Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
During most debates nobody was really expecting Mitt to put up much of a fight. He's got the charisma of bulk plywood.

The real shocker was Biden v. Ryan, the rumble in the jungle...of Kentucky. I got to watch it live as it unfolded. That was some drat good television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
That veep debate led to my favorite buzzfeed link ever.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/the-many-gesticulations-of-joe-biden

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Biden loving killed it at that debate. If you were a Romney/Ryan fan he did nothing but enrage you. If you were on his team it was a good exercise in team spirit.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
It was great, he was hamming it up even more than normal Biden because Obama came off so poorly at the first debate. I wish we lived in a world where he had a chance to beat Hillary, because I like him as a person more than her and they have pretty much identical centrist Dem policies otherwise.

Man, rewatching it, it's already a bloodbath by the time Biden is done answering the first question on Benghazi and pivoting it into "We killed bin Laden, bitches."

Ryan responds: Youtube video!

Biden, openly on camera: :roflolmao:

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 30, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This could be a good David Lynch type thing. The nomination is announced. He's got it locked. He stares up in horror. How many times is this? 10? 100? He can't remember. It just keeps happening. And when he begs, pleads, the audience not to give him the nomination again the audience politely chuckles as though they just heard a folksy anecdote. By the end of the six hour run time there's a totally placid Charlie Rose getting screamed at by a man who's stuck like a needle in the record of time.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Raskolnikov38 posted:

There needs to be a sitcom where mitt is forever trapped into running for president against his will.

This could be a good David Lynch type thing. The nomination is announced. He's got it locked. He stares up in horror. How many times is this? 10? 100? He can't remember. It just keeps happening. And when he begs, pleads, the audience not to give him the nomination again the audience politely chuckles as though they just heard a folksy anecdote. By the end of the six hour run time there's a totally placid Charlie Rose getting screamed at by a man who's stuck like a needle in the record of time.
Write up that up in 500-1000 words and McSweeney's will publish it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

pangstrom posted:

I'll give it a shot later tonight.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Can success ever taste so bitter? Forced into living his wife's dream, this one man wishes he could tell you the answer, if only anybody would listen. Trapped in time and made to relive the best day of any other person's life, Mitt Romney will forever spend the rest of his days waiting, praying, for a defeat that will never come. Tonight's word of caution, don't be afraid of failure. Because for some, that hope is all they have left... in The Twilight Zone.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

pangstrom posted:

Oh dear god, I thought you said 5 - 10 THOUSAND. I have almost 3,000 words of a tale of unearthly horror and Mitt Romney.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
But you repeat yourself.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Oh dear god, I thought you said 5 - 10 THOUSAND. I have almost 3,000 words of a tale of unearthly horror and Mitt Romney.
Haha. Maybe you have become hoisted by your own petard. (I don't know their guidelines exactly I just know they like things short and I think the premise is great and right up their alley.)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Someone on FARK started signing fake letters from Mitt,

"Human emotions,
Mitt Romney."

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Someone on FARK started signing fake letters from Mitt,

"Human emotions,
Mitt Romney."

One of the biggest laughs I've had so far from this thread.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
McConnell called Rand Paul, "the most credible candidate for Us president since Henry Clay" at his Fancy Farm speech today. Now that is how you pander to a home state audience.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

McConnell called Rand Paul, "the most credible candidate for Us president since Henry Clay" at his Fancy Farm speech today. Now that is how you pander to a home state audience.

ahahahaha

Clay lost all three times he was nominated. Also, I'm betting people know as much about Clay in Kentucky as they do about Jefferson in Virginia, if that, so very few people are going to have much idea who he's talking about anyway.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's also fitting because Rand probably doesn't want to go back to full slavery, but he might be open to a compromise somewhere in the middle.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Joementum posted:

It's also fitting because Rand probably doesn't want to go back to full slavery, but he might be open to a compromise somewhere in the middle.

Like just shipping them all back off to Africa? Yeah, I can see the average conservative Kentuckian getting behind that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

He's going to selfishly create a situation that results in the next Andrew Jackson? gently caress. At least when the Republicans go after Mrs. Andrew Jackson 2.0 like they have Michelle they'll finally get a completely valid reason to impeach a Democrat. Those that live anyway.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CaptainCarrot posted:

ahahahaha

Clay lost all three times he was nominated. Also, I'm betting people know as much about Clay in Kentucky as they do about Jefferson in Virginia, if that, so very few people are going to have much idea who he's talking about anyway.

Henry Clay was basically the Mitt Romney of his generation: perpetually running for President and always beaten by better candidates.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is happening guys

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/1/ben-carson-takes-major-step-toward-presidential-ca/

quote:

Ben Carson, the former neurosurgeon turned conservative sensation, is taking a major step toward a 2016 presidential bid by forming a political action committee and selecting the man who would run his campaign, The Washington Times has learned.

Emerging from two-days of meetings with supporters in Palm Beach, Fla., Dr. Carson told the Times on Friday morning he has selected Houston businessman Terry Giles to be his 2016 campaign chairman should he run and approved the formation of a PAC called One Nation.

“Now is the time to start all of the appropriate exploration and investigation, and put down the structure that is necessary,” Dr. Carson said in a phone interview.

Asked about the likelihood he will run for president in 2016, Dr. Carson said: “I would say we are definitely a step or two closer than we were a year ago.”

He said the outcome of the 2014 elections in which Republicans are trying to seize control of the Senate would be a major factor, and that his new PAC would try to support candidates with similar viewpoints as his.

“Obviously we are very interested in what happens in November,” he said. “And if the people also continue to show strong desire for me to run, obviously that would be an important factor too.”

“In the meantime, we will focus our attention on helping those candidates who understand the change we need in our nation, and how to lead toward the healing our of nation,” he said.

Dr. Carson, a popular Washington Times columnist, huddled for two days with about two dozen prominent strategists, potential fund-raisers and supporters in Palm Beach to study all of the “ramifications of a run and make sure all of that is fully understood.”

Among those attending the private meetings were Mr. Giles, TV and radio personality Armstrong Williams, and political email and fund-raising strategist Mike Murray. During the strategy sessions, Dr. Carson asked Mr. Giles, a friend for over two deacdes, to serve as his campaign chairman if he runs.

“Basically if Dr. Carson decides to go forward, I’ve been asked to chair the campaign and make a full commitment during the period of time leading up to a decision and during the election cycle,” Mr. Giles told the Times.

Carson/West 2016

If elected (no shot in hell) Carson would join Zachary Taylor, Ulysses S. Grant, and Dwight Eisenhower as the only presidents without any political experience

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 2, 2014

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are we on track to the best GOP primary in American history?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ufarn posted:

Is Herman Cain running again?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shear Modulus posted:

No, they got a new, even crazier, one who probably won't be undone by not being able to keep his dick in his pants so the focus would be 100% on how dumb and insane he is. This is Cain 2.0.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Herman Cain Says He Might Run for President Again in 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

ufarn posted:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Man what if West runs. How will GOP primary voters know which black dude to vote for so they can say that they voted for a black dude as a sort of racial cover? Carson West sounds like a drivetime DJ. So does Carson Cain.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 2, 2014

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No, they got a new, even crazier, one who probably won't be undone by not being able to keep his dick in his pants so the focus would be 100% on how dumb and insane he is. This is Cain 2.0.

Ben Carson hasn't referenced any of the Pokemon movies. Kind of a downgrade, IMO.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
West says he's running for Senate if Rubio runs, btw. Presumably he'd still need to announce in 2015, so my hope is that he still runs even when Rubio gets clobbered in Iowa.

Carson alone would be a suitable replacement. A Baltimore surgeon who has been pressed into taking the pro-gun position that "we need all the guns we can get because it's all we have to protect citizens from the government."

Carson 2016: When you come at the citizens, you best not miss.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 2, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

De Nomolos posted:

West says he's running for Senate if Rubio runs, btw.

Is there, um... some kind of logic behind this?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Zwabu posted:

I assume he means if Rubio runs for President, although my very quick read of the Florida Division of Elections FAQ looks to me like there is nothing preventing Rubio from appearing on the ballot for both offices simultaneously (unlike the present Kentucky law).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Zwabu posted:

Marco Rubio is a known RINO, of course. :freep:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

I assume he means if Rubio runs for President, although my very quick read of the Florida Division of Elections FAQ looks to me like there is nothing preventing Rubio from appearing on the ballot for both offices simultaneously (unlike the present Kentucky law).

Okay, I skimmed too fast and read it as he would run for President only if Rubio also ran, to oppose his RINO ways or something. Carry on.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

DynamicSloth posted:

Rubio has said if he runs for President he won't simultaneously run for Senate, more as dig at Paul than anything else.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

dilbertschalter posted:

Rubio has said if he runs for President he won't simultaneously run for Senate, more as dig at Paul than anything else.

Then Rubio is an idiot, a Senate seat is a stupid thing to throw away over a process dig that no who isn't a wonk will care about.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Rubio saw Jim DeMint ride that ex-Senator money train and exert arguably as much influence in the party as he did while in office. One Senate term, a vaguely serious Presidential run, a ghost-written book pushed by the right-wing publishers: Rubio will be set for life and a Very Serious Person in politics as long he cares to be.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I miss Herman Cain

:smith:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

Man what if West runs. How will GOP primary voters know which black dude to vote for so they can say that they voted for a black dude as a sort of racial cover? Carson West sounds like a drivetime DJ. So does Carson Cain.

:laffo: vote for a black dude. Good one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DynamicSloth posted:

Then Rubio is an idiot, a Senate seat is a stupid thing to throw away over a process dig that no who isn't a wonk will care about.

2016 is probably a good year for Democrats to pick up the other Florida Senate seat, what with Hillary running and all. Rubio has a pretty good shot at riding it out, but the money truck that backs up to your house isn't nearly as big when you get kicked out of the Senate instead of resigning.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I work with neurosurgeons and one cannot really overestimate how bizarrely and awkwardly out of touch many of them can be. Your average neurosurgeon makes Romney look like a warm, compassionate human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

comes along bort posted:

:laffo: vote for a black dude. Good one.

Herman Cain got votes, didn't he? Not many, but it wasn't like goose eggs across the board or anything.

Some republican, somewhere, at one point, voted for a black man. Not many! but still.

• Locked thread