Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

J Corp posted:

I've never understood why 'factory customs' became a thing.

People want to look cool. People are lazy. If you have the money, it's easy to just slam down some cash at the dealer and look cool without the effort. It's the same reason literally any custom independent underground superhip ultracool trend, irrespective of industry, gets turned into a consumer product.

See: skateboards, shoes, BMX, clothing, art, sculpture, cars (hot rods and ricebombs especially), neckbeard brewed wines, jewellery et al

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Honda Product Development Strategy Meeting, circa 2005:

OK guys, I know you're bored out of your skulls from perfecting everything and making token incremental changes to our product line. A-Team, have I got a challenge for you. I want you to find the most unsafe, ergonomically jacked, backfiring POS you can find in America and use it as reference point. Then I want you to make it reliable and roadworthy.

B-Team, you get to make a shameless copy of the Sportster.

C-Team, you unlucky bastards get to bring back the automatic transmission. Have fun with that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

J Corp posted:

The reason I ditched the front brake was because I wanted to put together the skinniest front end possible using 41mm tubes.

That doesn't look like super-agressive rake from that angle. I think it's that rear 3/4 angle shot makes the frame seem horizontal.

Are those custom triples?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Where do you get those super old-timey looking tyres? Who makes them? Genuinely curious.

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That doesn't look like super-agressive rake from that angle. I think it's that rear 3/4 angle shot makes the frame seem horizontal.

Are those custom triples?

The trees were made by Mullins Chain Drive. 4.5" width at the axle. It's about as narrow as you can get before you start running into problems with the tire rubbing on the lowers. I bought a few different wheels before the spool, and couldn't get anything to fit without rubbing somewhere.

Slavvy posted:

Where do you get those super old-timey looking tyres? Who makes them? Genuinely curious.

A few companies are starting to make vintage tires again. The front is an Avon Speedmaster MKII, which is holding up fairly decently. The rear is a Firestone Deluxe Champion repop, I got it through Coker. I'm not sure who made it, but it's wearing pretty fast. I've heard that about a lot of Coker tires. They have a pretty huge selection of vintage style tires, and some of their tires last much better than others. It does grip pretty decently, but the way it's looking, I'm not sure I'll get much more than 3k miles before it's shot. When it wears out I might put an Avon Safety Mileage MkII on the back. They're supposed to be pretty grippy (for lovely old tread design) and last fairly long.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

J Corp posted:

A few companies are starting to make vintage tires again. The front is an Avon Speedmaster MKII, which is holding up fairly decently. The rear is a Firestone Deluxe Champion repop, I got it through Coker. I'm not sure who made it, but it's wearing pretty fast. I've heard that about a lot of Coker tires. They have a pretty huge selection of vintage style tires, and some of their tires last much better than others. It does grip pretty decently, but the way it's looking, I'm not sure I'll get much more than 3k miles before it's shot. When it wears out I might put an Avon Safety Mileage MkII on the back. They're supposed to be pretty grippy (for lovely old tread design) and last fairly long.

All those vintage tires are pretty much all a huge piece of turd. Just get some modern tires that will last you some 20k kilometers and if you want to go for a retro look get white walls. Not to mention that modern tires have all those years of research behind them to make them last longer and grip better and stuff like that.

For retro look get some coke bottle red grips or similar stuff. Or brass, Add a lot of brass :)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

adary posted:

All those vintage tires are pretty much all a huge piece of turd. Just get some modern tires that will last you some 20k kilometers and if you want to go for a retro look get white walls. Not to mention that modern tires have all those years of research behind them to make them last longer and grip better and stuff like that.

For retro look get some coke bottle red grips or similar stuff. Or brass, Add a lot of brass :)

Avon Speedmasters pretty much are modern tyres, although I think they're still cross-ply but they're never going to be put on a track so it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

As to retro looks, I've seen a couple of bikes lately with what looks like nickel-plating rather than the inevitable chrome, and it looks cool as gently caress. I hope this is the next trend to hit cruisers and get rid of the overdone matt black look (although nickel plating would probably look quite nice next to matt black if it came to it).

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
My dad and I at Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

He rides the ninja

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
http://imgur.com/a/RJZ6f

Super excite for this bike.

Just waiting for my Atem suit to come in. The suit, bike, my Supertech-R boots, my GP Pro gloves, and my Signet-Q helmet are all white and black. I'm going to be a zebra.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 28, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Welcome to the 20% of people who do ADV poo poo with their ADV bikes. Can't criticise that.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I'm pretty sure that's the Acerbis KLR fender. Maybe the supermoto version.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
Took the bike out for some country roads today. Ended up on a dirt road going through a state park, but I ran across this view on the way there.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Good choice! KLR's are awesome! I gave up mine for a bmw a few years ago and still miss it from time to time. Locktite is your friend. Make sure your bash-bars are sturdy and have solid mounting, some seem to be purely ornamental or one time use only. The sw-motech bars I have are..ok. They bend a bit if you run out of talent and toss the bike down a hill or two.

My wife and I took a shortcut across the top of the Olympic peninsula a few weeks ago.

Cleaning out the garage, so I had to stuff all the scooters under the deck.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have that same barbeque.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dr. Light posted:

Took the bike out for some country roads today. Ended up on a dirt road going through a state park, but I ran across this view on the way there.

I like those a lot better with the chrome/silver engine than the black.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Old spiral highway in Lewiston.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 28, 2019

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

Old spiral highway in Lewiston.

Your buell is smoking a bit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's just raw heat filling the air.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dudes, wild fires.

Also, it thinks it owns Nevada.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 23, 2014

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Well, I got a thing. Sanchezz witnessed the beginnings of the biggest purchase I've ever made too:

Been wanting this bike ever since the comparisons started floating in but I put it off and put it off. I wanted to see what sort of financing I could get and one thing led to another. It's like riding a hot knife through butter. So different from the VFR750, which will be getting posted in the sale thread once I write up the craigslist ad. I wish I could keep it but it's going to help me recuperate my down.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Sharp.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice. Wonderful looking bike, monstrously ugly muffler.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The color scheme looks fantastic.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
5 stars from the Hushman Institute of Industrial Design and VCR Repair. Very nice.

And kudos to Sanchezz for the moral support, AKA GET THAT THING...

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Slavvy posted:

That's funny because I met up with my friend who doesn't know anything about motorcycles and he said "I like that thing, it looks like a weapon" I just shook my head. I guess they get their design cues from non motorcyclists.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
What's the dip in the tank for, seems like it would fill with rain water if the bike's parked outside?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

High Protein posted:

What's the dip in the tank for, seems like it would fill with rain water if the bike's parked outside?

It's for your chinbar at full tuck.

Also like any supersport is ever ridden in the rain, what are you, some kind of heathen?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Z3n posted:

It's for your chinbar at full tuck.

Also like any supersport is ever ridden in the rain, what are you, some kind of heathen?

Speaking of full tuck I was kinda surprised how much room front to rear the seat has. I knew sport bikes had lots of wiggle room to move yer rear end around but drat!

Slavvy posted:

Not sure if I wanna go shorty or full. I like the looks of the shorts more, but it's not "racing proper"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Gotta be able to pro out on your weight distribution, son!

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Mooooooo

ironically the saddle bags are full of burgers

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

tbb9 posted:

Mooooooo

Well, I suppose that's technically a livery...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nitramster posted:

Well, I got a thing. Sanchezz witnessed the beginnings of the biggest purchase I've ever made too:

Excellent.

So did they end up honoring the screwed up sticker price or did there end up being a reason for it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

tbb9 posted:

Mooooooo

:hf: I think you have the same saddle bags as I do. But either you or I has them mounted backwards

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Excellent.

So did they end up honoring the screwed up sticker price or did there end up being a reason for it?

They honored it, but would not come down more than 300 off it. I'm guessing it wasn't a mistake and was just one of a few with lower prices to drive some sales. Hell maybe they even changed it just before I saw it to try and squeeze a few more out the door after noon. I wish I was not a gutless negotiator :(

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

:hf: I think you have the same saddle bags as I do. But either you or I has them mounted backwards

That's the only direction they can face without hitting my exhaust so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Nitramster posted:

They honored it, but would not come down more than 300 off it. I'm guessing it wasn't a mistake and was just one of a few with lower prices to drive some sales. Hell maybe they even changed it just before I saw it to try and squeeze a few more out the door after noon. I wish I was not a gutless negotiator :(

What'd you wind up paying for it if you don't mind telling us?