Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
NBC sport app doesn’t let me watch soccer games after they’ve happened without paying extra on top of the loving cable.

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been put forward for a good job and I'm hoping they'll interview me, but it's a similar job to one I failed the interview for in a different city, so I know what went wrong last time: The reason that they gave was that I have no experience talking to clients, but also there was a brief quiz about SQL that I was completely unprepared for. So for this new interview I'm studying my rear end off trying to remember all the SQL I learned in university and never got a chance to use (as uni was 10 years ago I've totally forgotten most of it). I just hope I do better this time. I'll also make the point that I have spoken to C-level executives before, although only in a tech-support setting, via the VIP callers. Hopefully that'll count for something. How can I get experience talking to clients when no one will give me experience talking to clients after all?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Entry level position, minimum five years experience required. :fuckoff:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have 6 years of experience but purely tech support. This will branch out into a more high-paying version, where I'd be doing more complex fixes via email communication. As it is though my university education has been left to rot in the back of my mind due to never having the chance to apply it, so this could change that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been put forward for a good job and I'm hoping they'll interview me, but it's a similar job to one I failed the interview for in a different city, so I know what went wrong last time: The reason that they gave was that I have no experience talking to clients, but also there was a brief quiz about SQL that I was completely unprepared for. So for this new interview I'm studying my rear end off trying to remember all the SQL I learned in university and never got a chance to use (as uni was 10 years ago I've totally forgotten most of it). I just hope I do better this time. I'll also make the point that I have spoken to C-level executives before, although only in a tech-support setting, via the VIP callers. Hopefully that'll count for something. How can I get experience talking to clients when no one will give me experience talking to clients after all?

Honestly good customer service and troubleshooting (displayed by your tech support) should count for more than beep boop SQL anyway. You can pick up the drat SQL.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If I do get the interview and they want me to do one of those quizzes again I'll ask if I can do what would really be done in the situation and use my notes on syntax, or whether they want it closed book. IRL you'll never work closed book though so all it's really proving is how good your memory is. If it goes well it would mean a gently caress ton of money. At least compared to my current wage.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I ate like poo poo today when normally I eat more healthily and now my tummy hurts :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had a three day weekend and became very popular.

I don't want to socialize anymore!

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?
My blood pressure medication makes me dizzy and my sight blacks out if I stand up too fast now.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zira posted:

My blood pressure medication makes me dizzy and my sight blacks out if I stand up too fast now.

My wife was prescribed medicine for high blood pressure twice. Both times it made her so dizzy and lightheaded that she had to stop taking it.
Turns out her blood pressure is fine. We bought a $70 home blood pressure thing and proved it. She just has "white coat syndrome" and gets nervous around doctors.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Entry level position, minimum five years experience required. :fuckoff:

We require at least eight years of experience with Kubernetes.

...that came out in 2014 you dingus.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My left wisdom tooth hurts like a bitch.

But it's more the area around the tooth, the gums feel fine, but both my ears won't pop and I'm worried it's a sinus infection?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My first HDTV I ever bought in 2007 finally broke. It's 720p and plasma display so it's heavy as gently caress, like 50 pounds. Kind of sucks because I remember paying $1200 for it but now I get to buy a 4k tv. I'll probably get one of those budget Amazon TVs that spy on you with the alexa crap.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My current job is fine.
The pay is lower than average, the work is largely manageable and I really like my coworkers.
My boss trusts me, leaves me alone to work and gives me as much life-flexability as I need.
I've had a lot of terrible stuff happen to me this year and he's been extremely cool about taking off any time I need.

BUT

There is no real path for me here. The vast majority of people are engineers and scientists and all the better jobs are for them. I'm basically an office manager/IT person that does all the stuff they can't or don't want to do.

There is another job that would nearly double my income in less than three years but the place doesn't have a stellar reputation.
However, they would let me work from home nearly 100% of the time.

Do I leave a place that really supports me but pays me less than I deserve or risk a bad culture for a lot more money?

BRB gonna throw up.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Co-workers keep bringing their kids to the office. Some of them are nice, some of them are brats... and all of them are loud. This isn't a day-care!! :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The temps at work have had their training cancelled, meaning Wednesdays are no longer understaffed. The reason is hilarious.
The guy that does the training has himself been fired (we're in the middle of layoffs).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DizzyBum posted:

Co-workers keep bringing their kids to the office. Some of them are nice, some of them are brats... and all of them are loud. This isn't a day-care!! :argh:

Where do you work?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Where do you work?

An office with lots of phone and computer equipment.

At least I have headphones so I can tune stuff out when I need to focus.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

An office with lots of phone and computer equipment.

At least I have headphones so I can tune stuff out when I need to focus.

No I need to know specifically where you are. I’m already in my car.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I upped my 401k contribution from 10% to 20% and now I don't know exactly how much my next paycheck will be so I have to wait until September to adjust my budget. :smith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm leaving my current job at the end of the month and am hoping to have a few interviews but none are confirmed yet. I may end up unemployed for a (hopefully) short time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Amazon just randomly threw in a trailer hitch with my order that arrived today :psyduck:
Now I have to lug an awkward 20 lb hunk of metal around as I figure out how to deal with returns and UPS :arghfist::sigh:

Zira
Oct 9, 2007

You have a job! Karl has a job! What's my purpose?
Karl has a job!Karl has a job!
What's my purpose? What's my
You have a job! purpose?
What's my purpose?
What's my purpose?

Aleph Null posted:

My wife was prescribed medicine for high blood pressure twice. Both times it made her so dizzy and lightheaded that she had to stop taking it.
Turns out her blood pressure is fine. We bought a $70 home blood pressure thing and proved it. She just has "white coat syndrome" and gets nervous around doctors.

I tested it, and I constantly have high blood pressure, even out of the doctor's office. I'm actually pretty sure the real reason for it is my chronic pain. Not much I can do when pain means my blood pressure goes up. Maybe different medication will work. I'll need to call her and see what she can do.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I bought some boneless skinless chicken breasts from the store (well, store delivery, it's too hot out to walk to the nearest store) and for some reason the delivery guy (or the guy who sold it to the delivery guy) decided to roll a bunch of them together.

I don't care about how it is delivered, really, but even after dethawing the chunk for 20/30 minutes, the inside core of this chicken breast roll is frozen enough that I can't just peel off two to cook. Like, there's a layer of thawed chicken, but it's still stuck/frozen to the underneath layer. I'm half considering just throwing it away and going to the store and buying another bunch that are less... I dunno interconnected.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Aug 22, 2019

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

My first HDTV I ever bought in 2007 finally broke. It's 720p and plasma display so it's heavy as gently caress, like 50 pounds. Kind of sucks because I remember paying $1200 for it but now I get to buy a 4k tv. I'll probably get one of those budget Amazon TVs that spy on you with the alexa crap.
Any TV you get from a major brand will spy on you. Most of them don't actually turn off the wifi when it says it's off.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Amazon just randomly threw in a trailer hitch with my order that arrived today :psyduck:
Now I have to lug an awkward 20 lb hunk of metal around as I figure out how to deal with returns and UPS :arghfist::sigh:
If you're in the US and didn't order it, it's yours.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

GWBBQ posted:

If you're in the US and didn't order it, it's yours.

Hell yeah
I figured they probably would write it off anyway, especially when I found out it's only in the $20 range so it's not a secret ebay fortune or anything :sigh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nothing like sitting through an active shooter presentation.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Inzombiac posted:

My current job is fine.
The pay is lower than average, the work is largely manageable and I really like my coworkers.
My boss trusts me, leaves me alone to work and gives me as much life-flexability as I need.
I've had a lot of terrible stuff happen to me this year and he's been extremely cool about taking off any time I need.

BUT

There is no real path for me here. The vast majority of people are engineers and scientists and all the better jobs are for them. I'm basically an office manager/IT person that does all the stuff they can't or don't want to do.

There is another job that would nearly double my income in less than three years but the place doesn't have a stellar reputation.
However, they would let me work from home nearly 100% of the time.

Do I leave a place that really supports me but pays me less than I deserve or risk a bad culture for a lot more money?

BRB gonna throw up.

Keep the job where you are treated well and where you are surrounded by good people. More money doesn’t make up for being miserable at work, and working from home all the time gets lonely. Work is about people, not money, if you do it right.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Mzuri posted:

Keep the job where you are treated well and where you are surrounded by good people. More money doesn’t make up for being miserable at work, and working from home all the time gets lonely. Work is about people, not money, if you do it right.

This is total bullshit. Think about it. Have you ever seen an unhappy rich person? No, because they don’t exist

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you work from home you can just have underwear on all day

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

oldpainless posted:

Have you ever seen an unhappy rich person? No, because they don’t exist
Counterpoint: Notch

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Counterpoint: Notch

Notch is "money can't buy happiness" incarnate, he's the most miserable little chode and he brought it all on himself

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh, absolutely. All that wasted candy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That candy wall really is a prime example of "you can only consume so much." Yeah a candy dispenser sounds like a great idea and being able to have whatever candy you want whenever you want is great but like...why? Candy isn't exactly expensive and one person can only eat so much of it anyway. That much sugar in one place is guaran-loving-teed to start attracting bugs and critters so it'll definitely be more trouble than its worth. Not only does being rich not magically make you happy but doing poo poo like that is actually a net negative.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

oldpainless posted:

This is total bullshit. Think about it. Have you ever seen an unhappy rich person? No, because they don’t exist

More like oldfriendless.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I feel like I'm in a constant flux between being underemployed and overemployed. I currently have two jobs, and a third employer courting me. I really need to drop one before I die of exahustion but I don't knooooow :shepface:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

You cannot be in three places at once. Overemployment will *lead* to unemployment by burning you the gently caress out and leaving you barely able to do one job, nevermind 3.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The new scrubs my company provides don't have pockets, most of the remaining old stock are missing drawstrings and made for Urkle like wear.

I occasionally have to work up a sweat for up to 3 hours or so doing somewhat rad related construction.

But it pays pretty good, is union, steady, and has occasional non mandatory overtime opportunities.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I stubbed my toe yesterday, walking around my apartment in the dark. Normally that wouldn't be so bad, but I've got a bunch of dry skin on my toes, and the stubbing sheared off a layer of that. Not even close to an actual injury or wound, but enough that it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You cannot be in three places at once. Overemployment will *lead* to unemployment by burning you the gently caress out and leaving you barely able to do one job, nevermind 3.

No fuckin poo poo, hence why I need to drop at least one job. The hard part is deciding which, since they all have different pros/cons. I think I've decided which one I should quit; I'm just a big goony baby and don't want to disappoint anybody (more than I already do :v:)