Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I've been toying with getting an oblique from Mr Pen because I'd like to try one, and it's not that much more expensive to but a whole pen than having one of my pens custom ground. Bonus is, if it turns out I don't like oblique nibs I haven't wrecked one of my pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Their pens are heavy brass bodies with piano lacquer finish, they're really nice and worth the price in my book. They also sell just the nib units, since they screw into the section kind of like Edison pens.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If the Italix range pens were available in acrylic or good quality plastic I'd be all over them. I really dislike heavy metal pens.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
My Lamy Safari has suddenly got a bit leaky in the nib area in the last few days - any tips? Do I just need a new nib, or could something be wrong with the feed?

It seemed to coincide with changing the cartridge, but all I did was swap one standard lamy black cartridge for another.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

chippy posted:

My Lamy Safari has suddenly got a bit leaky in the nib area in the last few days - any tips? Do I just need a new nib, or could something be wrong with the feed?

It seemed to coincide with changing the cartridge, but all I did was swap one standard lamy black cartridge for another.

Try taking the nib and feed out and reseating it. Cleaning it while you're at it might help too.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

chippy posted:

Check to see if the cartridge has a crack. Sudden leaking is often related to an air leak somewhere in the feed system.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

Check to see if the cartridge has a crack. Sudden leaking is often related to an air leak somewhere in the feed system.

Heh that reminds me to suggest to check if the cartridge is even completely seated. I recently put on a fresh Pilot Metropolitan filter, and didn't really get it on there since I was used to the one cartridge I've been syringe-refilling over the past year.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried turning the pen off and then on again

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Shake the pen repeatedly to get it working. If it only works intermittently, replace the battery.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

Have you tried turning the pen off and then on again

Are your drivers up to date

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I didn't know e-cigs had drivers.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I want a Henry Simpole a like pen.

I love the look and style of his pens but a) can't afford a 2K pen and b) wouldn't be happy taking it to work every day even if I could.

I found Campo Marizo, but is anyone else doing pens with similar styling?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check the whole cartridge, nib, and feed, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll just format and reinstall.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I want a Henry Simpole a like pen.

I love the look and style of his pens but a) can't afford a 2K pen and b) wouldn't be happy taking it to work every day even if I could.

I found Campo Marizo, but is anyone else doing pens with similar styling?

China?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Senio...9AAAOSwaZdXIDDX

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Gold dragon horse good luck 5000 year copper lattice for gift pen of large senior collection real - 40 pcs

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Oh, you're definitely getting ripped off if you don't get the 10000 year one.

I ordered a preppy on a whim (because it perfectly finished off this amazon gift card), and I'm weirdly excited for it to show up (eventually). I'm kinda curious to see how well it stacks up to a Varsity, beyond 'not being a pain in the rear end to refill.'

Plus, it'll be nice to have a Platinum that doesn't have air-exchange issues.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
be prepared for the cap to crack

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
What is a good place to learn about calligraphy pens? My friend is learning Chinese and as far as I know is using a fountain pen right now, but he is considering getting a dedicated pen just for Chinese calligraphy. Right now he doesn't really know where to turn for resources on this topic.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Asian calligraphy tends to use a different style of nib compared to western calligraphy. In Japanese it's called a "Fude" nib, I'm unsure of the word in Mandarin/Cantonese. Duke makes a very nice two part calligraphy nib specifically for writing Chinese characters that's not particularly expensive.

Zenostein posted:

Oh, you're definitely getting ripped off if you don't get the 10000 year one.

I ordered a preppy on a whim (because it perfectly finished off this amazon gift card), and I'm weirdly excited for it to show up (eventually). I'm kinda curious to see how well it stacks up to a Varsity, beyond 'not being a pain in the rear end to refill.'

Plus, it'll be nice to have a Platinum that doesn't have air-exchange issues.

As has been mentioned, Platinum Preppy caps have a habit of cracking around the bottom. When it arrives it's a good idea to wrap a short length of scotch or packing tape around the the bottom of the cap to act as a cap band of sorts.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

grack posted:

Asian calligraphy tends to use a different style of nib compared to western calligraphy. In Japanese it's called a "Fude" nib, I'm unsure of the word in Mandarin/Cantonese. Duke makes a very nice two part calligraphy nib specifically for writing Chinese characters that's not particularly expensive.

As has been mentioned, Platinum Preppy caps have a habit of cracking around the bottom. When it arrives it's a good idea to wrap a short length of scotch or packing tape around the the bottom of the cap to act as a cap band of sorts.

So it's regular body plastic with no band, then? Alright. I like the caps on the varsities — they're markedly heavier plastic than the rest of the pen (unlike say, one of Pilot's V05s, not that you're likely to break the cap on one of those…)

Fatal Error posted:

What is a good place to learn about calligraphy pens? My friend is learning Chinese and as far as I know is using a fountain pen right now, but he is considering getting a dedicated pen just for Chinese calligraphy. Right now he doesn't really know where to turn for resources on this topic.

As for the fude nibs, something to look out for is that they come in varying degrees of hook, from like 15º–40º55º, I think I've seen? I know Sailor has a line…
Here, on Jetpens, the linked one is 55º, and they have a 40º in the "customers also bought" section. I'm pretty sure I've seen different degrees on like rakuten or amazon or something, though.

I think on various ebay listings they'll call it a calligraphy nib for Chinese pens, but I imagine it's a bit of a crapshoot, where you're stuck hoping they actually give you what's in the picture/description.

Richard Binder called his version a "condor" nib, but his was also designed "upside down," so to get the brush-like writing you'd have to flip the pen. It seems Sailor also makes something like that, called the Concord, and I'm pretty sure I've seen other manufacturers offer them (although certainly not widely).

Of course, another possibility is a straight up brush pen (or marker), but that'll have a bit of a longer learning curve than a bent fountain pen.

The biggest problem you'll find is that "calligraphy" in fountain pens tends to mean "italic-ish," and I'm pretty sure an Italic will give the reverse of the look your friend would be going for with asian calligraphy, unless he holds the pen rotated 90º or something silly like that.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Singapore FPN lovers group has some very skilled calligraphers using fountain pens to write their stuff. Most of them actually use normal nibs or nibs that have been given a slight italic grind. Almost nobody uses a flex. One guy uses a King Eagle from Sailor but from his other writing examples it's clear he doesn't need it.

I asked one of them at a meet once and his response was that the calligraphy technique matters so much more than the nib that you can write beautifully with just stock, and not to bother chasing some grail nib just for calligraphy.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I have some Waterman pens. One of them is a Philias I've had for years. It's nice.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I have too many ink samples from Goulet so I started a thing:

So far the only conclusion I've come to is that Caran D'ache inks are terrible in my Safari EF nib and also stain skin like a motherfucker. Right now I'm on De Atramentis Cucumber which is just delightful but too light to use as a daily driver.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If you want to do Chinese calligraphy, use a brush.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

So, my end of year pen gift to myself along with a package from China has been mysteriously forwarded to an unknown address by the USPS.

I have a feeling I will never see those dollars again.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Heath posted:

I've had good results with Black Swan in English Roses and Fuyu Gaki if you want something brighter.

This was a while back, but I finally graded those exams yesterday. Black Swan in English Roses was perfect. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
English Roses is the most under-appreciated red and it always gets overshadowed by its Australian cousin.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Heath posted:

English Roses is the most under-appreciated red and it always gets overshadowed by its Australian cousin.

The old one or the purple one?

English Roses looks way better either way.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
:nms: :nms:

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
There are pilot MRs at staples and I was tempted to buy one if only to have a pilot that doesn't have a fine nib, but they all have fine nibs?? Ugh! The colors are really nice though :( I would have paid $16 for a medium nibbed pilot. Also I now know that my "first" fountain pen was a plastic sheaffer ugh, what an awful pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Metropolitan comes in a medium, though I don't know how easy they are to find in a B+M store rather than online.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My wife likes fountain pens and has a pilot metro, what can I get her that's good in the 30 dollar range on Amazon for xmas? I don't really care if it's the PERFECT PEN I figure it's more exposure to different kinds that matters.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What sort of designs is she a fan of? Sleek and modern? Cute and fun? Traditional and luxurious? There are a number of good options in that price range, with style being the main differentiating feature.

Off the top of my head, look at the Lamy Logo and Al-star, the various Kaweco Sport models, and the TWSBI ECO and Diamond.

The Kaweco Liliput ($50-80) makes a great gift, IMO, because it's unusual and cute as well as being a good pen, but if you go that route be aware that it is really tiny. With the cap on it's about the size of a cigarette. My sister loves hers though.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 22, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

What sort of designs is she a fan of? Sleek and modern? Cute and fun? Traditional and luxurious? There are a number of good options in that price range, with style being the main differentiating feature.

Off the top of my head, look at the Lamy Logo and Al-star, the various Kaweco Sport models, and the TWSBI ECO and Diamond.

The Kaweco Liliput ($50-80) makes a great gift, IMO, because it's unusual and cute as well as being a good pen, but if you go that route be aware that it is really tiny. With the cap on it's about the size of a cigarette. My sister loves hers though.

I really don't know what styles she likes, I was thinking this would be more to expose her to different shapes of handle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah but I mean you know whether your wife would prefer something like this

or like this

right?

Also all the ones I posted have varying body shapes, from slim and geometric to fat and round, designed for writing with or without the cap posted on the end, etc.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah but I mean you know whether your wife would prefer something like this

or like this

right?

Also all the ones I posted have varying body shapes, from slim and geometric to fat and round, designed for writing with or without the cap posted on the end, etc.

Probably the 2nd one (minus the knurling) at work and the 1st one out and about

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well then google pictures of the ones i've recommended and decide what you think is appropriate, they're all good pens. yeesh

the two I just posted are a Pilot Kakuno, with the smiley face on the nib (about $12), and a Rotring 600 (no longer for sale, about $90-300 on eBay). A Rotring Newton (also not sold any more, similar price range) is a 600 without the knurls. The Lamy CP1 is a good pen in a similar-ish style to the 600 that costs about $80.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thanks, this is good stuff. Alright I'm out now though sorry to disrupt

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's all good, come back with more questions if you got them! Take a look at her pens and try to find out what nib size she's using. There'll be a letter on the nib most likely, EF, F, M, B, BB, which goes from Extra Fine to Double Broad. Or, if she's new to it and you're after something a bit more interesting a stub nib would be cool. TWSBI Eco in 1.1 would be a great gift.

Been getting into dip pens and more calligraphy recently, got a few Zebra G nibs on the way, and I also finished the repair of my Conway Stewart 15:

I'm not happy with the finish on the body, but I think that's because it's dry and cracked with age. I'm going to try taking a dremel and cloth wheel to it maybe. Nib also needs re-seating or re-tuning I think. We'll see how it goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Er, if you like the look of the 600, the Levenger L-Tech is really, really similar, on Amazon and modestly priced.
It also comes in a nice box and won't need a converter buying for it.