Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I will play it on low until my laptop goes critical and melts down the use the wish granter to get a better pc :getin:

cheeki breeki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tabletops posted:

I’m probably going to minimum something with 8 cores whenever I do upgrade. I wanna be at least on par with ps5/Xbox whatever

FWIW number of cores doesn't matter much to gaming as much as single-thread performance.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Zaphod42 posted:

FWIW number of cores doesn't matter much to gaming as much as single-thread performance.

This is the case for the majority of games still. Most only use between 2-4 cores and even the ones that support more are still bottlenecked by one or two cores that it depends on for non-parallelled processes.

Who knows, maybe we will see the fabled multi-core games that can actually utilize 8 cores this gen. The XboneXseriesX and PS5 have to be doing something with that, right?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
My ST perf isn’t even that bad with my 6700k ocd to 4700. It was rear end on cyberpunk even though I have a 3080

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tabletops posted:

Man my 6700k has been showing its age. It’ll definitely be a problem in a next gen stalker with lots of npc simulation

; ; I don’t wanna upgradeeeee

It's not so much about wanting to upgrade these days, it's just not possible to do it. My 680 GTX burned itself to a crisp a couple months back; that's fine, everything in my PC was due an upgrade anyway. Surely the parts shortage isn't as bad as everyone says?

No, no it's much worse than everyone says. You can camp out on the websites as they restock spamming f5, but the inventory is all gone within ten seconds, not enough time for a human to click the buy it now button and have it confirmed. GPUs are all gone, except for two generations old cards going for double MSRP, there are some really lovely Intel processors in stock but all the processors worth buying right now go just as fast as the GPUs.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

aniviron posted:

It's not so much about wanting to upgrade these days, it's just not possible to do it. My 680 GTX burned itself to a crisp a couple months back; that's fine, everything in my PC was due an upgrade anyway. Surely the parts shortage isn't as bad as everyone says?

No, no it's much worse than everyone says. You can camp out on the websites as they restock spamming f5, but the inventory is all gone within ten seconds, not enough time for a human to click the buy it now button and have it confirmed. GPUs are all gone, except for two generations old cards going for double MSRP, there are some really lovely Intel processors in stock but all the processors worth buying right now go just as fast as the GPUs.

Gpus are very rough to get but cpus aren’t bad. Ryzen 5s are getting fairly available if you watch stock drops. Not selling out instantly etc.

Alternately you can buy a prebuilt system from somewhere like Corsair that’ll definitely have good parts and construction and also have all the stuff in stock.

The general price of video cards atm though are insane. A midrange card like the 3080 is 900 msrp practically and that is loving wild to me

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mordja posted:

Specs are out:

Oooof. I'm on a 1070 and technically my CPU doesn't actually meet its minimum (6600K) though hopefully that part's not actually a sticking point.

I'm literally right at recommended. Better than I figured, to be honest. I'm still going in expecting 35 FPS and constant crashes though. :v:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I finished replaying SoC a few months ago with ZRP.

What's a good all-in-one package nowadays? Something that isn't too hard leaning on survival. I think I tried CoC and it was a sandbox experience like but that was some time ago and crashed quite a lot.

Any recommendations? Should I just replay Call of Pripyat with a mod?

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Guillermus posted:

I finished replaying SoC a few months ago with ZRP.

What's a good all-in-one package nowadays? Something that isn't too hard leaning on survival. I think I tried CoC and it was a sandbox experience like but that was some time ago and crashed quite a lot.

Any recommendations? Should I just replay Call of Pripyat with a mod?

Anomaly is the current hotness for a more free-play experience - basically CoC with more stuff and fixes, better graphics etc. I think it's a bit more hardcore by default but it's real configurable and moddable, so you can make it much simpler. Also actively developed still and has a pretty big mod community.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Tabletops posted:

My ST perf isn’t even that bad with my 6700k ocd to 4700. It was rear end on cyberpunk even though I have a 3080

Cyberpunk runs bad on everything to be fair.

I have a 6700k also. I will upgrade it eventually, when games that has PS5/XSX as a baseline become more and more common. At the moment a lot of the PC games coming out in the short term are still using PS4/Xbone as baseline so ageing PC hardware isn't getting taxed too much, but that's all going to change pretty soon.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Cyberpunk runs bad on everything to be fair.

I have a mediocre AMD CPU and GPU and it has run absolutely flawlessly since day 1. I think I've had a single crash in 170 hours.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

fennesz posted:

I have a mediocre AMD CPU and GPU and it has run absolutely flawlessly since day 1. I think I've had a single crash in 170 hours.

Pretty much my experience.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Didn’t have many crashes but it didn’t run at 1440 all maxed with rtx very well. Even with dlss on speed it struggled to stay above 40fps and dipped below 30 a lot

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tabletops posted:

Didn’t have many crashes but it didn’t run at 1440 all maxed with rtx very well. Even with dlss on speed it struggled to stay above 40fps and dipped below 30 a lot

Fair point, I did downscale to 1080. I value performance over everything. Admittedly I did just get my second crash after I cracked 200 hours a few minutes ago. Though I suspect it's less 2077 and more my lovely PSU.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Not the Messiah posted:

Anomaly is the current hotness for a more free-play experience - basically CoC with more stuff and fixes, better graphics etc. I think it's a bit more hardcore by default but it's real configurable and moddable, so you can make it much simpler. Also actively developed still and has a pretty big mod community.

I read about this quite awhile back but never tried it.
Looks good, so installed and just need to dig through its addons.

While Nexus does have it own shittyness in other ways, I forget how bad looking though and installing mods from moddb was.
Like Anomaly tells you not to use old mods but fails in telling you how old they can be.

e: will have to spend an hour tomorrow trying to figure out which mod makes me crash instantly when touching anything in inventory.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 27, 2021

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
For Anomaly what population factors do you guys use? I don't want a super deserted zone, but I don't want it constant action either.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

OgNar posted:

I read about this quite awhile back but never tried it.
Looks good, so installed and just need to dig through its addons.

While Nexus does have it own shittyness in other ways, I forget how bad looking though and installing mods from moddb was.
Like Anomaly tells you not to use old mods but fails in telling you how old they can be.

e: will have to spend an hour tomorrow trying to figure out which mod makes me crash instantly when touching anything in inventory.

The mod should have "1.5.1" somewhere in the title or description if it's compatible.

Cantorsdust posted:

For Anomaly what population factors do you guys use? I don't want a super deserted zone, but I don't want it constant action either.

The default values seem fine to me for that experience. IIRC it's .5 mutant and .75 stalkers. Obviously some areas are going to have more action than others but with those settings I found that it feels pretty desolate sometimes.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I think i'll go back to vanilla.

One of my first missions in Anomaly was to take 2 guys out to kill some cats, when coming back to starter village everyone now shoots on sight.
Which on googling, this sounds like a fairly common problem of your faction just randomly changing.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

OgNar posted:

One of my first missions in Anomaly was to take 2 guys out to kill some cats, when coming back to starter village everyone now shoots on sight.
Which on googling, this sounds like a fairly common problem of your faction just randomly changing.

:allears:

So, it's definitely a STALKER game then?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I actually went through the full Anomaly campaign just recently and, while it's super impressive, and it's nice that it's on a version of the engine without constant microstutters it also made me appreciate Call of Pripyat more. While I'm sure Anomaly is a boon for anyone strictly into sandbox shenanigans, I ended up missing CoP's more authored approach to its missions and overall structure.

The campaign itself was a very uneven experience, filled with weird difficulty spikes that couldn't be explained away by A-Life intererence. That part's not really on Anomaly though since they're basically just using a premade mission set made by some other guy.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 28, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

people don't praise the stalker games for their mission design or writing but you really miss them when you play anomaly's awful mmo quests and romhack campaigns. The open world traversal is cool but the survival features are all boring as poo poo and it fucks with the mutants and makes them way more numerous and aggressive so getting around anywhere is a slog with much less of the atmosphere than the games typically have. I had way way more fun just replaying COP

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 28, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Replaying COP with Gunslinger makes me appreciate the work that went into the games as well as all the mods.

Still would love to erase all the Stingray group main quest stuff and make it about Monolith gauss weapon teams all over the zone.
Like in Zaton and Jupiter you find gauss battery packs and the Monolith atom symbol in certain places, should really be the clues that tell you that the HINDs were taken down by gauss weaponry.

e;

Hmmm.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 28, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would have absolutely been all over the open world stuff in Anomaly if the map was bigger, to be honest. As it stands the only way they can stop you from getting from one side to the other in 10 minutes is by bumping up the mutants which feels very not stalker, but at the same time just effortlessly clearing everything also doesn't sound very stalker. Hard balance.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

dogstile posted:

I would have absolutely been all over the open world stuff in Anomaly if the map was bigger, to be honest. As it stands the only way they can stop you from getting from one side to the other in 10 minutes is by bumping up the mutants which feels very not stalker, but at the same time just effortlessly clearing everything also doesn't sound very stalker. Hard balance.

Yeah it's a problem with the CoP maps I've seen people post about since forever. What you don't need is a bigger size but something that guides you from one place to another that mixes quests, terrain and enemies. The only real obstacle aside from Anomaly fields is concrete walls. And the cliffs in Zaton where you need to take Noah's secret teleport anomaly.
Which is a mechanic never used again in the base game, sadly.

A great example of open world level design is Fallout New Vegas.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Gave Anomaly another try and it has been working good so far, no major bugs except for a few CTDs.
It basically incorporates the maps from 1 and 2 and the story of 1 into 3s engine.
Plus a bunch of maps I've never even seen before like Dead City or Truck Graveyard.
Except a lot of events are missing.
Like the boar invasion at the Duty stop in Garbage, or the Duty guys in Warehouses asking you to assault Freedom, or the Scientist in Wild Territory asking you for help to Yantar or any of the need to take over spots in the Clear Sky Swamps.
But it is a wide open series of maps that lets you go anywhere you want with a slider to adjust the amount of enemies to your liking.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Get a mod manager if you're not using one already. I personally use Mod Organizer 2 which helps if you are playing with a lot of addons when the inevitable mod conflict happens.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

man, i guess i killed some pervy stalkers today:

idk why the monolith would even want to pay me for that stuff

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

OgNar posted:

you might have had a random ricochet or something that hit someone back in the village. it happened to me when i started a game as freedom, and threw a nade at the duty guys at the village near the outer walls of the freedom compound. i guess one of the fragments flew into the freedom base and hit one of lukash's guards, because just lukash and his guards were hostile to me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

juggalo baby coffin posted:

man, i guess i killed some pervy stalkers today:

idk why the monolith would even want to pay me for that stuff

The zone is a lonely place for everyone.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

MariusLecter posted:

The zone is a lonely place for everyone.

Such is hentai in the Zone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not the Messiah posted:

Thanks! Are some variables like stamina consumption while running easy to tune? I liked to stack endurance artifacts on SoC so I could carry a lot of stuff and still be able to sprint around endlessly (that didn't get nerfed on ZRP iirc and liked it to still be there).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Guillermus posted:

Thanks! Are some variables like stamina consumption while running easy to tune? I liked to stack endurance artifacts on SoC so I could carry a lot of stuff and still be able to sprint around endlessly (that didn't get nerfed on ZRP iirc and liked it to still be there).

There is an inventory slider that lets you go up to 500lb.
I'm up to Pripyat now and havent found any artifacts that help with endurance at all.
I have found a bunch that just read 100% efficiency though but have no idea wtf that even means since it doesnt seem to do anything.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

OgNar posted:

I have found a bunch that just read 100% efficiency though but have no idea wtf that even means since it doesnt seem to do anything.

Those are just to sell

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

OgNar posted:

Those ones are just junk artifacts, they're for selling for a decent amount of cash although some of them can be very heavy to carry around.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

What's the best way to playthrough the original story of SoC nowadays? I've only ever played through Call of Pripyat since it was the least crashy and they had matured their mechanics and systems at that point and it was great! I'm still interested in the original game's story, though.

I installed Lost Alpha and started it which seems like a good choice but there's russian VO and no subtitles which makes it a little difficult to follow at times.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
OGSE should still be good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My 2c is that Lost Alpha is absolute trash. Impressive, and I'm sure it took a lot of work but no good, I uninstalled in frustration after the interminable Darkscape chase sequence.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

autumn aurora improves the graphics a bit and leaves everything else mostly untouched iirc

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Monolith. posted:

OGSE should still be good.

Mordja posted:

My 2c is that Lost Alpha is absolute trash. Impressive, and I'm sure it took a lot of work but no good, I uninstalled in frustration after the interminable Darkscape chase sequence.

Glad I asked before I actually started my playthrough! OGSE (now OGSR) seems to be exactly what I want and I managed to find the most recent english translated packaged build from May. It felt good hearing Sidorovich's english VO again.

Time to see how far I can get before getting too scared!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Wasn't it Lost Alpha that had drivable vehicles? That you could take right into a Whirligig and get launched across entire sectors?

I remember getting tossed from the road leading out of the Stalker camp in Cordon, all the way to the big building right outside the Garbage entrance to the Bar. Wheeeee! And I'd've been able to drive off again, if the car hadn't landed on it's roof...