Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

You could also emulate the Playstation versions of I and II, released as Final Fantasy Origins.

I prefer Origin's updated sprites, which are very similar to SNES-era FF graphics, rather than the higher res PSP/mobile versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tae posted:

Oh, it's that game that no one conventionally remembers when people complain about Square not making any more turn-based rpgs

If SE's future turn-based RPGs are going to be as slow and plodding as WoFF I'd rather they stopped making turn based games entirely.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
World of Final Fantasy is a fun game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you're gonna emulate any version of I&II do the GBA ones

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the gba ones are almost too easy, but i love them

well, except the post game of FF2, that can die in a fire

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like the gameplay of 1 Origins the best on account of it still having the spell charges system, but also most of the bugs are fixed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mandatory lesbian posted:

the gba ones are almost too easy, but i love them

well, except the post game of FF2, that can die in a fire

Once you get past that stupid first floor and recruit more party members, soul of rebirth isn't bad. But yeah, having random encounters that will basically instakill you is dumb.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Rand Brittain posted:

I hope they make a second one someday, or at least follow up on the "stacks of dudes to make one combined moveset" mechanic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I hope they make a second one someday, or at least follow up on the "stacks of dudes to make one combined moveset" mechanic.

That seems likely if only because the plot is absolutely soaked to the gills in sequel bait.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

It is the best FF outside of 14 in a long, long time. Tons of nostalgia and fan service, good combat, good direction. Really the downsides are being very anime at times and that you need to hold down speed up in combat for the entire game because it was tuned way, way, way too slowly to make up for the fact that you can do degenerate things with Haste and the right speed oriented stack + no-wait.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
The thing that slows WoFF down the most is that the stat system takes into account level in the calculations, which prevents you from oneshotting lower level trash unless you stick with the same mirages for most of the game. If you're actually trying to rotate mirages other than your core team (for most, that's some combo of Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh and their lesser forms), the game slows to a glacial pace later on.

I am, however, looking forward to the possibility of another WoFF/FFRK collab. The last one nailed it spot on, right down to the Haste spam. :v:

Lann's Mega Mirage Odin in FFRK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRprcp5FR0A
... and the original from WoFF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fm4nLV02Iw

The others:
Lann's Channel Element: Fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzS1NABBm8
Lann's Revenge Blast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lnnfvmAvE
Reynn's Channel Element: Ice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLx90JNtYas
Reynn's Ramuh Transfig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHbdnYCPkYQ

C'mon, give me Hauyn. The beyond realm needs more characters.

Varance fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 1, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would love to play a turn based Final Fantasy again, but, sadly, I've little interest in WoFF.

I'm not big on monster collecting games, the last Pokemon game I actually played the whole way through was Red. I'm also very not into when Square mashes up characters and stories from the other games into one. KH was inoffensive because it's mostly original character donut steal, and the FF stuff that was there was mostly new takes on the characters. Dissidia was equally inoffensive because it's a fighting game, and I am also convinced they literally just took someone's fanfic so it's so bad it's turned into comedy.

A whole proper turned based JRPG with that type of fanservice just super turns me off. I like XIV's brand so much more.

Are the FF characters in WoFF kind of just there like in KH, or are they integral/their game's stories integral to the story in any way? I can get over the monster hunting thing, probably, because the stacking at least looks like an interesting and fun mechanic.

Also in general, how are the story and characters? Good or at least serviceable? I'm not expecting to be wowed, which isn't an issue.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the mascot character has the-a verbal tic where it the-adds the article the-"the" to random the-words in its the-sentences

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
WoFF is no good. The game is all charm and no substance on any front. Slow and plodding in every way imaginable.

Great soundtrack though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The White Dragon posted:

the mascot character has the-a verbal tic where it the-adds the article the-"the" to random the-words in its the-sentences

Yikes.

e: sounds like some Poshul tier nonsense but at least that monstrosity wasn't voiced

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One game where the Japanese language track is objectively better because I don't have to put up with that

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If the JP language track is available in the PS4 version, I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably pick it up one of these days.

Seriously though is the FF crossover stuff super relevant to the plot or just there for funsies.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

One game where the Japanese language track is objectively better because I don't have to put up with that

first fuckin thing I did, christ

Thanks for the input, guys and gals. It's not terrible so far, and the whole "stack 'em" mechanic is pretty neat.

Also it's the ~DAY ONE EDITION~ so I, as a super bonus pre-order customer, apparently get a baby Sepiroth. Unlike all you normies who didn't preorder it or find it in a bargain bin :confuoot:

"day one editions" are such a stupid thing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SE 'Day One' editions are more 'thanks for buying a new copy' since they're usually the only editions.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Is WoFF really any good? I just found it in a bargain bin. Worth the time, or no?

Yes, it's actually a legit solid little RPG. It's damned cute but it's also legit funny -- if you are a long-time FF fan and are the kind of person who has played through Final Fantasies multiple times and knows all the little ins and outs of the series, it is a game for you, explicitly. It is full of references to past games, tons of jokes at the expense of previous characters and the battle system has lots of fun tweaks to it.

Monster collecting is kind of an easy way to engage the player and there's a lot of cool monsters to find and areas to explore. The game *looks* incredible, it has a bonkers plot that somehow manages to collapse in on itself to be engaging and it just feels...good? Plus Tama is the-best as cute mascot side characters go.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Did anyone play the beta for FF15 Comrades? A 15-minute quick multiplayer with that combat engine looks pretty good and it might tip me over into getting the season pass.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Personally I thought the balance was way out of wack, and you can imagine the chaos with several players going at it. I'll still give it a shot when it comes out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
WoFF pros:
- Good soundtrack
- Great nostalgia
- Pokémon hunting is fun since there's different methods to catching things
- monster stacking is a fun battle mechanic
- Humor is good, Lann laughing really loud when he gets to Besaid is great
- Using FF heroes as summons is cool

Cons:
- Tama's verbal tic
- Battles are slow even with speed up
- Mini games at the end are pretty bad, and are required to do in order to get all mirages
- Unless you follow a walkthrough, you generally have no idea what the boss' weakness is, since it's usually different from the kind of enemies in the area (this can mess up stacks)
- Lann always being the dumb guy gets a little old

Overall I enjoyed it despite the flaws. It's a solid 8 out of 10.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Things that would have made woff a lot better:
- Making leveling for lower leveled monsters much faster so you aren't punished/underleveled for trying out new units
- Not forcing me to use Lann and Reynn in the stacks (before the post game anyway). Just let me use my cool monsters game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
its reynn time

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Please, no. Please...

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

"what the honking honk"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

seiferguy posted:

- Lann always being the dumb guy gets a little old

After a while I started to get the impression that Lann is actually mentally challenged in some way and that it's kind of inappropriate for everybody in his party to mock him so much.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
WoFF is really charming.
I liked it alot. And the game's humor is pretty good. There were multiple moments that actually had me laughing out loud.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Plus it features the best FF character, Greg, on a quest of machismo and vengeance.

Runner-up best FF characters, Tonberry, Cactuar and Moogle, also have their moment to shine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Eldarion posted:

"what the honking honk"

i legit did not know you posted outside of your coupon empire

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sefal posted:

WoFF is really charming.
I liked it alot. And the game's humor is pretty good. There were multiple moments that actually had me laughing out loud.

https://twitter.com/TannerLPer/status/775443768216608768

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Am I the only one who shrunk Lann and Reynn and plopped them in Magitek Armor the moment they were available and left them there for the rest of the game?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If I could mute Tama I'd probably have gotten further in WoFF.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

mandatory lesbian posted:

i legit did not know you posted outside of your coupon empire

Unironically same.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
All I know about WoFF is that stacking is cool as an idea and that the bestiary takes the piss out of old mistranslations and gets really meta with some stuff. Which is a shame because who even reads those things outside of cool highlights posted online?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm only a few hours in, but it's pretty fun, albeit slooooow at times. And any game featuring Balthier automatically gets a 10/10, so there's that.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Seriously, come on and release offline versions of Rise of the Zilart and Chains of Promathia already SE. XI had amazing music and pretty good storylines but I sure can't recommend anyone to actually play it nowadays.

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 2, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Plus it features the best FF character, Greg, on a quest of machismo and vengeance.

Runner-up best FF characters, Tonberry, Cactuar and Moogle, also have their moment to shine.

The only things I know about WoFF is the music is good and the Tonberry has the most deepest voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Caidin posted:

Am I the only one who shrunk Lann and Reynn and plopped them in Magitek Armor the moment they were available and left them there for the rest of the game?

Same except replace Magitek Armor with Giant Metal Hands.