Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

It's the same problem with Vancouver's booming robust amazing tech scene. Almost none of it are local companies, it's all basically "branch plants" for companies from Seattle or SF who get enticed with some tax breaks or what ever, get some really lovely low skill work done, and then shut it all down the moment the benefits dry up or they need to downsize. The workers are all viewed as temps. It doesn't create a healthy economy. Plus the workers know they're all getting fired at the end of the project so they desperately slave and politic to hope they'll be one of the lucky few to be invited back to Seattle, you know, for a real job.

But it takes two to tango. While decrying foreign ownership of everything there's also the question why Canadians aren't "innovating" themselves or starting companies? How much protectionism and support do canadians really need? I'm all for protectionism to grow and incubate important sectors until they can stand on their own, but in Canada these businesses never seem to get off life-support. But without actual local companies with long term stakes in the country doing all their R&D and management here, we're going to be a country of branch plants, temps, and resource extraction.

The two biggest problems are access to capital and access to markets for new Canadian companies. The first is simple. Canadian banks, while large in the domestic sense are mid sized globally and are not geared towards venture capital. They don't want to look at you unless you either very small (small business banking is quite lucrative) or large. And they want nothing to do with purely speculative endeavours. Want to open a store? RBC has cash. Want to invest in a tech startup? GTFO. They also don't have problems lending to large business with actual revenue because they're fairly sure to get paid back. In this sense Canadian banks are far to conservative. But on the flip side Canada lacks good venture capitalists. Most are drawn to the states where they have access to far larger amounts of money. And most US venture capitalists didn't really want to deal with a foreign startup. They don't want to deal with cross border legal issues, it's not with it. So once a business in Canada gets to be more the a small time operation they start to have a very hard time getting capital to grow.

The next part of this is market access. If a Canadian company gets lucky and lives through the transition from a small to medium size company they're going to run into a problem. Companies always grow at home before going abroad. Canadian companies can only grow so large before having to look abroad because of Canada's small domestic market. This leaves the in a very poor position to expand abroad because they have to fight foreign domestic companies that may in fact be larger than the Canadian company in foreign soil. Coupled with regulatory protectionism in the target foreign market it becomes nearly impossible for the company to break out do the domestic trap. This is one reason government try to do regulatory harmonization. It helps to lower this barrier. But the ultimate problem for Canada in this is that nearly all of our major trading partners are larger than us by an order of magnitude. This makes it drat near impossible for Canadian companies to expand when their new foreign competition has an existing market ten times our size to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ They're anathema in D&D, but it sounds like you just made a compelling argument in favour of free trade agreements.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Except for the part where he mentions that if you're the smaller country a free trade agreement will usually see their companies moving into your market and edging out your domestics while you still have no hopes of expanding into theirs even without barriers. Free Trade agreements seem like a total shaft to smaller economies. They only seem like a good idea when the countries are more evenly sized. Of course little countries get pushed into free trade agreements not because its in their self interests, but because the larger countries around them have enough of a power imbalance to push for treaties that serve their interests. The big will always gobble up or edge out the small, not because they make a better product at a better price but because they have a larger war chest and a larger country behind them.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baronjutter posted:

Of course little countries get pushed into free trade agreements not because its in their self interests, but because the larger countries around them have enough of a power imbalance to push for treaties that serve their interests. The big will always gobble up or edge out the small, not because they make a better product at a better price but because they have a larger war chest and a larger country behind them.
This is self-evidently untrue, though - all of Europe's a free trade area but there are plenty of smaller European countries that are doing just fine and have strong domestic companies. The whole point of a free trade area is to make it as easy to do business in your neighbouring countries as it is at home.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Actually, in a purely theoretical sense, a true free trade agreement is the solution. What Canada has are not free trade agreements, they're trade agreements, nothing free about them. Batonjutter is right, our larger trade partners foist unfair rules on Canada that favour their own companies and then call them "free trade". However much an actual free trade agreement might help, we're never going to get one because established interests on both sides of the border would object too much, some for good reasons (some environmental objections) while others for lovely reasons (regulatory protectionism).

Edit: on difference between internal European free trade and say US/Canada free trade is that the agreements in Europe are far closer to actual free trade than North America. Included in the European agreementsor at least along with them is a great deal of regulatory and legal harmonization along with freer movement of people and better dispute resolution mechanisms. Couple with all that is that while smaller European states are quite a bit smaller than the large European countries, there are a larger number of them that can form an bloc to push their interests internally against unfair rules. Such a setup doesn't exist between the US and Canada.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 12, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gorau posted:

The two biggest problems are access to capital and access to markets for new Canadian companies. The first is simple. Canadian banks, while large in the domestic sense are mid sized globally and are not geared towards venture capital. They don't want to look at you unless you either very small (small business banking is quite lucrative) or large. And they want nothing to do with purely speculative endeavours. Want to open a store? RBC has cash. Want to invest in a tech startup? GTFO. They also don't have problems lending to large business with actual revenue because they're fairly sure to get paid back. In this sense Canadian banks are far to conservative. But on the flip side Canada lacks good venture capitalists.

It's a similar problem to italian companies, the whole culture plus practical problems like access to good capital funding makes it hard to transition from small cap to large cap/local customers to global customers.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 13, 2014

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

swagger like us posted:

I had big reservations about switching to a polytechnic, because I thought I was switching from some "prestigious" institution of academia to downgrade to the DeVry institute or Sprott-Shaw community college. In reality, most of the "prestigious" institutions are just bullshit branding used for the University to secure funding.
Unless you're planning on doing graduate work, nobody cares. Nobody. Higher ed is effectively commoditized at this point.

Even then, not always.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

'Ghost tower' warning for Docklands after data reveals high Melbourne home vacancies

Docklands could become a suburb of ghost towers, experts have warned, after an analysis of water use data identified hundreds of apartments suspected of being empty in the CBD precinct.

The study found about 65,000 of 1.5 million properties in prime areas of greater Melbourne could be left empty at time when more than 22,000 Victorians are believed to be homeless.

These homes either used no water at all, or less than 50 litres a day over 12 months. A leaky tap is estimated to use up to 55 litres of water a day, according to the report.

The seventh annual Speculative Vacancies study was commissioned by tax-reform group Prosper Australia, which blames the glut in unused homes on investors who hoard properties for long-term profit.

Because these homes are not listed for rent, they say this data is not included in official short-term vacancy rates, which currently sits at 3.1 per cent in Melbourne.

Prosper Australia project director Karl Fitzgerald said, based on the water data, Melbourne's actual vacancy rate was closer to 7 per cent.

The urban-renewal suburb of Docklands had the highest number of speculative vacancies, with 489 or 17 per cent consuming no water Iin 2013. Another 290 used less than 50 litres of water on average each day, leading to assumptions that they were empty or rarely used.

With thousands more apartments planned for Docklands in the next five years, the report said the new developments risked "being dubbed 'ghost towers' should there be a marked decline in economic activity".

Savills national head of research Tony Crabb believes a more likely explanation for current collection of empty homes was travelling retirees and home buyers that were not yet ready to move in.

However Mr Crabb warned that the vacancy rates would climb in the future if overseas investors were to buy up the majority stake in apartment towers. Some of these foreign buyers may not consider it worthwhile to rent out their Melbourne properties, he said.

"Sometimes it might be more trouble than it's worth," he said. "There is no doubt the vacancy rates will jump in the coming years."

Hong Kong is already dealing with a property-hoarding problem, blamed on mainland Chinese investors.

Mr Crabb said Melbourne City Council should implement substantially higher rates for unoccupied properties. "Basically hurt money," he said.

Melbourne City Council recently found 85 per cent of apartments in the municipality were purchased by investors as a "financial product", while nationally, investor housing loans now account for about half of all housing loans (excluding owner-occupier refinancing).

Other inner-city suburbs experiencing high vacancy rates are Carlton South, West Melbourne and Abbotsford. In the outer south eastern suburbs, 12.4 per cent of Cardinia and Clyde homes reported no water use.

Prosper Australia are calling for the stamp duty paid on new homes to be replaced with a holding cost on land, making it less attractive for investors to keep empty properties.

Mr Fitzgerald said capital gains of $60,000, for example, were so lucrative that renting out a property for $17,000 was a lower priority for some investors.

"Not all investors do this but the super wealthy ones probably understand that if they left 10 to 20 per cent of their portfolio empty it enforces scarcity and pushes up rent and property prices," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ghost-tower-warning-for-docklands-after-data-reveals-high-melbourne-home-vacancies-20141111-11kkxz.html

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Pixelboy posted:

Unless you're planning on doing graduate work, nobody cares. Nobody. Higher ed is effectively commoditized at this point.

Even then, not always.

I almost completely agree with you except for the fact that I don't think my university experience would have been quite as amazing if I'd gone to UNBC or something. I think I probably learned just as much as a UNBC grad but I don't think I would have made as many friends with diverse backgrounds.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Frankly, my experience at a less prestigious university was way better than at the more prestigious university. The course selection at U of C was better, most professors were as good or better (excluding a few absolutely amazing professors I had at McGill), and I found the atmosphere was friendlier. I think what makes a good university experience (including all aspects, including the education you receive) is so dependant on what you're doing, when you attend, and what kind of person you are, that it's non-sensical to think they can be rated in any sense that would be meaningful to prospective students.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
that's because u of c had way more bulldogging rigth

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cultural Imperial posted:

that's because u of c had way more bulldogging rigth

Nope, and the vast majority of rodeo season occurs during summer anyway in Canada so that wasn't an issue either.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Pixelboy posted:

Even then, not always.

I almost completely agree with you except for the fact that I don't think my university experience would have been quite as amazing if I'd gone to UNBC or something. I think I probably learned just as much as a UNBC grad but I don't think I would have made as many friends with diverse backgrounds.

You're going to have a harder time getting into one of the really high paying careers if you don't go to a good school (finance, consulting, tech, medicine, etc), both for signaling/recruiting reasons and because you can't take the same courses. For example if I wanted to work at Facebook/Google straight out of undergrad I'd be taking a ton of advanced courses in algorithms/ML/stats and that's not an option if you go to e.g. UNBC.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

You're going to have a harder time getting into one of the really high paying careers if you don't go to a good school (finance, consulting, tech, medicine, etc), both for signaling/recruiting reasons and because you can't take the same courses. For example if I wanted to work at Facebook/Google straight out of undergrad I'd be taking a ton of advanced courses in algorithms/ML/stats and that's not an option if you go to e.g. UNBC.

I also think you're right. On the other hand, having studied in the UK, I really think that Canada's undergrad university system it probably the best in the world on average. Excluding dumb poo poo like kwantlen/douglas daycare/langara/royal lols/algonquin. Punch every motherfucker with an MBA from royal roads in the face.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

blah_blah posted:

You'd think this, but I'm not absolutely certain this is the case. McGill, for example, didn't have any courses on user experience design, which is something that, frankly, anyone in software design above "code monkey" would benefit from having a working knowledge of. I think some universities, including McGill, are coasting on an undeserved reputation that comes from a huge amount of history (and some amazing research performed anywhere from several decades to several centuries ago).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

You'd think this, but I'm not absolutely certain this is the case. McGill, for example, didn't have any courses on user experience design, which is something that, frankly, anyone in software design above "code monkey" would benefit from having a working knowledge of. I think some universities, including McGill, are coasting on an undeserved reputation that comes from a huge amount of history (and some amazing research performed anywhere from several decades to several centuries ago).

makes me someone happier that the SFU UI/UE course is a third year one

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Were you in some sort of remedial program at mcgill? Or is UX one of those fuckin new fangled bullshit courses the invent at vancouver film school DIGITAL MEDIA?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think it should be news to anyone that bullshit global university rankings have little to no bearing on whether a particular undergrad program at a given university is actually any good.

Also not a surprise, many top research universities not giving a poo poo about undergrad education in general.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

blah_blah posted:

Agree. However, I think some people think there's a corollary that this means it's a good idea to study Russian Women's Poetry or whatever so long as they do so at a top tier school. Which is obviously not the case, and getting less true by the year.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Agree. However, I think some people think there's a corollary that this means it's a good idea to study Russian Women's Poetry or whatever so long as they do so at a top tier school. Which is obviously not the case, and getting less true by the year.

Yo, a top tier school like Oxford isn't going to offer any courses on Russian Women's Poetry. They call that "russian". Just like waterloo makes you get your computer science degree through the math department.

One of my nightmares is my kid telling me he wants to get a bachelor's degree in 'law enforcement' or some bullshit from capilano UNIVERSITY

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Were you in some sort of remedial program at mcgill? Or is UX one of those fuckin new fangled bullshit courses the invent at vancouver film school DIGITAL MEDIA?

No, it's an area of active research in computer science and basically includes everything from the development of the first mouse to how to make touch screens more usable and intuitive. You could argue that it has more in common with engineering than CS, but it's a fine line.

As usual, you're just an under-informed, abrasive oval office.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

No, it's an area of active research in computer science and basically includes everything from the development of the first mouse to how to make touch screens more usable and intuitive. You could argue that it has more in common with engineering than CS, but it's a fine line.

As usual, you're just an under-informed, abrasive oval office.

Nah. You're just a loving moron. Cooperstock was teaching HCI even back when I was in undergrad. So go gently caress yourself you big meanie.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

blah_blah posted:

Protip: If that's your career track, MOST schools in Canada are irrelevant.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nah. You're just a loving moron. Cooperstock was teaching HCI even back when I was in undergrad. So go gently caress yourself you big meanie.

Not at McGill he wasn't, that's my point! Whether you want to call it HCI or UX doesn't make a whole bunch of difference, it's a fairly meaningless distinction at this point.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Oh my god, UBC. Why.

http://ubcinsiders.ca/2014/11/ubc-peddles-non-refundable-master-degrees-to-naive-high-schoolers

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Canada Housing Bubble: Same old story, so we might as well grouse about the universities for a while

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

Not at McGill he wasn't, that's my point! Whether you want to call it HCI or UX doesn't make a whole bunch of difference, it's a fairly meaningless distinction at this point.

just shut up idiot

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well, I suppose it makes sense that this is coming out of the business school. Sounds like a great moneymaker for them. Lesson one should be: now that we have your money, let's examine what a horrible choice you've made!

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Pixelboy posted:

Protip: If that's your career track, MOST schools in Canada are irrelevant.

I mean, I agree with that, but I think that demonstrates that there are other legitimate reasons for going to a 'better' school beyond doing graduate work. The example I gave was mostly because that's the field I'm in, but e.g. if you want to go to a top consulting firm right out of undergrad, you might have a chance if you went to UBC or McGill or Toronto and you're really good. If you went to one of the 'universities' that CI was making fun of, you don't. Not every undergrad takes the simplest possible courses required to successfully complete their degree.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Dumb fucks justify Vancouver's inflated housing market with the following memes:
1) they're not making any more land
2) everyone wants to move here
3) best place on earth
4) rich mainland chinese investors

and other dumb loving exogenous myths

Check out what happens when a government says lol gently caress you this is dumb

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...64b581fe9fdf31a

quote:

Singapore’s housing market may face “fire sales” with mortgage defaults as the government’s property curbs hurt home sales and prices, the city-state’s second-biggest developer said.

City Developments Ltd. (CIT), which built luxury condominiums such as St. Regis Residences near the Orchard Road shopping belt, said the high-end market in particular remains subdued, with developers holding back the sale of new projects. Rents, especially for high-end homes, are on the decline, it added.

“If this trend continues, with prices dipping more, some mortgage borrowers affected by lower rentals, may have difficulty servicing their loans, possibly leading to forced fire sales,” the company said in a statement yesterday, adding that the curbs will “weigh heavily on the market.”

The government said last month that there’s some distance to go for Singapore’s home prices to achieve “a meaningful correction,” signaling the longest stretch of declines in housing values since the global financial crisis may not be enough to prompt the city to ease its curbs.

Singapore’s private home prices fell 0.7 percent in the three months ended September, the fourth quarter-on-quarter drop, bringing the slide in the past year to almost 4 percent. That’s the longest losing streak since 2009, when the government started introducing measures, with some of the strictest implemented last year, including a cap on debt.

Further Decline

“Homebuyers are waiting and watching because they think prices will decline further,” said Alan Cheong, a Singapore-based director at broker Savills Plc said. “Prices will languish into next year as developers have no confidence to raise prices with sentiment so low.”

The government said the share of homebuyers taking up multiple mortgages has slid to 13 percent of new housing loans in the second quarter from 30 percent in 2011.

Other developers share City Developments’ concerns. CapitaLand Ltd. (CAPL), its biggest publicly traded competitor in Singapore, said earlier this month “the real estate cooling measures and concerns over interest rate hikes continue to weigh down the market.”

City Developments, whose chairman is billionaire Kwek Leng Beng, yesterday posted a 4.7 percent increase in third-quarter profit on higher property sales. Net income rose to S$127.2 million ($99 million) in the three months ended Sept. 30, from S$121.5 million a year earlier.

Shoebox Apartments

In addition to mortgage curbs and higher taxes, the developer is also concerned about the government’s measures to cap the number of shoebox apartments, or those smaller than 50 square meters (538 square feet), in the suburbs.

“The market will continue to be price sensitive and favor the trend towards smaller unit format,” City Developments said. “However, these shoebox units are limited as the government had issued new rules to cap its supply since 2012.”

The developer is seeking to expand overseas amid declining demand in Singapore. In September, it invested in a plot of land in Tokyo valued at S$356 million. It will also offer fund management products, it said.

The stock added 0.3 percent to S$9.39 as of 10:03 a.m. in Singapore. The stock dropped 2.2 percent this year, compared with the 5.1 percent gain in the Singapore property index.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 16, 2019

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
@BenRabidoux's Tweet: https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/532916032596606976?s=09

quote:

Oil down again. On unrelated note, home sales in Calgary flat MTD after rising 10% y/y in Oct. New & active listings +12%, +19% respectively

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The beginning of the end?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's too early to tell. On the other hand Calgary's market was the hottest in Canada.

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
just thumbing through @BenRabidoux's feed. A gem from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/532255891861807105

quote:

Just got the most tasteless ad from a mortgage brokerage: "Remember that veterans fought for our country and we fight for the best rates"

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

It's too early to tell. On the other hand Calgary's market was the hottest in Canada.
Calgary went through this exact same thing not long ago. Between 2005 and 2008 oil prices were climbing. So Fort Mac and the surrounding area was booming, and people from all over Canada migrated to the area for high-paying work. Naturally, this also inflated the local real estate market.

But then oil prices stabilized in 2008. And since Alberta's oil industry wasn't as hot as it used to be, it depressed the region's home values. A lot of people who bought homes at the peak lost 7-10% of the value of their homes (just pulling that number from my own memory). So there were plenty of people paying mortgages that were valued way above their home's actual value.

Then oil prices started climbing again. And here we are today, seeing the exact same thing.

I'll never understand why people get all surprised when history repeats itself every ~6 years. An economic cycle is about 6 years. We seem to have very short memories in this country.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

In a matter of speaking- yes. But Calgary has been through this before. And mark my words (at the risk of sounding like a broken record)- we'll all be having this same conversation in 6 years.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 13, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/video/globe-now/video-globe-now/article21571678/
All glass condos doomed, built to fail. I heard a lot of this in the early 2000's when I was first getting into architecture. "untested" "unknown lifespans" was whispered a lot. Then results started coming in, but who cares the replacement for the windows won't come till long after the developer is done with the building. It's been becoming more and more talked about and been hitting the media more often. The developers know, if you see a developer building a building for rental they don't do glass walls because they plan on owning the building for decades. But the public still loves how they look, anything other than glass walls is seen as lower-end, and developers are fine selling buildings with short lifespans to idiot canadian condo buyers.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 13, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 16, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ascendance posted:

see, they actually did some serious investigation into the Mafia in Montreal and this poo poo came out.

In Toronto, the N'drangheta are probably worse, but since they are an established part of the Ontario political machines, we will never know the true extent of the crimes.

The who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I fervently hope that the "leaky condo crisis 2.0" becomes a "condo towers spontaneously collapsing crisis. Maybe we'll wise up after such a debacle.

Nahhhh. :allears: