Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I'm hesitant to recycle psi hypos though since I'm trying to use psi abilities over traditional weapons now. I still need bullets to finish off just about anything bigger than a basic bitch phantom though. I do have a ton of grenades though. I should probably just let go and recycle 3/4ths of them.

Later in the game there's a side quest that unlocks basically unlimited psi. Also, high-level Psychoshock will turbofuck most Typhon.

And yeah, if you're not using something and don't anticipate using it in the future, recycle it.

Also, make sure you're using the right guns for the right circumstances. Pistol is good at all ranges, shotgun is only good close up. Q-beam is best at long range since that mitigates the main drawbacks (slow movement when wielded and enemies exploding in your face). If all else fails Gloo an enemy and wrench it to death, Gloo is plentiful.

quote:

Where is the recycler room? I think I've been just about everywhere and missed it somehow?

The Ballistics Lab, in Hardware Labs 1F to the north. The door is locked but the keycard should be on a body within sight of the door. The "big recycler" is a large spherical chamber in the middle of the room with a console that lets you drop recycler grenades into it.

quote:

Also wondering if there is some way to get that Neuromod extraction machine working in the volunteer area. I tried throwing a body in there but couldn't get it working.

There's an optional late-game plot branch that involves it, but otherwise no. You can't feed corpses to it to get more neuromods/xmatter, if that's what you're wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Later in the game there's a side quest that unlocks basically unlimited psi. Also, high-level Psychoshock will turbofuck most Typhon.

Are you talking about the physic water one?

Yah I've got maxed Psychoshock and it's awesome but anything bigger than a regular phantom still seems to require some bullets to finish the job.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Are you talking about the physic water one?

Yah I've got maxed Psychoshock and it's awesome but anything bigger than a regular phantom still seems to require some bullets to finish the job.

Try electroshock if you're good on psi. Also, the stun gun. Between a source of electricity damage and psychoshock, most enemies should be safely wrenchable or require at most a pistol shot or two to finish off. An upgraded stun gun is absurdly ammo efficient.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: NM figured it out

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 17, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Okay, I finally started playing this.

I've reached the Hardware Labs area, and I picked up the Suit Upgrade 1 and Increased Recycling Yields mods, then backtracked to Morgan's office to recycle some of the loads of junk I have. I assume everything color-coded in grey is pure recycling materials, green is helpful consumables. I might also return to the sim lab and open up the safe I saw the code for in a video. After that I'll continue to follow the main quest for a little bit like the "Before I play" recommends.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Firing this amazing game up for the first time in a while. Noticed there is a DLC. Is Mooncrash any good?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yup. It's more repetition-based, learning where things are, how the Moonbase works, but it's still Prey and still fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't tell if something hosed up in triggering or if this mission is just designed terribly but the Mikhalia's father mission is goddamn nonsense. It asks me to go to deep storage and send her the file that reveals Morgan is a goddamn monster and I decide to send it to her anyways, then she asks me to come to the office so we can listen to it (lol). Then I go to my office and she asks me to go to deep storage again to find his volunteer file which is totally nonsensical to the story and such a pain in the rear end I probably just won't finish the mission. :wtf:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I can place recycler grenades on things, but it just sat there until I went up and picked it back up again. Do I need to shoot it with bullets or the nerf arrows to trigger it?

I sure hope I get a shotgun soon because the pistol takes close to 15 bullets to kill even just a Phantom. At least bullets are cheap to fabricate. I also just got Combat focus so maybe that will make a difference?

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I can place recycler grenades on things, but it just sat there until I went up and picked it back up again. Do I need to shoot it with bullets or the nerf arrows to trigger it?

I sure hope I get a shotgun soon because the pistol takes close to 15 bullets to kill even just a Phantom. At least bullets are cheap to fabricate. I also just got Combat focus so maybe that will make a difference?

On my first playthrough I missed the pistol and wandered around with nothing but a glue gun and a wrench until I found the shotgun. You don't need to gently caress with the phantoms for a while. If you find yourself engaging them, take a step back and try a different route.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Placing a grenade turns it into a trip mine, so unless an enemy walks past it nothing will happen. If you want to recycle random poo poo, throw it.

there's a shotgun in the first major area.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheBananaKing posted:

Firing this amazing game up for the first time in a while. Noticed there is a DLC. Is Mooncrash any good?

I'm not really into Roguelikes at all but Mooncrash was a loving blast.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Almost positive a bullet or a dart will activate a recyclable grenade trap. But by the same token, so will a box you throw at it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Combat focus will help, but you should really stop shooting phantoms with the pistol alone. (Combat focus also is a great boost to wrenching) Start using environmental explosives or the stun gun and wrenching them. Bullets are cheap but they add up quick. Also, I found a shotgun well before I found a pistol, so one is definitely available to you though I can't remember where off the top of my head.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TheBananaKing posted:

I really enjoyed Prey and I ended up enjoying Mooncrash even more. It fit the randomization into the story in a pretty on-brand way and even though I don't normally enjoy time limits in games, the time limit served to give me a great feel of turning a corner or entering a room and seeing some bullshit and thinking "what the gently caress do I do now" that I haven't ever really had in a game before.

I mean maybe I'm easily amused because I don't play a lot of video games anymore but I highly recommend it, unless randomization or time limits are hard passes for you.

I just kind of wish there was some form of post game challenge mode, but I may just go and play it over again some day if that never happens.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

I really enjoyed Prey and I ended up enjoying Mooncrash even more. It fit the randomization into the story in a pretty on-brand way and even though I don't normally enjoy time limits in games, the time limit served to give me a great feel of turning a corner or entering a room and seeing some bullshit and thinking "what the gently caress do I do now" that I haven't ever really had in a game before.

I mean maybe I'm easily amused because I don't play a lot of video games anymore but I highly recommend it, unless randomization or time limits are hard passes for you.

I just kind of wish there was some form of post game challenge mode, but I may just go and play it over again some day if that never happens.

This is why Mooncrash does nothing for me. I want more actual Prey, perhaps by the time we get another from Arkane, Bethesda's launcher it will exclusively launch on will actually be good :haw:.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I have already been trying the GLOO + Wrench method for the phantoms, but I haven't perfected it yet.

veni veni veni posted:

Placing a grenade turns it into a trip mine, so unless an enemy walks past it nothing will happen. If you want to recycle random poo poo, throw it.

there's a shotgun in the first major area.

There were two areas in the lobby I haven't fully explored visited yet, due to them being full of phantoms. Well, I did poke into the Trauma Center a little, then I ran back out and locked the door. I'll check them again after watching the message.

FEDIT: Found it. Now that I have the nerf gun, I can shoot buttons through windows and such.

I have 5 Neuromods, and now I'm not sure whether to get the second suit upgrade, or Gunsmith 1 so I can add more damage to the shotgun. EDIT: Found 4 in Sales Division, so both!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 18, 2019

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

orcane posted:

This is why Mooncrash does nothing for me. I want more actual Prey, perhaps by the time we get another from Arkane, Bethesda's launcher it will exclusively launch on will actually be good :haw:.

The randomization is very minimal, primarily influencing the order in which you visit locations and the tools you might desire most. The overall layout is static and learnable, which was the biggest part of Prey that I worried about being lost.

Overall it's very much the best of both worlds.

Though the moon sharks can gently caress right off.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

mooncrash needed more randomization tbh

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

JIC

quote:

Anyway, I've developed a system.

The object of this Method is to generate self-imposed tactical restrictions in Prey's roguelite expansion, Mooncrash.

The way it works: You take a deck of cards, shuffle it and draw until you break 21. Once you've broken 21, look at your assembled hand. Impose the restrictions of the numbers you drew PLUS the suits you drew. If you have multiples, use the next restriction down. Or don't, nobody's keeping score. Whether you use the restrictions for each character or draw a new hand with each death

Suits:
Clubs- Cannot use the mule operator.
Spades- Cannot build delay objects
Diamonds- Cannot build neuromods
Hearts- Must use delay objects immediately upon acquiring them.

Cards:
Ace- Subsistence Mode (basic equipment only at start)
2- No ARTX
3- Must use trauma healing objects immediately upon acquiring them (in other words, if you get hurt, build the thing or start looking)
4- Cannot use chips.
5- Can only use stungun / EMP to pass barriers
6- Can only use control modules to restore primary power (does not apply to Director's mission)
7- Moon Sharks are sacred to you and you cannot harm them.
8- Can only use ordinary (white) weapons.
9- Can only use guns against flying typhon out of melee range (applies to cystoid and tentacle nests).
10- Must use medkits and hypos immediately on acquring them.
Jack- Cannot drop anything (can only use, consume or recycle to free inventory space)
Queen- Can only carry one stack of ammo (or 300x of battery / cell) and 2 of any grenade
King- Cannot use direct harm mind powers or bullet time (*jack / summoning / defensive powers ok)

If you draw an ace and a face card, reset the simulation.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Also here's an online card deck in case you don't have one on account of having no friends: https://www.random.org/playing-cards/

Basic Chunnel posted:

Merry Christmas, here’s an alleged “bare state plus” Mooncrash save. So named because there were two more plans I accidentally picked up (skeletal repair kit and basic stun gun) and because on paper, it should have reached the final level of sim difficulty (faster threat rising, etc) but the lack of oxygen / addition of crater sandstorms doesn’t seem to be there on level 1. All personal missions unlocked, Vijay and Riley’s missions completed (the mandatory and simplest hurdles to progression, respectively).

I don’t know if I borked the save or if the overall difficulty of the sim tracks more than just how many objectives you’ve completed. But I hope you can make it to max difficulty with as close to a bare save as possible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

orcane posted:

Somebody in the Steam thread mentioned how much they'd love a new Vampire The Masquerade game done in the Dishonored/Prey style and now it's all I can think of and it sucks that it's unlikely to ever happen.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody in the Steam thread mentioned how much they'd love a new Vampire The Masquerade game done in the Dishonored/Prey style and now it's all I can think of and it sucks that it's unlikely to ever happen.

Paradox has been teasing a V:TM Bloodlines sequel or remake or something lately

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Sometimes I worry that people will just stop making AAA single player stuff in general unless the franchise is so big that it's practically untouchable. Seems like every good SP game sells like crap now unless there's a ton of brand recognition behind it :(

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Paradox has been teasing a V:TM Bloodlines sequel or remake or something lately

Just recently played V:TM. While its definitely over-hyped, admittedly a lot of its faults are in the age of the game. Some games/genres age well, but immersive first person role playing worlds do not. It will be a long time until this genre 'gets there', where the games are basically complete and further improvements are mostly technical. Like, you can go back and play old Space Sims, RTS', Point-n-Click adventure games, even old FPS', and a lot of them are still great fun despite being ugly (assuming you even LIKE the genre, that is. gently caress Point-n-Click, I'm glad you died). The genre that V:TM and Prey are in is still growing leaps and bounds with every iteration, and the older entries are kinda rough at times.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've reached the Arboretum (GUTS sucks), and one sidequest is to save the people from the Telepath in the greenhouse. My most powerful gun is the Q-Beam thing which I just found, but that barely seems to make a dent. And there are civilians involved, which, I think, it drains to heal itself or shield itself. I have the code for the door, but I don't think this is something I can take on at this point. Is this a come back later thing, or is there a trick that will help?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You can go back there whenever, from memory, so long as you never open the door they won't be able to get out.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
THEY won't get out, but IT will. Avoid the area if you're not taking it on.

I personally just hid behind a tree and kept popping it with normal guns whenever I could since the turrets where useless. Took a reload or two.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It was a mistake to run from the Nightmare into the lift I was here to fix in the first place. Everything is mean. Maybe I should get Gunsmith 3 and max my Shotgun's damage. I also don't really have the knack for using the GLOO + wrench either.

I did pick up the quest to get the special pistol, but I suspect that I'll still need another keycard to get into the crew quarters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Get the special pistol asap. I got it near the end of the game and kicked myself in the rear end for it cause it's really good.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It feels really silly how strong the mere pistol becomes late in the game, and special pistol is straight up better. (until you think that basically ever about the player becomes silly strong).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, I kind of think that upgrading the pistol is a waste of time. Even if you play optimized for it, ie running straight for the gold gun then having enough stuff saved to upgrade/max it immediately, it's still the weakest weapon in the game by far (possibly discluding the goo gun if you don't like it). Every other weapon is a far better canidate for dumping mass upgrade thingies into, and many of them don't need literally every upgrade in order to reach their full potential (ie, shotgun really only wants the dmg boost, rest is gravy). I'd probably just recommend you leave it alone and just use the naturally generated ammo on low priority targets, like mimics and breaking things etc.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What else are you upgrading? Stun gun is obvious, and you should basically fully upgrade it asap, but the shotgun is basically a melee weapon and you already have a wrench (and like you said mostly benefits from damage upgrades so is fairly cheap) the gloo gun needs no upgrades, the qbeam slows you down a lot while firing unless you upgrade it heavily (and tended to get me killed more than any other weapon). In the meantime the gold pistol is good at any range. It's a bit ammo hungry, but inventory space is relatively small for it and it won't overkill anything and waste ammo that way either. Also, it's nice for being able to ambush something with the qbeam and then finish it off with the pistol.

There are so many weapon upgrade kits lying around I don't think I ever had a concern over wasting them, and a weapon that's always viable is nice to have, unlike the shotgun which is so close range and the qbeam which can get you killed.

The stungun is mandatory. The pistol is versatile. The shotgun and qbeam are nice within their niche I guess.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Between the shotguns' dmg and one or two more Quality of Life ups, maxed taser, mostly maxed Q beam, and one or two Quality of Life ups for the goo gun, not much is left for the pistol. As you mentioned with the shotty, maxing all ups doesn't change the way you can use the pistol, so might as well get the other guns up asap instead. I think you might be underselling the shotty btw. It's less of a niche weapon and more of the default, since when things jump you unexpectedly they jump in close.

It's also possible to be overthinking things, as there's only like five guns and six enemies in the game!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The first thing I upgraded to hell and back was the Q-beam and I never regretted that. The enemies it's good against are pretty much those you don't really want to fight with gloo/melee tactics. The shotgun works really well, too, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Ravenfood posted:

What else are you upgrading? Stun gun is obvious, and you should basically fully upgrade it asap, but the shotgun is basically a melee weapon and you already have a wrench (and like you said mostly benefits from damage upgrades so is fairly cheap) the gloo gun needs no upgrades, the qbeam slows you down a lot while firing unless you upgrade it heavily (and tended to get me killed more than any other weapon). In the meantime the gold pistol is good at any range. It's a bit ammo hungry, but inventory space is relatively small for it and it won't overkill anything and waste ammo that way either. Also, it's nice for being able to ambush something with the qbeam and then finish it off with the pistol.

There are so many weapon upgrade kits lying around I don't think I ever had a concern over wasting them, and a weapon that's always viable is nice to have, unlike the shotgun which is so close range and the qbeam which can get you killed.

The stungun is mandatory. The pistol is versatile. The shotgun and qbeam are nice within their niche I guess.

The Stun gun? You mean that disruptor thing which is for the robots? I haven't upgraded that at all, because I found it very difficult to use (and yes I am struggling with corrupted operators), but maybe if I upgrade it it'll get easier to use. I also just found the plan to fabricate more ammo for it, and I do have a plan for weapon upgrade kits too. Blocked-in room in the airlock/satellite bay in the Hardware Labs

The Wrench can't be upgraded and seems to have almost no stopping power whatsoever. I'll take the shotgun over gloo + wrench most of the time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The wrench gets upgraded in the neuromod screen, not the inventory screen.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Stun gun? You mean that disruptor thing which is for the robots? I haven't upgraded that at all, because I found it very difficult to use (and yes I am struggling with corrupted operators), but maybe if I upgrade it it'll get easier to use.

That's just the thing, is that unupgraded it's awkward. It has tiny range, takes forever to charge, and is hideously ammo inefficient. After upgrading, it actually fires at medium range, charges almost instantly (you can alllmost just tap it!), and both the 'raw dmg' AND the 'shots before reloading' stats increase its ammo efficiency! Basically just treat it like the utility weapon trash it us, until you unlock the 2nd security perk, then whammo new favorite weapon for everyone. It's worth hoarding upgrade packs for.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Stun gun? You mean that disruptor thing which is for the robots? I haven't upgraded that at all, because I found it very difficult to use (and yes I am struggling with corrupted operators), but maybe if I upgrade it it'll get easier to use. I also just found the plan to fabricate more ammo for it, and I do have a plan for weapon upgrade kits too. Blocked-in room in the airlock/satellite bay in the Hardware Labs

I completely disregarded the disruptor on my first playthrough and that, it turns out, was a big mistake. Upgrades increase the range, make it charge faster and make it more parsimonious with ammo while increasing damage output. It completely hellfucks robotic enemies, but it also stuns most organic enemies -- for quite a while, once upgraded -- and while stunned they take increased damage from everything else, so it also conserves ammo for your other weapons. Once upgraded it's one of the most powerful and consistently useful weapons in the game, IMO.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

ToxicFrog posted:

I completely disregarded the disruptor on my first playthrough and that, it turns out, was a big mistake.
THIS. It works on almost everything and is often the best choice for a first hit on anything larger than a mimic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Looks like we're going to need a new thread title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j--cFOyeT7E

Prey - They called the 3rd System Shock "System Shock 3" but this is the Prey thread?