Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ah, you mean Dominion with villagers cards from the renaissance expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ah, you mean Dominion with villagers cards from the renaissance expansion?

The slay the spire guy was inspired by Netrunner. Basically it means you have multiple actions per turn and cards have different action point costs. The latter being able to balance even more insane card effects.

I should play Rennaissance though :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
For those of you that play 18xx, please list up to three of your faves. Trying to decide which 18xx to get next or maybe not to bother because I already have the good ones :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mayveena posted:

For those of you that play 18xx, please list up to three of your faves. Trying to decide which 18xx to get next or maybe not to bother because I already have the good ones :)

I think I've only played three and 1880 is my favorite. The communism portion of the game and how trains are automatically exported if an operating round goes by without anyone purchasing one creates a very interesting timing concern. Companies either pay out or keep the full operating costs for themselves which normally drops its share value but not during communism and the permanent trains are stupid expensive. Also China is an interesting map because it's Beijin smack in the center and then a ton of crappy villages and of course a giant desert covering like 1/3 of the country with some lucrative cities along the edges like Hong Kong and Taiwan that completely dry up after communism (we don't talk about Hong Kong and Taiwan, one China comrade).

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
1846/1889/1830 but that's by default :o:

I like them all though. I should get 22 and 22CA to the table soon, have you played those? I know you said you liked stock shenanigans less and those are more company based allegedly.

I've heard good things about https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28944/harzbahn-1873 and it's also on the "run good companies" side. It looks really interesting.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 14, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Haven't played a ton, but I like Ireland quite a bit. 18Mex is good too. Also really enjoyed 1822, hoping to get a game of 22CA in soon.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Mayveena posted:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Limited experience here but so far it's CZ, 89, and 46 (by default). I'm thinking 49 will be amazing and 83 a good experience. But I'm the one who just got into xx so it's like the person who lists off a couple rosenbergs, stone age, and LoW as their favorite worker placement :v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mayveena posted:

1862 - I enjoy the licenses (three different train types), tight board, and merger shenanigans. And it almost always runs exactly 4-5 hours no matter what
1830 - rough around the edges, someone's gonna hurt, but it is the "18XX Experience"
1846 - a good entry game to the series, gentler but the draft is really weird compared to every other game in the series.

Ireland is fun with the narrow gauge and because the math is easy (2 bucks woo!), it can be super mean though. 80 is fine but runs too long for my taste, 22 is sleep-inducing in the midgame and just not fun.

I'm just not smart enough for 17/USA lol

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I think the only one I really like is 1889.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Any opinions on My Little Scythe? I was interested in it because I was dating someone with a kid, but now that we've broken up I see it's on sale for $25. Odds are I'll date someone with a kid again eventually, but I don't want to make a wholly speculative purchase., so I'm wondering if it's at all worth checking out as a gateway game.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

CaptainRightful posted:

So what are people's favorite 20th Century games? Looks like my highest ranked are Paths of Glory, Tigris & Euphrates, Great Battles of Alexander, Catan, Dawn Patrol, Axis & Allies.

I'll play those first three at any given opportunity, the others rarely, just for the sake of nostalgia. I agree with Mayveena's contention that boardgame design didn't just get better in the 21st Century, it was a seismic shift.

Before 2000? It's Advanced Civ :unsmigghh:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bellmaker posted:

Hey advanced civ being the best board game of that century buddy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really like Acquire.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Jordan7hm posted:

I really like Acquire.

Acquire is probably the oldest non abstract board game that still holds up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bellmaker posted:

It's mine as well!!! :woop:

But I no longer have a group to play it with sadly. Oh well things change, maybe one day I'll re-start my meetup and get players who want to play Advanced Civ.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

Acquire is probably the oldest non abstract board game that still holds up.

Is Acquire older and less abstract than chess?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There's always one isn't there

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Go laughing in the distance.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PerniciousKnid posted:

I was classifying chess as an abstract, which admittedly is a stretch.

I could also have said oldest modern boardgame.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some of my favorite games pre-2000 were Axis and Allies, Hero Quest, Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, Talisman, Mutant Chronicles, Settlers of Catan, Twilight Imperium (1st edition), Titan: The Arena. We also played around with a lot of the old Avalon Hill games like Blackbeard and Merchant of Venus. I remember buying a used copy of Magic Realm and despite studying the rules over and over I could never figure it out.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

I was classifying chess as an abstract, which admittedly is a stretch.

I think it's fine. More than fine.

I hate the hipster definition of abstract games - "yeah, they're theme light combinatorial games, but only ones you sheep haven't heard of". It'd be like saying Poker isn't a "card game", it's a "card bluffing game", not like our precious modern "card games" which are defined as "games played with cards you can't find at grandma's house".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Poker is a pick-up and deliver worker placement game with auction mechanics.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gonna say that dominion is honestly better with expansions, the base set kind of feels like a tutorial for the real thing since so many of the cards are pretty boring. Also yeah its kind of an optimization exercise so some people bounce off it

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Did someone say abstract games? I bought Azul because I have wanted to play it for ages and I figured it would be a family friendly game for the festive period. I'm looking forward to clicking tiles together and making my loved ones angry when I take the colour they needed. Ahhh, Christmas.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Azul isn’t about stealing tiles they need, it’s about setting up a massive gently caress you where they have to take 10 tiles at once :getin:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Finally placed my Hollandspiele order.

The sale ends today. It's pretty much $5 off each item, 10% more off if your order is over $100. This is the only chance to get canvas maps (RUGS) for some of these games too.

The Soo Line, AIT and its canvas map, and MELTWATER.

Edit: Taxed because I live in the same state as Hollandspiele (Michigan), but the shipping is huge because it's shipped from California. Worst of both worlds. Or is that their standard shipping rate? Not used to paying another game's worth of shipping and taxes, I'm used to ordering from CSI.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Gonna say that dominion is honestly better with expansions, the base set kind of feels like a tutorial for the real thing since so many of the cards are pretty boring. Also yeah its kind of an optimization exercise so some people bounce off it

The new edition of the base set replaced some cards and is a little more dynamic, which makes it easier to recommend. In the old days I felt like Intrigue was a better starting place.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ravendas posted:

Finally placed my Hollandspiele order.

The sale ends today. It's pretty much $5 off each item, 10% more off if your order is over $100. This is the only chance to get canvas maps (RUGS) for some of these games too.

The Soo Line, AIT and its canvas map, and MELTWATER.

Edit: Taxed because I live in the same state as Hollandspiele (Michigan), but the shipping is huge because it's shipped from California. Worst of both worlds. Or is that their standard shipping rate? Not used to paying another game's worth of shipping and taxes, I'm used to ordering from CSI.

I bought 6 games and a dice tray, and I'm in Canada, and shipping was only 36 USD.

I think their shipping prices are just kinda hefty.

Also, they're in Canada! A couple days and I'll have them in my grubby hands, yay.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh drat is this the last chance to get rugs for ait and meltwater? The paper maps are kinda annoying

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Anyone here play Goa and could comment on it a bit? I see discounted new copies at my local store but wonder how it plays.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stratego (Luzhanqi) is older than chess and basically the first war game with hidden information and originally a referee.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

Stratego (Luzhanqi) is older than chess and basically the first war game with hidden information and originally a referee.

Nice, now I can trace napoleon’s Triumph to a a good design pedigree.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Terminally Bored posted:

Anyone here play Goa and could comment on it a bit? I see discounted new copies at my local store but wonder how it plays.

I really like the auction mechanics but the player board does get samey after a while. It's definitely a good game and worth buying discounted if you like auction games.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Oh drat is this the last chance to get rugs for ait and meltwater? The paper maps are kinda annoying

Yeah, they're made basically at cost and are considered a holiday bonus I guess. Maybe they'll make a return next year.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice, now I can trace napoleon’s Triumph to a a good design pedigree.

I've got an unpublished essay where I tie Sun Tzu to the attack rules of NT.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

al-azad posted:

I've got an unpublished essay where I tie Sun Tzu to the attack rules of NT.
Next in the series, how Machiavelli helps me to win diplomacy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

someone on eBay was selling Calhamer's journals he picked up at an estate sale and I wish I wasn't broke in 5 years ago because I would've taken out a loan to score those.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Tekopo posted:

TBF Machiavelli's most coherent advice is: "Don't use mercenaries unless you should."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SoftNum posted:

TBF Machiavelli's most coherent advice is: "Don't use mercenaries unless you should."

Looking up Machi tips and tricks for winning Here I stand.