Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Necks are way more sturdy than most people think. They want to stay straight. Sure it's easy to gently caress them up but they won't explode randomly without tension. As long as you have good wood, hardware, and a properly balanced string tension you shouldn't have to worry about anything warping the neck other than climate/environment changes. Don't be afraid of your instruments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Goddamn, that's actually kind of badass, but HR couldn't have been happy about it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

WickedHate posted:

Goddamn, that's actually kind of badass, but HR couldn't have been happy about it.

OSHA didn't exist until 1970.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83UV3Zb6FAE

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Generally you don't want to leave the neck under tension (either string or rod) without a counteracting force. These forces aren't minuscule, remember. A set of 10s is putting 100+ pounds of pressure on the neck.

If you intend to keep a guitar unstrung for a long period, you really ought to look into a rod adjustment.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

jwh posted:

Generally you don't want to leave the neck under tension (either string or rod) without a counteracting force. These forces aren't minuscule, remember. A set of 10s is putting 100+ pounds of pressure on the neck.

If you intend to keep a guitar unstrung for a long period, you really ought to look into a rod adjustment.

Is it really that complicated? I've just let it sit for a little, after the strings are off, and then loosened the truss rod to a little past dead level.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
No offense intended to any one, but I think if you have no idea about what strings to buy for your guitar, you might want to hold off on fiddling around with truss rods for the time being.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Pocket Billiards posted:

No offense intended to any one, but I think if you have no idea about what strings to buy for your guitar, you might want to hold off on fiddling around with truss rods for the time being.

This is a good policy in general. Make a plan or risk upgrade creep

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Clitch posted:

Is it really that complicated? I've just let it sit for a little, after the strings are off, and then loosened the truss rod to a little past dead level.

Just bring it to a shop and have them do a full set-up. You pick out the strings you want and they make the guitar perfect for those strings (truss rod, saddle height, intonation). Then go and play! If you do want to learn to do your own maintenance down the line, you'll have a good baseline for what it should be.

A few people get spooked by the cost (we charge $60+strings for non-Floyd Roses), but it's a lot less than a new guitar and even a cheap one that's set up right is a joy to play.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

After The War posted:

If you do want to learn to do your own maintenance down the line, you'll have a good baseline for what it should be.
I've tried to explain this so many times.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Anybody played with one of these?

It's a 412F, apparently it's a guitar cab despite being shaped mostly like a 6x10 bass cab. It's on Craigslist for $200 and I'm really, really tempted by it. I'm looking for something to put 4 Eminence Governors in and this feels too drat quirky to not buy.

e:VV I've got a VTM 120 that weighs 65lbs, this is just icing on the heavygearcake.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 2, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Have fun with your future hernia surgery.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

At least it has molded handles and wheels.

Worst amp I've ever had to move around regularly was a Fender Super Six. That thing was a beast.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

RillAkBea posted:

It can't hate me, I'm an Epiphone shiller. :colbert:

And thread demands pictures, always pictures. It doesn't matter how many identical butterscotch guitars we've seen, we need to see another. It's a disease and you're next.

I seated the 4th string after taking the picture. And just now removed the foil on the pickguard because I forgot :ohdear:.

It's heavier than my classic guitar and very shiny! :h:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hypnolobster posted:

e:VV I've got a VTM 120 that weighs 65lbs, this is just icing on the heavygearcake.

I used to have a Special 212. The heatsink alone weighed at least 60lbs.

jwh posted:

Worst amp I've ever had to move around regularly was a Fender Super Six. That thing was a beast.

On the other hand you can play the soundtrack from every David Lynch movie.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 2, 2013

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Welp, I made it into a Premier Guitar article. The old Special Red, under their Bottomfeeder bit.

So, what guitars are best to hit people with? A Tele and a Dreadnought, of course.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Pocket Billiards posted:

You've taken the old strings off already?

So, to start a horror story; I removed the strings a day before, went to a random music store the next day, bought strings (09-42), stringed the guitar...

I'm sorry, it went fine. The guitar didn't even snap in half. I didn't lose an eye either.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

So I'm starting to get a feel for what I like about certain guitars, and now I'm in tinker mode. I love my (SX knockoff) Les Paul's sustain and the tone it gets out of the Bridge Invader pickup, but I like the weight and body shape of my Squier VM Strat better.

I'm wondering if I should pull the Invader out of the LP and shove it into my Strat (it's routed properly for HSS). I'll also need to replace the lovely pot metal block with a steel one.

Then again, there's something telling me I'm overthinking things and that I should just get an HH Jag...

Extra chrome for your pleasure:

Offest body, humbuckers, no lovely trem system to fight. :swoon: The only flaw is the lack of a maple neck option to go with that black finish.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

After The War posted:

Just bring it to a shop and have them do a full set-up. You pick out the strings you want and they make the guitar perfect for those strings (truss rod, saddle height, intonation). Then go and play! If you do want to learn to do your own maintenance down the line, you'll have a good baseline for what it should be.

A few people get spooked by the cost (we charge $60+strings for non-Floyd Roses), but it's a lot less than a new guitar and even a cheap one that's set up right is a joy to play.

I don't have a problem setting up my guitars. What I was referring to was storing a guitar without strings for awhile. I have a couple that I tore down for new hardware, right before I got laid off, and my income halved. I just did what I said in my earlier post, and there's no bowing or twisting on either of the necks, after several months.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
There's some kind of American Something Something Jazzmaster out now. ToM/Stop Tail with humbuckers under P90 covers.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Even the modern jazzmaster pickups weren't really jazzmaster pickups internally. They're really a kind of oddball design.

I have a line on a '64 and a '65 jazzmaster right now, I'm just debating whether I really need another guitar.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Zonekeeper posted:

Offest body, humbuckers, no lovely trem system to fight.

Take those opinions to offsetguitars.com and see how quickly the post-count will rise. :allears:

Also I will whole-heartedly disagree with anybody who says that the Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem is terrible (but the bridge on the other hand...). :colbert:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really don't get trems. I've tried. I've tried some of the best. They're all equally annoying and unnecessary feeling. I know it's a matter of taste no doubt but I don't think I will ever desire one.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really don't get trems. I've tried. I've tried some of the best. They're all equally annoying and unnecessary feeling. I know it's a matter of taste no doubt but I don't think I will ever desire one.

In that case, no prob, I understand disliking vibratos in general. Personally I love my J Mascis Squier way too much, to the point where 'subjective taste' sometimes rolls out of my head.

That said, I will defend that trem to the day that I'll die. :colbert:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Many times a hardtail gets the job done. Sometimes a divebomb is called for. Such are the mysteries of the universe.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Someone needs to put out some kind of tremolo lesson DVD/book series.

I see what Jeff Beck can do on a strat with a tremolo, then I pick up my strat, and fiddle with the bar for a bit, feel stupid, then just never touch it again.

Almost all my guitars have some kind of trem on them(either floyd rose, or normal strat style), and I still have no loving clue how to do anything useful with them.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dirt posted:

I see what Jeff Beck can do on a strat with a tremolo, then I pick up my strat, and fiddle with the bar for a bit, feel stupid, then just never touch it again.

Almost all my guitars have some kind of trem on them(either floyd rose, or normal strat style), and I still have no loving clue how to do anything useful with them.

Only thing that I'd suggest is to just use it, feel stupid, and keep on using it until you get something good going on.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I will never buy another guitar with a tremolo bridge.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Pocket Billiards posted:

I will never buy another guitar with a tremolo bridge.

While I'm certainly glad that tuning my noodling guitar from drop-A to B standard to C# and back again is made infinitely easier by dint of it being a hardtail, I do miss the extra little bit of expression the trem gives. Granted, I'm not talking wanking the drat thing and using it as a crutch for lack of creative melody-writing like some players do, but I do feel it has its place.

edit: Also, I'd kill for an accurate tab for this. I just can't quite seem to get it by ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tIArdCFzX8

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 3, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

umalt posted:

Take those opinions to offsetguitars.com and see how quickly the post-count will rise. :allears:

Also I will whole-heartedly disagree with anybody who says that the Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem is terrible (but the bridge on the other hand...). :colbert:

While the "traditional" setup has its merits, sometimes you just like certain bridges/pickups/bodies and want to combine them. Nothing wrong with that. :colbert:

The lovely part of a Jazzmaster/Jaguar is the bridge without a doubt. The rest of that particular system I have no real problem with. I guess my first experience with one (a VM Squier Jaguar) soured me on it since they lack trem locks (Say goodbye to your tuning if a string breaks) and the radius on them is incompatible with a regular Mustang bridge. I liked the body and switches, though.

My experience with tremolos so far is that they are way too damned finicky and I just want something that will stay in tune when drop tuning and bending without making a fuss. I think I've pulled that off with my current Strat (I have the trem decked with 5 springs) but the sustain sucks rear end. That's more the fault of the lovely pot metal sustain block, though. Getting a steel one will probably help a lot.

I guess it's just my utilitarian philoshophy kicking in - If I'm not going to use a trem, why have one? Combine that with my love of certain body types and pickup sounds and I start offending purists. v:v:v

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

Joe Satriani has a book that's just reprinted Guitar For The Practicing Musician columns which includes a chapter on trem technique.

The best lesson was to unscrew the bar and put it in your case.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Zonekeeper posted:

I think I've pulled that off with my current Strat (I have the trem decked with 5 springs) but the sustain sucks rear end. That's more the fault of the lovely pot metal sustain block, though. Getting a steel one will probably help a lot

Tossing in a GFS block did wonders for my Strat. Stock MIM block on the left, GFS on the right. I never use mine, so it's pretty much locked down with the four provided springs now. I left the Fender Spec 1/8" gap between the body and bridge, but never tremolo.

Tiny Mexican block (2000 MIM).

GFS block. Bit of a size difference.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Do I really need to futz with the six screws if I want to put some slack in my EJ tremolo? Five springs so only downward motion, trem arm sticks way out, has way more down range than I like.

I am under the impression that if I leave it with just two or three springs I'll have to screw around with the screws so it "floats" correctly.

jwh posted:

Even the modern jazzmaster pickups weren't really jazzmaster pickups internally. They're really a kind of oddball design.

I have a line on a '64 and a '65 jazzmaster right now, I'm just debating whether I really need another guitar.

I'd consider taking one of your hollowbodies off ya.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Clitch posted:

I don't have a problem setting up my guitars. What I was referring to was storing a guitar without strings for awhile. I have a couple that I tore down for new hardware, right before I got laid off, and my income halved. I just did what I said in my earlier post, and there's no bowing or twisting on either of the necks, after several months.

Sorry, was getting my conversations mixed up! :ohdear:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Warcabbit posted:

So, what guitars are best to hit people with? A Tele and a Dreadnought, of course.

If someone gets hit with my lucite BC Rich, they stay hit. Or is that not what you meant?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hm. Lucite option. Not a bad thought. I'm putting axe melee in my game, and I'm trying to figure out what axes to use. The Dreadnaught is for the old El Kabong style, and the tele is because of Keef.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/fender/176572-telecaster-put-good-use.html
"A Telecaster is a drat good club."

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

CitrusFrog posted:

While I'm certainly glad that tuning my noodling guitar from drop-A to B standard to C# and back again is made infinitely easier by dint of it being a hardtail,

A Trem-King can be re-tuned all over the place before the block starts to move. I'm sure there are other similar products out there like it. I had one installed on my Tele and it functions really well for how I use it. It's probably pretty great for, say, one instrument in the stable.

(not affiliated in any way)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Warcabbit posted:

Hm. Lucite option. Not a bad thought. I'm putting axe melee in my game, and I'm trying to figure out what axes to use. The Dreadnaught is for the old El Kabong style, and the tele is because of Keef.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/fender/176572-telecaster-put-good-use.html
"A Telecaster is a drat good club."

A Silverburst Explorer would be a good option. Pretty much any BC Rich guitar. Steinberger. Gene Simmons style axe bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1048272421/tone-max-premium-titanium-guitar-picks?ref=popular

Huh. Not a bad idea.