Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
The liberal equivalent of Bob Rae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

The liberal equivalent of Bob Rae

The very idea has him spinning his grave.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In the sense that she will be demonized for decades to come as a sober warning of what will happen if the liberals get back into power. Political fearmongering, you know?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arcsquad12 posted:

In the sense that she will be demonized for decades to come as a sober warning of what will happen if the liberals get back into power. Political fearmongering, you know?

Yeah, they could just play her sorry, not sorry unedited for a few cycles at least.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If the NDP win, it'll be Bob Rae all over again!
If the Liberals win, it'll be Kathleen Wynne all over again!
If the Conservatives win, it'll be Mike Harris all over again!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do the Marxist-Leninists run a provincial candidate? They haven’t been given a chance to screw Ontario up yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I saw a few Communist party signs but damned if I could tell you any of their names

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I saw a few Communist party signs but damned if I could tell you any of their names

Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin, and Mao were the big ones imo

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
I didn't realize that one of the Canada Post strike demands was to add services such as banking and internet. They should add cell service to that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yellow Ant posted:

I didn't realize that one of the Canada Post strike demands was to add services such as banking and internet. They should add cell service to that.

Wait. What do you mean, add "banking and internet"? Like, paying for their employees internet service? I'm confused.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait. What do you mean, add "banking and internet"? Like, paying for their employees internet service? I'm confused.

I don't know about the internet part but I know CUPW is pushing hard for a postal banking service

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Man, I didn't think the legislation went far enough, and now they're getting rid of all the good bits. I wonder how many people this legislation affects voted for Ford.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Nope, the posties are probably the best union in canada, militant and promoting solidarity, and they figured that if Canada post uses it's facilities in plenty of small towns, they could bring banking services to places that don't really have them. I'd assume the internet would be something similar, offering internet by using leased existing infrastructure.
It's funny, they're actually suggesting things that would make canada post more profitable, but since it's a publicly owned company, and the people who decide this things would much rather it fail and the union get dissolved, they don't do it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't know about the internet part but I know CUPW is pushing hard for a postal banking service

So banking services internal to Canada Post? Like, a bank that's only for their employees to use? I'm a little confused.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

No, like Canada Post becomes your bank. They already have shopping and bill-paying portals, so it's a logical step.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

So banking services internal to Canada Post? Like, a bank that's only for their employees to use? I'm a little confused.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/london-ontario-postal-banking-1.4593113

A nationalized bank service essentially

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

No, like Canada Post becomes your bank. They already have shopping and bill-paying portals, so it's a logical step.

Oh, interesting. I (and my family) do all my banking online so those use cases didn't occur to me. Is this one of the demands in the current dispute?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I think the current strike is about closing the pay gap between urban and rural mail carriers, frequency of injuries of mail carriers and the fact the Liberals haven't undone any of the dumb poo poo the Conservatives did to try and prep Canada Post for sale.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

and the fact the Liberals haven't undone any of the dumb poo poo the Conservatives did to try and prep Canada Post for sale.

Of course they didn't

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I'm excited for my Trudeau Bux to come in the mail

https://twitter.com/althiaraj/status/1054773112141701120

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Imagine if we treated climate change like we treat terrorism.

Edit: Something else.

https://twitter.com/NaomiAKlein/status/1054805239663157249

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 23, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

federal government confirms, Surrey LRT funds can go to Skytrain instead :swoon:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

All conservative politicians should be executed and the people who voted for them should be publicly shamed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TrueChaos posted:

Man, I didn't think the legislation went far enough, and now they're getting rid of all the good bits. I wonder how many people this legislation affects voted for Ford.

They probably think that they'll all get sweet new high paying low skill jobs because giving workers basic rights is keeping away all the good jobs.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Canada Post offering nationalized banking services would be really good because it would help kill those lovely predatory cheque cashing places.

Probably wouldn't affect anyone in this thread at all, but making banking available to people banks don't want to work with would be a good step.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I'm from a small town and it'd be great; we've had numerous banks up and close because there's so few customers and now there's no branch left within a 100 kilometer radius. Really sucks if you need a bank draft to get a car or whatever (or for the large Amish population too).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Y'know how when you go to a Shoppers, some of them have Canada Post locations inside? Well, if you went to a Canada Post store, some of them would have banking locations inside.

So you could go to a Shoppers with a Canada Post inside of it with a bank inside of that.

And then inside the bank there'll be a Tim Horton's. But at that point, it'll have to be like, super tiny. A single Tim Horton's employee crammed inside a cabinet hugging a coffee machine.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

BattleMaster posted:

Canada Post offering nationalized banking services would be really good because it would help kill those lovely predatory cheque cashing places.

Probably wouldn't affect anyone in this thread at all, but making banking available to people banks don't want to work with would be a good step.

We did this in NZ, and more than just providing services to remote places, those kiwibank branches are in major centres too. And that competition from a non-profit helps keep the private banks honest as well.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yes, may I speak to a postal advisar please

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

NZAmoeba posted:

And that competition from a non-profit helps keep the private banks honest as well.

I know it can be easy to forget when coming from outside the country, but remember that "competition" is not a word in Canadian English.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Leofish posted:

Imagine if we treated climate change like we treat terrorism.

So you mean like only brown people can be responsible for climate change?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Saalkin posted:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/ToulasTake/status/1054569248406802432

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The constant attention these former Rebel writers crave is tiring tbh, she wasn't going to be mayor and she isn't going to be PM, it's just one grift after another with these people.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

luckily she comes from a wealthy family so no amount of failure and rejection is going to make her go away. we'll keep hearing about her until she loses interest

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THC posted:

luckily she comes from a wealthy family so no amount of failure and rejection is going to make her go away. we'll keep hearing about her until she loses interest

Or until her family's wealth is taken away :)

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Saalkin posted:

Maybe it's something that could be fixed if we actually made a honest effort we could fix all the underlying problems, and then it wouldn't be so bad, but it would cost us or our rich friends some money, so we don't do it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Fojar38 posted:

For what its worth our brain damaged crack smoking dead mayor probably brings in a greater than zero amount of tourism.

I wonder if someone has put together “The Rob Ford tour bus” as a business, taking groups of tourists to places Ford bought crack etc.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

lol this is one heck of an angle.

It's pretty clear that the LPC wants to use carbon pricing as a wedge going into next election. Given the seats they need to protect vs. where the CPC wants to make gains, and how dire the news has been about climate change lately, it's probably not the worst strategy. The CPC is not even remotely credible on climate change and isn't even particularly coy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

This pretty much fits the Conservative line of thinking that Canada doesn't contribute to Greenhouse Emissions therefore pumping more oil out of the ground is good.

THC posted:

She isn't failing though, she's pocketing a ton of loving money with every publicity stunt and raising her profile each time.