Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

incoherent posted:

I'm surprised nobody got hit with go daddy dns issues

https://twitter.com/GoDaddyHelp/status/501720577686507521

People ever don't have GoDaddy issues?

But seriously. I hate them. That is all.

efc - a lot of our clients use GoDaddy for email hosting/server hosting, and the amount of times they randomly start rejecting requests from our servers for no particular reason is tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
LinkedIn is pissing me off today. Every now and then a discussion topic will land in my inbox that sounds mildly interesting. Invariably, it's always just a cesspool of people screaming uninformed opinions. If you're lucky, they use complete sentences and proper punctuation. SA has ruined me forever.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Ynglaur posted:

LinkedIn is pissing me off today. Every now and then a discussion topic will land in my inbox that sounds mildly interesting. Invariably, it's always just a cesspool of people screaming uninformed opinions. If you're lucky, they use complete sentences and proper punctuation. SA has ruined me forever.

No doubt. I got from the American Meteorological Society forum about how the private sector should take up forecasts as it's not the government's job, they'd do it better (statistic evidence contradicts this), blah blah blah, SMALL GOVERNMENT

Things pissing me off: I work call center tech support for servers and I'm tired of sysadmins using the "THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION" line, especially when it's a pre-production server. I just need logs, man. :smith: Doesn't even need a reboot.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ynglaur posted:

Today I got a LinkedIn invite from the CEO's PA... no I don't want to link to you. The discussion forums I get alerts for are more or less the same. People trying to get Pro Services help for free that I can't give them because the product in question (now owned by Adobe) makes a Jenga tower look stable.

Edit: As I type I am getting emails from some marketing droid asking about if their super special snowflake fields have been added to Salesforce today. I don't know, I just make the metadata changes and push them into GIT to be released when the team in charge of releases does it. Which immediately has him ask if I know who made the changes and why I didn't because I am the guy who does that! The fact these people get paid more than me with no real way to measure their performance makes we want to get the van, roll of carpet, shovels and quicklime.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 20, 2014

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm a building tech.

I did the same thing and the amount of broken/misconfigured/outright dangerously designed stuff was staggering. VLANs? gently caress VLANs. SSH is hard to configure out of the box, let's depend on telnet for managing our core switches and routers. Hardware lifecycles? Pfft, no just power cycle the switch that took down the entire science wing when it died. It'll be fine for another month or so. Doesn't matter anyway, to replace that switch it would require digging through a waterfall of dusty Cat5 that's tangled to hell, and that's just too much work.

Oh, and... "What's the WiFi?" "Tsunami. No password." :eng99:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm trying to buy a standard from IHS.

The standard is restricted and so someone sends me a form to fill out to get permission to buy it. I fill it out, am approved.

Is it unreasonable for me to refuse to send my credit card information (Name, number, expiration, cvv code) by email? I asked for a secure method for payment and she first suggested I send 4 different emails and then sends me an excel file. Is this stupid? This seems stupid.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Meh, it's a credit card. It takes all of 10 minutes to resolve if it gets compromised.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Meh, it's a credit card. It takes all of 10 minutes to resolve if it gets compromised.

It's still a pain in the rear end to deal with.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

totalnewbie posted:

The standard is restricted and so someone sends me a form to fill out to get permission to buy it. I fill it out, am approved.

Is it unreasonable for me to refuse to send my credit card information (Name, number, expiration, cvv code) by email? I asked for a secure method for payment and she first suggested I send 4 different emails and then sends me an excel file. Is this stupid? This seems stupid.

Not unreasonable at all, that is dumb as hell. The person you are talking to is probably not technical and doesn't know better but the fact that that's their process is nuts.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

totalnewbie posted:

We flag any outgoing email that has credit card info in it. If I look through the quarantine and find thats the reason the email is in there, I reject it and tell the person to find a better way to do it.

Give them the information over the phone instead?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sirotan posted:

We flag any outgoing email that has credit card info in it. If I look through the quarantine and find thats the reason the email is in there, I reject it and tell the person to find a better way to do it.

We did the same at my last place with a SonicWALL ESA. Worked pretty well since those people dealt with PII all the time. There was a reason we gave them the ability to easily encrypt emails...

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sirotan posted:

I'm glad I'm not completely nuts.

Am I also nuts for really not wanting to (though I understand that ultimately, I might just have to) give them the information over the phone, either? These people probably get CC numbers all the time but I still don't like giving that information to someone else when, in my opinion, it should be handled by a computer/automated system.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am in the doghouse for refusing to leave training for a meeting about a production issue. Then fire me. :shrug:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am in the doghouse for refusing to leave training for a meeting about a production issue. Then fire me. :shrug:

Sounds like it was "affecting production".

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
In a perfect world the CC stuff would be done completely by computer and properly encrypted during transit, storage, et. al. But you can almost guarantee that no matter how else you get it to them, it'll be stored plaintext or in an xls somewhere. Hell, even if it's all done by computer, there's a decent chance it'll be stored plaintext somewhere.

It seems easier to change the card regularly than worry about every simple transaction.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

In a perfect world the CC stuff would be done completely by computer and properly encrypted during transit, storage, et. al. But you can almost guarantee that no matter how else you get it to them, it'll be stored plaintext or in an xls somewhere. Hell, even if it's all done by computer, there's a decent chance it'll be stored plaintext somewhere.

It seems easier to change the card regularly than worry about every simple transaction.

No processor should ever have enough information to forge a transaction in the same place, much less in plaintext or an xls, basically. Especially if it's "all done by computer". This is basic compliance.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

totalnewbie posted:

I'm glad I'm not completely nuts.

Am I also nuts for really not wanting to (though I understand that ultimately, I might just have to) give them the information over the phone, either? These people probably get CC numbers all the time but I still don't like giving that information to someone else when, in my opinion, it should be handled by a computer/automated system.

You're going to have to get the info to them SOMEHOW, since they don't have their act together, calling it in just makes for one (or two, or three, or four) less places your number is recorded somewhere insecure for all of posterity.

In the end, as long as you're being smart and not using a debit card, your bank is the one who is going to have to deal with the problem if poo poo hits the fan.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Pissing me off: Comcast internet. I work from home. For the first 2 years it was rock solid, but at a certain point they did upgrades to increase speed, and it has sucked. Multiple days in a row with either it down completely for hours or it bouncing all the time. Their internet support is crap and either tell me their is an outage so nothing can be done, or tell me it is my equipment or house wiring, even though when I call there is a cut through announcement stating that there is an outage in my area.

I am not concerned for my job yet, but it is really starting to cause issues with productivity.

fake edit: It appears that their network has become sentient, because it dropped for 20 minutes just as I was about to post this.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Pissing me off: Comcast internet. I work from home. For the first 2 years it was rock solid, but at a certain point they did upgrades to increase speed, and it has sucked. Multiple days in a row with either it down completely for hours or it bouncing all the time. Their internet support is crap and either tell me their is an outage so nothing can be done, or tell me it is my equipment or house wiring, even though when I call there is a cut through announcement stating that there is an outage in my area.

I am not concerned for my job yet, but it is really starting to cause issues with productivity.

fake edit: It appears that their network has become sentient, because it dropped for 20 minutes just as I was about to post this.

This is going to sound odd, but replace your modem if you haven't tried it.

Cox did the same thing here ("speed upgrades"), and my old modem couldn't cope, even though it was still listed under supported hardware. Every time I did anything which really utilized the connection, it'd overheat and reboot. A new modem instantly solved my problems.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
You are sort of spot on. 2 years ago we lost connection, called into support, and was told that our modem was dead and we needed to buy a new one. So I ran out and got a new one. When I called into support to swap MAC's, I got the "there is an outage in your area" message. So we just got BS'ed by their support. We put the new modem aside and forgot about it. Fast forward 2 years and they do speed upgrades that require a DOCSIS 3 modem and we get emails and phone calls telling us to upgrade. We remember we bought a new modem, and it was DOCSIS 3. So we replaced it. No effect. We did have a tech come out and check the house and local lines and he did a few things, but every time it is down for a while, there is definitely a node outage in the area.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you just hook an etherkiller up to the coax and blow up whatever flakey kit is causing issues to force a replacement?

(Don't actually do this)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SubjectVerbObject posted:

You are sort of spot on. 2 years ago we lost connection, called into support, and was told that our modem was dead and we needed to buy a new one. So I ran out and got a new one. When I called into support to swap MAC's, I got the "there is an outage in your area" message. So we just got BS'ed by their support. We put the new modem aside and forgot about it. Fast forward 2 years and they do speed upgrades that require a DOCSIS 3 modem and we get emails and phone calls telling us to upgrade. We remember we bought a new modem, and it was DOCSIS 3. So we replaced it. No effect. We did have a tech come out and check the house and local lines and he did a few things, but every time it is down for a while, there is definitely a node outage in the area.
"Just get a new modem" is a classic Comcast lie. If you've still got a DOCSIS 2 modem, by all means, get a new one. But if it's reporting low signal strength, a new modem on your end won't fix it. The only new equipment that would help is from these guys.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Currently pissing me off: The new director being a lazy rear end in a top hat. He keeps pushing his poo poo onto the rest of the techs. We're currently 1 team member short and with the rest of the team members taking their time off (not all at once, mind you) that has left us 2 people short for about a month now. Unsurprisingly, we've been slowly falling behind on tickets. Top it off with the printer tech quitting and the PC techs having to constantly swap out jammed printers. So, we've been pretty busy doing our jobs.

He sends out an email yesterday requesting a quote to replace a failed laptop for OR (OR never bothered to open a request for one). He then sends an email today asking if anyone sent him a quote. I have no idea if any of my co-workers did or not, so I reply stating that I hadn't had the time to do so, but tell him that he has the necessary access to the Dell Premier site so that he can do it if it's an urgent issue (It isn't, they have enough laptops to work, they just want to have a spare on hand). He then replies stating "I could do it, but I'm asking for it to be done". Well, that's fine, but you're gonna have to wait just like everyone else. Particularly since that's a part of his job (all of the past directors did quotes without being a dick about it).

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you just hook an etherkiller up to the coax and blow up whatever flakey kit is causing issues to force a replacement?

(Don't actually do this)

When I did this Comcast were pretty fast to get things fixed, there was also an unrelated house fire down the street at the time so I think they were out there replacing equipment anyway

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Greg Jackson posted:

When I did this Comcast were pretty fast to get things fixed, there was also an unrelated house fire down the street at the time so I think they were out there replacing equipment anyway

If I know that the problem is on the ISP's end I have taken to just unplugging the modem while they run their checks because otherwise they simply won't do anything.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
It's a refrain I keep hearing from our project managers.

"I'm not technical!"

Yet, you work for a technical company, in a technical department that does technical things for technical customers.

Do you see a problem here?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

"I'm a people person! Is this so hard to understand?!"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

poo poo not really pissing me off as much as it could - Openreach (the people who own the cables in the ground for most of the UK) are massively backed-up at the moment, to the extent they have hired 1600 more engineers to get fibre into the ground and network upgrades carried out.

This has meant that an order for a leased line placed in July has now had the completion date pushed back to mid December, which is insane and about 2 months past every 'worst case' prediction. However, to try and take the edge off these slips, the entire construction charges are going away. So an install that previously was costing about £5000 to dig up roads, lay ducting, arrange the road closure, make good again etc, is now being done free of charge.

If I was relying on the original date I'd be pissed, but this is actually pretty decent news.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I could probably go the rest of my life without hearing a project manager use the word "my"

My network engineer
My storage team
My server

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MY SERVER ROOM!!!!

Cool, so you're going to take responsibility when it breaks, since it's yours? Thought not.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I could probably go the rest of my life without hearing a project manager use the word "my"

My network engineer
My storage team
My server

He owns you. Duh.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This conversation once took place, because I am a pedantic little poo poo if I don't like you.

Stripe, when are you going to have my server done?
What server?
The management box for the new environment.
Oh that's yours? I thought the company bought it.

Because when you don't have the ability to change a situation, just act like a dick instead.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That's a bit annoying but your stress level must be through the roof if that's really bothering you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I kinda like it when my manager tells people that my team are "her guys". This work environment is pretty positive tho

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah I'd rather people make claim of things/teams/whatever so I know who to go to when something goes wrong instead of sending an email cced to six different people and none of them reply.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Greg Jackson posted:

I kinda like it when my manager tells people that my team are "her guys". This work environment is pretty positive tho

There's a difference between being protective and being controlling, but there's a world of difference on either side of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

"Just get a new modem" is a classic Comcast lie. If you've still got a DOCSIS 2 modem, by all means, get a new one. But if it's reporting low signal strength, a new modem on your end won't fix it. The only new equipment that would help is from these guys.

I had those problems for a while. Tech would come out, put the Fluke on my incoming, say "Yep, signal is a *bit* low" (which matched with my seemingly random resets all the time), and then DO NOTHING AND LEAVE.

I already had a Motorola SB6120 so I knew and they knew they couldn't BS me about the modem. Finally I said "gently caress it" and bought a passive return signal amp for about $40 on Amazon. Suddenly, all my problems disappeared. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you use a splitter make sure you use a 2GHz or 3GHz splitter instead of a 1GHz (most of the cheap ones found in Home Depot or Radio Shack), they're not that much more expensive. Also, make sure that everywhere you split the signal, you use equal length coax. If you have a splitter and removed a device, either remove the splitter or place a75 Ohm end cap on the unused connector.

Once I did all those things, all my outages have been legitimate multi-user service outages instead of a phone rep throwing a dart at the "chart o' excuses"

Here's the amplifier

The splitter I use

And the end cap I have just in case I remove/move the cable modem.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

flosofl posted:

If you have a splitter and removed a device, either remove the splitter or place a75 Ohm end cap on the unused connector.

This is what a lot of people miss. They don't realize that if they don't cap off those unused connections it can add a poo poo load of noise to the line.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spazz posted:

This is what a lot of people miss. They don't realize that if they don't cap off those unused connections it can add a poo poo load of noise to the line.

This is going to date me, but that's hard earned knowledge (the line lengths and resistor terminations) from running far too many 10base2 networks. Collisions. Collisions, everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

flosofl posted:

I had those problems for a while. Tech would come out, put the Fluke on my incoming, say "Yep, signal is a *bit* low" (which matched with my seemingly random resets all the time), and then DO NOTHING AND LEAVE.

I already had a Motorola SB6120 so I knew and they knew they couldn't BS me about the modem. Finally I said "gently caress it" and bought a passive return signal amp for about $40 on Amazon. Suddenly, all my problems disappeared. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you use a splitter make sure you use a 2GHz or 3GHz splitter instead of a 1GHz (most of the cheap ones found in Home Depot or Radio Shack), they're not that much more expensive. Also, make sure that everywhere you split the signal, you use equal length coax. If you have a splitter and removed a device, either remove the splitter or place a75 Ohm end cap on the unused connector.

Once I did all those things, all my outages have been legitimate multi-user service outages instead of a phone rep throwing a dart at the "chart o' excuses"

Here's the amplifier

The splitter I use

And the end cap I have just in case I remove/move the cable modem.

If nothing else did, this post made my :10bux: worthwhile. Thank you.