Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Power levels are still to be adjusted right? Or is the points adjustment considered to address that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DiHK posted:

Power levels are still to be adjusted right? Or is the points adjustment considered to address that...

GW has said they plan to adjust PL more often (as opposed to now when they almost never do) but as of launch they havent touched any of it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Stephenls posted:

Here's an image gallery of the 12 frames of the YouTube video in which the new Space Marine codex table of contents are visible, taken at 1080p, followed by the first 10 of those 12 frames adjusted using Photoshop's Perspective Distort option to make them all straight and bigger. The theory was that, even though this is fairly lossy, the human ability to pull data from noise would mean I could interpolate missing information by rapidly paging between ten images with slightly different noise patterns.

It... seems? ...to have worked? Not perfectly; I'm not able to pull out the names of two of the three Storm Speeder variants, and I can't make out the page numbers surrounding the Suppressor Squad to get an estimate of how big the datasheet is likely to be and therefore how likely it is we're getting a multipart version of it. But anyway here's a transcribed unit list.

I think the Captain with Master-Crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle is that one new mini Winkertoss posted. Presumably the Heavy Bolt Rifle is what Heavy Intercessors are packing.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Didn't there used to be a Company Champions box of the old HQ units? Like the executioner and the guy checking Santa's list?
I think you mean the Masters of the Chapter?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 26, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

that one new mini Winkertoss posted.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Stephenls posted:

Here's an image gallery of the 12 frames of the YouTube video in which the new Space Marine codex table of contents are visible, taken at 1080p, followed by the first 10 of those 12 frames adjusted using Photoshop's Perspective Distort option to make them all straight and bigger. The theory was that, even though this is fairly lossy, the human ability to pull data from noise would mean I could interpolate missing information by rapidly paging between ten images with slightly different noise patterns.

It... seems? ...to have worked? Not perfectly; I'm not able to pull out the names of two of the three Storm Speeder variants, and I can't make out the page numbers surrounding the Suppressor Squad to get an estimate of how big the datasheet is likely to be and therefore how likely it is we're getting a multipart version of it. But anyway here's a transcribed unit list.

FIRST COLUMN
:bravo2:

Jesus christ how do SM players keep track of all those different units? I have no idea what 2/3rds of those lists even are, I couldn't imagine trying to make a list out of all that. :psyboom:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Jesus christ how do SM players keep track of all those different units? I have no idea what 2/3rds of those lists even are, I couldn't imagine trying to make a list out of all that. :psyboom:

I looked at an old 3rd edition SM codex out of nostalgias sake and I loved how few units there were. It was really refreshing. I think their stats and all their points fit on like 7 pages.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

As someone who only got into *playing* warhammer into 8th edition, it's very confusing and you feel inundated with options but at the same time I appreciate how much variety even 2 seperate Blood Angels armys could have

Also I just use the models I think look coolest - reppin Sanguinary Guard and Assault Terminators

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm in hour four of a 1v1v1v1 50pl Salamanders/Blood Angels/some homebrew chapter with me as Bugs and I have no idea how any of y'all keep track of what unit does what.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the Captain with Master-Crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle is that one new mini Winkertoss posted. Presumably the Heavy Bolt Rifle is what Heavy Intercessors are packing.

I thought that, but...

I think this is a pic of all three Intercessor variants:

The one on the left would be an Iron Hands Assault Intercessor, middle is Blood Angels regular Intercessor, and right is Space Wolves Heavy Intercessor. I say this because I'm sure I recognize that Blood Angel's silhouette from the regular Intercessor kit, I don't recognize the Iron Hand's power sword (and the regular Intercessor kit doesn't even have a power sword), and I'm pretty sure the Space Wolf has his right foot raised up and resting on a rock, which isn't how any current Mark X Tacticus armored marine is sculpted. And I think the Space Wolf is carrying a plasma gun. (And definitely isn't wearing Gravis armor....)

My hope, probably unreasonable, is that the multipart Assault Intercessor kit gets us Primaris equivalents of the Assault Marine weaponry (and maybe the nerf to Fly lets them get jump packs even though they're Troops, I dunno), the multipart Heavy Intercessor kit gets Primaris equivalents to Devastator weaponry (which is not as good as the enhanced Cawl-pattern heavy weapons like las-fusils or melta-rifles), and then those three kits together provide for kitbashing up Primaris Tactical Squads, and can be used in conjunction with the Veteran Intercessor datasheet to make Primaris equivalents of Company, Vanguard and Sternguard Veterans.

EDIT: To be clear; I am probably wrong and I know it. The Chapterhouse lawsuit and its continuing fallout makes it ever less likely that GW would release a Veteran Intercessor datasheet you have to make using three other kits rather than a kit of its own, or that it would permit use of gear not included in that kit. And all of their recent design choices have favored datasheets for units of roughly even power, where gear options aren't major upgrades or downgrades but are just... sidegrades, like the three different types of bolt rifle. The scenario I've just described would cut against everything we've seen GW do for the past couple of years. And I am usually wrong when I predict something I want to happen.

But, still. There's space for all the pieces of this scenario from what I can see. Probably won't be anything in that space, but the space is there.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 26, 2020

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I decided to do spaceship decking for my dude's bases. So naturally all the characters in Indomitus are posing on rocks.

I should have paid more attention and knew that was going to happen.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
You trust that the other person knows- in regards to playing vs different SM chapters :D

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Floppychop posted:

I decided to do spaceship decking for my dude's bases. So naturally all the characters in Indomitus are posing on rocks.

I should have paid more attention and knew that was going to happen.

Clip the rocks off and use plasticard to make some raised deck plating.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
I have been playing a lot lately, and something that has been happening very consistently is people in my friend circle conceding after the first 1-2 rounds. We've been playing 2000 point games and setting up plenty of terrain, but it seems that 90% of the time that the game has already been decided. Is this a common issue? Are we playing way too aggressively or something?

I would really love to play the games all the way through and have close matches than play under half the game length before reaching a point where it's obvious someone is screwed and can't recover.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Lori posted:

I have been playing a lot lately, and something that has been happening very consistently is people in my friend circle conceding after the first 1-2 rounds. We've been playing 2000 point games and setting up plenty of terrain, but it seems that 90% of the time that the game has already been decided. Is this a common issue? Are we playing way too aggressively or something?

I would really love to play the games all the way through and have close matches than play under half the game length before reaching a point where it's obvious someone is screwed and can't recover.

Honestly a lot of the time that I've thought a game has been "decided" early on, it hasn't. I had the same problem as you and someone insisted I let things play out and see what happens, and with surprising frequency the tides would turn.

Quick edit : And try to adopt a "losing is fun!" attitude, a-la Dwarf Fortress. Instead of being bummed out that you probably won't win, see how many of the bastards you can bring down before the "inevitable" happens. See which one of your units gets the privilege of dying in a blaze of glory while overwhelmed by forces on all sides.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Stephenls posted:

Clip the rocks off and use plasticard to make some raised deck plating.

Normally that's the route I'd go, but these are moulded on in a big way.

Oh, did anyone else notice that in the Grand Tournament mission pack that it suggests a play size of 44"x30" for Incursion (max 1000pts) but the maps associated with each Incursion mission are 44"x60"?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Lori posted:

I haven't played any 9th edition at all but I have been enjoying watching battlereports a lot.
Last night I watched Tabletop Titans , Necrons vs Ultra Marines and the entire game I was sure UM would win with a huge margin but somehow the Crons won in the end by playing their mission objectives.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I mean one player just needs one turn of bad dice for it to change. Also maybe reflect afterwards what you could have done differently to change the outcome, moves, load out , units ect. There is some skill involved as well not just random luck. A good player with a bad army will be able to beat a bad player with an OP army some times :)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

At this point, I feel GW needs to rip the band aid off and just go full Primaris.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

OhDearGodNo posted:

At this point, I feel GW needs to rip the band aid off and just go full Primaris.

Thiiiiiiis. I feel like the old marines should have reacted in a strong, negative way to being replaced. Start a cool new civil war, excommunicate all chapters that reject Primaris, and keep all the old marine stats in a new codex supplement titled "Codex : Renegade Marines"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

But not primaris tanks holy poo poo they are ugly

And not in the cute old school land raider ugly way.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
So, I'm coming back to the hobby after almost 20 year hiatus.

I'm continuing on with piling as many wraithguard (and now wraithblades, because they weren't around when I use to play) I can on the table.

I keep seeing the references to GW changing base sizes. I am aware my new wraithguard are taller and on bigger bases then my old ones. With the new base rules, am I screwed into having to replace the couple dozen or so old wguard I still have?

Clearly this only matters in anything but games with friends, but that's a possibility so I'm trying to sort it out before I show up to a game and people lose their minds.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I kind of like the ginormous Forgeworld Primaris hovering megatank because it really is just a GI JOE vehicle in a good way. It's the giant THE GENERAL thing with the working lights that you totally wanted for Xmas.

I kind of hate the GW Primaris hovertanks because they are the $15 GI JOE set your well-meaning relative got you for Xmas. The ones where you quietly lament that they don't even come with a special pilot!

They're stupid boxy bullshit like the smallmarine fliers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Spiv posted:

So, I'm coming back to the hobby after almost 20 year hiatus.

I'm continuing on with piling as many wraithguard (and now wraithblades, because they weren't around when I use to play) I can on the table.

I keep seeing the references to GW changing base sizes. I am aware my new wraithguard are taller and on bigger bases then my old ones. With the new base rules, am I screwed into having to replace the couple dozen or so old wguard I still have?

Clearly this only matters in anything but games with friends, but that's a possibility so I'm trying to sort it out before I show up to a game and people lose their minds.

Basically it doesn't massively matter unless you are going to play at a tournament.

What I would probably suggest you do is put them on the new base sizes using base extenders. I bought some for my Grey Knights and they literally just slot over the base with some glue, put your basing material of choice over the gap and you can't even tell. This will solve 90% of game related confusion as nearly all measuring is done base to base.

The other 10% you'll have to worry about is any true line of sight stuff, on which case if you're using old school tiny models I'd just play it as "we will pretend they are the new size" giving your opponent the benefit of the doubt when it comes to "could I see them over this crate" or whatever.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I had to look up what I had. The GI Joe airplane ghoststriker and the desert fox jeep :)
Quick kick was my favorite figure.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Kitchner posted:

Basically it doesn't massively matter unless you are going to play at a tournament.

What I would probably suggest you do is put them on the new base sizes using base extenders. I bought some for my Grey Knights and they literally just slot over the base with some glue, put your basing material of choice over the gap and you can't even tell. This will solve 90% of game related confusion as nearly all measuring is done base to base.

The other 10% you'll have to worry about is any true line of sight stuff, on which case if you're using old school tiny models I'd just play it as "we will pretend they are the new size" giving your opponent the benefit of the doubt when it comes to "could I see them over this crate" or whatever.

Awesome, thanks.

I was thinking maybe even adding something stable on the underside take make up for the height, too.

I do really like the new ones, so they'll probably get swapped out eventually, just probably not this year.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I just glued my small bases on to the bigger ones and made like a small hill with sand basing material.
Takes care of the height problem to.

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 26, 2020

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Etsy is a good go to for base adapters as the sizes become larger and larger.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

No, it was a box set with The Lord Executioner, Master of Relics and Master of Rites. I think out it out the same time as the Heroes of the Chapter that contained the Librarion, Techpriest and Chaplain.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

I thought that, but...

The one on the left would be an Iron Hands Assault Intercessor, middle is Blood Angels regular Intercessor, and right is Space Wolves Heavy Intercessor. I say this because I'm sure I recognize that Blood Angel's silhouette from the regular Intercessor kit, I don't recognize the Iron Hand's power sword (and the regular Intercessor kit doesn't even have a power sword), and I'm pretty sure the Space Wolf has his right foot raised up and resting on a rock, which isn't how any current Mark X Tacticus armored marine is sculpted. And I think the Space Wolf is carrying a plasma gun. (And definitely isn't wearing Gravis armor....)

My hope, probably unreasonable, is that the multipart Assault Intercessor kit gets us Primaris equivalents of the Assault Marine weaponry (and maybe the nerf to Fly lets them get jump packs even though they're Troops, I dunno), the multipart Heavy Intercessor kit gets Primaris equivalents to Devastator weaponry (which is not as good as the enhanced Cawl-pattern heavy weapons like las-fusils or melta-rifles), and then those three kits together provide for kitbashing up Primaris Tactical Squads, and can be used in conjunction with the Veteran Intercessor datasheet to make Primaris equivalents of Company, Vanguard and Sternguard Veterans.

EDIT: To be clear; I am probably wrong and I know it. The Chapterhouse lawsuit and its continuing fallout makes it ever less likely that GW would release a Veteran Intercessor datasheet you have to make using three other kits rather than a kit of its own, or that it would permit use of gear not included in that kit. And all of their recent design choices have favored datasheets for units of roughly even power, where gear options aren't major upgrades or downgrades but are just... sidegrades, like the three different types of bolt rifle. The scenario I've just described would cut against everything we've seen GW do for the past couple of years. And I am usually wrong when I predict something I want to happen.

But, still. There's space for all the pieces of this scenario from what I can see. Probably won't be anything in that space, but the space is there.

The one on the right is an existing hellblaster.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Spiv posted:

Awesome, thanks.

I was thinking maybe even adding something stable on the underside take make up for the height, too.

I do really like the new ones, so they'll probably get swapped out eventually, just probably not this year.

I mean if you wanted to go full effort you could stick the new base onto the bottom of the old base, and then use stuff to make it look like it's standing on a rock or something.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As someone who doesn't own Codex: Necrons, I was very surprised to see "See Codex: Necrons" in the totally not a starter box. Would it have killed them to reprint two rules?

But I guess that's why it's not a starter box.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Booley posted:

The one on the right is an existing hellblaster.

Boo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

moths posted:

As someone who doesn't own Codex: Necrons, I was very surprised to see "See Codex: Necrons" in the totally not a starter box. Would it have killed them to reprint two rules?

But I guess that's why it's not a starter box.

My guess is that the new codices were supposed to launch practically at the same time as the boxed set but covid has ruined that plan. So it's a weird situation where if someone bought indomitus to get into the hobby with Necrons I'd tell them to use Battlescribe to see the rules, which means it's proactively creating reasons to use a competitor to their new app. Not much they can do about it though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I just grabbed that Intercessor pose in the middle one in my collection and that gun is significantly longer than a current bolt rifle (auto or otherwise).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kitchner posted:

Not much they can do about it though.

Well they could fix this though:

E: But I think you're correct that this is just COVID timing. And all things considered I am phenomenally impressed with this boxed set.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 26, 2020

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Quarantine is a hell of a thing.

Last month I splurged and bought a bunch of Gundam, and as I was building a Psycho Zaku (those of you unfamiliar, think red kinda space marine-looking dude with a full foot of rockets strapped to its back in the 1/100 scale) I needed to apply a water slide decal. So I wanted some Mr. Mark Settee and Softer and then topcoat to protect it...and if I’m going to topcoat, dammit, I should use use an airbrush...

A month later I have a craft table that I built from scratch, a spray booth, some paint and tools, and NOW have justified buying 40k for Kill Team because a.) my wife is on board with detailing what I prime and base coat and b.) I’d like a lot of practice in between painting Gundam, which take me a long time to prep (I sand each part individually and so on).

Anyway. Hello. You have a very nice hobby here and I’m excited about it. I’ve got some Space Wolves and some Deathwatch needing assembly (I loved the Deathwatch team of outcasts/elites lore and space wolves are just loving neat). My wife gets the Tau (I read they’re quite strong, and generally in board games I have a better strategic sense than her, so I thought it would be more fair?).

I guess what I’m saying is FOR THE EMPEROR

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Stephenls posted:

I thought that, but...

The one on the left would be an Iron Hands Assault Intercessor

Left is a Dark Angel. Those are the DA company patterns below, like the BA has their squad fields above and the SW has pack markings below.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

OhDearGodNo posted:

I agree, but I also think this is where they are heading. IIRC, previous goon theories were along the lines of that happening by 10th or 11th or whatever.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
2/2 for 9th so far

Shoutout to Mepthiston who stayed on a command point for 5 turns and literally only cast Unleash Rage all game and my Furioso Dreadnought for saving all 13 3+ saves on his last wound!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ehhh I'm selling some Orks and SM/IG bit lots ovah heeere.