Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Southpaugh posted:

The writing in this game is bad. Have stated my opinion upthread several times, so I won't reiterate now.

Blazing deserts is out on the 13th of August.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/release-date-announcement-3/

I'll be on vacation when it lands sadly, but at least that means I should have some nice seeds to try by the time I can play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is this base game enough? I'm probably going to pick this up because I like The Black Company books and I like x-com. But the DLC isn't on sale and it's more than the base game.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah just buy the base game, you will probably want both dlc eventually though. New dlc drops in august so I'd say the older dlc will probably go on sale then too.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Southpaugh posted:

Yeah just buy the base game, you will probably want both dlc eventually though. New dlc drops in august so I'd say the older dlc will probably go on sale then too.

Thanks. I ended up buying the whole lot because there is a deal on Steam where you get $5 your first $30+ purchase during the sale, and this was the only thing I was planning on buying anyway. So, I guess I got a bit of a discount after all.

Hopefully I can just disable the DLC for my first game or whatever. I am a bit concerned about overwhelming myself with information/options on my first run.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Chinook posted:

Thanks. I ended up buying the whole lot because there is a deal on Steam where you get $5 your first $30+ purchase during the sale, and this was the only thing I was planning on buying anyway. So, I guess I got a bit of a discount after all.

Hopefully I can just disable the DLC for my first game or whatever. I am a bit concerned about overwhelming myself with information/options on my first run.

The DLC here isn’t like that. It just adds stuff in a way you won’t notice outright unless you played a bunch w/o the DLC. This game is very light on story so it’s just more monsters/random events/enemy types.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The DLC improves the game considerably; I wouldn’t bother playing without it even if you can

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd pretty happily play without a bunch of dlc first to be honest, if only to familiarise myself.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there something you have to do to trigger the noble war ending? I've beat about a dozen end game crises between beginner/veteran and 8 have been greenskin invasion with the other 4 being undead.

EDIT-Other than choosing it explicitly at game start, I've been going random

EDIT EDIT-Actually I'm dumb, I thought the things you did in-game influenced the end event if you chose random. Turns out it's not, and I've just been unlucky in the 200 hours I've played.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 6, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If you pick random the first crisis is chosen randomly yes. Subsequent ones are always random but the game won’t generate the same one twice until you’ve done all of them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Okay I want to pick your guys' brains. Before the DLC drops and changes everything I wanted to play the cheapest, cheesiest way possible (without actually cheating, e.g. hex edits, cheatengine, etc). I've been mostly half-assing the game until now but realized I want to see everything before the DLC. For example, I've never fought a kraken, and all my lindwurm attempts I quit on because half my guys die. Based on some casual browsing I've identified some tactics that I haven't bothered to do at this point since it seems a pain and I was generally content to let the RNG have it's way.

These generally include things I've thought up involving save scumming, but would like to know if you guys agree and any other ideas:
- Reroll start over and over/use known good stats seeds (before I'd just take whatever comes up)
- Save game, hire all the guys in town to see their stats, reload and only take the good ones (before I'd just Try Out and hope/pray)
- Save game, try all the missions to avoid losing rep/doing lovely courier missions and/or avoid travelling 6 days for crappy noble missions (before just generally do missions, turn down the suck ones)
- Save multiple games and camp/road camp to maximize Ambition pops, re-roll if the right ambition doesn't come (before just take whatever comes)
- As above, but for noteworthy events (e.g. training, masterwork bow, etc. if you agree this is worth doing some kind of guide might be good)
- Don't let worthwhile guys die/get perma injured (I don't play actual Ironman, but may as well since I generally don't reload if losing a guy)

These are ideas/things I don't know about:
- Is there a way to abuse saves to cheat at trading other than known good seeds? E.g. maybe reload to get higher numbers of trade goods?
- Farming legendary/unique equipment? e.g. raiding an edge camp over and over until you get what you want?
- Bro stats are baked in at creation right?
- Apparently the Adrenaline perk can be kind of cheesy good? I've never used it. Same with Recover
- Apparently crippling strikes/execution/head hunter is kind of bad? I usually take CS for spear wall guys and HH for archers

I'll also be targetting the origins I've never beat, which includes:
- Peasant Militia
- Trading Caravan
- Beast Slayers
- Deserters
- Cultists

So any cheesy things to do there would be good to know as well; I know there's some kind of event you can time with the Cultists to get good gear, but I've always died before it can happen. I'd be playing on Veteran/Veteran/Medium and want to use these tactics to hopefully overcome the more difficult starts above. Thanks in advance anyone!

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 7, 2020

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

- Apparently the Adrenaline perk can be kind of cheesy good? I've never used it. Same with Recover
- Apparently crippling strikes/execution/head hunter is kind of bad? I usually take CS for spear wall guys and HH for archers

Recover is essential against high armored targets as you will be slugging out your stamina. Adrenaline is good because it lets you go last in a round to get up on someone, then immediately go first next round to get some injuries so they can't hit as hard.

CS/E/HH aren't exactly bad so much as several enemy types don't take injuries in a way that makes them useful. Headhunter is unique in that it just isn't good enough to be worth taking over other combat perks.

Cheesy stuff - if you are in the greenskin invasion, dagger mastery and the perk that makes them roll morale whenever they take health damage is quite good - Greenskin morale sucks, they fail their save, and you don't have to slug through their armor. Not very useful against anyone else, though, as Nobles have high morale, undead don't make those checks, and barbs tend to have crap armor. That's the main problem with cheesy combos in this game - each enemy type has things that just don't effect them, so any skill tree designed to exploit the games internal systems just won't do anything against some of your enemies.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
My mind boggles that you've never used recover, it's basically a must for any of my bros. Adrenaline is nice to cheese the turn order system with and is fatigue intensive so recover with it is a must

I'm going to guess you're under valuing indomitable too since that's the keystone perk when it comes to tanking tough goes like lindwurms, giants, and elite orcs and barbarians

Definitely get the mod that shows bros talent stars on try out and raise the bar pretty high for what you need. There's a big difference at level 11 between a farmer who started at
52 MSkl with two stars and a raider who started at 62 with three

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I played this when it came out and got sucked in hard. Had maybe 70 hours of play in it.

Got too difficult for me

Or at least I got too attached to my fighters and would try to save scum them alive haha. Once zombies were the main enemy I couldn't hang

should I jump back in? Been playing battletech which is amazing

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just save scum until you get the hang of it. I actually think save scumming is the ideal way to play the game. I don't really have the patience to get 6 hours into a campaign only to lose the majority of my bro's and be forced into a death spiral because I hosed up a fight anymore. I used to enjoy it, but gently caress doing that now :v:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I've got the base game and was looking to pick up the dlcs in the steam sale but they're not reduced ugghh

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I've got the base game and was looking to pick up the dlcs in the steam sale but they're not reduced ugghh

Not just that, once you own the base game you can't even buy the package deal for a bulk discount.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’ve gone into detail several times on how I build my company; select my men, etc if you want to check through my old posts. Feel free to ask me anything you like if you want clarification. I’ve done everything except the kraken and I’ve beaten the black monolith without losing anyone (although it took a bunch of tries).

Peasant start is definitely the easiest and I’ve mentioned a couple of seeds in the past with very good starting rolls for peasants - several good archers in the starting company.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Alchenar posted:

Not just that, once you own the base game you can't even buy the package deal for a bulk discount.

Oh for real?

I'm gonna stop recommending people start with the base game only then, that's kinda poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Just for fun I wish there was an "AI Battle" mode where you could pit groups of AI against eachother just to see what happens.

I've been watching videos of people training big groups of orcs into undead and letting them fight it out. Orcs just get utterly shithoused by even middling undead groups.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Just for fun I wish there was an "AI Battle" mode where you could pit groups of AI against eachother just to see what happens.

I've been watching videos of people training big groups of orcs into undead and letting them fight it out. Orcs just get utterly shithoused by even middling undead groups.

I once kited a group of like 8 unholds into an ancient dead army in a forest, and by the time I made my slow way through the forest to find the fight all the skeletons were dead and there were a bunch of really confident and basically unharmed unholds waiting to murder me.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

vyelkin posted:

I once kited a group of like 8 unholds into an ancient dead army in a forest, and by the time I made my slow way through the forest to find the fight all the skeletons were dead and there were a bunch of really confident and basically unharmed unholds waiting to murder me.

This is a good way to clear chosen camps too, 8 frost unholds will tie up the chosen for a good while. Just make sure you back up so they parts of the groups that come to you still run into each other first, then engage.

Also, in a surprise to no one, Orcs get loving demolished by any number of Chosen/Frost unholds

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

vyelkin posted:

I'd be interested to see high level barbarians vs high level greenskins. I feel like the greenskins would walk over an equivalent or possibly greater Noble House group because the berserkers would likely stack up rage mauling the poor footmen and then just run over everything. Barbarians would be interesting because the Chosen do that horseshit rotation spam with their 2-handers.

Undead vs Greenskins is just 100% always to the favor of the undead. Even without geists, I watched a group of Berserkers/Warriors+ a Warlord get completely decimated by just a group of armored weidergangers and a few fallen heroes. I've watched Geist/Weidergangers/Fallen Heroes walk over a full greenskin war party that included every unit type they could bring to the field- so Orc Young/Warriors/Berserkers/Warlords + Goblin Skirmishers/Shaman/wolfriders/overseers. The Geists scream at their frontlines until they break and then the undead just march straight over them like they're nothing.

I think any AI group would have trouble with stuff like Unholds or Shrats because the AI (mercifully) doesn't choose to focus-fire down anyone that isn't already wounded or in a bad position- which it can tell by numbers. With Unholds you have to be able to basically pick which ones you want to focus down from the word go- if the AI had the ability to actually just pick one of your guys and be like "yeah gently caress that guy" from the start before anyone got out of position or wounded, you'd lose someone every single encounter.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 8, 2020

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

rideANDxORdie posted:

My mind boggles that you've never used recover, it's basically a must for any of my bros. Adrenaline is nice to cheese the turn order system with and is fatigue intensive so recover with it is a must

I'm going to guess you're under valuing indomitable too since that's the keystone perk when it comes to tanking tough goes like lindwurms, giants, and elite orcs and barbarians

Definitely get the mod that shows bros talent stars on try out and raise the bar pretty high for what you need. There's a big difference at level 11 between a farmer who started at
52 MSkl with two stars and a raider who started at 62 with three

You are correct; I think I had avoided both Adrenaline and Indomitable because I wanted to avoid micro-managing bros other than click -> splat. I'm just finishing up my poachers win (undead) and am basically in the victory lap now trying to get good legendaries and everyone else's armour above 300. Also had some good luck on endurance, have three guys with 150 or above which is a first, and am realizing it's kind of a waste if I'm not using that on skills like Adrenaline/Indomitable. I'm also using 2-handers more, before I thought they were kind of a risky proposition that needed a certain number of shield bros to support them, but this run (because endurance above) I've got great sword, warbrand, and 2h hammer all doing glorious splats, so I think I'll be leaning into that more.

I don't know if it's optimal, but I just love having a crazy mobile cleaver bro who can lop guys heads off at will. It's so satisfying seeing that head flying, and my guy on this current run is so good at it that last night I basically beheaded every weiderganger so they couldn't resurrect any more.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

dogstile posted:

Just save scum until you get the hang of it. I actually think save scumming is the ideal way to play the game. I don't really have the patience to get 6 hours into a campaign only to lose the majority of my bro's and be forced into a death spiral because I hosed up a fight anymore. I used to enjoy it, but gently caress doing that now :v:

You don't even really need to gently caress up. My main quality of life complaint starting out was that besides rough headcount, the game gives you no assessment of how strong different enemy types are until the half of your army that isn't dismembered is in panicked retreat on round 3.

Between the very brief and noisy discovery of what a "Necrosavant" is and the way a lot of enemy types hard counter you if you don't have very specific thing X, you're likely to get wrecked a lot if you try to iron man as a beginner.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

You are correct; I think I had avoided both Adrenaline and Indomitable because I wanted to avoid micro-managing bros other than click -> splat. I'm just finishing up my poachers win (undead) and am basically in the victory lap now trying to get good legendaries and everyone else's armour above 300. Also had some good luck on endurance, have three guys with 150 or above which is a first, and am realizing it's kind of a waste if I'm not using that on skills like Adrenaline/Indomitable. I'm also using 2-handers more, before I thought they were kind of a risky proposition that needed a certain number of shield bros to support them, but this run (because endurance above) I've got great sword, warbrand, and 2h hammer all doing glorious splats, so I think I'll be leaning into that more.

I don't know if it's optimal, but I just love having a crazy mobile cleaver bro who can lop guys heads off at will. It's so satisfying seeing that head flying, and my guy on this current run is so good at it that last night I basically beheaded every weiderganger so they couldn't resurrect any more.

I find that after around first crisis, I'm transitioning to mostly two hander and polearm bros, with only one or two dedicated shield tanks at the flanks. The mobile cleaver bro is awesome - get that dude a whip to switch to and he'll pull double duty slaying geists and neutering warlords, knights and zweihanders with disarm

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Future DLC should be another humanoid fantasy race with the silliest death sounds possible

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

halflings, and you can recruit them and they take up 0.5 spots each

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Can only wield polearms if they stand on each other's shoulders and one has Huge.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I want to see lindwurms vs black monolith.

Krakens vs gobbo city might also be fun.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

WarpedLichen posted:

I want to see lindwurms vs black monolith.

Krakens vs gobbo city might also be fun.
Lindwurms I think would completely shithouse any group of undead just because of the incredible amounts of damage they can crank out unless their resolve can't resist geists. Orcs get destroyed by the undead even without geists because the undead don't make morale checks and don't fatigue out- so the orcs generally gas out and die if they don't just get beaten down by the relentless attacks before then because they crash into the undead line which 100% does not give a poo poo that they're big and scary.

High End Raiders (when they show up with multiple leaders, swordmasters, and master archers) vs goblins or orcs would be fun to see. I think a reasonably nasty Barbarian Chosen group- even without armored Unholds, could probably take any encounter in the game short of I dunno- the Kraken. I don't think any AI group can take the Kraken because of how it fights where it pulls you in and instagibs you one at a time if you don't group up and keep the tentacles from pulling anyone away; the AI just isn't designed to know to do that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
We are getting nomads as the barbarians of the South.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-143-nomads/

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 10, 2020

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Helical Nightmares posted:

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Helical Nightmares posted:

I think they're more like bandits than barbarians from the looks of things, which means their gear will be infinitely more useful.

I'm also kinda pissed that instead of just having bandits in the south wear and use southern equipment, they decided to paint the nomadic cultures of their not middle east as bandits (sorry, mostly bandits).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ironic given the whole barbarian Berber Bedouin thing

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Even more smaller things

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-144-even-more-smaller-things/

quote:

EVENTS

Events are the spice of life, and the ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC adds plenty of new ones both for your travels south and the interaction between characters. Observe a fire juggler in the city states, discuss astronomy with southern scholars, find cultists of Davkul doing something sinister in the desert, and have your men get sunburn.

:neckbeard:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh good, my favourite cult of psychos get more events!

I'm not kidding i can't wait.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

i had to savescum like alot in the beginning but now i've made it to day 76 and i feel like the rhythm of the game at this point is very good. you can lose 1 or 2 dudes at this point and not feel like everything is over.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The early game for me is watching my legitimately good hires die to random headshots or consecutive hits and the lovely ones just live through everything no matter how dangerous of a position I put them in

Oh, a brawler with good traits, good stat rolls, and 2-3 stars in the right stats? I'll put him in my best gear and keep him towards the center an~ oh the enemies made like four 20% rolls in a row and he's dead. The clubfooted miller I hired to fill out the edges of my line I fully expected to get surrounded and die? Kills like 3 bandits.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I used to savescum a lot until I got a handle on how to train up new recruits to replace the fallen.

It's kind of a crapshoot because the caprices of the RNG Gods lean towards cruelty, but basically get to 14-16 guys then have the new recruits fill in for the injured while they heal and they'll level up enough to not set you back too hard when your best fighters fall. Kinda keep them in constant rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
A really important trick is to give your highest-potential recruits polearms and keep them out of the frontline until they get a few levels and build up some survivability. Someone like this:

quote:

Oh, a brawler with good traits, good stat rolls, and 2-3 stars in the right stats?

should never be on the front line until he's got some levels in MDef and some defensive perks like Colossus.