Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So my younger brother turned my
£60 Peavey Raptor I got as my first guitar 13 odd years ago into this…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

NonzeroCircle posted:

So my younger brother turned my £60 Peavey Raptor I got as my first guitar 13 odd years ago into this…

improvement IMO

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Totally. He did not enjoy shielding the cavity after adding all his new wiring! Has it tuned/intonated to CFCFAC. Can't wait to hear it!

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Toaster-top pickups best pickups

e: Please do behold this guide from the late 1990s about how to make your brand-new Rick's toaster-tops have all the TONE of '60s toaster-tops by unwinding them and burning them with a cigarette lighter and some other poo poo: http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/toasters.html

tacodaemon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 10, 2014

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I mean, I guess in the late 90s there may not have been anyone building decent toaster top style pickups from scratch and if that was the case then I guess removing windings would be the best way of getting the "right" impedance. There's plenty of replacements available now though, and I definitely wouldn't ever advise someone who wasn't experienced in working with coils of very fine wire to start tearing apart their Ric.

quote:

Now, holding the pickup in one hand such that the face of the pickup is sideways, grip the little end of loose wire, and pull it away from the face. The first few times the wire will keep snapping off due to the glue, but soon, you’ll be pulling a long, silky stream of wire off the pickup. Don’t be bashful, you should be pulling off at least several windings per stroke of the hand. Make about 200-250 hand strokes, then break the wire.

Yeah, that's probably not the greatest idea.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

th1nk posted:

And more, er, abstract things:

That looks like its based off a Charvel Hydra.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Jesus christ, I kind of want one. Without a Floyd though.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Thinking about incorporating something like this: http://www.makershed.com/products/color-organ-triple-deluxe-ii-kit into the Tele build.

Kinda like this

but with leds instead of light bulbs

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

Thinking about incorporating something like this: http://www.makershed.com/products/color-organ-triple-deluxe-ii-kit into the Tele build.

Kinda like this

but with leds instead of light bulbs

YES YES YES YES YES YES

That is gaudiest thing I've seen in ages, it's fantastic.

Gbscaster update: Just put third coat of varnish over "TONE", hopefully it should dry enough so that I can do a bit more stuff to it later, currently trying to figure out the electrics which is giving me an actual headache.

E: Since I got a lot of my stuff back I found a load of "B-Stock" bodies which, while perfectly functional, have some cosmetic issues. Might upload some pics to the thread later for everyone's consideration if there aren't any objections? Don't want to take over the thread...

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 11, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

E: Since I got a lot of my stuff back I found a load of "B-Stock" bodies which, while perfectly functional, have some cosmetic issues. Might upload some pics to the thread later for everyone's consideration if there aren't any objections? Don't want to take over the thread...

Take over the thread. I almost exclusively come to it for your updates tbh

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Quickscope420dad posted:

Take over the thread. I almost exclusively come to it for your updates tbh

poo poo, you're making me blush.

sod it, I'll post some stuff up after I finish my dinner.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think I may have posted this one before...

Sloppy routing on this one (thankfully it's all covered up by the hardware), it was one of my first bodies and I thought I'd have a go at doing it freehand (the neck pocket is nice and tight thankfully). It's a two piece body made from a pine roof supporting beam, nice wood but I could not get the grain to sit flat and it's showing through the primer. I couldn't be arsed to clean it up so it's been sitting in a box for long while.

Here's a picture of it before being sprayed with the neck attached;

The bridge is actually a strat bridge without the trem block. I was going to put a coil-tap toggle where the whammy would go.

Bearing in mind that it's way too much work for me to paint it, what should I do? I was thinking wallpaper, or maybe fur.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

The bridge is actually a strat bridge without the trem block. I was going to put a coil-tap toggle where the whammy would go.

Bearing in mind that it's way too much work for me to paint it, what should I do? I was thinking wallpaper, or maybe fur.

Go the butcher's and get a load of pig's blood or something and soak the body in it first. Not sure what to do after that but something tells me a guitar that's soaked in blood, whether you can see it or not (After whatever other body work you do) makes it super metal.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quickscope420dad posted:

Go the butcher's and get a load of pig's blood or something and soak the body in it first. Not sure what to do after that but something tells me a guitar that's soaked in blood, whether you can see it or not (After whatever other body work you do) makes it super metal.

Someone has asked me to do this before, "Could you like, put blood over the bare wood then gloss over it? That would be loving awesome man". He lost interest when I explained that blood goes brown really quickly and that it would probably count as a biohazard if he ever wanted to take it abroad. We got as far as ordering the wood and hardware then he went out and brought a lovely old kramer (Night Swan?) instead then got really lovely when I wouldn't give him his deposit back.

Besides, it's only got 21 frets. 21 frets is not metal apparently.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

Someone has asked me to do this before, "Could you like, put blood over the bare wood then gloss over it? That would be loving awesome man". He lost interest when I explained that blood goes brown really quickly and that it would probably count as a biohazard if he ever wanted to take it abroad. We got as far as ordering the wood and hardware then he went out and brought a lovely old kramer (Night Swan?) instead then got really lovely when I wouldn't give him his deposit back.

pff HE wasn't metal if all he cared about was the colour. What i'm saying is, you could put an entire black matte layer over it, it wouldn't matter. It's not the visual aesthetic of it that makes it metal.

Infact that could be a whole theme; make the most "truly metal" guitar possible, without concern so much for the visual aesthetic as the emotional one?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

The most metal guitar would be made from salvaged wood from that 12th century church varg vikernes burnt down

Dec 26, 2012

Ferroque posted:

The most metal guitar would be made from salvaged wood from that 12th century church varg vikernes burnt down

makes sense

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Didn't Vai have a Jem with his blood in the paint a few years back?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

iostream.h posted:

Indeed he did.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

all the good metal is played on the bottom 5 frets anyway

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
good joke. NOt

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quickscope420dad posted:

pff HE wasn't metal if all he cared about was the colour. What i'm saying is, you could put an entire black matte layer over it, it wouldn't matter. It's not the visual aesthetic of it that makes it metal.

Infact that could be a whole theme; make the most "truly metal" guitar possible, without concern so much for the visual aesthetic as the emotional one?

Thing is that due to storage the soft body has a few dings and such in it, along with the grain problem it will take a lot of work to make it look anything close to presentable and then I couldn't make any profit on it :(. Whereas I could just chuck some wallpaper/fur/denim/gross fabric over the body and it'd looks distinctive enough for someone to snap it up. Tbh I was thinking about covering it in that purple fur you can see the bottom left of the unpainted picture, or maybe something similar in bright orange.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

BLOOD FOR THE TONE GOD.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://www.rondomusic.com/product7119.html very tempted

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

For what, djenting around a campfire?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm not going outside

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If I sever my right pinky finger would you lacquer it into a guitar for me? thx.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

fyodor posted:

If I sever my right pinky finger would you lacquer it into a guitar for me? thx.

Is this a trick question.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

fyodor posted:

Tone fingat

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So everyone's favorite overpriced brand is...Raising prices by 30% for 2015!

Saw this on the guitar thread in ML. Kind of hilarious really. They are getting rid of all the low end models, raising the price by 30% across the board, and sticking their robot tuner thing on everything. Gibson sure knows how to be a terrible company.

That being said, I am probably gonna buy a SG this year around black Friday when all the 2014 models get put on clearance. Better to do it now I guess. I wonder if my 700 dollar Les Paul 60s tribute I bought last year during the end of year clearance will suddenly be worth more than I paid for it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dirt posted:

Saw this on the guitar thread in ML. Kind of hilarious really. They are getting rid of all the low end models, raising the price by 30% across the board, and sticking their robot tuner thing on everything. Gibson sure knows how to be a terrible company.

That being said, I am probably gonna buy a SG this year around black Friday when all the 2014 models get put on clearance. Better to do it now I guess. I wonder if my 700 dollar Les Paul 60s tribute I bought last year during the end of year clearance will suddenly be worth more than I paid for it.

i wonder exactly what it'd take to kill the goose that laid the golden egg

cause this looks to be getting the ball rolling

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Nope, all they have to do is spout some bullshit about 'vintage specs' and the bluesdad set won't be able to fork over their cash fast enough.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

fyodor posted:

How about a thumbnail inlaid(encased?) in a headstock?
http://www.guitarworld.com/randy-rhoads-thumbs

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

:gonk:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

"If we charge more, people will think that we have a better quality product! It's the perfect crime!!"

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

White Dog Eggs posted:

I think I may have posted this one before...

Sloppy routing on this one (thankfully it's all covered up by the hardware), it was one of my first bodies and I thought I'd have a go at doing it freehand (the neck pocket is nice and tight thankfully). It's a two piece body made from a pine roof supporting beam, nice wood but I could not get the grain to sit flat and it's showing through the primer. I couldn't be arsed to clean it up so it's been sitting in a box for long while.

Here's a picture of it before being sprayed with the neck attached;

I know you don't want to paint, but this would look great with a bright blue dye job, and a shitload of metallic clear.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Dirt posted:

Not that I plan on buying a new Gibson, but haha gently caress you Gibson.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

This will only make the kind of retard with too much money that has already been Gibson's only customer for decades want them more, so good going I guess

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Clitch posted:

I know you don't want to paint, but this would look great with a bright blue dye job, and a shitload of metallic clear.

The original idea was metallic blue, funnily enough. Tbh I'm a little bummed I can't paint it*. The shape looks kind of goofy but it's really well balanced, the neck on it is one of my first hand-made ones too.

*I could make it flat enough for spay-painting, but it'd be a few hours of work and by the time I've done that I wouldn't be able to make any money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

"If we charge more, people will think that we have a better quality product! It's the perfect crime!!"

that's actually a valid economic concept

• Locked thread