Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Unless it's relating to pipelines.
Actually, the Kinder Morgan TMX approval incorporated "the best available science and indigenous traditional knowledge"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ford is say now to offset the freeze of the min wage, Min Wage Workers won't pay income tax next year. But for a min wage worker, income tax isn't the biggest tax they pay, it's sales tax.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
He said it before too. a) it doesn't offset the amount they lose by not making $15/hr b) they still have to pay federal income tax

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

Actually, the Kinder Morgan TMX approval incorporated "the best available science and indigenous traditional knowledge"

"The story passed down to us from generations of elders says that after many generous gifts from Raven, Bear told Salmon he wanted a bitumen pipeline to run right over this part of the river one day."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

infernal machines posted:

He said it before too. a) it doesn't offset the amount they lose by not making $15/hr b) they still have to pay federal income tax

He said it just so his chuds in in the suburbs can go "lucky poors, don't have to pay income tax!" and get angry.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What part of "For the people" don't you get?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

What part of "For the people" don't you get?

We are not people, I get reminded that every day.

Like this is going to be literally a Lucky Ducky comic.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Ford is say now to offset the freeze of the min wage, Min Wage Workers won't pay income tax next year. But for a min wage worker, income tax isn't the biggest tax they pay, it's sales tax.

So how is this being implemented? Is it just a tax cut for the lower bracket?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A tax rebate on the provincial portion of the income tax, I don't think there are any specifics out yet.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tsyni posted:

So how is this being implemented? Is it just a tax cut for the lower bracket?

Nah cause that would cut it for everybody

quote:

“Under the PC government, if you’re making minimum wage, you will pay zero per cent tax,” Ford said. “We will introduce a minimum wage tax credit so those struggling just to get ahead will pay no taxes whatsoever.”

The Progressive Conservative Party says the pledge will cost the government roughly $500 million per year and would be fully implemented by January 1, 2019. The tax credit would apply to full- and part-time workers as well as students making minimum wage.

The fun thing with this one is that it actually might make the higher tax bracket boogeyman real. If you make $14.01, do you still qualify for the refund? Are they going to scale down to a certain income? What if I get paid way more than minimum wage but only work a few hours and still make < $29k a year? There's nowhere on income tax forms to submit your hourly wage (i think), just income. What if you work a lot of OT for time and a half. Such an exciting and interesting time to be alive.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lol @ min wage workers getting time and a half, ever.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Nah cause that would cut it for everybody

Yeah that's what I was getting at though. Like the Liberal "middle class" tax cut we got. Was just curious because it wouldn't surprise me if they did something like that.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I got it at the gap. On boxing day.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Well, they're always telling us that if we had less pay, we could work more hours!

And yea, I'm not sure how they'll figure it out. It will probably be a giant disaster.

The funny thing is giving people 15$ an hour would put money into the government, because we poors have to buy stuff to, and if we have more money, we'd buy more poo poo! Conservative logic seems to be that money only goes out, never comes back. Probably because the investor class they interact does just hoard it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Oh thank you Doug for the tax credit instead of putting the money in my hands directly with an actual wage increase. :toot:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I got it at the gap. On boxing day.

How many years ago was that?*

UnknownMercenary posted:

Oh thank you Doug for the tax credit instead of putting the money in my hands directly with an actual wage increase. :toot:

Yeah, but now the government gets less money too, win-win

*I don't know about retail, but their logistics centers don't even have part-time employees any more, everyone is a labour agency temp now.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 31, 2018

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This tax credit has nothing to do with helping minimum wage workers, it's all about weakening government by restricting its income, basic grover norquist stuff. The next step will be to push up the provincial part of the HST to make up the shortfall because that burdens lower income people more. Alternately, make the tax to complex to actually get, so people can dismiss those earning minimum wage because they get to 'pay no taxes' despite non of them being able to jump through the hoops to actually not pay income tax (divide and conquer strat).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

This tax credit has nothing to do with helping minimum wage workers, it's all about weakening government by restricting its income, basic grover norquist stuff. The next step will be to push up the provincial part of the HST to make up the shortfall because that burdens lower income people more. Alternately, make the tax to complex to actually get, so people can dismiss those earning minimum wage because they get to 'pay no taxes' despite non of them being able to jump through the hoops to actually not pay income tax (divide and conquer strat).

Cut taxes. Oh no, huge defecit, we need to cut social programs that help the poor!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

How many years ago was that?*

This canadian masterpiece had just dropped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNyKDI9pn0Q

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/1057445378159771649

Congrats to Brampton on somehow becoming the dumping ground where failed conservatives go to die

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Brampton has always been poo poo, but they actually managed to elect some NDP the last time round, provincially.

Of course, then they elected Patrick Brown mayor, so who loving knows.

Yeah, times have changed man, minimum wage jobs have somehow gotten worse in the last 20 years.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Brampton has always been poo poo, but they actually managed to elect some NDP the last time round, provincially.

Of course, then they elected Patrick Brown mayor, so who loving knows.

Yeah, times have changed man, minimum wage jobs have somehow gotten worse in the last 20 years.

Huh? Every job I've ever worked has been time and a half during stat holidays. I know that it's the law at least in Manitoba and Ontario

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

My mistake, I forgot stat holidays are always time and a half, "ever" was the wrong word.

Does that apply to temp labour contractors too?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

As long as the bosses pretend to pay us we will pretend to work.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I remember posting this a while back during the election, the Doug Ford plan has two parts: 1) minimum wage people make less money because the rebate on provincial taxation is lower than the additional money they would have made from making $15/hour. 2) this redirects the cost for helping minimum wage people from their employers to the government. So even if you assume the two things are exactly equal, which Ford pretends, then it's $500 million less for the government and $500 million more for businesses. Since this policy isn't coming apropos of nothing but as a replacement for a minimum wage increase, the actual end result is the government handing half a billion dollars to businesses, which is exactly the kind of result you should expect from a conservative government.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Tonight in "we're better than America" news: Canada Border Services Agency moves to 'substantially' increase deportations

Next up: separating babies from their parents.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It may seem simplistic to say that Canada is always just 5 or 6 years behind doing exactly what America does, but it sure does seem to pan out pretty consistently.

Right now our Obama is doing the same thing their Obama did and getting away with it in the same way. Prime Minister Doug ford is not too far away.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
10,000 deportations a year is our goal? Why? What's the point? Relative to our total population, that's essentially "loving no one." People with serious criminal records* aside, just let them loving stay, who gives a poo poo? Why spend time or money removing people who just want to stay here and become part of Canadian society?

* By which I mean "we can prove you did this serious crime," not "uhhh... their home country said they did a bad thing for political reasons."

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

* By which I mean "we can prove you did this serious crime," not "uhhh... their home country said they did a bad thing for political reasons."

This includes escaped Russian scientists, right?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

This includes escaped Russian scientists, right?

I'm not sure which case you're referring to, but, yeah, I wouldn't trust the Russian government's word when it come to "these people are CRIMINALS please return them at once!"

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

PT6A posted:

10,000 deportations a year is our goal? Why? What's the point? Relative to our total population, that's essentially "loving no one." People with serious criminal records* aside, just let them loving stay, who gives a poo poo? Why spend time or money removing people who just want to stay here and become part of Canadian society?

I guess the idea is if people don't qualify for refugee status we should deport them. And since we're falling behind an edict was issued to help move things along.

I think the real issue is liberal internal polling show that this is an important issue and the party will lose a lot of support if they don't start enforcing our laws.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

EngineerJoe posted:

I think the real issue is liberal internal polling show that this is an important issue and the party will lose a lot of support if they don't start enforcing our laws.

How many people who are deeply invested in 'more deportations' will be swayed by this? I find it difficult to imagine that furthering the xenophobic politics that demand more deportations will meaningfully help them. Or be good at all.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure which case you're referring to, but, yeah, I wouldn't trust the Russian government's word when it come to "these people are CRIMINALS please return them at once!"

tack on "so we can kill them" and you're there.

https://ottawacitizen.com/pmn/news-...31-730a915c760a

quote:

Russian scientist Elena Musikhina and her supporters are pleading with the Trudeau government to let her stay in Canada on compassionate grounds — with time rapidly running out. Musikhina believes her family fell into disfavour with Russian authorities for condemning Moscow’s military incursions in Ukraine and for saying Russia illegally annexed Crimea. In addition, Musikhina says her research work uncovered information about serious environmental hazards and pollution from military activity around the large freshwater Lake Baikal in Siberia.

Her supporters say a half-dozen other researchers and officials who were aware of the data died in mysterious and violent circumstances. Musikhina’s pet dog was shot and she herself had warning shots fired over her head. The Russian FSB, an internal security service descended from the Soviet-era KGB, began asking questions.

Musikhina and her husband Mikhail fled in 2015 to join their daughter, a permanent resident of Canada, in Gatineau, Que. The couple unsuccessfully applied for refugee protection and subsequent appeals have failed. The status of their application to the Immigration Department for consideration on humanitarian and compassionate grounds is uncertain. Regardless, the Canada Border Services Agency has indicated it will inform the couple next Tuesday of a deportation date.

“Unfortunately, the Canadian government seems to want to send us to the waiting arms of the Russian secret police,” Musikhina told a news conference Tuesday, flanked by supporters and members of her family.

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May is calling on Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale and Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen to halt the removals of Musikhina and her husband.

“This is an emergency. It’s a matter of life and death,” May said.

“It’s one of the most desperate cases I’ve ever seen of people on the verge of being deported. There can be no doubt as to the danger posed to dissidents within Russia — that’s well-known.”

Human-rights activist and former Alberta MP David Kilgour, who is also championing Musikhina’s case, said she faces genuine danger if returned to Russia, given the knowledge she has gleaned through her research.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

It may seem simplistic to say that Canada is always just 5 or 6 years behind doing exactly what America does, but it sure does seem to pan out pretty consistently.

Right now our Obama is doing the same thing their Obama did and getting away with it in the same way. Prime Minister Doug ford is not too far away.

I think it's more accurate to say we're always either 5-10 years ahead or 5-10 years behind. Occasionally we get to things ahead of the states.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

tack on "so we can kill them" and you're there.

https://ottawacitizen.com/pmn/news-...31-730a915c760a

Environmental scientist, likes dogs, occasionally pisses off fascists?

I'm willing to trade her for up to three other Albertans if Putin will grease them instead.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hell, they'll love it there, it's like their Graceland. A national petrostate run by a "business-oriented" dictator with no concern for environmental regulations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jan posted:

Tonight in "we're better than America" news: Canada Border Services Agency moves to 'substantially' increase deportations

Next up: separating babies from their parents.

"Cages for children good news for Canadian steel and manufacturing sectors"

- CBC News, tomorrow

ChairMaster posted:

Are we at the part now where we get complacent and laugh about how Ford could never become Prime Minister? That part sounds like fun.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

"Cages for children good news for Canadian steel and manufacturing sectors"

- CBC News, tomorrow

Are we at the part now where we get complacent and laugh about how Ford could never become Prime Minister? That part sounds like fun.

That's not how it works. Ford is Jeb Bush. Even if we think we know who our Trump is, he's so far out of right field no one is even considering him yet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

That's not how it works. Ford is Jeb Bush. Even if we think we know who our Trump is, he's so far out of right field no one is even considering him yet.

Ezra Levant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jonny Nox posted:

How do you even define a Trump? The guy has been in power for two years, hasn't crashed the economy, started any wars or done anything too crazy that being Trumpish will mean anything in 20 years. In terms of us getting "a Trump", what is the obvious effect that would have on us and why do we want to avoid it? Also Justin Trudeau is our Trump.