive? Should I just settle for a 2.5"?

Any other recommendations or changes? Thanks!

Someone else questioned the water cooling and suggested this instead. I'm generally meh on overclocking, but if watercooling is quieter and just as easy to set up I don't mind it. Thoughts?

floWenoL fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 12, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Khablam posted:

On top of that, games are almost always cross platform; this generation of consoles have so-so GPUs but garbage CPUs. Any AAA games that have a game-world requiring massive CPU power therefore haven't come along.

Very true and it's perhaps worth mentioning that the hyped Xbox Scropio "4K console" looks like it will use the same Jaguar cores as the PS4/Xbox One only at a higher clockspeed. There probably won't be a big jump in CPU performance requirements until the next gen consoles are out (Zen APU, 2019+)

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

floWenoL posted:

1) Is it possible/desirable to squeeze this into a smaller case, e.g. the Fractal Design Define Mini?
2) I've seen recommendations for getting an 850W power supply instead of 650. Should I?

1) If you get a mATX motherboard, you could get a smaller case. The Mini was recently updated to the Mini C - windowless, and with window. Asus didn't make a Z270 version of their Maximus mATX board, not sure why, so I'll let someone else recommend a replacement.

2) 650W is plenty.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Khablam posted:

Buy an 850 EVO, size appropriate to your needs and budget.
Buy a 8Gb 480
Overclock the CPU. Start at 4.2 and go up slowly from there.

You'll be set for gaming at 1080p on high, to very high or ultra settings in some games for a couple of years.
Please listen to this Good Post.

floWenoL posted:

3) Are M2 drives still considered too expensive? Should I just settle for a 2.5"?

1) Yes you just need a smaller motherboard. Whether it is desireable depends on your personal preference, whether you need to put the computer in a small space or move it around a lot.
2) No, that's overkill. The system you have planned will only draw up to 300-400W power out of the wall when working its hardest. So you want 550-650 because you don't want your power supply at 100% capacity, but 650 is more than enough.
3) As long as you choose an NVMe drive, like the 960 Evo you chose, it is faster than a regular 2.5" SATA SSD but you may or may not ever notice the real world difference. If you want to save money it'd be totally fine to get an 850 evo and it wouldn't be slow at all, but you have a very high end system here so if the 960 evo fits the budget you might as well go for it.

edit: just noticed you mentioned 4k monitors, you probably don't want to do that. Even a GTX 1080 will not manage 60fps on more demanding games. 4k resolution gaming is still kind of a "more money than sense" thing. You probably want to get a 1440p 144Hz monitor, that is a SERIOUS upgrade from a 1080p monitor and will overall be a lot better experience. Check out the monitor thread, not sure if the OP is up to date but posts on recent pages will definitely help

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 12, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

60 -> 144hz is a huge visual change.
1440 -> 4k isn't, really.

I'd second the above post; I run a 1440/144hz screen off a 1080 and wouldn't want to be pushing more pixels in AAA titles. A solid 90+ fps at that resolution feels buttery smooth and motion > peeping at pixels on screenshots.
e.g. no single card plays Rise of the tomb raider without some compromises at 4k, keeping a lower resolution let's you leave the post processing niceness on and still get good smooth frames.

DSR still let's you render applicable games at 4k if they're not taxing and you want what amounts to extremely effective AA.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Even 60 to 100 is pretty huge. I went from a 60 Hz 1440p IPS to a g-sync 100 Hz 3440 x 1440 ultrawide. I can quite easily tell the difference in smoothness with the new monitor between 60 Hz and 100 Hz modes. Everything is more much more fluid.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

Thanks guys for setting me straight re. 4k! I took a peek at the monitor thread and it does indeed sound like 100+ Hz/1440 is the sweet spot right now.

Ah, I actually did want an mATX, so I switched to the Asus STRIX 270G. I meant to ask whether it's possible to squeeze a gaming system into a mini-ITX, but from poking around it looks like I'd need to be really careful with picking out components, and mini-ITX boards make some compromises for space (e.g. only 2 RAM slots, no SLI possible, 1080 cards that have to be designed for it). Plus, I 'm not really space-constrained, I just didn't want a large case if it's not necessary anymore.

I also went with a cheaper cooler master; I figure I could always upgrade that later if I do decide to overclock.

Here's my updated build:

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: *Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1894.05

Please let me know if I'm overlooking anything!

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Asus' ROG Strix GTX 1080 cooler is honestly not that great. If you're going to shell out that much money for a GTX 1080 you should really consider the Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming or MSI's GTX 1080 Gaming X/Gaming Z cards.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Couple questions guys. First of all my cpu is a 3570k OCd to 4.3ghz. It's served me well for... 5 years now I think? I've upgraded my video card a couple of times since but it feels like my cpu could be bottlenecking my 1070 even though it's overclocked. So here's my question. Is this a good time to upgrade? Is ryzen a viable option this time or should I continue to stick with Intel? If I upgraded now would the CPUs available today last me into star citizens launch? I haven't played star citizen but I know I will when it's released and I know it's going to require some heavy duty hardware. Eventually I'll probably sli 1080 TIs. But for now I could just buy a new mobo /cpu combo and a new power supply and upgrade the rest later.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Zotix posted:

Couple questions guys. First of all my cpu is a 3570k OCd to 4.3ghz. It's served me well for... 5 years now I think? I've upgraded my video card a couple of times since but it feels like my cpu could be bottlenecking my 1070 even though it's overclocked. So here's my question. Is this a good time to upgrade? Is ryzen a viable option this time or should I continue to stick with Intel? If I upgraded now would the CPUs available today last me into star citizens launch? I haven't played star citizen but I know I will when it's released and I know it's going to require some heavy duty hardware. Eventually I'll probably sli 1080 TIs. But for now I could just buy a new mobo /cpu combo and a new power supply and upgrade the rest later.

First of all, what is your monitor resolution and refresh rate? From everything I've heard (I don't have first-hand experience) the 3570k should still hold its own when overclocked.

Second, regarding Star Citizen, we don't recommend future-proofing here. Especially not for ten+ years into the future. :v:

Edit: nobody but AMD knows for certain what Ryzen will look like. Leaked reports say it will trade blows with Intel for less money, but I'm taking those with a grain of salt until after the launch and we start seeing in-the-wild benchmarks.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 13, 2017

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Zotix posted:

It's getting to the stage where if you're playing at 1080p, then your 3570k might be slightly bottlenecking your 1070. Solution: switch to a 1440p monitor. But seriously, your PC is fine for gaming for the foreseeable future. Besides, we'll all be buying quantum computers by the time Star Citizen launches, assuming RSI doesn't disappear in a poof of debt before then.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah, maybe I should be looking at getting a 1440p monitor first, and then looking at cpus later in the year. I'm still at 1080p 60hz.

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

TheJeffers posted:

Asus' ROG Strix GTX 1080 cooler is honestly not that great. If you're going to shell out that much money for a GTX 1080 you should really consider the Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming or MSI's GTX 1080 Gaming X/Gaming Z cards.

I see. What's wrong with the Strix's cooler? Looks like the Gaming Z is unavailable now, so I'll probably go with the gaming x.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, we *do* advocate futureproofing with PSUs, suggesting ones with 7-10 year warranties which will last the lifespan of two builds/systems, but that's about it.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

floWenoL posted:

I see. What's wrong with the Strix's cooler? Looks like the Gaming Z is unavailable now, so I'll probably go with the gaming x.

Asus' decision to go with three relatively small fans makes the Strix's noise character more prominent versus MSI's two big fans and Gigabyte's three big fans. Asus' cooler isn't bad in absolute terms, it's just that other companies tried harder this time around. I have the MSI Gaming Z cooler in my main PC (albeit on board a GTX 1070) and it's practically silent under load.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Been playing Space Engineers. On 2560x1440 it seems to bounce around 25-30 FPS. I'm probably pedantic but I would like to see it a bit higher like 40-60.

Right now I have:
  • a not-overclocked i5-4690k
  • slow DDR3 1600 8GB
  • a 2GB GTX 760
  • the wrong pci-e ssd

Wondering what the most straight forward upgrade to buy me more FPS would be. I know it's not the CPU, probably not the SSD. More or faster ram may help. I most likely just need to replace the GTX 760. I don't think overclocking the i5 would buy me the FPS gains I'm looking for but maybe it would. 2560x1440 is the resolution of my screen ... I don't play that many games but I tend to play ones which eat a lot of resources (ArmA, case in point: Space Engineers.) Computer dosen't do anything except play games, I use other computers to do everything else.

ultrabay2000 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 13, 2017

floWenoL
Oct 23, 2002

TheJeffers posted:

Asus' decision to go with three relatively small fans makes the Strix's noise character more prominent versus MSI's two big fans and Gigabyte's three big fans. Asus' cooler isn't bad in absolute terms, it's just that other companies tried harder this time around. I have the MSI Gaming Z cooler in my main PC (albeit on board a GTX 1070) and it's practically silent under load.

Makes sense, thanks. From poking around, looks like the Gaming X has the same cooler as the Gaming Z, just that the latter has higher clock speeds, which is probably not worth the price premium, anyway.

Having an ASUS MB and an MSI graphics card has a small downside of not being able to synchronize the LEDs or whatever, but I don't really care about that -- in fact, I'll probably go with the quieter no-window case over the windowed case anyway.

Here's my updated build:

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: *Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.33 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($638.00 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1853.06

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ultrabay2000 posted:

Been playing Space Engineers. On 2560x1440 it seems to bounce around 25-30 FPS. I'm probably pedantic but I would like to see it a bit higher like 40-60.

Right now I have:
  • slow DDR3 1600 8GB
  • a 2GB GTX 760
  • the wrong pci-e ssd

Wondering what the most straight forward upgrade to buy me more FPS would be. I know it's not the CPU, probably not the SSD. More or faster ram may help. I most likely just need to replace the GTX 760. I don't think overclocking the i5 would buy me the FPS gains I'm looking for but maybe it would. 2560x1440 is the resolution of my screen ... I don't play that many games but I tend to play ones which eat a lot of resources (ArmA, case in point: Space Engineers.) Computer dosen't do anything except play games, I use other computers to do everything else.

You could probably use a new graphics card. I haven't played space engineers in a while but I just fired it up and I'm getting 50-90 FPS most of the time with a similar system. I have an i5-4670K OC"d to 4.2ghz and a GTX 970. I'd look at a GTX 1060 or an RX480 as a possible upgrade. If you can afford it, get a GTX 1070 since you have a 2560x1440 screen.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Along the lines of the above. I have the following:

i5 4670K @ 4GHz
16GB DDR3 1600
Gigabyte GTX 970 "ITX Edition" - http://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970IXOC-4GD#ov
Corsair TX650W
2560x1440 Display

Current games: Rocket League, Elite Dangerous, World of Warships, Battlefield 1

For a meaningful upgrade should I "wait for ryzen :v:" or get a GTX 1070? I don't need an ITX edition it was just the best value card at the time as i have a carbide 2 case. Elite Dangerous only really lags hard if I decided to fight close to a big ship, which is what I do often.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 13, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

ultrabay2000 posted:

Right now I have:
  • slow DDR3 1600 8GB
  • a 2GB GTX 760
  • the wrong pci-e ssd

That's now just too high a resolution for that aging 2gb card to handle.
A radeon 480 8Gb would be a budget option to get you a good experience, but a 1070 is a better pairing for that resolution if you want to play newer titles.
Probably stick with the 480 if you want light gaming only.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

ultrabay2000 posted:

Right now I have:
  • slow DDR3 1600 8GB
  • a 2GB GTX 760
  • the wrong pci-e ssd

I built a near-identical system a couple years ago and the GTX 760 was relatively slow and gutless then. The problem for you may be that Arma absolutely loves more single-threaded CPU performance and memory bandwidth and is comically insensitive to the graphics card it's running on. Everything else will likely benefit from a graphics-card upgrade. I would plan to overclock your 4690K and perhaps get some higher-bandwidth DDR3 while it's still available if Arma is the majority of your gaming time, else you should plan on a new graphics card. Ideally, do both.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's strange because when building a Haswell based computer was a thing (which wasn't that long ago) DDR3-1600 was the recommended RAM to buy and was not considered "slow".

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Dead Goon posted:

It's strange because when building a Haswell based computer was a thing (which wasn't that long ago) DDR3-1600 was the recommended RAM to buy and was not considered "slow".

My board apparently supports DDR3 3000 (OC) or whatever, but I have no idea if my 4670K will just refuse to work with it, ARK says 1600 is the max.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes. The OP hasn't been updated in a while. The EVGA G2, G3, and Corsair RMx series are the new thread favorites, with Seasonic also getting honorable mention.

funnily enough in my old pc I had a Seasonic G Series 650 that blew a capacitor 2 summers ago. It was only like 1 1/2 years old or something.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 13, 2017

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

Yeah, it's weird. I got that speed ram cause it was the recommendation at the time which had been the recommendation going back forever but it seems there's been a sea change on this issue.

I tried turning on the motherboard robot overclocker and noticed I was seeing CPU temps of mid-70 C. That's seems odd I thought, so I turned it off and was still seeing mid-70 C CPU temps. At this point I was like wtf and took apart my computer. Found out the CPU cooler wasn't all that secured on there.

I think I have a Cooler Master T3 Evo, too lazy to look it up. It it has those stupid plastic locking feet which took forever to get back on there I wasn't all to convinced it was going to stay on there because they kept splaying out. Got it fixed and it now idles at about exactly 30 C or in-game the temp is around 50C running at 4.2GHz.

I didn't end up playing that much but the game did feel smoother and seemed like I was getting closer to 50 FPS.

On a side note - does anyone here use Dxtory? Does the on-screen FPS counter incur a performance hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
oops