Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Well I just got paid, so if I can manage to get my guitar working when I get home, I will be buying a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 and an EHX Big Muff Pi. If not, I'll probably be buying new pickups :(

Where on this forum can I ask for help with that? Pickup thread? Trivial Questions Thread? Guitar Thread? All of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midget Gems
Dec 31, 2007
I hear they have the internet on computers these days
This disgusting looking pedal is a valve overdrive I've just got my hands on:

It's hand made by a man in Devon, it's hand painted, it's true bypass, it's got more switches than I know what to do with, it's got a valve in it, it costs £150 new... and I'm really really disappointed.
The website: http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20VT1-MK3.html has some pretty nice sounding samples on it; I can't get mine to sound anything like it. I was looking for a nice light overdrive, something that could add a bit of brightness to chords and picking. At present I either get a completely clean sound, a slightly washed out sounding overdrive with an annoying prominent bass end or a really lack-luster distortion :(

I'm either doing something terribly wrong with it, or it's going to have to go back on e-bay.

Anyone have any recommendations for a nice light overdrive pedal? - true bypass would be nice.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

No need to go down the tube road to get a great overdrive. Check out the Paul Cochrane Timmy, it's $129 though there's a wait-list of a few months. Great sounding dirt. Here's a clip I recorded of it, showing off its dynamics and how I suck at guitar.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 5, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Well, I did it, I just placed an order for:

I have to wait for Zzounds to approve the play as you pay thing, but my credit is solid, so I should have them next week.

I'm loving excited, it's my first tube amp!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Well, I did it, I just placed an order for:

I have to wait for Zzounds to approve the play as you pay thing, but my credit is solid, so I should have them next week.

I'm loving excited, it's my first tube amp!

and an excellent tube amp to have. I play on a 2x12 deville regularly, and the clean tone just oozes with sick sick tone. Using a strat with it, definatley helps too. I dont jive with the OD channel, unless it can be turned up LOUD, which in my case, it cant be, but i just throw an OCD or TS-9 in front for my dirt and it takes them quite nicely. Congrats on the purchase

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

and an excellent tube amp to have. I play on a 2x12 deville regularly, and the clean tone just oozes with sick sick tone. Using a strat with it, definatley helps too. I dont jive with the OD channel, unless it can be turned up LOUD, which in my case, it cant be, but i just throw an OCD or TS-9 in front for my dirt and it takes them quite nicely. Congrats on the purchase

Thanks! I'm probably going to toss in a Dr. Z Brake Lite so I can crank it, but worse comes to worse, there's always the White Light.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.
Carbohydrates, you have such incredibly cool guitars. There is no one in this thread I'm more jealous of, and you're always getting something better. I know everyone's always razzing on Agreed, but your purchases are 6 and 7 thousand dollar guitars...

And after all that, months of reading this thread, and you play through an eighties solid state Peavey? Purty surprising.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
I bought an EUB:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

From this guy:

http://www.mandobassman.com/2x4.html

If you've been considering getting an EUB I would highly recommend this one. This guy does an awesome job putting these together and they sound fantastic. I'm a little worried about the stability of the fir but for $130 I think I can deal with some slight warping. I honestly can't believe he's selling these for this cheap because he is obviously putting a lot of work into them. This will be the perfect stepping stone for when I one day upgrade to the real thing.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

PoorPeteBest posted:

I bought an EUB:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

From this guy:

http://www.mandobassman.com/2x4.html

If you've been considering getting an EUB I would highly recommend this one. This guy does an awesome job putting these together and they sound fantastic. I'm a little worried about the stability of the fir but for $130 I think I can deal with some slight warping. I honestly can't believe he's selling these for this cheap because he is obviously putting a lot of work into them. This will be the perfect stepping stone for when I one day upgrade to the real thing.

Any chance you could post some sound clips of that thing?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Los Padre posted:

Carbohydrates, you have such incredibly cool guitars. There is no one in this thread I'm more jealous of, and you're always getting something better. I know everyone's always razzing on Agreed, but your purchases are 6 and 7 thousand dollar guitars...

And after all that, months of reading this thread, and you play through an eighties solid state Peavey? Purty surprising.
Thanks, but there are a few factual errors there:

- I have never paid more than $4,700 for a guitar
- That Peavey is a 65 watt AB tube amp - no solid states here. It's also far from stock.
- I use other amps, too, I just love that one the most!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

Thanks, but there are a few factual errors there:

- I have never paid more than $4,700 for a guitar
- That Peavey is a 65 watt AB tube amp - no solid states here. It's also far from stock.
- I use other amps, too, I just love that one the most!

You had that amp listed as a Bandit before I would have sworn. I about peed when I saw you were running that gorgeous LP thru a lovely solid state amp. ]

Now that I look closer I can see it is indeed a Bravo, which were amazing sounding amps for the money. If yours is tweaked I bet it sounds amazing.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I had never heard of the Bravo before...how is it at high-gain modern distortion type tones?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

warwick5s posted:

I had never heard of the Bravo before...how is it at high-gain modern distortion type tones?
Its gain is more in the form of drive than distortion so it can't really get into meedly territory without pedal assistance, but if you just like hard rock or anything that requires overdrive, it's great.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Right now Guitar Center is offering the Gibson Faded SG w/bag for $700 flat. If it didn't have dot inlays I'd be $700 poorer right now.

e: I don't play bass but this looks like vintage sex: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/1206011666.html

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 6, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

e: I don't play bass but this looks like vintage sex: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/1206011666.html

Nice. Definitely not original and WAY overpriced. Original SBs had two of the mini-humbuckers. Should be $500-600 tops.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 6, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
As soon as I'm done paying of that drat HRDV 410 (August :smith: ), this will likely be the next item to feel the gentle caress of my hard-earned dollars. Maybe alongside a new bass amp? (thinking this regarding that purchase)

Scarf, while you're here, can I get your opinion?

L1quid
Feb 4, 2004
Dumbfounded
New amp next to my bass.

http://stashbox.org/525909/new-amp.jpg

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorilla Salsa posted:

As soon as I'm done paying of that drat HRDV 410 (August :smith: ), this will likely be the next item to feel the gentle caress of my hard-earned dollars. Maybe alongside a new bass amp? (thinking this regarding that purchase)

Unfortunately I have no experience with either Spector basses or Acoustic amps =\ Although I can say that Spectors are well respected... I've just never played one.

I'd head over to Talkbass dot com and do some searches.

Edit: As for the amp, just looking at the specs, it seems a tad underpowered. Especially the package as sold... The head is capable of 200w at 4ohms, little weak for a gigging situation. Plus the cabinet that comes with it is only 8ohms, so you'll be getting MAYBE 100w out of that setup as is.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 7, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Scarf posted:

As for the amp, just looking at the specs, it seems a tad underpowered. Especially the package as sold... The head is capable of 200w at 4ohms, little weak for a gigging situation. Plus the cabinet that comes with it is only 8ohms, so you'll be getting MAYBE 100w out of that setup as is.

This amp would basically be for home use and recording, I'm by no means anything beyond an amateur bassist. I'd heard great things about the sound quality of it on Talkbass, though, and it's definitely within my price range, so I thought it'd be a great starter/recording bass amp. Unfortunately the local music shop is worthless and I refuse to shop there, and the Guitar Center in San Antonio doesn't have one that works, but I won't have the money for a while anyway, so I'll probably just wait.

EDIT:

L1quid posted:

New amp next to my bass.
which one is that? It looks like it might be an Ampeg BA115(HP?) How do you like it, if so?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

I just bought this, but I need to wait for five more days for the police hold to lift, since it's used and there is a mandatory 30 day waiting period to make sure nobody reports it stolen or anything.

Anyone ever used one?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

h_double posted:

Any chance you could post some sound clips of that thing?

Here's a quick and dirty recording of a C scale:

I've never played an upright before so I'm still getting used to the whole thing. Please excuse the shoddy playing. I have the bass hooked up to a Roland Bass Cube 100. The EQ is flat and I've added just a touch of reverb and compression.

EDIT: Woah, did not realize how out of tune it was. These weedwacker strings take forever to stretch. This should be slightly better:

Also included a lame little 1-5 thing. The clicking is the strings hitting the fretboard. I don't know if that's technique or just these strings. They do seem much noisier than the strings on my P-Bass, although I don't hear them clicking when the amp volume is up.

PoorPeteBest fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 7, 2009

L1quid
Feb 4, 2004
Dumbfounded

Gorilla Salsa posted:

which one is that? It looks like it might be an Ampeg BA115(HP?) How do you like it, if so?

That is indeed the Ampeg BA115. So far I love it. Using my bass pod along with it really gives me what I was looking for, tone-wise.

Which is something similar to Jeff Ament's sound, mostly.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Purchased a DIY job based on my specifications and over the weekend I had made a tremolo arm for my weird but wonderful tele.

All at the cost of a can of beer.
(The plug is stupid and angled and the pots are going to be relocated in better positions, frets&board will be cleant up, etc, I've got it all in check :) )

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Ok so not really new or even that recent... but I took the majority of the pickguard off my '78 Ibby P-bass (whoever owned it before me cut it into two pieces).

I really like the way it looks like this :)

For comparison:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

MrLonghair posted:

Purchased a DIY job based on my specifications and over the weekend I had made a tremolo arm for my weird but wonderful tele.

All at the cost of a can of beer.
(The plug is stupid and angled and the pots are going to be relocated in better positions, frets&board will be cleant up, etc, I've got it all in check :) )

That is loving awesome. Make sure you put in some coil taps when you do the re-wiring.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

PARTS.

Two big bags of test leads, piezo discs, photoresistors, breadboard, ICs, 1/4" female connectors, etc.

It's time to get down and dirty.

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

HangRoose posted:

Man, I love the look of that neck and the design on the body. That's a real nice ensemble you got there. Do you have a project blog or anything? For my next bass I was thinking a '51 pbass, but after seeing the prices I thought it'd be a lot more fun to build one. Do you have any resources that you could link me to?

No blog, it has taken me forever to get things moving. The end game is supposed to be where that guitar has a graphtech ghost system in it which can do midi out, which I will use a midi controller for my ableton live setup. I think some other dude on here has the same idea.

I bought all my parts from warmoth.com, which is where I get all my guitars. You can get an incredible instrument for $<1500, and certainly less thank $1k if you shop around. You can also sometimes find people's warmoth builds on craigslist or ebay for cheap (they don't have a great resale value)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

I got the keeley modded one, which apparently gives me more gain and fixes some of the low end loss. Looking to try it out today, should be arriving on my doorstep soon...

I hope this fixes my low-gain sound

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
My zzounds purchase of the aforementioned HRDV 410 and Big Muff Pi have been approved, but they didn't ship :(

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?

Just a cruddy lil Squier strat that I picked up for $35. Mix in a new black pickguard, black hardtail bridge, black jack/jackplate and then some passive diode distortion, an esquire mod with some coil tap, killswitch and a GFS Dream 180 (in gold, was going to get black, but got a deal) and we've got a rock machine. Will post pics when finished.

I love making cheap guitars into frankencasters.

Ettiave
Aug 26, 2006
Cooler Than You
Got an ESP LTD F-50 and Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp recently. Loving them both!

Also ordered the EMG 81/85 Zakk Wylde pickups set. Can't wait for this to come in.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Ettiave posted:

Got an ESP LTD F-50 and Peavey Vypyr 15 modeling amp recently. Loving them both!

Did you get the tube or solid state version? I'm assuming solid state, just from the size, but congrats either way!

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Click here for the full 821x1095 image.

Godin Detour:
Short scale, 2 godin designed humbuckers, maple body and neck with poplar wings, and a hardtail with a brass plate in the back.
This is my second guitar and its like the total opposite of my stratocaster. The neck is finished really well, and this thing has fantastic sustain. The pickups are well suited for jazz and blues, but not really for harder stuff than that.

I picked it up with a case and some extra goodies for $175 Canadian which is an absolute steal. Just gotta re-string it, which will give me a chance to clean up the fretboard a bit.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

That's really awesome! I just hate the fact that every Godin I've seen has really weird/tacky/silly colours. This is actually one of the more conservative ones I've seen :\ Amazing deal though, $175 CDN (jesus christ thats amazing)!

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
Just bought this, just waiting for it to arrive now.

Edit: Metal Foundry looks like the poo poo. I must have it.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Just Chompin' posted:

Edit: Metal Foundry looks like the poo poo. I must have it.

For real that is on my hitlist.

TomasHaakeTomasHaakeTomasHaakeTomasHaakeTomasHaakeTomasHaakeTomasHaakeTom

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Could I reccomend this as a $500 alternative?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Groove-310C-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480765

Yes, it weighs a gently caress ton and is not pretty, but it seems to be a drat good deal!

I just bought this...I'll post pics when it gets here in July.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
I'm a whore. I just bought a matched quad of Tung Sol 6550s and 5 JJ 12ax7s to see how it changes my amp

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings
I just got this in, and picked up a used amp today:

It's a Blue Star Mandoblaster, a 5 string solid body electric mandolin. I'm in love with it, as is everyone else who's seen it. Sounds amazing. I'll take some of my own pictures later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Did you get the tube or solid state version? I'm assuming solid state, just from the size, but congrats either way!

Only the 60W and 120W Vypyrs are the 6L6 tube versions. I have a 30W Vypyr, and it's loads of fun.