Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the Pastor's name in chapter 1 being Al destroyed me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ciaphas posted:

oh yeah the punnery is everywhere for sure; in this case it's "Goldirox and the Three Bars" what's done me in

i don't remember much about my abortive attempt at playing DQ11 but I do remember that the pun game was absolutely on point there, too. general DQ trait i suppose, I haven't played other games in the series

(e) aside: the Extremely Cockney miners thing never gets old lol

Yeah, since DQ8 they started faithfully translating all of the awful puns from the original versions, it's great. My favorites are the cat mage enemies: meowgician, clawcerer, and purrestidigitator.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Begemot posted:

purrestidigitator
oh my god

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
GameBillet has Outer Wilds on sale for the cheapest price to date. Registers on steam, approved seller on IsThereAnyDeal, 2019 forum GOTY contender. ~10 USD

https://www.gamebillet.com/outer-wilds

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Begemot posted:

Yeah, since DQ8 they started faithfully translating all of the awful puns from the original versions, it's great. My favorites are the cat mage enemies: meowgician, clawcerer, and purrestidigitator.
In DQ5 or DQ6 there's a candle enemy holding a knife named the Wax Murderer.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Let's get into some controller chat, thread. I know this comes up every 50 pages or so but I couldn't be arsed to look find it from some searching.

I've been using xbox controllers since the 360 wired but my last 2 xbone controllers ate poo poo after 2 years of use; first one's analog stick just snapped and this one's Y button is eating poo poo, and from the last few times this subject was brought up people were condemning MS's QA, so I'm kinda done with them.

What are you guys' go-to controllers? PS5 DualSense any good for pc use? How's the 360 layout 8bitdo? (I prefer the xbox analog layout over the ps one but I can live with a ps-style controller)

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
DS5 works just fine these days. I'm not a fan of the layout and it's too heavy for me, but it's got a shitload of features.

8bitdo is pretty good and the paddles and other features are a bit good, but mine was just a bit buggy and not quite "just works."

Current favorite is by far the Series S/X controller, mostly cause it's lightweight/works well with my tiny hands. Being able to just swap out enloops is a lot less annoying than messing with charging cables/cradles to me too.

(neither my DS5 or 8bitdo made it even close to a year so jealous of the 2 years of use you keep getting)

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let's get into some controller chat, thread. I know this comes up every 50 pages or so but I couldn't be arsed to look find it from some searching.

I've been using xbox controllers since the 360 wired but my last 2 xbone controllers ate poo poo after 2 years of use; first one's analog stick just snapped and this one's Y button is eating poo poo, and from the last few times this subject was brought up people were condemning MS's QA, so I'm kinda done with them.

What are you guys' go-to controllers? PS5 DualSense any good for pc use? How's the 360 layout 8bitdo? (I prefer the xbox analog layout over the ps one but I can live with a ps-style controller)

This is the specific controller that I use.

https://www.target.com/p/powera-spectra-infinity-enhanced-wired-controller-for-xbox-series-x-s-xbox-one/-/A-82566153

It's wired (my preference), but the plug separates from the controller if that is something you need. However, when you plug it in, the cord is designed to have a clip that snaps into place, so the cord doesn't ever pop out, or even wiggle.

There are LEDs, but those are easily disabled by a button on the underside. There are also two other programmable buttons on the underside that you can map to other mimic other buttons, if you want to fiddle with it. A good example would be to make them act the same as the bumpers, so you can keep your fingers on the triggers, but also have easy access to the bumpers (if you don't normally keep one finger on the bumper and another on the trigger.)

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 31, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They already had an undead spinoff game. It killed the series in the west for years.

Nah Yakuza 4 was guilty too, it bombed hard

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Joe Man posted:

"We have pirates at home..."
https://store.steampowered.com/app/386280/Vendetta__Curse_of_Ravens_Cry/

(I recently finished it at 35hrs and yes it kinda owns)

Wait, does this game actually own? I feel like I need more info.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I use my original wired xbox 360 controller from ~2007 and it still works perfectly and has every feature short of the novelty bells and whistles of the DS5.

I also use a Switch Pro controller because I have it and why not and it works just fine too

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Edmond Dantes posted:

I got a Logitech F310 wired from Amazon for $15 back in May, and I’ve been playing a lot more platformers/metroidvanias (Child of Light & Hob, at separate times yesterday) because of it. I haven’t ever owned a console since my Super Nintendo in High School, because I’ve been a strictly PC Gamer since Doom was brand new. I’m still getting used to the change from HOTAS/kb&m, but it’s been perfectly reliable and all my games recognize the inputs without any trouble. When I finish Hob, I got all four of the Arkham Batman games to run through…they seem to have been built with a controller in mind and I’ve heard they’re all four good games.

I don’t have experience enough to know if the F310 is PS or Xbox style, but it’s twin-stick, buttons, triggers, and a d-pad that you can toggle on and off, and a switch on the bottom for some mode-switch I don’t understand…but everything works and I just use it on its default mode, whatever that means :pcgaming:

Edit: It’s light, but good quality!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 1, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That switch on the back changes it between XInput (Microsoft's controller standard used by most modern games) and DInput (an older controller standard that was used pre-XInput), assumedly to make the controller compatible with as many games as possible. I have two of those gamepads as well, the D-pad is a bit mushy but they're otherwise fine.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

DerekSmartymans posted:

I don’t have experience enough to know if the F310 is PS or Xbox style, but it’s twin-stick, buttons, triggers, and a d-pad that you can toggle on and off, and a switch on the bottom for some mode-switch I don’t understand…but everything works and I just use it on its default mode, whatever that means :pcgaming:

Edit: It’s light, but good quality!
It's PS/Classic Dualshock style, Xbox has offset analog sticks. I'm not a fan of how light it is but I'm sure that's not hard to get used to.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I use an 8bitdo pro 2 because there are so few controllers with back buttons. I'd rather it were xbox layout and the back buttons were better placed, but I think it's the best you can do right now except for maybe an Xbox Elite 2, which is very expensive and has a reputation for breaking. So if you're stupid rich maybe buy one of those and then a few more if you like it so you always have a working one on hand.

gently caress Scuf. gently caress patents.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
My Dualsense 5 started getting really nasty stick drift that makes it unusable about a month after the warranty expired. Haven't opened it up yet but any tricks with canned air or cleaning it out only function temporarily, then it comes back. I'm back to using my good old Steam controller

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The new xbox controllers are the best pc gaming controllers you can buy imo.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

ChrisBTY posted:

Wait, does this game actually own? I feel like I need more info.
There's a lovely hourish of linear action set-piece stuff to get through (an escape sequence) and then it basically turns into a Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates game. It's not the greatest game of all time but it wasn't nearly as bad as it could've been. Encountered a single minor unfinishable sidequest bug near the end and a couple conversations where dialogue outcomes are accidentally switched around. One of the last chapters drags on a bit too long. There's also some stuff that certain folks might find offensive but the game's so dumb as it is, who cares.

EDIT: You also bone a hot nun.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 1, 2022

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

explosivo posted:

The new xbox controllers are the best pc gaming controllers you can buy imo.

Same, got a series x controller and never looked back.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Commander Keene posted:

That switch on the back changes it between XInput (Microsoft's controller standard used by most modern games) and DInput (an older controller standard that was used pre-XInput), assumedly to make the controller compatible with as many games as possible. I have two of those gamepads as well, the D-pad is a bit mushy but they're otherwise fine.

Ok, cool. I’d just plugged it in and the Hollow Knight moved so I ran with it :rms: The button on top switches between the dpad/left stick, and I prefer the dpad. Tbh, I wouldn’t know if it’s “good” because it’s the only controller I ever used in thirty years. I’m just glad it seems to do everything expected by my pc!

The Gripper posted:

It's PS/Classic Dualshock style, Xbox has offset analog sticks. I'm not a fan of how light it is but I'm sure that's not hard to get used to.

Ok, thank you as well! My son was born in 1999, and had divorced-dad-spoiled levels of gadgets growing up. I think I might have like four or five completely dead xbox/xbox360/xbone controllers in a box in my e-waste closet. I haven’t used anything but kb&m with exceptions for sidewinder-analogues from X-Wing/MW2 in DOS through Squadrons on Win11. It was cheap and wired, and I have no complaints yet!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Still rocking a DS4 from a couple yeas back but I need to use ds4windows for it. The sticks have a weird jitter that Steam's built-in options didn't let me fix but ds4windows does. I'm happy with it and I like that the bumpers feel solid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

does the xbox series s or x or whatever controller have backpaddles

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the dualsense's haptics are cool but the buttons & dpad are bizarrely mushy and feel like a bad third-party phone controller's buttons/dpad. i don't understand how Sony hosed those up so much. xbox series controller lacks the fun haptics but its dpad and buttons at least are satisfying to use

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the dualsense’s button feel varies a lot from controller to controller, which I’ve learned personally thanks to those dogshit analog sticks

my latest one is pretty clicky, even on the touchpad button

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've been using a Razer Wolverine Ultimate as a replacement for a trio of Xbox Elite V2s that all had issues out of the box, resulting in me returning each one within weeks of picking it up. At this point I've got 2+ years on it as my daily controller and--outside of the AXBY letters rubbing off--the thing has held up like a champ. No bad buttons, no noticeable stick drift, no distracting wear & tear. The 6 customizable buttons (2 extra triggers and 4 on the back) probably won't find a lot of use for the average player, but they were a significant boon in Elden Ring (and to a lesser extent the Yakuza series) for me. The biggest issue I see for people is the lack of a wireless mode.

The Xbox Elite V2 still has one of the most satisfying fit & finishes, but their QA is demonstrably abysmal. With that in mind, this controller has done a commendable job filling that gap for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've been using a Razer Wolverine Ultimate as a replacement for a trio of Xbox Elite V2s that all had issues out of the box, resulting in me returning each one within weeks of picking it up. At this point I've got 2+ years on it as my daily controller and--outside of the AXBY letters rubbing off--the thing has held up like a champ. No bad buttons, no noticeable stick drift, no distracting wear & tear. The 6 customizable buttons (2 extra triggers and 4 on the back) probably won't find a lot of use for the average player, but they were a significant boon in Elden Ring (and to a lesser extent the Yakuza series) for me. The biggest issue I see for people is the lack of a wireless mode.

The Xbox Elite V2 still has one of the most satisfying fit & finishes, but their QA is demonstrably abysmal. With that in mind, this controller has done a commendable job filling that gap for me.

I have this same one that I got for $90 and it’s a good deal.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I also have/use this one, and it's by far the best controller I've ever used. I wasn't going to post about it as it's (or was) pricey, but 2 years in, it's top notch.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ciaphas posted:

does the xbox series s or x or whatever controller have backpaddles

no you need the overpriced pro version to get backpaddles or a usable d-pad

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Oxxidation posted:

the dualsense’s button feel varies a lot from controller to controller, which I’ve learned personally thanks to those dogshit analog sticks

my latest one is pretty clicky, even on the touchpad button

the minor dualsense revision that came with the colored dualsenses feels better in my experience

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As for controllers go, I've been very satisfied with wired 8Bitdo Pro 2 for general modern gaming and the 8Bitdo classic for when I want to play some more retro stuff. Buttons and triggers are responsive and the Pro 2 feels good in hands.

I used to use the 360 controller so my only issue is the Nintendo style button layout on the controller, but I'm so used to the Xbox prompts I have no issue following them on games such as Yakuza LAD I'm playing now. Even if I could get Nintendo style prompts on games I'm not sure I could follow them now. Probably more useful if I could get a xbox layout on the buttons on my controller!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Do NOT buy a Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2. The second revision of the pro controller.

I got one with an extended warranty from the seller. It had some issues with certain buttons not registering. I went back to replace it with a new one, which also had some issues. Repeated 5 times.

My current one does not register A or Y all of the time. I packed some ultra thin tape in the button wells and got it to almost 100%. This would be ok for some games, but recently RB stopped working consistently and sometimes registers a double press or nothing at all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That's all you hear about the Elite controller nowadays. Hard to imagine how they managed to screw it up so much.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The 360 wireless is a fuckin champ, mine is still going after fifteen years

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heran Bago posted:

My current one does not register A or Y all of the time. I packed some ultra thin tape in the button wells and got it to almost 100%.

That's hilarious because that was the exact same problem for me on all three Elite V2s I obtained, and I made the same discovery (I used doubled-up electrical tape slices) as well.

The variety of issues and failure rates would be embarrassing for a typical $50 controller, but it's downright preposterous when they're charging ~$160-200.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sebmojo posted:

hell yeah same

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sebmojo posted:

What usb interface does it use? Mini or something proprietary?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's hilarious because that was the exact same problem for me on all three Elite V2s I obtained, and I made the same discovery (I used doubled-up electrical tape slices) as well.

The variety of issues and failure rates would be embarrassing for a typical $50 controller, but it's downright preposterous when they're charging ~$160-200.
:what:
That is completely unacceptable, those controllers cost a significant portion of the actual console's cost, they shouldn't have that kind of failure rate. I've bought $15 controllers with less issues than what I'm reading about here.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I have a wired 360 controller. Bitta drift but nothing too bad. I feel like I should put it in a retirement home though. Making it work into its pension years reflects badly on me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Yeah I used mine for a really long time, I think it could still go but a few of the buttons don't always feel very responsive. It's one of the best controllers for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There is a small % of people in the first run of Elite Series 2 controllers who don't have any issues. When it's just the A and Y issue, if you press really hard and perfectly straight down it will probably register correctly. If you always go hard in your button presses and don't mind a dropped input sometimes then it's fine.

Frustratingly, if you complain about it online one of these people inevitably comes out of the woodwork saying theirs is perfect and it must be an issue with how you handle your controllers.