Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Asehujiko posted:

If I'm at ~1.2m SM, where should I go for sunbroing? By killing OIK I apparently hit a threshhold that made IK not result in a single hit any more.

Smelter Demon. Tons of people leave him for later, so you'll get a lot of high level players looking for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Gortarius posted:

An assembly of the greatest warriors in the land.

Dark Souls II: Oblivion Edition

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I was getting white phantom hits for the Undead Purgatory boss after beating the final boss, guess I wasn't the only one who left it for the very end since it was optional and the path there is annoying. I'd guess you might be able to get summoned there at any level.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hmm..best way to go about a no rest ng+ run? Is it time to abuse magic?

exser
Aug 18, 2003

bef posted:

Lot's of co-op. Magic is always a good thing.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Was the final boss supposed to be a total chump? Good game but ran out of steam towards the end.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

An Actual Bear posted:

Was the final boss supposed to be a total chump? Good game but ran out of steam towards the end.

Every boss is a chump with Resonant Soul/Sunlight Spear/Crystal Soul Spear antics :shrug:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

An Actual Bear posted:

I don't know, but they were. I brought two sunbros along with me to kill Watcher and Defender and then was suddenly surprised when the final boss just showed up out of nowhere right after. Both of my phantoms immediately switched to ranged, so I took the hint and did the same. This turned the final boss into an incredibly slow moving target that got pummeled to death by lightning spears. :shrug: Hell, I even got in close once or twice to get a few hits, and just had to dodge some hilariously telegraphed and slow swipes. loving Vendrick was a harder boss.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

bef posted:

Doing a no bonfire run too. The most important part is probably upgrading and improving all your poo poo, and if you have souls to spare, making a spare copy of your favorite weapons, or buying a bunch of repair powder. If your weapon breaks you can't really repair it without getting to the next primal fire or backtracking several levels except without any of the bonfires. Upgrading and leveling is similarly difficult. Basically you want to be set-up completely character and gear wise before you start the run. Fights aren't particularly harder on NG+ and dying isn't a problem either so apart from that you can play as you would normally.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Watcher/Defender, like pretty much every multiple-enemy boss in the series that isn't Skeleton Lords, is one of the tougher fights in the game imho.

Obviously having two player summons counteracts a lot of the problem in these kinds of fights.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

88h88 posted:

Yeah this is bullshit, I'm sat in the UK and bought it from Nuuvem for a princely £24.36 and it works perfectly.

Good to hear - I guess they lifted the restriction at some point, then.

Also, just fought the Rat Authority, and wow, that was tense. Glad I was packing Havel's Greatshield. :stare:

Desjardy
Aug 11, 2010

Sydin posted:

I don't know, but they were. I brought two sunbros along with me to kill Watcher and Defender and then was suddenly surprised when the final boss just showed up out of nowhere right after. Both of my phantoms immediately switched to ranged, so I took the hint and did the same. This turned the final boss into an incredibly slow moving target that got pummeled to death by lightning spears. :shrug: Hell, I even got in close once or twice to get a few hits, and just had to dodge some hilariously telegraphed and slow swipes. loving Vendrick was a harder boss.

When the end credits rolled after killing that guy I was actually surprised. I didn't even realize he was the last boss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're all incredibly weak to lightning. I don't think I even needed to use any spell use restoratives in that fight. Only boss I died to after reaching Drangleic was the Giant Lord, and that's not because it's hard. It's just badly designed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hahaha, just won a bellbro session when me and another guy managed to tag team the intruder and put him down despite his turtling attempts. I immediatly hit "Praise the Sun!" out of instinct only to feel like an idiot. At least until I noticed that the other guy had done the exact same thing.

Even when I'm not sunbroing, I'm sunbroing. :allears:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Can I still use Sunlight Spear if I abandon the covenant?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sankis posted:

Can I still use Sunlight Spear if I abandon the covenant?

Yeah, it's not like the last game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
so gavlan. is where now? i keep carrying around all my duplicate armour sets because i need to get in on that wheelin' and the drunk bastard buggers off, twice now! last time i saw him was in harvest valley.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Deaderinred posted:

so gavlan. is where now? i keep carrying around all my duplicate armour sets because i need to get in on that wheelin' and the drunk bastard buggers off, twice now! last time i saw him was in harvest valley.

Doors of Pharos.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Domattee posted:

Doing a no bonfire run too. The most important part is probably upgrading and improving all your poo poo, and if you have souls to spare, making a spare copy of your favorite weapons, or buying a bunch of repair powder. If your weapon breaks you can't really repair it without getting to the next primal fire or backtracking several levels except without any of the bonfires. Upgrading and leveling is similarly difficult. Basically you want to be set-up completely character and gear wise before you start the run. Fights aren't particularly harder on NG+ and dying isn't a problem either so apart from that you can play as you would normally.

Yeah this was what I was speculating. I really don't know anything about magic in this game so I was planning on upgrading some of these heavy-hitter boss toys and amassing a ton of magic bolts/repair armor/effigies, etc beforehand.

I guess I should actually upgrade my armor now.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gortarius posted:

An assembly of the greatest warriors in the land.

I feel a little sad every time I summon or am summoned by someone without a weird looking face.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Very pleased with how my Pyromancer turned out. :3:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Doors of Pharos.

That will also be his permanent location, so you don't have to hunt him down anymore at least!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, Drangleic Castle is really making me feel like a chump. I thought I was doing well so far until I got here. :smith:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm currently wearing a set of Alonne Knight/Captain mixed gear and a Tower Shield with two Great Souls in my possession, which "wing" is the natural progression path and who/what should I keep a look out for in terms of my next equipment upgrade?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
edit: ^ The only "hard" great soul path is the Iron keep one, and even that is do-able. Don't worry about it and go diving.

DrNutt posted:

Man, Drangleic Castle is really making me feel like a chump. I thought I was doing well so far until I got here. :smith:

Oh no, it's complete bullshit.

If you're having lots of issues for your build you can usually just run past the enemies, though. They don't follow very far. Certain parts has a shieldasshole purposefully blocking and fixed to a door, tho.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

That place felt like a clusterfuck to me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I felt like that when I got there too. I think it's the mix of narrow staircases, traps everywhere and strong enemies that like to block everything. I just kind of did the minimum to get through it to be honest.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Asehujiko posted:

I'm currently wearing a set of Alonne Knight/Captain mixed gear and a Tower Shield with two Great Souls in my possession, which "wing" is the natural progression path and who/what should I keep a look out for in terms of my next equipment upgrade?
There's actually no full Captain set. :ssh: Also that kind of depends on which two souls you have.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Oh hey what decides what name other people see when you get summoned? Your character name or your Steam account name?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

The Syan knights in Castle Dragleic are actually where I found guard breaking and occasionally parrying to be helpful.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Pierson posted:

Oh hey what decides what name other people see when you get summoned? Your character name or your Steam account name?

Character name.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

The Syan knights in Castle Dragleic are actually where I found guard breaking and occasionally parrying to be helpful.

I just did what I always do with guys with shields. Walk up to them and when they attack walk backwards/roll away. They have poo poo poise once they drop their guard and you can stunlock them easily. Those stone knights are no joke if you pull too many of them at once though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sydin posted:

Uh, Vendrick is an optional end game boss, it makes sense that he's harder than the last required boss. That's just good design. That way scrubs don't get too frustrated, but pros have a challenge if they want it.

I can understand being a little underwhelmed with the final boss, but it makes sense to include other bosses that are harder.

DrNutt posted:

It is in many ways DS2's Anor Londo. (Style, Difficulty, Position in the game progression, etc.)

Would you really be happy if you blew through the whole game without much challenge? I was getting kinda disappointed up until then, I didn't die a lot. Its not Dark Souls if I'm not dying 10 times before I finally take down Capra Demon et al.

Drangleic is pretty tough though and really puts you through your paces. But all in all its pretty short and not really that bad. If you're having trouble, summon co-op buddies!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 2, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's too bad because art design wise Drangleic is probably my favorite location yet. Feels like a fully realized NES Castlevania to me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, Vendrick is an optional end game boss, it makes sense that he's harder than the last required boss. That's just good design. That way scrubs don't get too frustrated, but pros have a challenge if they want it.

I can understand being a little underwhelmed with the final boss, but it makes sense to include other bosses that are harder.

He's still pathetic though. It's very hard to get hit by him and you can just stand behind him at no risk for the entire fight. He hits like a truck if you manage to take a hit but it's very hard to do that.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

There's actually no full Captain set. :ssh: Also that kind of depends on which two souls you have.
The one from Sinner's Rise and the one from Iron Keep.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Can you get Sunlight Medals from Small White Sign Soapstones too, or is it just the standard ones that get you Sunlight Medals?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DrNutt posted:

It's too bad because art design wise Drangleic is probably my favorite location yet. Feels like a fully realized NES Castlevania to me.

Demon's / Dark Souls is very much the 3D adaptation of the Castlevania series that Konami could never quite figure out.

And yeah, zones like Huntsman's and Drangleic feel super Castlevania in 2.

Asehujiko posted:

The one from Sinner's Rise and the one from Iron Keep.

Try going down the well, or have you dealt with that statue yet? (Did you even find the statue?)

They're about equally difficult.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Artificer posted:

Can you get Sunlight Medals from Small White Sign Soapstones too, or is it just the standard ones that get you Sunlight Medals?

Just the standard one even if you're in the covenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I don't really get all the hate for Harvest valley and earthen peak. When I first saw that giant windmill tower I was just like "woah"

It looks like something out of a Beksinski painting or something. Its awesome.