Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Can we make like a separate thread for 9/11 retrospectives?

I'm just impressed we've had two consecutive derails in this thread and neither was particularly stupid or hostile. Not how it usually goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Asiina posted:

I mean I was a senior in high school and this is how it felt. It just felt like a movie or a play, it didn't feel real.

I can understand elementary schools not showing kids what happened, but it was immediately obvious that this was something you were going to remember forever, even if we didn't know what was going to happen at the time (that a second plane would hit and about an hour later the towers would collapse), so I guess I'm glad that they didn't try to hide it from us.

That said, it was traumatizing as gently caress and nobody actually tried to teach anything that day, we all just listened to the news as it came in and people were allowed to go home if they wanted. I still remember the live footage of people jumping, it's horrifying. So go gently caress yourself, shithead who made that.

I was a Freshman in college, and it was similar for us. In a morning class, people were just starting to catch on that something was happening as we left. The teacher in the afternoon class had the TV on as soon as we got there and we watched for a while. It was kind of a teachable moment, though, as it was an education class, and we talked about how you would deal with something traumatic like this happening if you're responsible for a class full of younger students.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

Can we make like a separate thread for 9/11 retrospectives?

9/11 of 2012 is the only acceptable non-forward 911 chat for this thread.

Seconded/thirded/etc, ask/tell probably has or will accept one

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
*reads through four pages of 9/11 memories* Yeah, 9/11 seems to have not left any indelible marks at all. gently caress off meme.

My idiot boss used that one on me "We watched 9/11 and were fine, Trump wins and college kids need a 'safe space'". I just pulled up Trump's tweet about theaters being "safe spaces" and read that loudly. His idiot answer was "Yeah that's all you have. That's all you have." like that means anything but mouth noises.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

There was a gag article--I don't know if it was The Onion or the one whose name I forget that focuses on military satire articles--about a son serving 10 miles from his father who enlisted "so his children wouldn't have to fight." I was trying to look that up and found... real examples :smith::

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/19/united-serve-on-fathers-day-military-dads-and-sons-find-common-ground.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fatherhood/meet-the-father-and-son-who-serve-in-the-same-army-regiment/

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
My whole high school watched tv for the day and they let anyone leave who wanted to with no penalty. My JROTC instructors, who all had front line combat experience, gave us a brutally honest and open conversation and Q&A about what it would really mean for us to enlist, if we felt we wanted to. I honestly think that was the best thing they could have done because it tempered a lot of knee-jerk patriotism and helped give perspective on what our response would actually mean for our soldiers.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There was a gag article--I don't know if it was The Onion or the one whose name I forget that focuses on military satire articles--about a son serving 10 miles from his father who enlisted "so his children wouldn't have to fight." I was trying to look that up and found... real examples :smith::

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/19/united-serve-on-fathers-day-military-dads-and-sons-find-common-ground.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fatherhood/meet-the-father-and-son-who-serve-in-the-same-army-regiment/

It's a war of national interests abroad. No one has to serve :psyduck:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Zephyrine posted:

It's a war of national interests abroad. No one has to serve :psyduck:

Look buddy, someone has to carry rifles around otherwise the wealthy elite of their nation would have to look elsewhere for opportunities to make amounts of money which beggar belief.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I live in CA and did during 9/11. I remember in zero period one of the girls mentioned a plane hitting a building in New York. I thought she was just talking about a little prop plane or something.

The principal came on the PA during the morning announcements and told us about the attack, then I spent the rest of the day watching the news coverage on TV in all of my following classes.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Zephyrine posted:

That's unamerican forms of safety. Safety doesn't come from car design, seat belts or airbags. It comes from the loaded gun in the passenger seat.

Or possibly miniguns mounted on the sides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Just add a coal-rolling setting and it's an instant hit.

quote:

By 2001, only a few hundred had been sold, and the device was taken off the market by Fourie, who instead started marketing a less expensive pocket-sized "personal flamethrower"

What is with that guy and fire? :stare:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Shadenfreude of the day: guy with "Trump Made America Great Again" hat comes into my restaurant, drops his phone and shatters the screen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
On the first day of Ha-nuke-theahah? I lit the Burning Bush,
on the second day... Minority Report,
the third night Samson's fight,
and tonight... Heaven seems right.

-Adam Marshall Dobrin

For those of you still scratching your heads--this very incendiary proof that religion and time travel are linked is showing the world something--that there is a dark force suppressing truth and normal human behavior. There's no doubt that this message should be spreading on social media, and it's become clear to me over the last eight months of trying to explain just what it means to see obvious proof of anachronism in languages--of English hidden in Hebrew. The implications are staggering, and it's clear that religion is designed to ensure that we do not lose the truth of Creation.

I link it by name to CARNIVORE, a "packet sniffer" secretly eating packets. It's more nefarious than that though, the truth is the packet muncher is hiding a force of artificial disbelief--and worse, one of knowing and organized opposition to the truth. From the Book of Names to Adam's Eden, know that this name, CARNIVORE, comes to you as help from God. Listen, this is Sam's America, and the IAM is delivering liberty as promised... to the Promised Land of Adamah son of Nu--that's you. I urge you to fight the censorship, it is the way to Heaven.

The man gave names to all livestock and to the birds of the heavens and to every beast of the field. But for Adam7 there was not found a helper fit for him.
Genesis 2:20

There's stirring afoot, by the way.
I'd be really happy if we could get a conversation going on reddit, if nothing else I could use to actually hear some opinions--the Sound of Silence is deafening, be assured. You'll notice there's quite a bit more "lingusitic evidence of time travel" in the story of a boy on the run and you may see some divine inspiration and clear proof of the hand of God at work fulfilling both the words of Isaiah 52:13 and those of "American Pie." To be certain, I was set up and very high... and as for the Trial of Jesus Christ? No verdict was returned.
Here's some of my ideas.

If Heaven were place that I made myself, I would... (self.theabyssoa)

submitted 15 hours ago * by rndaxs
o comment
Show the world that the Rod's of Aaron and Jesus Christ are a secret message about Doors... Doors For Everyone--that's the key to the symbol of Iron.
I'd do the Christian thing... and end world hunger, heal the sick, and deliver fun to all... that's for sure.
But more than anything I'd show them there is already a map here to help us build it, that I've lit it up from Jerusalem to the Bahamas and Orlando more than (afikomen) once (bagel thins?), and that our answer to the question above is literally the source of Heaven.
Edit: No comment? So, what you are saying is... "Adam, you've given me nothing to think about and I would like you to make Heaven whatever it is that you think it should be like."
In a boys dream... all the live long every day.

Per Chance: the God of Heaven is Uranus ... who Koran for freedom's sake, knowing that the Lamb of God ... Islam. (self.theabyssoa)

submitted 15 hours ago * by rndaxs
• 3 comments
To see the confluence of "ran" and "lam" and the idom "on the run" is only the beginning of the Grail from this point. It continues to show us a number of idioms that are designed to deliver a message from God himself.
Well here we are, and Jesus Christ and Rock n' Roll have saved Samson from dying in the Batlte of Judges... As "American Pie" goes... the court room was adjourned, no verdict returned. To say it bluntly, our society has decided that Jesus Christ is a thing of myth; and has never been so wrong.
Tying in Metroid, and Sammas Aran--you may remember the cheat code for this "run" long since finished now of Jeshurun was ... "JUST BAIL." That is until bail was denied flying in the face of the law and the Constitution. You are "of Sam, the IAM."

There's a significant number of additional "selected e-mails" on that site, where you are invited to discuss what you think... in an environment that is run by a 3rd-party. I hope we take advantage of it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I remember on 9/11 the class television had broken and I had a sony discman with the radio built into it, so I had to stand at the front of the class and be the class television.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did you do an interpretive dance?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

I find it hard to believe that if you were in school that morning, that the teachers just wheeled in TVs and turned it on to gape at.

I was literally watching the Challenger launch when it went up, it was because I was in like 1st grade and spaceships were still a big patriotic deal back then.. But they sure as gently caress turned it off real quick when they realized what'd just happened.

But 9/11 happened pretty dang early in the morning, so even on west coast I doubt it'd be more than like announcements that counselors were available or something. Turning that poo poo on live is borderline criminal for an educational institution.

That's actually exactly what happened in my high school. And then we all got sent home at like 11:30 I want to say, maybe 12. I remember that a lot of parents were calling the school freaking the gently caress out and coming to pick up other students.

Asiina posted:

Since we're on the subject, I took a trip to NYC recently and when I was there I went to the 9/11 memorial and the museum, and I would suggest everyone go if they end up in NYC. It's really well done. It's tasteful and powerful.

That said, it's a lot. It is an extremely emotional place, as its meant to be, to the point that there are little pedestals all around the museum with boxes of tissues in them because you will start crying.

If you walked through there, especially someone who is old enough to have been in high school at the time, and don't get overly emotional I would be concerned.

I didn't get emotional at all, actually, but that may have more to do with me walking through ground zero every day and associating the place with a tourist attraction.

It's the war memorials that get me.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I still remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. Me and my friend Paul were making fun of the spanish kids with velcro shoes in 7th grade shop class and next thing I know the loudspeaker goes off and has the guidance counselor on it telling me to report to the office, I go in and my uncle Darrell who I havent seen since I was a toddler was standing there with this look of emptiness and poo poo. “Get in the car dude,” he said and I am thinking the worst has happened. Well I ask what was wrong and he just looked at me and said, “the Twin Towers fell,” and I asked him how the gently caress that happened. He turned on the AM news station, cranked the volume up, and passed me a joint even though he knew I never smoked before. We took off and listened all the way thru, we were both stoned silent the whole time and my mind was completely blown. “The Twin Towers are gone now man,” and from there on out I have just had this insane outlook on life.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I still remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. Me and my friend Paul were making fun of the spanish kids with velcro shoes in 7th grade shop class and next thing I know the loudspeaker goes off and has the guidance counselor on it telling me to report to the office, I go in and my uncle Darrell who I havent seen since I was a toddler was standing there with this look of emptiness and poo poo. “Get in the car dude,” he said and I am thinking the worst has happened. Well I ask what was wrong and he just looked at me and said, “the Twin Towers fell,” and I asked him how the gently caress that happened. He turned on the AM news station, cranked the volume up, and passed me a joint even though he knew I never smoked before. We took off and listened all the way thru, we were both stoned silent the whole time and my mind was completely blown. “The Twin Towers are gone now man,” and from there on out I have just had this insane outlook on life.

I think this is a parody, but I'm not sure what the point of it is.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

negromancer posted:

That's actually exactly what happened in my high school. And then we all got sent home at like 11:30 I want to say, maybe 12. I remember that a lot of parents were calling the school freaking the gently caress out and coming to pick up other students.

I didn't get emotional at all, actually, but that may have more to do with me walking through ground zero every day and associating the place with a tourist attraction.

It's the war memorials that get me.

My high school put the tvs on and left them on, but muted, all day while the teachers tried to instruct over it. We didn't go home early but no one got anything done despite the teachers' best efforts.

My friend's dad was supposed to be at the WTC that day and no one could get ahold of him. (He was completely fine, he was a very lucky man.) Her mom didn't pick her up because she thought the school wouldn't tell the students about it and that way she'd be able to break it to her daughter when there was more information.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I was in sixth grade, and while the grades above us had laptops and were allowed to look up news (or did it anyway) and some of their teachers set up tvs, we were told to just to do our work, which I remember really pissed me off.

I also remember A Sesame Street PSA afterwards that was suppose to advise kids to talk to their parents about all the scary poo poo they were seeing on tv, and for parents to talk to their kids in a age appropriate manner about it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
College dorm room, playing fallout tactics while I was waiting for class to start. My quiet room mate was watching the news muted, with subtitles on, and there was... something? About a fire? Who cares.

Anyway, all of my friends showed up one by one to hang out. There was a weird vibe in the room, but we all just talked about video games and anime. It wasn't until there were seven people in the room that I asked, "Wow, everyone's here. What's the occasion?" Everyone stared at me for about ten seconds, and then my roommate un-muted the television and said, "Maybe you should watch this."

Very strange day. Everywhere on campus was silent, everyone was just in someone's room watching the news. Class was probably canceled, but no one would have gone anyway, so.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
lord, I apologize for causing this 9/11 storytime derail. Here is my penance in Overpasses for America

keep in mind folks, 100% real news up in here

real, real news

real real photos of real real news

nice fez

HILTURRRR

racists

all of you, racists

just goddamn racists

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Yes, I remember when Hitler used nuclear weapons.

I also remember when Obama was accused of being too deferential to Putin, unlike Trump-sama.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Jurgan posted:

Yes, I remember when Hitler used nuclear weapons.

Be fair, Hitler and Obama nuked the exact same number of cities.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007
Wait, don't these guys *want* a scorched earth policy? Or do they mean Obama's scorch-earthing the US? Also, what?

Edit: We do need to bring the Fez back. If Obama starts this trend, it just shows how awesome he's become over the years.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

We need our president to be an authoritarian tough boy like Putin but also Obama is a horrible authoritarian who needs to be stopped

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Joshmo posted:

Wait, don't these guys *want* a scorched earth policy? Or do they mean Obama's scorch-earthing the US? Also, what?

Edit: We do need to bring the Fez back. If Obama starts this trend, it just shows how awesome he's become over the years.

I'm not even sure it's fair to refer to Hitler's policy as "scorched earth." He wanted to take land in the east for Germans to live on, not destroy it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"Bloodbath" works.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Augus posted:

We need our president to be an authoritarian tough boy like Putin but also Obama is a horrible authoritarian who needs to be stopped

I forget what author said it, (I think it was mentioned on chapo trap house) but it something about how coservatives don't actually care about principals surrounding authority. They may say otherwise but they just want authority figures they agree with. I know that sounds incredibly broad but it was prefaced as "conservatives are more radical than you think."

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Jurgan posted:

I also remember when Obama was accused of being too deferential to Putin, unlike Trump-sama.

I actually do remember this: there was a whole Thing in 2012 about Obama telling Putin he'd have more leeway after the election, which the right wing talking heads took as full admission of treason.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Math

Bible

Littlefinger

Pride

making GBS threads

TinTower fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 5, 2017

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

TinTower posted:

Math

Bible

Littlefinger

Pride

making GBS threads

Most bible thumpers have never even read it, or did it so selectively that they have no idea of all the crazy poo poo in there.

Math, how DID the squirrel feel?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Trick question, the dead don't feel

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's missing the "Math in the future" at the bottom, where the question is in Chinese. Or probably Arabic now. :ninja:

Did it occur to them that there are dozens of free Bible apps on the Play Store, so you can save pocket space?

TinTower posted:

making GBS threads
This one falls spectacularly flat. At least the ones fearmongering about perverts in flasher macs saying 'I identify as a woman' while exposing themselves to children have a bad thing happening, even if it's largely bullshit. A young boy shits in the girls' bathroom. Then what?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This one started out pretty funny and then went down hill fast.

And emergency bible?

So this is the "all lives matter" counter to cancer awareness?.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

Littlefinger

making GBS threads

Littlefinger the character is...not known for either of those things

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Augus posted:

No no no you don't get it! Obama is a tyrant! There's a difference.

Pretty much the entirety of Republican thought in America right now is "the only moral X is my X." It's wrong that Obama wants to round us up and put us in FEMA camps but it's totally OK that we want to round up Muslims and put them in camps because reasons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's wrong that Obama wants to round us up and put us in FEMA camps but it's totally OK that we want to round up Muslims and put them in camps because reasons.
It's because they're all murderous brutes that don't follow our code of law, which is why they should all be rounded up and shot without trial. :freep:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Threw it out for better versions with new content every other year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

evilmiera posted:

Threw it out for better versions with new content every other year?

I really want to make a joke that contrasts our methods of electronic waste disposal with how we seem to shove the worst parts of Christianity onto Africa, but I can't figure out a way to word it without coming across all Reddit-atheist.