Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am practically goddamn charming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I like to party.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I am the worst and I loving made the comment

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*shows you my butthole*

tl;dr

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

You seem insufferable

You seem mad my man

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways
this thread, by which I mean its composition and the opinions authored herein, is doggedly vitriolic and miserable

hog fat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 1, 2016

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

You seem mad my man

Yeah I was having a pretty bad afternoon today, how are you?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

hog fat posted:

this thread, by which I mean its composition and the opinions authored herein, is doggedly vitriolic and miserable

To be fair, it's also pretty hilarious a lot of the time.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

You seem insufferable

You're a big meanie

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

J_RBG posted:

You're a big meanie

Whatcha gonna do, tell on me?

Tattle-tale

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

hog fat posted:

how about you suck my dick fuckman

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
... ......

so, uh, I'm a bit surprised that people still bring up that Atwood's essay to say she hates sci-fi and has her head up her rear end, cuz afterwards she had a whole bloody book about science fiction published, in which she brought up several of her own novels when talking about the different subgenres of sci-fi/fantasy. And even in that essay that turned the internet against her, Atwood basically said that she sees science fiction as a subgenre of speculative fiction - space operas and hard sci-fi, basically. And I don't think anyone would disagree that she doesn't write either.

i saw the essay as more about definitions of the genre rather than "sci-fi is poo poo for loving children, i write Real Literature", which is how the ppl on internet took it, because they have a red light in their heads that goes off and clouds their mind as soon as somebody mentions either sci-fi or fantasy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

hog fat posted:

Some of us take the poo poo talking as a challenge to read better books instead of loving around with trash.

Read a good book and post about it, don't be a pussy because the people in here are mean, you delicate little flower.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Burning Rain posted:

... ......

so, uh, I'm a bit surprised that people still bring up that Atwood's essay to say she hates sci-fi and has her head up her rear end, cuz afterwards she had a whole bloody book about science fiction published, in which she brought up several of her own novels when talking about the different subgenres of sci-fi/fantasy. And even in that essay that turned the internet against her, Atwood basically said that she sees science fiction as a subgenre of speculative fiction - space operas and hard sci-fi, basically. And I don't think anyone would disagree that she doesn't write either.

i saw the essay as more about definitions of the genre rather than "sci-fi is poo poo for loving children, i write Real Literature", which is how the ppl on internet took it, because they have a red light in their heads that goes off and clouds their mind as soon as somebody mentions either sci-fi or fantasy.

Yeah, and it doesn't help that Atwood is a woman, and also a genius.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Franchescanado posted:

Some of us take the poo poo talking as a challenge to read better books instead of loving around with trash.

Read a good book and post about it, don't be a pussy because the people in here are mean, you delicate little flower.

looking forward to your sterling review of some obscure piece of poo poo written by a dead gay pollock in which you tell me how cool/uncool it was based on other pieces of poo poo you read without providing any evidence of comprehension :thumbsup:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Burning Rain posted:

... ......

Do you have a link to this?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hog fat posted:

looking forward to your sterling review of some obscure piece of poo poo written by a dead gay pollock in which you tell me how cool/uncool it was based on other pieces of poo poo you read without providing any evidence of comprehension :thumbsup:

this but unironically

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

hog fat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqVeRknD5k

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
the last thing i read was rabbit, run. i liked the long descriptions of shadows on the walls and the cursory mention of foreskin. could have done without all the angst, though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hog fat posted:

the last thing i read was rabbit, run. i liked the long descriptions of shadows on the walls and the cursory mention of foreskin. could have done without all the angst, though.

Updike is a pipsqueak bitch

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

hog fat posted:

I think he mostly stuck to painting

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

hog fat posted:

Are you trying to say pillock or Polack

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Or Pollock I guess

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

CestMoi posted:

Are you trying to say pillock or Polack

in my haste I did not slur properly

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burning Rain posted:

... ......

Yeah I read that earlier this year - In Other Worlds. It was basically a series of essays where she talks about her love of sci-fi even going back to old pulp novels, it's great.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

hog fat posted:

in my haste I did not slur properly

So you're in favour of the thread being miserable, I guess?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

How was high school for you hog fat?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
please do not be mean to the person who registered yesterday in order to troll a very specific subset of threads; we could all learn something from his passion.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Man shows up to obnoxiously troll only sports and lit threads

Blue squares alt found

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah I read that earlier this year - In Other Worlds. It was basically a series of essays where she talks about her love of sci-fi even going back to old pulp novels, it's great.

yea, it's this one.

i can't find the essay i was looking for, and the wikipedia tells me she first said the outrageously disparaging things about sci-fi on some BBC interview, but she talks about the distinction she makes btwn science fiction and speculative fiction in this interview, Mr. Beyond sane knolls: http://www.progressive.org/news/2010/12/152719/margaret-atwood-interview

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
She dismissively referred to sci-fi as 'talking squids in space', iiirc, which is awesome and has continued to make nerds angry for years since

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
I'm in New York and I love how most of your books are hardcovers first. Bought the hardcover of Aquarium for cheap at McNallys and found a proof of 2666 in the rare books part of the Strand.

I just want to buy more hardcovers though. The cover for Night of the Animals is gorgeous.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

End Of Worlds posted:

She dismissively referred to sci-fi as 'talking squids in space', iiirc, which is awesome and has continued to make nerds angry for years since

Honestly IIRC she talks about the incident in that book and I would almost guess that the book is a reaction to the backlash, which makes it a doubly good comment:

1) pisses off nerds

2) leads to her writing a book all about the origins of sci-fi and pulp stories she read growing up

a definite win-win

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Burning Rain posted:

... ......

Well, gently caress. That's egg on my face if true.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

the_homemaster posted:

I'm in New York and I love how most of your books are hardcovers first. Bought the hardcover of Aquarium for cheap at McNallys and found a proof of 2666 in the rare books part of the Strand.

I just want to buy more hardcovers though. The cover for Night of the Animals is gorgeous.

what moon-country doesn't publish books in hardcover?

i waffle on whether or not i like them. they're good in that they're durable but bad in that they take up more of my limited shelf space and eat up more of my limited grad student income

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 2, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Blue squares alt found

lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

End Of Worlds posted:

my limited grad student income

e-book supremacy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My goal is that once I buy a house I am going to wallpaper my reading room with the book covers of all my hardbacks

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016

Nanomashoes posted:

How was high school for you hog fat?

it went well, as I spent most of my time posturing as an intellectual

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Blue squares alt found

you'd know something about being obnoxious you loathsome retrard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hog fat posted:

you'd know something about being obnoxious you loathsome retrard

drat this guy has my number